Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

[quote name='neocisco']Is the just-released (9/16) PotC trilogy just a collection of the previous individual releases?[/quote]

Pretty sure it is.

[quote name='Poor2More']I dont understand why do studios drop vast amount of extras when it comes to blu-ray transfers?[/QUOTE]

Lack of space.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Lack of space.[/quote]Hasn't the trend been to replace a dual-layer HD-DVD with 30GB of space with a single-layer BR with 25GB of space? Isn't it either that, or trying to get more stuff on a disc because of shortages with BR media?

[quote name='shrike4242']Run over to AVSForum.com , they'll have tons of threads about Samsung TV's, including ones specific for specific model types.

You should be able to find what you're looking for in there.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Shrike :)

[quote name='seanr1221']Thanks Shrike :)[/quote]Just be careful over there, as there's tons of cases of information overload from the AV nuts. Just skim through the thread for your model of TV, and I'm sure you'll find what you need.

[quote name='shrike4242']Hasn't the trend been to replace a dual-layer HD-DVD with 30GB of space with a single-layer BR with 25GB of space? Isn't it either that, or trying to get more stuff on a disc because of shortages with BR media?[/quote]

I think the costs of a SL BD25 disk is cheaper and doesn't have as much bottlenecks in production as well as better yields compared to DL BD50 disks. I think what you see is the law of diminishing returns happening here. As well as why release everything on the 1st go when you can double dip the customers a year or 2 later with special edition versions of the same disk, and then they'll include the BD50 filled with extras. Just my guess

[quote name='shrike']Hasn't the trend been to replace a dual-layer HD-DVD with 30GB of space with a single-layer BR with 25GB of space? Isn't it either that, or trying to get more stuff on a disc because of shortages with BR media?[/quote]Are there still titles being released on BD-25 discs?
Even if they are, that doesn't mean there's no space for some extras.

Some discs just come barebones from studios.
It's their fault.
[quote name='GizmoGC']Lack of space.[/quote]
What?

[quote name='dallow']Are there still titles being released on BD-25 discs?
Even if they are, that doesn't mean there's no space for some extras.

Some discs just come barebones from studios.
It's their fault.[/quote]I'll believe the "just come barebones from studios" to a point. If they're migrating from a 30GB DL HD-DVD to a 50GB DL BD, then there should be 20GB left over, if they're not changing anything. Should be plenty of space to move everything over, even if they're changing something like U.Control to BD-Live.

Now, if they're moving 30GB of info to a 25GB SL BD, then they'll have to cut something back to save that 5GB of space.

That was the point I was trying to bring up. If they use the same codec from the HD-DVD version to the BR version, file-size shouldn't change much, if at all.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Lack of space.[/quote]

?? Why is all that I hear....I swore Blu-Ray were suppose to be better then HD-DVD (Media Size wise)...Why can they fit all the extras on HD-dvd but when it comes time to transfer them to Blu-Ray they drop the extras?

I just saw that Speed Racer is on a 25GB disc.
I've been out of the loop and really thought the major studios had dropped this crap.
[quote name='shrike4242']I'll believe the "just come barebones from studios" to a point. If they're migrating from a 30GB DL HD-DVD to a 50GB DL BD, then there should be 20GB left over, if they're not changing anything. Should be plenty of space to move everything over, even if they're changing something like U.Control to BD-Live.

Now, if they're moving 30GB of info to a 25GB SL BD, then they'll have to cut something back to save that 5GB of space.

That was the point I was trying to bring up. If they use the same codec from the HD-DVD version to the BR version, file-size shouldn't change much, if at all.[/quote]Same code = same size, you're right.
Realize that even on 25GB releases, they're not using all that space up.
I'm really surprised they put out Speed Racer on a 25GB disc.
Not that 25GB means they can't put a lossless track, it depends on the length of the movie.
SR is over 2 hours right? Ouch.

[quote name='Poor2More']?? Why is all that I hear....I swore Blu-Ray were suppose to be better then HD-DVD (Media Size wise)...Why can they fit all the extras on HD-dvd but when it comes time to transfer them to Blu-Ray they drop the extras?[/quote]They just do drop them.
Many early movies had nothing on the discs but the movie, and leaving lots of empty space.

Like another user mentioned, it just paves the way for special editions down the line.
I really don't care about extras at all, but dang, don't cut off my audio!

Yeah, I almost think sometimes a lot of these discs where the extras get dropped at the last second now is just the studio saying to themselves "Well, we've already got the extras content. We'll take them off the first release and a year from now we can release a special edition with all the extras back and lossless 7.1 audio".

[quote name='Poor2More']?? Why is all that I hear....I swore Blu-Ray were suppose to be better then HD-DVD (Media Size wise)...Why can they fit all the extras on HD-dvd but when it comes time to transfer them to Blu-Ray they drop the extras?[/QUOTE]

HD DVD was 30GB...and BD is 25GB (or 50GB if they use the more expensive discs).

So they have to drop 5GB...which typically means Extras.

