Blockbuster 5 for $20 blu ray back 8/10-ongoing

hawaiiboy

CAGiversary!
Got a email this morning to start 5 for $20 deal immediately. As usual any $9.99 title or less qualifies. There hasn't been a blu ray price drop since the last sale on the 4th of July.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up Despicable Me, Public Enemies, The Losers, Quantum of Solace, and The Expendables.

All in all a great day. Wish I found "How to Train Your Dragon" but Despicable me is fine by me.

[quote name='doodmandood']
All in all a great day. Wish I found "How to Train Your Dragon" but Despicable me is fine by me.[/QUOTE]

I was in the same situation, only reversed. I couldn't get Despicable Me last time, but I got How to Train Your Dragon. Didn't see any HTTYD this time, but did get Despicable Me. I'm a happy camper.

I'd offer to trade it/sell it, but it's one of my all time favorites so there's no way I'm letting it go.

[quote name='stripwhite']Picked up Despicable Me, The Town, The American, 9, and The Road. A couple are rental copies, but it's so cheap, I couldn't pass it up. Already ordered some blu ray cases for them so they'll look good on my shelf.[/QUOTE]

So there's no real chance of Blockbuster carrying them in the actual blu-ray case?

I've actually heard of a couple that may have some behind the counter, but I've asked at my BB, and they don't have any. For the most part, you're stuck with the big, ugly, black cases unless you buy some blu cases yourself. They can be found pretty cheap.

I went to two Blockbusters. The first had no idea of the sale, but I did pick up Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii) for $25 used. Kinda high for me, but the game has been hovering at the $40-$45 mark for over a year now and the disc was in "like new" condition. The Club Nintendo code was even still in the box. Lots of copies, so it should be easy to get one in good shape if you're interested.

Anyway, the second Blockbuster I went to did indeed have the sale.

My haul:

- The American (rental version) -- extras included
- Paul Blart: Mall Cop -- extras included (box says "movie disc only" but that just means no digital copy)
- Devil
- Nanny McPhee Returns (rental version) -- extras included
- Shooter

All of the movies listed above have extras, but I made a special note for three of them because they're either rental versions (which are usually stripped of extras) or otherwise have a disclaimer on the box that could lead to confusion.

Nanny McPhee was mispriced ($12.99, I think) and the cashier looked at me like I was retarded when I asked him to scan the price. He pointed at the box and showed me the big red sticker, as if I could somehow miss it...LOL. I have a feeling he thought I was trying to scam them or I expected them to make an exception for me. When I made it clear that I wasn't asking for any special favors, just that I'd had previous experience with some movies having a higher sticker but ringing up at a lower price, he scanned them.

I had The Wizard of Oz with me ($16.99, I think) and was hoping it would ring up lower, but no dice there. They looked at me like I was mentally challenged when I said, "What a shame!" :p That would've been a top find, but alas, it wasn't to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hawaiiboy, question for you. Have Salt and Unstoppable dropped to $10 at your store? Several people on the Blu-ray.com forums mentioned getting those titles with this promo, but at the 3 BBVs I've visited thus far, they're marked $13 and $17 respectively.

On another note, grabbed a few more animated flicks tonight:

Open Season 2
Disney's The Wild (I had honestly not even remembered, or maybe ever known, this movie even existed.)

Also picked up a few movies that seem to be pretty rare at these BBV sales from what I can tell:

Lonesome Dove (2 disc CE)
Afro Samurai Season 1
Gods & Generals (I'd seen this one once before, but didn't pick it up at that time.)

By the way, for people who care about this type of thing, here is a good place to get blank blu ray cases for your movies. Their cases are the official elite and vortex cases. You can get 25 vortex cases for around $13.xx shipped. Elite cases are a little pricier, but they have the latch on the side, which some people prefer.

There are several HTTYD BDs at my local BBV. I'd be happy to pick one up for you, but I am really only trying to find the Bourne movies at the moment...

[quote name='doodmandood']HTTYD seems like such a fun movie. I REALLY wish I could have found it.[/QUOTE]

Hawaiiboy, question for you. Have Salt and Unstoppable dropped to $10 at your store? Several people on the Blu-ray.com forums mentioned getting those titles with this promo, but at the 3 BBVs I've visited thus far, they're marked $13 and $17 respectively.

