​
 ​
 ​
$1.45+
7053da06f412cf1bf70adc78d52c7e2d.jpg
81352457a1b387021e20ac97857126c3.jpg
8c5e83672c16d67d3efcd3115f7a0d22.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree for the most part... there's just one gimmick remaining that I don't like: hidden games.
But without a price increase or anything else encouraging you to buy right this second, there's no harm at all in having bonus games. I can see objecting to the original plan to raise prices by $1 in the second week, but the current plan is just "grab it now if you already like it, feel free to wait a week if you're on the fence."

But without a price increase or anything else encouraging you to buy right this second, there's no harm at all in having bonus games. I can see objecting to the original plan to raise prices by $1 in the second week, but the current plan is just "grab it now if you already like it, feel free to wait a week if you're on the fence."
There's no harm in it, but that doesn't stop it from being annoying. I'd just prefer all the cards to be laid on the table from the start instead of having to wait and/or being disappointed when they're revealed.

There's no harm in it, but that doesn't stop it from being annoying. I'd just prefer all the cards to be laid on the table from the start instead of having to wait and/or being disappointed when they're revealed.
The problem with that is it puts us in a very bad position with regards to promoting the bundle. We completely lose the ability to re-promote in many channels, since we're not offering anything new a week later. We lose the ability to get people talking about us again after the sales have dipped. There is a very good reason why it's such a common practice. That's the one thing that has to remain. If we dropped that we'd have to instead adopt something that is more of a true gimmick.

The problem with that is it puts us in a very bad position with regards to promoting the bundle. We completely lose the ability to re-promote in many channels, since we're not offering anything new a week later. We lose the ability to get people talking about us again after the sales have dipped. There is a very good reason why it's such a common practice. That's the one thing that has to remain. If we dropped that we'd have to instead adopt something that is more of a true gimmick.
I do understand the basic reasoning behind doing it, but that still doesn't stop it from being annoying. :whistle2:(

I don't suppose revealing (or hinting at) the games from the start (but only adding them later on) would be a sufficient substitute either.

I do understand the basic reasoning behind doing it, but that still doesn't stop it from being annoying. :whistle2:(

I don't suppose revealing (or hinting at) the games from the start (but only adding them later on) would be a sufficient substitute either.
Not really, since that would make the later promotion significantly less effective. It's not just whether we can create a new post on Reddit. It's also all the retweeting and other related community posts. Many of those people already were aware of it, and they're less likely to re-promote for us on an already known game solely just being added and not revealed as well.

This is especially true for a bundle like us. We don't run multiple bundles at once or have ongoing sales from a store front. So we can't cross-promote through posts related to those.

I'll just chime in and say I don't mind the bonus thing.  It's annoying, but it's been a rare occasion when a bonus actually sways me on a bundle since I usually have my mind made up when I first see the bundle anyways.  

I'll just chime in and say I don't mind the bonus thing. It's annoying, but it's been a rare occasion when a bonus actually sways me on a bundle since I usually have my mind made up when I first see the bundle anyways.
Most people will be like that. And it's rare that a bundle puts a real highlight title in their bonuses. If they do, then there is a very high chance it's because they had issues that prevented it from being in the bundle at the beginning. Something really noteworthy is obviously going to be more effective from Day 1.

I'll just chime in and say I don't mind the bonus thing. It's annoying, but it's been a rare occasion when a bonus actually sways me on a bundle since I usually have my mind made up when I first see the bundle anyways.
I don't mind it enough to constantly complain about it, or to hate a bundle just because of it, but (I think you already know what's coming) I do find it irritating.

Indie Gala bonuses typically make or break their bundles for me, Indie Royale's are almost certainly write-offs, and Humble's usually fit into either "great" or "rubbish" (which does cause me to hate some of their bundles due to the "commit now or risk paying extra $$$!" pricing structure. Groupees bundles usually hold up on their own (sometimes due to the music), and the game bonuses are typically disappointing. I don't know where Blink fits yet.

