Blockbuster 5 for $20 blu ray back 8/10-ongoing

hawaiiboy

CAGiversary!
Got a email this morning to start 5 for $20 deal immediately. As usual any $9.99 title or less qualifies. There hasn't been a blu ray price drop since the last sale on the 4th of July.

Last edited by a moderator:
Debating going back and picking up the following because I know my BBV has them:

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Is Easy A $9.99? It was marked $12.99, but it was in the stack.

If so, then I need two more movies to pick up.

[quote name='pun123']
The Fifth Element

really happy I got the 5th element, classic movie can't wait to see it on Blu.[/QUOTE]

FYI, apparently there was an original blu release of 5th Element that's supposed to be pretty bad quality. They remastered it a little while ago, and that version is supposed to be good. There's some way you can check based on what kind of audio encoding is printed on the slip.

Correct - I believe the markers on the back are "Full 1080p" and "True HD Audio" or something along those lines.

[quote name='BingoBrown']FYI, apparently there was an original blu release of 5th Element that's supposed to be pretty bad quality. They remastered it a little while ago, and that version is supposed to be good. There's some way you can check based on what kind of audio encoding is printed on the slip.[/QUOTE]

The fifth element re-issue reminds me of another similar situation at BBV. I keep seeing Let the Right One in (original Swedish version) marked $9.99 used at BBV but I'm always cautious of buying it because the original release had messed up subtitles. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between the crappy release and the good release?

Haha, well, The Fugitive is an awesome movie.

[quote name='billbloodshed']Really scraped the bottom of the barrel, almost ashamed to list mine haha

Twilight
Twilight New Moon
Babylon AD
Semi Pro
The Fugitive[/QUOTE]

[quote name='billbloodshed']Really scraped the bottom of the barrel, almost ashamed to list mine haha

Twilight
Twilight New Moon
Babylon AD
Semi Pro
The Fugitive[/QUOTE]
i thought Babylon AD was pretty good on blu ray,havent watched it for a while though.

Round 4 for me this time around. I feel like i scored pretty well:

LOTR:Fellowship
LOTR:Two Towers
LOTR:Return of the King
Disney's A Christmas Carol
The Ugly Truth

I hadn't intended to buy another stack of 5, but I couldn't pass up the LOTR trilogy.

Twilight
Twilight New Moon
Babylon AD
Semi Pro
The Fugitive[/QUOTE]

Lol ya that is a pretty poor lineup.

I picked up:

Nightmare on Elm Street
The Crazies
The American
Blades of Grass
The Town

Pretty solid load I think. Might stop by the other blockbuster to see what they have tomorrow.

Picked up the batman blu ray bat pod. I was priced 19.99 but rang up 9.99
Thanks whoever posted it.

[quote name='BingoBrown']You were doing really well until you hit here.[/QUOTE]

IMO, it wasn't an abysmal movie, it was good for a few laughs, but a very awkward date movie...

[quote name='mister timely']The Ugly Truth

[quote name='BingoBrown']You were doing really well until you hit here.[/QUOTE][/quote]
Critics mauled the movie, but it was a huge surprise for me and I really enjoyed it. It's like a very rude, very raunchy chick flick for guys. It was MUCH better than I expected, and I liked it enough to pick it up during the very first sale. I'd call it an extremely solid buy, especially for $4.

off topic, but I am never buying cases from MeritLine again. Figured I'd try them out. ordered 2 25 shipments before from DiscMakers and the cases are awesome, like they come right from the store. The ones from Meritline.......and well maybe Meritline has other bluray cases but the ones I got suck. No silver bluray logo, no rounded edges, and the cases are just cheaply made. Also have a hell of a time lining up cover art in them. And they didnt offer me a picture to see what these cases look like before ordering them. Should have just stuck with DiscMakers. Now I have 30 shitty cases. 15 of which I'm using and 15 extras.

Also does anyone know of a site aside from cdcovers.com that you can get bluray cover art and print it at the correct scale? I've found a few sites that only offer custom made covers which dont look bad, but they requre me to become a premium member or some BS. I have a few blurays I own with no cover art and would love to print some off.

one last stop I promise..

Star Trek
Despicable Me
The Blind Side
Charlie St. Cloud
Surfs Up

$12- The Notebook Limited Edition for the wife, had book and all.

Just went tonight, picked up:

Book of Eli (rental)
The Blind Side(rental)
How to Train your Dragon
Prince of Persia: SoT
The Town(rental)

I love all of these movies, but some of them were hidden behind stacks and stacks of movies... suspicious?