Prices are universal so if a couple people have gotten it then they are probably $9.99 even though u see it marked otherwise. I can check on those for u tomorrow.

[quote name='stripwhite']By the way, for people who care about this type of thing, here is a good place to get blank blu ray cases for your movies. Their cases are the official elite and vortex cases. You can get 25 vortex cases for around $13.xx shipped. Elite cases are a little pricier, but they have the latch on the side, which some people prefer.[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks! Much appreciated.

I went back and bought some more today at a far away BBV:

Rocky Balboa
House of Wax
Risky Business
Finding Neverland
Ponyo

I'm pretty much looking for mostly older movies now I guess because I already bought all the new releases I want, except Kick-Ass which continues to elude me.

I also bought

The Notebook "limited edition" new for $12.99
The Social Network new for $12.99

The social network is $12.99 used right now, so I bet it will qualify for the next 5 for $20 sale. I just really wanted the special features blu-ray disc, which the rental version is missing.

I also saw Disney's The Crimson Wing: Mystery of the Flamingos used for $9.99. I guess I should have bought it because it has pretty good reviews and looks like the cheapest price online is around $13 used. Here's a link to it on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Disneynature-...1NAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313128345&sr=8-1

For $4 a piece, I figure with some of these I can watch them once and if I seriously dislike the movie, I might be able to resell and at least get my $4 back. That's what will probably happen with Ponyo. I probably should have done that with that flamingo movie too.

[quote name='SCDallas']Today I got:

The Road
Transporter 3
Year One
Hancock
Body of Lies

Also bought The Informant on DVD for 99cents.[/QUOTE]

HB, are these dvd prices universal too or are they some manager special?

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Prices are universal so if a couple people have gotten it then they are probably $9.99 even though u see it marked otherwise. I can check on those for u tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Well, I had several BBVs actually check the price on those two titles, and they weren't ringing up as $9.99. Maybe they just hadn't updated their systems with the universal price yet? Frustrating, I really wanted to grab both Salt and Unstoppable.

My fiance and I went to a Blockbuster we hadn't visited in a long time and left with quite the Blu-ray haul.

Picked up:
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
Be Kind Rewind
The Brothers Bloom
Changeling
Clash of the Titans (1981)
Eastern Promises
A History of Violence
I Love You, Man
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Jarhead
Juno
Layer Cake
Memento
Milk
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Paranormal Activity
Poltergeist
Quantum of Solace
Rachel Getting Married
A Scanner Darkly
Sunshine
Tropic Thunder
The Wolfman
The Wrestler
Zombieland

Can you guys show me how to check if a title is available at any store within 50 miles or so using Google shop that I've been hearing about? I tried searching Inception using google shop, but it comes up with title not available. Thanks.

[quote name='Investor']Can you guys show me how to check if a title is available at any store within 50 miles or so using Google shop that I've been hearing about? I tried searching Inception using google shop, but it comes up with title not available. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Every BBV will have multiple copies of Inception. It will not be hard to find.

I stopped by one of my local Blockbusters yesterday and picked up the following:

The Road
Despicable Me (it said Rental, but it was the retail disc)
Inception (Rental)
Red Cliff (Part 1 and Part 2)

I was very glad that they sold the Red Cliff discs separately so that I could get them as part of this deal. $8 for the whole movie is a pretty good deal as far as I'm concerned. I did have to put The Book of Eli back because I couldn't find four other movies, but I figured getting The Road was good enough. It should also be much easier to find a cheap version of Eli later on.

Well, I had several BBVs actually check the price on those two titles, and they weren't ringing up as $9.99. Maybe they just hadn't updated their systems with the universal price yet? Frustrating, I really wanted to grab both Salt and Unstoppable.

That's right I forgot that this could/is going to be a problem going forward. A few weeks ago things changed where each individual store has to go into the system Monday morning and "accept" price changes for the week. The price changes are no longer automatically updated therefore if a store doesn't do what they're supposed to things will sit at the wrong price until they accept the price changes.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']That's right I forgot that this could/is going to be a problem going forward. A few weeks ago things changed where each individual store has to go into the system Monday morning and "accept" price changes for the week. The price changes are no longer automatically updated therefore if a store doesn't do what they're supposed to things will sit at the wrong price until they accept the price changes.[/QUOTE]

Is that something only a manager will do? I mean, if I stop in to the BBV and tell them this, will any worker be able to do it?