Most people will be like that. And it's rare that a bundle puts a real highlight title in their bonuses. If they do, then there is a very high chance it's because they had issues that prevented it from being in the bundle at the beginning. Something really noteworthy is obviously going to be more effective from Day 1.
Sparkle 2 Evo was more appealing than half the other games. :p

Ultimately it's one of the few issues people might have that we can't resolve. Or at least can't for the near future. To be fair though it's a very rare issue. Since we're still a very new bundle we can't afford to lose the re-promotion. It would seriously hurt the viability of it going forward. Especially with a bundle that has to go the extra mile to ensure that we don't cross-bundle or use repeats that were involved in bundles with excessive sales tactics. If Blink ended up similar to Humble Bundle then the re-promotion isn't nearly as significant.  That might not be true though, since Humble continues to use it. Though we don't have the same risk factor involved.

I think that's very sound reasoning. In fact, I know I specifically mention it again to people in my social networks anytime a game is revealed. The thread here always gets bumped every time something is added.

I personally kinda like the "reveal" strategy as it becomes something I look forward to and am excited to see when it happens. If I've already bought the bundle it's like a little bonus. If I haven't, then I am anxious to see if it's the title that will push me towards a buy.

I'm probably in the minority but I'm with Detruire in that I find bonuses irritating marketing shenanigans.

If they do need to do them, I actually prefer they be stupid and accidentally (or accidentally on purpose) let them leak the first day like Gala did so I can make a decision one way or another and be done with it. Or a hint even is fine I guess.

I hate waiting or feeling like I might forget to check back or whatever. Just tell me and let me figure out if I want it or not without a lot of mystery and baiting nonsense.

Ultimately it's one of the few issues people might have that we can't resolve. Or at least can't for the near future. To be fair though it's a very rare issue. Since we're still a very new bundle we can't afford to lose the re-promotion. It would seriously hurt the viability of it going forward. Especially with a bundle that has to go the extra mile to ensure that we don't cross-bundle or use repeats that were involved in bundles with excessive sales tactics. If Blink ended up similar to Humble Bundle then the re-promotion isn't nearly as significant. That might not be true though, since Humble continues to use it. Though we don't have the same risk factor involved.
Oh wow, I had no idea you posted here Casey. Been a big fan of the Blink bundles (bought both tier-2s so far), heard about the site from another place and never bothered to check here.

Anyways, I 100% agree with your reasoning, and I was very pleased when you decided to drop the second-week $1 bump gimmick. You guys have come out as one of the best new no-bullshit bundle sites, and it's been refreshing compared to what Humble has turned into.

Honestly, the bonus games are a completely understandable marketing tactic that hurt no one (seeing as the price never changes unlike elsewhere), and the people who would complain about them are in the minority and/or are too impatient to wait a week without buying. Because they don't affect pricing, it's possibly the best implementation of the tactic thus far and I am fine with you guys sticking to that as your secondary "draw" (your primary "draw" being your unique selection). Don't tank your sales by adopting that feedback like you did with the removal of the $1 bump, they're completely different circumstances.

Keep up the good work. Hope to see your bundle next week. I entered the South Park contest for the hell of it, I'll let you know if I won?

Have no problem with mystery games as long as the base bundle was good enough to buy. Sounds like complaining just to complain to be honest, but idk - this is the internets, you're allowed.

I'm probably in the minority but I'm with Detruire in that I find bonuses irritating marketing shenanigans.

If they do need to do them, I actually prefer they be stupid and accidentally (or accidentally on purpose) let them leak the first day like Gala did so I can make a decision one way or another and be done with it. Or a hint even is fine I guess.

I hate waiting or feeling like I might forget to check back or whatever. Just tell me and let me figure out if I want it or not without a lot of mystery and baiting nonsense.
To be fair I actually do let loose a few very vague hints. Anything more than that and it potentially has some ramifications on the re-promotion. It's easier for IG to have a mistake (intentional or not) have little effect. They've been around a lot longer, usually have more than one active bundle nowadays, and the Gala Store. They have added promotional channels that we simply don't have to make up for it.

We do try to make it so people have ample time to decide after the final unlock. I've seen it a couple times where an unlock is added on the final day, and as a bundle buyer myself I am not a fan of that. It also doesn't really make a lot of sense to me as a coordinator, since you already have the ability to re-promote on the final day through most channels. So you're wasting an opportunity to do it earlier, and make it easier on the people sitting on the fence.

