Blockbuster 5 for $20 blu ray back 8/10-ongoing

hawaiiboy

CAGiversary!
Got a email this morning to start 5 for $20 deal immediately. As usual any $9.99 title or less qualifies. There hasn't been a blu ray price drop since the last sale on the 4th of July.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='EYEL1NER']Has anyone tried giving the cases back to Blockbuster? You think they would accept them back at the store?
I have been putting off buying BR cases since the first 5 for $20 sale months and months ago, but when I finally get around to it, I'll feel bad just throwing the cases away, like they are just being wasted.[/QUOTE]

I actually asked the guy at my BBV if they'd like the cases back. He said he wasn't the right person to ask and to ask "Jason". I'm pretty sure I know which one is Jason, so I'll ask him next time I go in.

Best case scenario - Store credit for them. Wishful thinking on my part. :p
Worst case scenario - They don't want 'em and you simply throw them away.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']Has anyone tried giving the cases back to Blockbuster? You think they would accept them back at the store?
I have been putting off buying BR cases since the first 5 for $20 sale months and months ago, but when I finally get around to it, I'll feel bad just throwing the cases away, like they are just being wasted.[/QUOTE]

Instead of spending more on BR cases, I've been putting all my discs in a CD binder.
The next trip I take to BBV, I'll drop off any cases from the time before. They've always taken them back. I might get a surprised looked here and there, but no store has ever refused them.

Went to my local BBV and all the newer titles listed were 12 or 16.99. I asked the associate at the counter about a couple and she looked them up and said the prices were correct, but they should be dropping soon. Majorly bummed. :(

[quote name='Rob26Smith']Has anybody seen Prophet at their local store? If yes, is it this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Prophet-Blu-r...1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1317492734&sr=1-1[/QUOTE]

I asked at 3 stores I was at to search the computer for this movie. They couldnt find a copy for sale. These 3 stores are very very far apart from each other as well with more BBV store in between.

The only movies I wanted that I couldnt find were A Prophet and that Superman Shazaam movie.

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']Instead of spending more on BR cases, I've been putting all my discs in a CD binder. [/QUOTE]

I'm thinking I may do this as well. I've got so many of these blus from BBV, it would be space and cost prohibitive to buy replacement blu cases. Plus, I've got a bunch of unused CD cases.

I will admit that giant cd binders are probably the best way to store them. Especially if you have some sleek, ultra-modern living room. They can be tucked away nicely I guess.

But I absolutely love having shelves and shelves of hundreds of movies, cd's, and games I can look at. So it's a switch I will probably never be able to make.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']I will admit that giant cd binders are probably the best way to store them. Especially if you have some sleek, ultra-modern living room. They can be tucked away nicely I guess.

But I absolutely love having shelves and shelves of hundreds of movies, cd's, and games I can look at. So it's a switch I will probably never be able to make.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I like having shelves and shelves full of hundreds of movies, and games to look at also. I've bought 300 empty blu-ray cases so far. I guess that they cost me around $100 total. Of the 300 I only have 16 left. (Keep in mind I bought a lot of the 99 cent blu-rays at BBV).

They look sweet displayed on my shelves (that I got for 75% off at Target. Thanks again CAG). But in a way it would be nice to have that $100 back that I spent on blue plastic cases. :)

Who am I kidding? When I use up those 16 cases, I'll probably buy another 100 more.

I finally went and picked up Let Me In, Social Network, Machete, Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, and The Town at my local store. Unfortunately the more I read about the extended cut of The Town (supposed to be more like the book, which I just read), the more I wish I had waited. If anyone wants to trade something for The Town or wants to buy it for $5 shipped, send me a PM.

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']Instead of spending more on BR cases, I've been putting all my discs in a CD binder.
The next trip I take to BBV, I'll drop off any cases from the time before. They've always taken them back. I might get a surprised looked here and there, but no store has ever refused them.[/QUOTE]

I would love to do this to save space, but what do you do with all the empty cases? I suppose you could sell them on CAG and make a nice profit. Hmmmm...

But I could never do it. I enjoy having all the movies lined up on shelves. Plus I would go nuts trying to keep all the movies in alphabetical order while adding more.

[quote name='mrwogs2']The regular edit of The Town is still damn good, don't sweat it too much![/QUOTE]

Oh, I know. I just watched it and it was better the second time, especially after reading the book. But since the Extended Cut adds a bunch of stuff to make it even more like the book, I'd like to check it out. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there's a place that rents the Extended version.

Just a note, The Social Network is one disc out of a 2 disc package. So the only special features on it are a David Fincher commentary and an Aaron Sorkin and Cast commentary. On the disc art (if you would call it that) it says "Disc One: The Film"

great movie nontheless:)

Great deal. Wound up with Salt, Avatar, True Grit, Toy Story 3, Megamind, Red, Easy A, Town, Faster and Dinner with Schmucks. I passed up on Social Network. Damn, Dinner with schmucks instead of Social Network. I own Social Network and love that movie, but I dont see the benefit of the movie on bluray versus dvd, am I wrong?

