Blockbuster - $10 Unlimited Rentals

MeesterPepe

CAGiversary!
I walked into my local Blockbuster Video yesterday and discovered that they are doing a promotion through 9/6/09 called 'Summer! Escape Pass.'

Pay $10 and get unlimited rentals for games (and movies) for one week. You may only have one game or movie out at a time. There is no restriction on how many times you may buy this pass.

I figure, since I have nothing else to do, I'm going to be able to blast through at least 3 games in one week making this a fantastic deal. Normally game rentals are $8 so if you only play two games you're saving at least $6.

http://www.blockbuster.com/bargains
Use the 'Find a Store' to see if a Blockbuster is near you.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Gotta love those 8 day weeks, Professor.[/QUOTE]
No offense, but
fgorillalolm70e544epg7.jpg

I haven't read the 3 pages yet....

You need a credit card to open the account, but you don't need another one when you sign up. I know for the Movie Pass you needed to give them a new CC for them to auto-bill you.

No need for eight-day-weeks. Rent on day 1, 3, 5, and 7 - keep the last one for a week.

Blockbuster's still have the $22 a month for unlimited movie/games, they just figure that $10 is a easier to sell number. Sadly, it does work really well as ive been told there are people going on their 3rd consecutive term for the month.

roc's feather;5998196 said:
Huh. How old are these posters who both don't own a credit card and don't have acess to a car?
Maybe under 16?

On another note, I heard about this $10 deal, but not the $15/week version. So I can rent a game and several movies during this one week. Score!

finally jumped on this today. just finished my first of at least 3 platinum trophies over the next week with Terminator Salvation

I guess this can be used as an insurance policy on renting games. Renting one game at BBV is about $9.50 the last I checked. And extra $1(including tax) so that you can return the rental if you think it's garbage is a nice assurance. Hell, I wished I had something similar when I rented Terminator a few weeks ago.

Yeah, I think this Summer Pass is more for Movie Renters who just so happen to have a few days to pass on viewing some random movies. Even though the monthly pass is a better deal if you keep it for more than one week back to back, it is a good deal for just a week of "nothing better to do". If you watch more than 2 movies within that period, you've paid it off already and gotten at least one free rental. As for games, if you rent more than 1, you've done the same. And it seems that a lot of people still don't have credit cards or don't keep much money on them (check cards) to get the monthly ones that renew automatically. This one is just convenient since you know it won't draft every month where you basically feel "obligated" to keep using it even if you don't have the time, since you've paid for the entire month anyway.

For the games, like the person above mentioned, adding another $1 or so to have the option to trade a game out for free really isn't that big of a deal. Since there is always a likelihood that you could beat it before the week is done or you feel like the game is crap. Then, you just do a little switcheroo and you're not out another $10 (games here are $8.99, but always different I know). Still, $19.99 for the month thing is still a better deal, but only if you want to invest in a month of keeping/trading a game. Since you have to have a credit card anyway for the game, so that's not really a deciding factor (or shouldn't be anyway). All in all, either plan would definitely be a huge step up from paying full price for about 4 games a month, since the game would still have normal rental terms for those w/o late fees.

Game selection/availability is crap at (most/maybe all) Blockbusters, so I can definitely see it being worthless even for the monthly plan for that reason alone. For example, mine only got 1 Prototype per system. :bomb:

I always thought, there was a movie pass and a game pass that they were two different things they could not be combined.

last time i was there two games out at a time was $34.99

Is it only specific stores that do a DUEL pass Movies/Games pass?

or is my local Blockbuster full of shit!

i wanted to buy a "pass" that covered movies and games and they said it couldn't be done. I asked about this about 4 months ago.

[quote name='life.exe']Just getting Gamefly would be a better deal imo.[/QUOTE]
This.... plus Gamefly has some pretty nice deals on buying used games sometimes (got PoP for $17 shipped and GTA4 for $12 shipped)

For games I wouldn't bite, but I did consider taking advantage of this to burn a shit ton of movies over a week period. Especially since I live 2 blocks away from a blockbuster.

Oh god this is even here on CAG. I am -so- tired of pushing this deal already, and it lasts for...over 2 more months.