Oh wow, I had no idea you posted here Casey. Been a big fan of the Blink bundles (bought both tier-2s so far), heard about the site from another place and never bothered to check here.

Anyways, I 100% agree with your reasoning, and I was very pleased when you decided to drop the second-week $1 bump gimmick. You guys have come out as one of the best new no-bullshit bundle sites, and it's been refreshing compared to what Humble has turned into.

Honestly, the bonus games are a completely understandable marketing tactic that hurt no one (seeing as the price never changes unlike elsewhere), and the people who would complain about them are in the minority and/or are too impatient to wait a week without buying. Because they don't affect pricing, it's possibly the best implementation of the tactic thus far and I am fine with you guys sticking to that as your secondary "draw" (your primary "draw" being your unique selection). Don't tank your sales by adopting that feedback like you did with the removal of the $1 bump, they're completely different circumstances.

Keep up the good work. Hope to see your bundle next week. I entered the South Park contest for the hell of it, I'll let you know if I won?
Thanks for the comments. I try to be as active as I possibly can through a few different communities (usually while I wait for email responses). I also try my best to answer any questions, comments or criticisms people might have. We're very big on being as interactive as we can. We're already working on adding a few things that have come up through discussions on Reddit, CAG and the Steam forums. I think going forward the community itself should be our greatest resource to improve what we do.

I personally kinda like the "reveal" strategy as it becomes something I look forward to and am excited to see when it happens. If I've already bought the bundle it's like a little bonus. If I haven't, then I am anxious to see if it's the title that will push me towards a buy.
This exactly!

I live a sad life, so let me have something minor to look forward to after the initial bundle drops. I enjoy the "wait, there's more?!!" feeling of seeing the bonuses unlock, whatever they may be (something I don't have is great, but if I do own it it's another game to giveaway). Just my 2¢

I'm looking forward to the third Blink bundle more than I have looked forward to recent Humble Bundle releases.  You guys are doing great work. 

Buying bundles on day one? What? Embrace your inner procrastinator!

I'd add something that none of the ritalin-addled bundle addicts have a problem with...

I tend to forget to key-redeem the bonuses added after I bought a bundle (even on HIB).

Buying bundles on day one? What? Embrace your inner procrastinator!
I just like to get it over with. Why wait?

Besides if the games have cards you pretty much have to unload them ASAP at the very start or the prices plunge down the toilet.

Besides if the games have cards you pretty much have to unload them ASAP at the very start or the prices plunge down the toilet.
Yeah... but you're talking about pennies on the dollar. Not worth the added stress :)

When a game is bundled, sometimes if you wait after the rush of cards dies down (3-4 months) the price on them goes back up a little. Depends what the backgrounds and icons are. So there's no point in unloading cards at bare minimum price, I wait, and then sometimes I get a little more or bare minimum (so nothing lost)

You know, I thought I felt the same way as you. Then when I really mulled it over, I realized... what the hell else am I going to be doing with my time? I know damn well that I check CAG multiple times a day and follow all the PC/bundle threads religiously. I even check the sites before I check here... just in case no one else has. :)

I think I've maybe let one slip by me, forgotten, in all the time I've been collecting games.

To support what you're saying though, most of us probably know immediately whether or not we're going to be buying a bundle. If you're ready to commit on day one, then it probably would be nice just to go ahead and know the full selection of what you're buying, redeem the keys, and then move on.

Yeah... but you're talking about pennies on the dollar. Not worth the added stress :)
Look at what site you're on. Stressing over pennies is what we do! :lol:

When a game is bundled, sometimes if you wait after the rush of cards dies down (3-4 months) the price on them goes back up a little. Depends what the backgrounds and icons are. So there's no point in unloading cards at bare minimum price, I wait, and then sometimes I get a little more or bare minimum (so nothing lost)
Yeah it depends. Anime stuff tends to rebound the best though, but still there's nothing like getting in before the bulk of the bundle hordes do.