Damn, I just realized that I now own Dinner with Schmucks. I feel dirty. I hated that movie, but my wife loved it. It's going to be in my friggin' living room....Dinner with Schmucks. FML!

[quote name='romodome']Great deal. Wound up with Salt, Avatar, True Grit, Toy Story 3, Megamind, Red, Easy A, Town, Faster and Dinner with Schmucks. I passed up on Social Network. Damn, Dinner with schmucks instead of Social Network. I own Social Network and love that movie, but I dont see the benefit of the movie on bluray versus dvd, am I wrong?

Damn, I just realized that I now own Dinner with Schmucks. I feel dirty. I hated that movie, but my wife loved it. It's going to be in my friggin' living room....Dinner with Schmucks. FML![/QUOTE]

I really liked the $12.99 NEW blu-ray of The Social Network. The 2nd disc has a lot of great special features if you're into that sort of think. It was worth the price difference for me.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']I really liked the $12.99 NEW blu-ray of The Social Network. The 2nd disc has a lot of great special features if you're into that sort of think. It was worth the price difference for me.[/QUOTE]

What type of extras, I could imagine the extras for this movie, any interviews with the players, maybe a bio onthe people?

I really think the DVD transfer was great and I dont see if the bluray treatment would make a difference to a great movie. I would buy the $12.99 edition if it had bios, interviews and maybe some news coverage over the events. Otherwise, I think the dVd is fine.

Social Network extra BD disc is awesome. Very insightful documentaries on the production. Worth buying new.

[quote name='romodome']What type of extras, I could imagine the extras for this movie, any interviews with the players, maybe a bio onthe people?

I really think the DVD transfer was great and I dont see if the bluray treatment would make a difference to a great movie. I would buy the $12.99 edition if it had bios, interviews and maybe some news coverage over the events. Otherwise, I think the dVd is fine.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mrwogs2']Social Network extra BD disc is awesome. Very insightful documentaries on the production. Worth buying new.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with this. And for 13 bucks, comes with its own distinct case - and the 2nd disc had some very well done documentaries - really a great set on blu for 13 bucks...

Although, this isnt to say the 2 commentaries on the 4 dollar previously viewed disc isnt worth its weight either, honestly - either way, you should own this movie. Love it.

[quote name='mrwogs2']Social Network extra BD disc is awesome. Very insightful documentaries on the production. Worth buying new.[/QUOTE]

I must be a real cheapass. Regardless of extras I'd watch once, I can't see paying the extra $9 just for the extra disc.

[quote name='romodome']Great deal. Wound up with Salt, Avatar, True Grit, Toy Story 3, Megamind, Red, Easy A, Town, Faster and Dinner with Schmucks. I passed up on Social Network. Damn, Dinner with schmucks instead of Social Network.

Damn, I just realized that I now own Dinner with Schmucks. I feel dirty. I hated that movie, but my wife loved it. It's going to be in my friggin' living room....Dinner with Schmucks. FML![/QUOTE]

Nice! How'd you snag True Grit? I saw it at my BBV but it was 16.99. That is, I'm assuming its the 2010 one.

I couldn't sit through Dinner for Schmucks. I like to think i have a very open sense of humor, but I didn't smile once during that movie, much less laugh. I turned it off at 30 minutes.

[quote name='romodome']What type of extras, I could imagine the extras for this movie, any interviews with the players, maybe a bio onthe people?

I really think the DVD transfer was great and I dont see if the bluray treatment would make a difference to a great movie. I would buy the $12.99 edition if it had bios, interviews and maybe some news coverage over the events. Otherwise, I think the dVd is fine.[/QUOTE]

but...but but but...the pores!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Smart Aleck']Nice! How'd you snag True Grit? I saw it at my BBV but it was 16.99. That is, I'm assuming its the 2010 one.

You are right. it was mislabeled. I bought the 2010 version, but the sticker says True Grit (19XX), cant make out the year, but it must be the original John Wayne version, which I saw at another BB for $9.99 also.

Going through my collection and decided to put a few up for trade: The fighter, The girl who played with fire, how to train your dragon, the girl who kicked the hornets nest, The American, Speed Racer. Let me know if anyones interested

If I'm not a member of BBV, can I still walk in an purchase the Blu's? And last I recall not all BBV sold Blu's, at least not the ones near my location.

If I'm not a member of BBV, can I still walk in an purchase the Blu's? And last I recall not all BBV sold Blu's, at least not the ones near my location.

yes and i havent seen a bbv that doesnt sell blu's.