It's not terrible if you're already going to rent a game. Here in central florida we have day/week rentals as a test market, so it's working a bit differently here(week rental is already 9$ for the game, so for a dollar more you get to swap it out)...But since you need a CC to rent ps3/wii/360 anyway, and for 22$+cc on file you could get unlimited monthly rentals, the "Deal" isn't that good unless you literally ONLY have a week to use it.

I don't bother telling customers that because if they're smart enough they'll ask me about what else we have, and if not, I get another escape pass sale for some corporate honcho who might actually be deluding himself that we are running a "deal".

But this is just my take on it.

*Edit* Oh and after reading most of these posts, it's funny, of course I agree. "10 a week? Are they kidding? For double that you get a month." Was my reaction. I was doing the math in my head for all the different kinds of rentals(again, different here, weekly/daily rentals, daily is very cheap but it IS a dollar extra a day per movie, 2 per game) and in what way this would actually benefit someone. After figuring out how specific a situation someone had to be in to use it well, I laughed at the pass. But it's oddly easy to sell and a lot of people are interested. I'm still dumbfounded.

You rent on the first day, play for the first and second days, and return on either the the second day or third day. Play the next game on the third and fourth day, return either on the fourth day or fifth day. Play the next game on the fifth and sixth day, swap on the sixth or seventh. On the seventh day, you rent one more game, which has the full rental period. Count them up, 4 rentals. No need to apologize, you already made yourself look like a fool.

[quote name='josemp81']I always thought, there was a movie pass and a game pass that they were two different things they could not be combined.

last time i was there two games out at a time was $34.99

Is it only specific stores that do a DUEL pass Movies/Games pass?

or is my local Blockbuster full of shit!

i wanted to buy a "pass" that covered movies and games and they said it couldn't be done. I asked about this about 4 months ago.[/QUOTE]

Oh and, for atleast my area, yes we offer a "combo pass" as I'm seeing most people that go to blockbuster have posted here know of it/have it. It's movies and games, pretty sure it's been going longer than 4 months...3+ years of BBV kind of gets crunched in my brain.

Anyway, the price for the single movie pass, 22, is now the price of the single combo pass(1 at a time of EITHER). And we still offer 2 movies at like..29.99 or something, or 2 out combo pass for 35.

It depends. Gamefly for me took about a week to send in a game and receive a new one. So in a month, I paid about $4 a rental. If you are able to take full advantage of the summer pass, you can get 3 to 4 rentals a week, $3.33 a rental or $2.50 a rental.

I am moving pretty close(I think about a mile with only 2 lights) to a blockbuster at the end of the month, will take adavantage of this deal while I am out of internet service.

Only work three days next week, so I might have to pick this up for some Ghostbusters and other new games. Not a terrible deal like people are suggesting.

Yeah, I mean they're not usually real fast turnaround, but it still works out cheaper than this (and of course Netflix for the DVDs/Blu Rays). Not a terrible deal though!

B&M stores = no waiting for mail, so it still adds to your advantage. Of course, the time to get your ass over there is another story... I might try this (well, i gotta see the selections first though).

I have the $22/monthly combo deal and am more than satisfied with it. Initially the games I wanted never seemed to be available but then I figured out that my blockbuster (and perhaps most other BB stores) get their games either on Tuesday or Friday afternoons. It helps that there's a store about a mile from work so I wander off anytime and pick up what I want to play.

Wish I had this when I was grade school and got summers off. My parents would have been ecstatic to keep my brother and I busy for a week for just 10 bucks.

This is good for people who has time on their hands and for people who just want to try games out before they buy. Does anyone know if this works for blu ray movies too?

[quote name='plutoknight']Close, up north near Sherman.

Way back in the late 90s, my family and I, who used to use Blockbuster extensively for game rentals, kept getting overcharged for games we brought back on time. Not to mention the people who work there are generally rude -- managers et. al -- their game selection has gone to crap in the past 6-7 years, and they always find a reason to screw you over.

I go to Hastings exclusively now. I've yet to have a problem with them.

The last time I stepped foot in a blockbuster was during a b1g1 where GTA was 14.99. Well, it was, until the manager feigned that GTA4 wasn't on sale used, on sale used for that price, or that they didn't have it in the disc drawer (despite them being 4 empty cases with "USED GAME" on them for sale in the USED game section).