No offence meant to the card collectors out there (level 72 here), but the initial card selling period after a bundle launches is not really something we are really concerned with in regards to how we run the bundle  :p

No offence meant to the card collectors out there (level 72 here), but the initial card selling period after a bundle launches is not really something we are really concerned with in regards to how we run the bundle :p
I never said you were. :p I'm just saying as a bundle buyer it's one of the factors I consider and one of the reasons why I'd just prefer to get it figured out whether or not I am going to buy a bundle sooner rather than later.

It isn't the only reason but nonetheless it's something I think about. If you don't care about it as a bundle organizer that's fine.

I think for people on a site called cheapassgamer you are going to get a certain subset who are factoring in how much they may get back when selling the cards which to some acts as a sort of rebate.

I never said you were. :p I'm just saying as a bundle buyer it's one of the factors I consider and one of the reasons why I'd just prefer to get it figured out whether or not I am going to buy a bundle sooner rather than later.

It isn't the only reason but nonetheless it's something I think about. If you don't care about it as a bundle organizer that's fine.

I think for people on a site called cheapassgamer you are going to get a certain subset who are factoring in how much they may get back when selling the cards which to some acts as a sort of rebate.
We don't focus on cards, but we definitely do acknowledge their popularity. But we can't really spend time analysing how the holdouts, that don't like bonuses, are being impacted by the loss of the initial sales period. I think it's pretty safe to say that that specific group is a very small handful of people. Pretty much a perfect example of just not being able to please everyone.

Keep in mind though that there is a newsletter too that notifies when unlocks happen. I'm pretty sure every bundle has one. And we send out ours immediately after.

No offence meant to the card collectors out there (level 72 here), but the initial card selling period after a bundle launches is not really something we are really concerned with in regards to how we run the bundle :p
I wouldn't worry about it, since the smart sellers wait a while, anyway :lol:

On a side note, I came up with a name, should you guys ever choose to try a side bundle, like the Humble weekly.

Since blinking implies using both eyes, and blink bundles run for two 2 weeks, a one-off bundle that runs for only one week could be called a Wink Bundle.

Cuz…cuz…you know…Blink -> 2 eyes -> 2 weeks. Wink -> 1 eye -> 1 week...

I was up till 4 in morning working on that one. Your welcome.

We don't focus on cards, but we definitely do acknowledge their popularity. But we can't really spend time analysing how the holdouts, that don't like bonuses, are being impacted by the loss of the initial sales period. I think it's pretty safe to say that that specific group is a very small handful of people. Pretty much a perfect example of just not being able to please everyone.

Keep in mind though that there is a newsletter too that notifies when unlocks happen. I'm pretty sure every bundle has one. And we send out ours immediately after.
Okay I guess you're taking this whole thing as a 'You shouldn't do bonuses because I want to know up front so I can sell cards! :bomb: :twoguns: :boxing: whereas in my mind the conversation veered off on a tangent about card prices and how bundles effect that and I am sitting here going 'Why is this guy last wording on the internet defending every reply I make about checking card prices'?

Threads go off on tangents so I'm officially telling you I went off on a tangent about the cards and prices how it factors into consideration of my buying a bundle, irrespective of later bonuses or no, and do whatever you want with your bundle, since you will anyway. Not every random comment I make in this thread is a direct criticism of you and your bundle. I'm also perfectly happy to be in that minority you don't care about pleasing.

And I checked and I am signed up for the Blink newsletter so that means I will get notice when games are added.

In case I didn't make it clear before, while the whole secret bonus thing to me is somewhat irritating, like Detruire it's not enough to stop me from buying a bundle if I want it. At the end of the day it's really not a huge deal and if what I am saying is giving you the impression that it is a gigantic deal to me and that you have to continue to respond to it then I'm clearly not expressing myself properly here.

*Edited to add: It never crossed my mind at any point that I was telling someone what to do with their bundle or that I thought a change would or should be made because my own personal opinion. It really was just that. An opinion.

Spoder has 13 items on his wishlist, Mooby has 231(holy crap, really?!?). Spoder, you better go get a wrist brace, you got some clicking to do.
See, like my problem with wishlists is by the time I put EVERYTHING I want on there, it'd have half the catalog. I tried to use the Wishlist feature on my 3DS and by the time I was done it told me it was full and I couldn't add any more.

And then I remember what the fuck is the point, since nobody's going to buy me anything off it or something.

bread's done
Back