Blizzard Battle chests - $7.99 BB

mcgavin27

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Best buy has the Diablo 2,warcraft 3, starcraft, and wow Battle chests on sale for $7.99.

This is instore and online.

Posting from my phone, I'll attach links when I get to my computer.

Are items that are OOS for shipping automatically listed as unavailable for in-store pickup? I somehow doubt that my local Best Buy sold out of D2 battle chests overnight.

Diablo is back in stock as of 2 minutes ago (says sold out on page that lists all four battle chests, but is in stock when you go to the specific product page)

My local store had plenty and they even had the price label for 7.99 for all 4 sets. Picked up the Diablo II set (says nothing about Diablo 1 on the box), Starcraft and Warcraft III.

I searched on amazon.com and they show an old Diablo set, and a new Diablo set. The old set contained Diablo 1 as well, while the new set contained just Diablo 2 and no Diablo 1 (just opened my set to see). The Diablo set I bought came with 2 WoW guest passes.

So anyone lucky enough to find the old set at Best Buy with Diablo 1?

You don't need the discs to play the game, just the cdkeys associated with the game. You can go to battle.net and create an account, connect your account with the discs and you can download the game whenever you want and play without discs.

You can install via discs and if I remember right, you can patch the game by connecting to battle.net within the game and it will update to play without discs-- But I am not sure about that.

The first method I am sure.

[quote name='renandabomb']You don't need the CDs to play the game, just the cdkeys associated with the game. You can go to battle.net and create an account, connect your account with the cdkey and you can download the game whenever you want and play without cds.[/QUOTE]
I know that's true for D3, SC2 and WoW, but does this work with Warcraft, Starcraft and old school Diablo as well?

Saw the Starcraft BC back in stock, so I ordered one for shipping. Will hold on on buying WC3 since I never playing it and have no true interest in the universe/story.

The WOW one looks interesting, but I bought the BC a few years ago when it included only the first expansion. Good deal on it though.

Thanks a lot OP.

[quote name='TommyLove']I know that's true for D3, SC2 and WoW, but does this work with Warcraft, Starcraft and old school Diablo as well?[/QUOTE]

It does not work with anything older than Starcraft. So Starcraft and onwards works that way.

can any1 else confirm that the diablo battle chest at their local best buy didnt include original diablo 1?

[quote name='TommyLove']I know that's true for D3, SC2 and WoW, but does this work with Warcraft, Starcraft and old school Diablo as well?[/QUOTE]

yeh, I have starcraft and warcraft3 on my laptop right now and they play without discs

cant confirm for diablo1, sorry

[quote name='renandabomb']yeh, I have starcraft and warcraft3 on my laptop right now and they play without discs

cant confirm for diablo1, sorry[/QUOTE]
Oh wow. I plugged in my Starcraft's James Raynor USB and entered my CD key into the Blizzard's website and it's linked up to my account. So I'm assuming all the other battlechest games work as well, but maybe not the first Diablo.

[quote name='Blumpkin']Why? Best Buy offers free shipping and rewards points. Amazon doesn't do either. Why and God's name would you rather buy from Amazon?[/QUOTE]

I'd rather shop anywhere than best buy or their website, that would be why.

ebates + reward zone + BB credit card + BB sale = awesome deal. But outside of these sales, BB prices are ridiculously high. Amazon is awesome just because there are so many ways to earn free gift cards. Amazon also has a more pleasant customer service experience and Prime shipping.. can't be that, yo. I rack up at least $20 a month in free Amazon GCs with Swagbucks and other sites. Plus the Amazon credit card rewards points system is awesome.

I went to a store showing as Unavailable for Diablo to pick up another game. They had plenty of all 4 battle chests in the PC section in stock.

Decided to bite on the WoWIII chest. Pretty sure I never played the expansions. Already have the rest of the games. Might have to register them on battlenet to play without disks so thanks for that advice.

[quote name='boraaa']can any1 else confirm that the diablo battle chest at their local best buy didnt include original diablo 1?[/QUOTE]

I got the Diablo Battle Chest for Christmas from my wife and she got it at Best Buy. It did not have Diablo 1 in it. The version with Diablo 1 included has been phased out for the new version which just has Diablo II and its expansion.

just grabbed 2 of em at my local BB, which as others have said had them all marked as unavailable but they had plenty of copies all of them. Just wished I had waited to order the warcraft3 one and bought it at the store

Just a heads up: some stores may have some of these battle chests in stock, when the website says they are out of stock. The website said my local store had no Diablo battlechests in stock, but when I went there this evening, I saw that they had about four on the shelf.

I picked up Starcraft and Warcraft 3 chests. My store had tons but none were visibly marked down.
I just plugged the keys into my battle.net acct and downloaded starcraft right away.

*Just a heads up* I got an error when installing about not being able to rename a file. Quick google search told me to turn off my anti-virus program during the install and that worked for me

[quote name='pummy84']Just a heads up: some stores may have some of these battle chests in stock, when the website says they are out of stock. The website said my local store had no Diablo battlechests in stock, but when I went there this evening, I saw that they had about four on the shelf.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Every store within 50 miles from me showed out of stock but stopped into my local store and they had all 4 battle chests in stock with multiples of each.

Wow, these games have longevity. I must have passed on the numerous $9.99 deals as far back as circuit city days, but finally bit at $8 this time for SC. Nice to know about the diskless option. As others said, my store also had a few of each despite the online locator, all with $7.99 shelf tags.