Is that something only a manager will do? I mean, if I stop in to the BBV and tell them this, will any worker be able to do it?

unfortunately not. only store mgr and asst store mgr can do this.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']
Despicable Me (it said Rental, but it was the retail disc)

[/QUOTE]

I was wondering if you can post a picture or describe your retail disc. On my receipt, Despicable Me it says rental but it doesn't say anything on the disc itself, so hopefully I got the retail disc too. Thanks.

I finally got a chance to participate in this deal and picked up blu-ray movies I wanted and a couple blind buys, 10 in total for now. :applause:

Also how do you guys clean your blu-ray disc? Plain soap and water with micro-fiber cloth?

[quote name='D0RC']I was wondering if you can post a picture or describe your retail disc. On my receipt, Despicable Me it says rental but it doesn't say anything on the disc itself, so hopefully I got the retail disc too. Thanks.

I finally got a chance to participate in this deal and picked up blu-ray movies I wanted and a couple blind buys, 10 in total for now. :applause:

Also how do you guys clean your blu-ray disc? Plain soap and water with micro-fiber cloth?[/QUOTE]

For the Despicable Me disc: As long as chapters, bookmarks, special features like GRU Control and the 3 Minion movies are included then its the retail. (I know because I got one from BB too)

Rental discs usually have a bunch of ads and movie trailers before hand and at the menu just two options for Play Movie and Setup.

Cleaning discs: unless its heavily scratched or dirty i.e. hard to come off stains etc. then I Only use a microfiber towel and makes all my discs look brand new i.e. no more smudges, little faint scratches or fingerprints.

[quote name='D0RC']I was wondering if you can post a picture or describe your retail disc. On my receipt, Despicable Me it says rental but it doesn't say anything on the disc itself, so hopefully I got the retail disc too. Thanks.
[/QUOTE]

That's what I got too, but it's definitely the retail disc with bonus features. I'm sure all BBV carries are the retail versions with "Rental" slapped on the slip.

Thanks guys, good to know. After I clean the smudges and such I will have a look-see. The only other one that said rental for me was Fantastic Mr. Fox. I remember reading some were rentals and some weren't, but I don't mind if that one is a rental, it was a blind buy for my sis. I read its a good movie though.

My one store was pretty picked over. They had a BUNCH of $3.99 BD's that were DISC ONLY in a sleeve. The one movie they had was a Tinkerbell one, but I passed since I couldn't really find 4 others for the family. Not a big deal to me. I'm hoping some more NEW ones drop in price. They have some 3D movies that were NEW.

Also, does BBV accept old Gift Cards? I was told they MIGHT again at some point. Any ideas? I had about $20 left from my flipping days.

Also, does BBV accept old Gift Cards? I was told they MIGHT again at some point. Any ideas? I had about $20 left from my flipping days.

we still arent taking giftcards. they keep telling us there is gonna be a resolution soon but they've been saying that for 2 months.

What I got yesterday:
The Town
Inception
Despicable Me
The Crazies
Predators

Then I also bought the Avatar EE for $13. I was happy to find this because it was the only copy I've seen around my local BBs and it was mixed in with the DVD editions of it.

Anyway they also had for brand new:
Dark Knight w/ Bad Pod $10
Star Trek 2009 $10
Wall E $13
TS3 $13
Expendables $10
A Team $10
can't remember the rest.

So I suggest looking in the brand new section to find something new you may have been looking for.

[quote name='doubledown']My one store was pretty picked over. They had a BUNCH of $3.99 BD's that were DISC ONLY in a sleeve. The one movie they had was a Tinkerbell one, but I passed since I couldn't really find 4 others for the family. Not a big deal to me. I'm hoping some more NEW ones drop in price. They have some 3D movies that were NEW.