[quote name='toneroni']Would I be able to exchange some blu's for different ones at bbv?[/QUOTE]

If they just allowed a return/exchange for any reason, people would use and abuse that to get "free rentals" so it's totally YMMV. The stores are certainly under no obligation to let you exchange for a different one - UNLESS you have a defective disc that they cannot replace.

I was fortunate to have been able to do an exchange once before, but since that time I've made sure of what I was purchasing.

Thanks for the reply! sometimes i had to make quick decisions as the GF was getting sick of me rummaging through the BR's lol

[quote name='romodome']
You are right. it was mislabeled. I bought the 2010 version, but the sticker says True Grit (19XX), cant make out the year, but it must be the original John Wayne version, which I saw at another BB for $9.99 also.[/QUOTE]

So basically you got True Grit (2010) for 4 bucks? I'm jelly :lol:

[quote name='Smart Aleck']So basically you got True Grit (2010) for 4 bucks? I'm jelly :lol:[/QUOTE]

yeah, got it for $4.00. Rented it a a few weeks ago, great movie. Got 5 more today. Mother and child, Animal Kingdom, Dispicaple Me, Megamind and Scott Pilgrim.

If anyone sent me a PM on these, it was lost since my box was full.
The fighter
The girl who played with fire
how to train your dragon, the girl who kicked the hornets nest
The American
Speed Racer

Looking for Iron man 2, Transformers 2 and some others.
Let me know what you guys have.
I'll check for Sweeney Todd but don't recall seeing it.

[quote name='romodome']yeah, got it for $4.00. Rented it a a few weeks ago, great movie. Got 5 more today. Mother and child, Animal Kingdom, Dispicaple Me, Megamind and Scott Pilgrim.[/QUOTE]

Nice. I liked the 2010 over the John Wayne one
just because of the fact that the Texas Ranger doesn't get clubbed to death.
He was kind of a douche, but Matt Damon was likable in that role.

OT, what are some opinions on the movie Gamer? I saw that in a stack of movies and considered buying it, even though I heard some negative things about it. It seems interesting enough, but usually I blind buy movies I expect to be enjoyable.

Thanks!

[quote name='toneroni']If anyone sent me a PM on these, it was lost since my box was full.
The fighter
The girl who played with fire
how to train your dragon, the girl who kicked the hornets nest
The American
Speed Racer

Looking for Iron man 2, Transformers 2 and some others.
Let me know what you guys have.
I'll check for Sweeney Todd but don't recall seeing it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Smart Aleck']Nice. I liked the 2010 over the John Wayne one just because of the fact that the Texas Ranger doesn't get clubbed to death. He was kind of a douche, but Matt Damon was likable in that role.

OT, what are some opinions on the movie Gamer? I saw that in a stack of movies and considered buying it, even though I heard some negative things about it. It seems interesting enough, but usually I blind buy movies I expect to be enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

Oh dear god, I hated the movie Gamer. I waited like two years to watch it and after all that wait, I wish I hadn't watched it at all.

[quote name='Tsel']Oh dear god, I hated the movie Gamer. I waited like two years to watch it and after all that wait, I wish I hadn't watched it at all.[/QUOTE]

Well then. I think that satisfies my curiosity. I was just asking because I typically don't like action movies unless they know they're trying to be action movies, if that makes any sense. (like the Expendables, it didn't take itself seriously and was a ton of fun to watch)

I loved Gamer. It's fun, over-the-top, and everyone is "in on the joke" (except for Gerard Butler), leading to some awesome scenery-chewing performances from fantastic actors like Michael C. Hall (Dexter) and Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer).

Thanks, I am aware of that link though. I meant more like a Blockbuster Blu-ray trade thread like the one on Blu-ray.com. I think I posted in the link you mentioned but most of the guys there are looking for Blurays with bluray cases and no previous rentals etc.

Bought a few more the other day because I managed to find True Grit (original). I'm sure they had it there before, but it wasn't marked $9.99 before, so I had no idea it qualified.

Alpha and Omega
True Grit (original)
The Next Three Days
Predators
Night of the Demons
(some crappy looking horror movie from 2010, but it's timely because it takes place on halloween).

A couple weeks ago I also bought these and forgot to post them. They're mostly more crappy horror movies:

Dawn of the Dead (remake)
30 Days of Night: Dark Days
Alien Vs. Predator
Alien Vs. Predator Requiem
Species
The Westler
Ong Bak 2
Ong Bak 3
Shoot em up
Diary of the Dead

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']

A couple weeks ago I also bought these and forgot to post them. They're mostly more crappy horror movies:

Dawn of the Dead (remake)
30 Days of Night: Dark Days
Alien Vs. Predator
Alien Vs. Predator Requiem
Species
The Westler
Ong Bak 2
Ong Bak 3
Shoot em up
Diary of the Dead[/QUOTE]

Dawn of the Dead wasn't too bad. Saw it on SyFy the other night and it seems like it would be a great movie to watch with a couple of friends.

bread's done
Back