[quote name='scottman']Wow, these games have longevity. I must have passed on the numerous $9.99 deals as far back as circuit city days, but finally bit at $8 this time for SC. Nice to know about the diskless option. As others said, my store also had a few of each despite the online locator, all with $7.99 shelf tags.[/QUOTE]

They still run pretty well...though my desktop always 'gets giant' after I play Warcraft 3. It basically looks like safe mode with giant icons.

[quote name='pummy84']Just a heads up: some stores may have some of these battle chests in stock, when the website says they are out of stock. The website said my local store had no Diablo battlechests in stock, but when I went there this evening, I saw that they had about four on the shelf.[/QUOTE]
Wonder if the same could be said of gamestop's website.

Been wanting to get the FFXIII-2 strategy guide half off, but in person(because after shipping it's like

[quote name='slowdive21']They still run pretty well...though my desktop always 'gets giant' after I play Warcraft 3. It basically looks like safe mode with giant icons.[/QUOTE]

It must just be changing the resolution to the 600x480 or whatever was optimal back then for these games and not automatically changing back afterwards.

[quote name='MP77']Apologies if this is a dumb question but do you have to have the CD in the drive to play any the games or can you install them and run them entirely from the install?[/QUOTE]

I think there are NO-CD cracks you can download, I also think an official patch was released ( at least for starcraft) to not need CD anymore either.

You can add all of these to a battle.net account. From there you can download installers, so you dont need cds for any of these

There are some compatibility oddities since some of them are old. I noticed with diablo 2 I had to install the expansion in order for it to even run, without that it wouldnt start due to directx errors.

With starcraft there are color issues since it tries to force 16bit color but windows 7 doesnt like that and tries to revert back. In game the colors look fine but the menus and video are messed up. Theres a workaround though of leaving the 'Screen Resolution' change window open in the background, run in win98 compatibility mode, and all is well. I think that one might depend on your graphics card and if it can compensate

[quote name='ezelkow1']
There are some compatibility oddities since some of them are old. I noticed with diablo 2 I had to install the expansion in order for it to even run, without that it wouldnt start due to directx errors.

With starcraft there are color issues since it tries to force 16bit color but windows 7 doesnt like that and tries to revert back. In game the colors look fine but the menus and video are messed up. Theres a workaround though of leaving the 'Screen Resolution' change window open in the background, run in win98 compatibility mode, and all is well. I think that one might depend on your graphics card and if it can compensate[/QUOTE]

With Starcraft, you can also kill the Windows 7 Explorer shell and the colors will display perfectly. I set up a batch file that kills the explorer.exe process, opens the game, and then restarts Explorer when the game is exited. It's not ideal, but it's a small inconvenience to get such a great older game working well.

[quote name='DaiMonPaul']With Starcraft, you can also kill the Windows 7 Explorer shell and the colors will display perfectly. I set up a batch file that kills the explorer.exe process, opens the game, and then restarts Explorer when the game is exited. It's not ideal, but it's a small inconvenience to get such a great older game working well.[/QUOTE]

yes this is what I had to do with Starcraft: Brood Wars also.

Just create a text file and in the file have this in it:

Code:
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
"C:\(Path to game)\StarCraft.exe"
Start explorer.exe
The path to game would be wherever you installed Starcraft, where your Starcraft.exe is located. After doing that, rename the notepad file to Starcraft.bat or whatever, just make sure it has the .bat extension. Then just double click the .bat file as normal whenever you wanted to play Starcraft.

[quote name='YBX87']diablo 2 , and starcraft brings back alot of memories, are the community still active on those games?[/QUOTE]

im sure the original starcraft is still active, people tend to stick with the original

[quote name='gundie']Diablo back in stock. Just ordered 1.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the Head's Up. Managed to get one this time.

Fyi: my best buy showed unavailable on all battle chests for in store pick up, however, they had 10+ of D2 AND SC but a bit fewer of the WoW BCs.

So if you really want these it doesn't hurt to take a gander in store if it's convenient for you.

Got a copy of diablo shipped. Hope it goes through. Quick question, my pc isn't the best for gaming but I should be able to run diablo fine right? I remember playing it years ago on a shitty pc and it ran decent.

Sad when I saw Diablo was sold out, but thanks for the bump as I was able to get a Diablo Battle Chest. Already got the other two (Starcraft and Warcraft 3) when they were $10. I don't have much interest in WoW, so I'm good.
Thanks!

I have Diablo 2 keys attached to my battle net account, but I am hard pressed to have a nice little battle chest sitting on my desk along side the others. Zzzzzzzzz

[quote name='ezelkow1']yea, its minimum is only a 233mhz, im sure whatever you have will run it fine[/QUOTE]
I figured it would, thanks

[quote name='jgran737']I have Diablo 2 keys attached to my battle net account, but I am hard pressed to have a nice little battle chest sitting on my desk along side the others. Zzzzzzzzz[/QUOTE]

Diablo 2 keys aren't attached permanently, are they? They're the old-style account where, if you don't use it long enough, it goes away? Or did that change. I've had multiple battle.net accounts over time and tied the same D2 to each.

[quote name='GUNNM']You need the disc in at all times + a valid cd key for them to install[/QUOTE]

Not true, you can register the keys at battlenet and then they become digital copies.

bread's done
Back