Also, does BBV accept old Gift Cards? I was told they MIGHT again at some point. Any ideas? I had about $20 left from my flipping days.[/QUOTE]

I keep seeing those disc only $3.99 blu rays at every store. All the ones I've seen are newer movies. Lots of Inception, The American, and other movies that have dropped to $9.99 recently. I also saw Disney's Oceans, The Last Exorcism, and a bunch more marked $3.99. I might go back to buy the disney's oceans one because I haven't seen that for sale at BBV before.

I ended up getting:

The Davinci Code extended cut
The Notebook
The Expendables
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Town (rental copy)
Star Wars the Clone Wars
Rocky (the original)
Twilight
Twilight New Moon
The House Bunny

Had a hard time finding 5 decent movies to buy tonight, mostly just a lot of crap leftovers. I ended up with

Despicable Me
Quantum of Solace
Taken
The Blind Side
and The Bank Job

Plenty of copies of Inception, but I hated the film so I passed. Everything else was mostly direct to video crap, or nonsense that was only in theaters for 2 weeks and was dumped to home video.

Just got back from a BBV store with the following purchases:

Inception
Despicable Me
Legend of the Guardians
X-Men Wolverine
Percy Jackson: Lightning Thief
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Sherlock Holmes
Jonah Hex
Nanny McPhee Returns

There were at least 5 more $6.99 titles that I wanted but didn't get because of the value of the deal. I did see Avatar rental for $12.99, but it didn't state on there that it was the Extended Version, so I didn't pick that one up. I should have checked it more carefully, though.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']That's right I forgot that this could/is going to be a problem going forward. A few weeks ago things changed where each individual store has to go into the system Monday morning and "accept" price changes for the week. The price changes are no longer automatically updated therefore if a store doesn't do what they're supposed to things will sit at the wrong price until they accept the price changes.[/QUOTE]

Damn, so Salt is $9.99 ????? Son of a b. I had them scan it and they said $12.99. I also asked them to scan Mel Gibson's The Patriot blu ray and they said that it's $12.99. Do you know if the Patriot should be $9.99 also?

fuck, the B1G1 sale is going to be a fucking hassle this time around.

[quote name='Investor']Just got back from a BBV store with the following purchases:

Inception
Despicable Me
Legend of the Guardians
X-Men Wolverine
Percy Jackson: Lightning Thief
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Sherlock Holmes
Jonah Hex
Nanny McPhee Returns

There were at least 5 more $6.99 titles that I wanted but didn't get because of the value of the deal. I did see Avatar rental for $12.99, but it didn't state on there that it was the Extended Version, so I didn't pick that one up. I should have checked it more carefully, though.[/QUOTE]

The Avatar Extended edition is $12.99 New. It is not used and does not qualify for the 5 for $20 deal. It may be in one of those plastic security cases or it may be on the shelf that connected to the HDTV display thats playing a movie.

You won't find a copy of Avatar Extended used at BBV. I paid $19.99 for it on Amazon when it was released and I loved it. I sold off my old copy of Avatar on blu ray for $15 after I upgraded to the extended edition.

My store took down all the signs, I think they ended the sale after only 1 day. I was only there to rent but I plan to go back today to buy more so I'm going to ask.

[quote name='SCDallas']My store took down all the signs, I think they ended the sale after only 1 day. I was only there to rent but I plan to go back today to buy more so I'm going to ask.[/QUOTE]

Signs don't matter. Asking them means nothing.

The sale is nationwide. It will work at every BBV, whether the staff knows about it or not. If you take 5 blu-rays priced $9.99 or under up to the register, it will ring up as $20.

Damn, so Salt is $9.99 ????? Son of a b. I had them scan it and they said $12.99. I also asked them to scan Mel Gibson's The Patriot blu ray and they said that it's $12.99. Do you know if the Patriot should be $9.99 also?

Salt and patriot are both $12.99
Unstoppable $16.99
Salt and unstoppable are $9.99 on reg dvd

No blu ray drops this week

I bought another 5 last night. I'm up to 20 blu rays so far for this sale. I guess I'm done unless I magically find Kick-ass or there is a price drop. I bought:

Event Horizon
Ghost Rider
Superman: The Movie
The American
Legend of the Guardians: The fucking CG Owl Movie

bread's done
Back