BUT, since Universal used DD+ on many titles, adding DTS MA to each BD means even MORE space is required since it takes up more room then a DD+ track. Thats why you see so many extras being dropped and/or being incorporated into U-Control.

In some cases (End of Days) its just mind blowing. It had a TrueHD track on HD DVD, and for BD, they used DTS MA...and still dropped all the features. Same with Dawn of the Dead.

Universal is set to announce some pretty cool titles in the near future...sadly it looks like some other previous HD DVD titles may have gotten pushed back into 2009

[quote name='GizmoGC']Yep. Mine and another fellow CAGer.[/QUOTE]

Well, coming soon. I just emailed my first review today :)

I'll be watching Finding Rin Tin Tin tonight :whistle2:#

[quote name='Sporadic']I'll be watching Finding Rin Tin Tin tonight :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

I have to watch I-See-You.com tonight :lol: Looks like a winner!

[quote name='pimpinc333']I'm happy. Just got my first Blu Ray Movie. 28 Weeks Later. Just in time for the halloween season too :D[/QUOTE]

Well then, this might be of help to you:

Fox Introduces New $20 Retail Price Level for Blu-ray
Posted in Amazon, Studios on September 20th, 2008 by Dave

In a surprise move, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment appears to have introduced a new pricing level.

While back in March Fox introduced a $30 retail price for some of its less popular releases, the studio is now following Lionsgate with a budget level $20 retail pricing strategy for a subset of the studio's older releases.

Titles with the new $20 retail price tag according to Amazon include Commando, Predator, Kiss of the Dragon, Men of Honor, Pathfinder, Chain Reaction, Entrapment, The Hills Have Eyes 2: Unrated, The Sentinel and Courage Under Fire.

These titles now list for $14.95 at Amazon.

[quote name='neocisco']Men of Honor will be nice once it goes on sale.[/QUOTE]

Its $14.95 right now on Amazon along with all the rest.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Awesome thanks. Is your friend selling DD by any chance?[/QUOTE]

I'll e-mail him and ask him for you.

[quote name='TheRock88']Nice, I'll probably pick up Predator at that price.[/QUOTE]

I will too . When the hell is True Lies coming out on BR ?

Anyone have any info on When these will be release on Blu-Ray..

Friday the 13th (any of them)
Gladiator (I would spend $50 for an ultimate uber collectors edition)
Scarface

[quote name='Poor2More']Anyone have any info on When these will be release on Blu-Ray..

Friday the 13th (any of them)
Gladiator (I would spend $50 for an ultimate uber collectors edition)
Scarface[/QUOTE]

Maybe later this year/early next when the remake comes out
Soon...
Not even planned.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Maybe later this year/early next when the remake comes out
Soon...
Not even planned.[/quote]

soon for Gladiator? Sweet it will be a day 1 purchase for sure, full price and all

[quote name='Sporadic']Well, coming soon. I just emailed my first review today :)
[/QUOTE]

I want to get in on that!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='neocisco']I saw that L.A. Confidential is coming out Tuesday. Gizmo, have you heard anything about it?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, got mine Friday. It has the original cover art, not the one Amazon and WarnerBros.com is showing. Includes a CD soundtrack as well...I have yer to watch it. Just finished both Kill Bill 1 and 2 yesterday.

Amazon knocked a while lot of players down in price.
Sony 300 = $199
Sony S350 = $395
Panasonic 30 = $276
Samsung 1500 = $277

Personally, I'd go with the S350 as my unit was amazing when I owned it.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Amazon knocked a while lot of players down in price.
Sony 300 = $199
Sony S350 = $395
Panasonic 30 = $276
Samsung 1500 = $277

Personally, I'd go with the S350 as my unit was amazing when I owned it.[/quote]
Im just fine with my ps3, do players offer more than what the ps3 blu ray drive offers?

No one believes me, but the audio output from the PS3 sounds worse---compared to my LG BH300, at least. It sounds like it has some kind of DRC thing going on, even when it's clearly turned off.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Yeah, got mine Friday. It has the original cover art, not the one Amazon and WarnerBros.com is showing. Includes a CD soundtrack as well...I have yer to watch it. Just finished both Kill Bill 1 and 2 yesterday.[/quote]

Thanks. If you could post whether they dropped any of the extras once you watch it I would appreciate it.

[quote name='neocisco']Thanks. If you could post whether they dropped any of the extras once you watch it I would appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

I don't have the original to compare...but the BD is loaded!

anyone here get the pirates trilogy and can inform me if its 6 discs in 1 case, or just a box around the individual movies/cases?

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Gizmo, you serious about Gladiator coming to BD soon? That would be great. I cannot wait to see that movie in HD.[/QUOTE]

Yes and No. Studios change their minds all the time for various reasons (disc supply, timing etc.)...right now two studios are moving dates around so much that it may mean a few prominent titles may get moved to Q2/3 next year... As usual, I can't say which studios and/what titles, sorry.

But Gladiator was a serious contender for this year...I too hope it goes through :cry:

bread's done
Back