[quote name='BingoBrown']FYI, apparently there was an original blu release of 5th Element that's supposed to be pretty bad quality. They remastered it a little while ago, and that version is supposed to be good. There's some way you can check based on what kind of audio encoding is printed on the slip.[/QUOTE]

Watched it tonight, great copy, definitely Blu HD, not grainy at all very good detail said 1080P in the top right of the TV.

[quote name='PurpleJesus74']i thought Babylon AD was pretty good on blu ray,havent watched it for a while though.[/QUOTE]

It's one of those movies where I know its an ungodly piece of crap but I like it anyway. To each their own.

[quote name='pun123']one last stop I promise..

Star Trek
Despicable Me
The Blind Side
Charlie St. Cloud
Surfs Up

$12- The Notebook Limited Edition for the wife, had book and all.[/QUOTE]

The notebook limited edition?

I got star trek during the $.99 sale :)

Ooooh, I should not have seen this thread. I'm gonna have to go pick some up, especially seeing some of the movies that were named in this thread.

But I haven't been to a Blockbuster in years. What's the quality like on the discs/cases?

Picked up 15...

Scott Pilgrim
Max Payne
Fast & Furious
Public Enemies
Quantum of Solice
Sherlock Holmes
Pandorum
Halloween II (2009)
The Karate Kid (2010)
Spiderwick Chronicles
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Inception
Resident Evil: Afterlife
Despicable Me
Journey to the Center of the Earth

[quote name='4thHorseman']Ooooh, I should not have seen this thread. I'm gonna have to go pick some up, especially seeing some of the movies that were named in this thread.

But I haven't been to a Blockbuster in years. What's the quality like on the discs/cases?[/QUOTE]

Discs are usually very good. Cases are just regular DVD cases with the blu-ray inserts in them.

[quote name='One51']Discs are usually very good. Cases are just regular DVD cases with the blu-ray inserts in them.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. Thanks! I'll have to look around the web and see if I can find any cheap blu-ray cases. Had to make a list of Blockbusters in the area. Hope I can find something worthwhile in the next few days.

[quote name='One51']Discs are usually very good.[/QUOTE]

I'd go better than that. They're usually phenomenal. I've bought a lot of these through BBV, and 90% don't have a single mark on them. The remaining 10% usually just have fingerprint marks, with the occasional slight scratch. Really, you can hardly tell they've been pre-viewed at all (and maybe that's why BBV is going out of business...).

[quote name='BingoBrown']I'd go better than that. They're usually phenomenal. I've bought a lot of these through BBV, and 90% don't have a single mark on them. The remaining 10% usually just have fingerprint marks, with the occasional slight scratch. Really, you can hardly tell they've been pre-viewed at all (and maybe that's why BBV is going out of business...).[/QUOTE]

Also, keep in mind these are blu-ray it takes a big scratch to ruin a blu-ray, I have never had one problem with BLU.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']off topic, but I am never buying cases from MeritLine again. Figured I'd try them out. ordered 2 25 shipments before from DiscMakers and the cases are awesome, like they come right from the store. The ones from Meritline.......and well maybe Meritline has other bluray cases but the ones I got suck. No silver bluray logo, no rounded edges, and the cases are just cheaply made. Also have a hell of a time lining up cover art in them. And they didnt offer me a picture to see what these cases look like before ordering them. Should have just stuck with DiscMakers. Now I have 30 shitty cases. 15 of which I'm using and 15 extras.

Also does anyone know of a site aside from cdcovers.com that you can get bluray cover art and print it at the correct scale? I've found a few sites that only offer custom made covers which dont look bad, but they requre me to become a premium member or some BS. I have a few blurays I own with no cover art and would love to print some off.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, Meritline used to carry really high quality Blu-Ray cases; raised silver logo, rounded edges, grooves, good quality hub - the whole nine yards. I bought some and they were worth every penny. Recently, when I ran out b/c of this sale, I checked back and that model was out of stock. It was replaced by the poor quality cases that they're selling now.

I still haven't had any luck finding pink blu-ray cases, either. :cry:

[quote name='The Punisher']are these the same cases like the New movie ones in retail stores like Walmart, best buy?[/QUOTE]

yes. get the Viva Elite.