/end rant.[/QUOTE]

Sherman's Blockbuster does suck pretty bad. Luckily I live not far from the Denison Blockbuster and they have really nice and helpful people working there. Not only that alot of gamers work there.

[quote name='roguejedi5']This is good for people who has time on their hands and for people who just want to try games out before they buy. Does anyone know if this works for blu ray movies too?[/QUOTE]

The regular monthly pass and the week passes work for any rental in the store.

I'm kinda on the fence about this one too. I would not mind a week or two having this, then I could play a few cheap games or short games I probably would not ever buy.

Or you could not be ripped off and do the $21.99 /month pass. It's a lot better than the summer escape pass. Only downside to the $21.99 /month pass is you need a credit card.

This summer escape pass is nothing, but a rip-off if you look at it. $10 for a week. That's $40+tax for a month when you could do a $21.99 /month pass for a month. Same goes for the 2 out at a time pass. $15+tax for a week. So $60 /month when you could just sign up for a $29.99 movie pass or a $34.99 combo pass.

This pass is only good for people who only have a week to play video games or if you don't have a credit card.

And since there are questions regarding all the passes:

1 OAT (out at a time) movie pass - $21.99
1 OAT Combo Pass(either movies or game) - $21.99
2 OAT Movie Pass - $29.99
2 OAT Combo Pass - $34.99

That's all. Most Blockbusters sign you up for the Combo pass whenever you do a one at a time because it's better and it's the same price as a movie pass unless you have an idiot employee who has no idea what they're doing.

Edit - I see vortex already said that these passes are a joke. And yes, I am tired of pushing these damn passes already. For a "store" to be successful, we have to get about 100 passes a week. Good luck with that BBV.

We're averaging 75 a week =) Amazingly. It truly is ASTOUNDING at how easy these sell but if a few months ago you'd offer them a movie pass you'd think you were a swamp salesman from down south trying to offer them a lovely chunk of swampland for the mere price of their eternal soul and every penny their grandma left in her will.

I would take advantage of this deal if my Blockbuster had more than 2 copies of any decent game.

75% of the time I walk out of there empty handed (like today). People have caught on to showing up at opening time to get the good games.

[quote name='roguejedi5']This is good for people who has time on their hands and for people who just want to try games out before they buy. Does anyone know if this works for blu ray movies too?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can get Blu Rays as well.

I don't know if this has been mentioned already but my Blockbuster gives you the first month of the game pass for $9.99 instead of $21.99. It's a great way to rent a lot of games and see if it is worth the price. I was a member for awhile at my store and was also a gamefly member and I think maybe the Blockbuster is a better deal since the turnaround time at gamefly was almost a week for me. Gamefly has a better selection though.

[quote name='whotheheck']I don't know if this has been mentioned already but my Blockbuster gives you the first month of the game pass for $9.99 instead of $21.99.[/QUOTE]

Sounds YMMV. I haven't been able to give a deal to newcomers for any pass for a long time.

[quote name='freshzen']lol @ people that don't have credit cards, how old are you guys like 12?[/QUOTE]

I'm 24 and don't have a credit card. LOL @ those people with Credit Cards that killed The American Economy.:whistle2:|

[quote name='d_south_cr']I'm 24 and don't have a credit card. LOL @ those people with Credit Cards that killed The American Economy.:whistle2:|[/QUOTE]

No it wasn't. It was our government's no-limit credit card.

Blockbuster usually has a one out at a time combo pass (movie or Game) for $25 or two out at a time for $30. So $10 a week is more than the normal monthly cost.

Yea I saw this deal at my local BB last week and thought it's a rip off and a waste of $10. If it was $10 for 2 weeks then that would be nice.

I miss the days of 5-day, $3 SNES/Genesis rentals.

Nothing brightened up a weekend like a stop to the local video store.

Nowadays your almost better off ordering Gamefly.

$21.99 1 one a time combo works best for me. Gamefly takes a year and a half to get a game to me, and I got a BBV 1-2 miles away.

Retarded ass deal. If you are a kid who has free time and wants to play games it SEEMS like a great deal, but a free one month trial of gamefly will fit your needs so much better.

bread's done
Back