Seems Blockbusters are dorpping the prices on a lot of there "New" blurays to 12.99 What I mean by this is non-used. Some of the better titles I saw:

Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3 (2 Disc)
WALL-E
The Notebook Limited Edition
Avatar 3 Disc Collector's Edition

I already have the 3 Toy Storys so passed on those, and couldnt get myself to buy The Notebook even with all those extra goodies............The Notebook defines chickflick....and well yah.............not going in my collection.

So picked up Avatar and WALLE. :)

Also bought these for the 5 for $20:

Lakeview Terrace
The Book of Eli
My Bloody Valentine 3D
The Crazies
Dinner for Schmucks
The Day the Earth Stood Still
The Reader
Speed Racer
Funny People
Devil

What about Vortex Eco-Lite 2-Disc Blu Ray they compared to the Viva Elite they seem like the better deal since they can hold 2 for the same price. Would like to put backup DVD in with blu ray.

[quote name='pun123']What about Vortex Eco-Lite 2-Disc Blu Ray they compared to the Viva Elite they seem like the better deal since they can hold 2 for the same price. Would like to put backup DVD in with blu ray.[/QUOTE]

they make Viva Elite 2 Disc. Go with what you want but you may be getting a shitty case. Viva Elite is quality.

[quote name='dashrendar']It's a shame shipping is $5.50 (for 25) because otherwise it would be a very good deal.[/QUOTE]

I split 100 with a buddy. As I recall, it ended up being 38 cents a piece.

[quote name='dashrendar']It's a shame shipping is $5.50 (for 25) because otherwise it would be a very good deal.[/QUOTE]

it still is a really good deal. Unless you want to go with crappier sites with crappier cases. (Shakes fist at Meritline)

[quote name='BingoBrown']I'd go better than that. They're usually phenomenal. I've bought a lot of these through BBV, and 90% don't have a single mark on them. The remaining 10% usually just have fingerprint marks, with the occasional slight scratch. Really, you can hardly tell they've been pre-viewed at all (and maybe that's why BBV is going out of business...).[/QUOTE]

Normally, I would have said great but of the 15 I had bought 2 had huge gashes. I had to return them for other copies.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']it still is a really good deal. Unless you want to go with crappier sites with crappier cases. (Shakes fist at Meritline)[/QUOTE]

I agree. It's like $10 on Amazon for a pack of 10.

[quote name='alrighthearthis']DiscMakers may cost a little more but the cases are fantastic and they've always shipped quickly when I order.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but confused. Who makes all those blu ray cases like the ones we see in retail stores like best buy, walmart, etc.? The blu ray cases like in disney movies, sony, etc?

[quote name='The Punisher']Sorry but confused. Who makes all those blu ray cases like the ones we see in retail stores like best buy, walmart, etc.? The blu ray cases like in disney movies, sony, etc?[/QUOTE]

Viva Elite

Viva elites have the bluray logo stamped on and have a tab on the side. The Vortex have the bluray logo actually imprinted into the case and don't have a tab on the side.

[quote name='stripwhite']Viva elites have the bluray logo stamped on and have a tab on the side. The Vortex have the bluray logo actually imprinted into the case and don't have a tab on the side.[/QUOTE]

actually you got that switched

the ones with the latch are votex. the ones that Warner and Fox uses without the latch are the Viva Elites

[quote name='wormraper']actually you got that switched

the ones with the latch are votex. the ones that Warner and Fox uses without the latch are the Viva Elites[/QUOTE]
I guess Discmakers got the pictures wrong on their site then.

Can someone please clarify if this is "supposed" to work with new movies that ring up as $9.99 or less?

I inquired about it at a store in San Francisco and the manager overheard me and said that if the movies rang up as 5 for $20 and were new that he would refuse to sell them to me.

I wasn't really sure what to say since I'm not 100% clear if the process is automated or what.

Edit:My PC is broken, so I'm checking this thread on my phone. My apologies if this is explicitly mentioned somewhere, but I am only able to skim through.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tekalien88']Can someone please clarify if this is "supposed" to work with new movies that ring up as $9.99 or less?

I inquired about it at a store in San Francisco and the manager overheard me and said that if the movies rang up as 5 for $20 and were new that he would refuse to sell them to me.

I wasn't really sure what to say since I'm not 100% clear if the process is automated or what.

Edit:My PC is broken, so I'm checking this thread on my phone. My apologies if this is explicitly mentioned somewhere, but I am only able to skim through.[/QUOTE]

no, they won't qualify for the 5 for $20... only used ones work for the 5 for $20 deal

bread's done
Back