Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

Eagle Eye in December? Good god. I'm loving this treatment. It seems like Love Guru and Baby Mama were both rushed out as well.

That said, here's my "hit list" of movies that I'll be buying, because I know you guys care so much (and I need to make a list for myself, too):

September 30, 2008

October 07, 2008

October 14, 2008

October 21, 2008

October 28, 2008

• Elf (New Line)
November 18, 2008

December 02, 2008

December 09, 2008

December 16, 2008

[quote name='graf1k']I seem to be the only person for whom Warner never ships early. I have yet to be notified of my L.A. Confidential shipping which means it'll probably be Friday before I have it. That said, the Godfather collection should be here today which should keep me busy.

Hey Gizmo, heard anything about this? (other than Zodiac obviously, which I believe you already confirmed by the insert of another title)

I know I'm probably the only one but I really like Event Horizon for some reason and to know that Braveheart AND Dexter (FINALLY!) are possibly coming in January is giving me a lot of ideas of what to do with Christmas cash. :cool:

EDIT: Linkin and I are on the same wave length or something.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I heard all of those and a few more. I hinted at Braveheart a few days ago :cool:

Not only have I never seen Event Horizon, I have no idea what it is! From IMDB, looks like a decent flick.

Here is whats going on with Iron Man BD:

Disc One is being recalled from all Iron Man BD sets. Why? Apparently issues loading on certain players (Sony and Samsung). Paramount has already sent some reviewers new discs, and all current ones (in retailers hands) are being shipped back to Paramount and being replaced. The Bad SKU and Good SKU are posted a few up as well as in the OP. As I said before, my copy worked just fine in my LG 200s and PS3...so it may just be a small sampling of people having the issue.

So far, I have not heard of a single reviewer who could not get the title to play...so a huge recall like this threw me off. I've been discussing it with a few other reviewers since Saturday (Paramount started to ship out replacements to reviewers - Mine still has yet to come). Kudos to Paramount for doing this rather then dealing with the backlash later.

For you guys getting Iron Man in store (even though Paramount promises them to be the new copies...just in case)
Here's the UPC's:
Defective: UPC: 097361385747
New "Fixed": UPC: 097361385709

I'll stress, this is not a major thing - very minor. Paramount is going to eat 100k discs and since they have the special hard coating, can not be recycled. Paramount is really stepping up for such a minor, minor issue.

The BD is NOT being delayed a week. It may be tough to find Tuesday...but by Friday you should be fun. They are rushing new copies as ASAP.

[quote name='genfuyung']Any chance that the OP will ever start being updated on Sunday? I keep missing out on BRs on netflix because I don't know the release schedule til monday or tuesday. By then they say very long wait.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I can. Never seemed like a big deal until the day they come out, but I'll note it for the future.

[quote name='GizmoGC']

Not only have I never seen Event Horizon, I have no idea what it is! From IMDB, looks like a decent flick.[/QUOTE]

Don't feel bad. I've seen it and have no idea what it's about! Lol it's just a bunch of violent and weird set pieces pieced together. Not a good movie by any means, but it does have some striking visuals and a few imaginative bits.

Yeah EVENT HORIZON is kind of like an outerspace "Dead Calm" mixed with "The Shining". It has its moments and was one of the most expensive British movies ever, but frankly I found some of it unintentionally funny. It's great looking though, but incredibly stupid and derivative at the same time.

All you need to know is it's from the guy who made the RESIDENT EVIL films and the first ALIEN VS PREDATOR. Same kind of movie really, though personally I'd place it below those four also.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Yeah, I can. Never seemed like a big deal until the day they come out, but I'll note it for the future.[/quote]

Thanks a lot man. I lost track of when 21 was coming out so I ended up adding it to my q the day it came out. I just got it a few days ago...

Any of you watch Shoot Em Up on blu-ray? I saw it for $12 at a pawn shop, but since I already have it on DVD I was wondering if it's worth it?

because i was watching a movie and they had sin city out now and the blu-ray movie was old

Japan it was announced already for blu-ray.. its region free so you can import it.

Otherwise, its a waiting game. Studios are more focused on new releases than old ones.

However, since Im fairly certain i read somewhere that they are making a sequel, expect it out around that time if its not out before hand.

[quote name='whoknows']Any of you watch Shoot Em Up on blu-ray? I saw it for $12 at a pawn shop, but since I already have it on DVD I was wondering if it's worth it?[/QUOTE]

Buy it now!

[quote name='starmask2k3']because i was watching a movie and they had sin city out now and the blu-ray movie was old[/QUOTE]

Sin City is coming to Blu-ray in October...only in Canada. Much like how A Nightmare on Elm Street did last week.

Yeah, I know, WTF!

But Newline has no plans to release it this year on Blu-ray but "Alliance" does and controls Newline in Canada (or something like that).

I just imported Nightmare on Elm Street Blu-ray...can't wait to watch it.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I can't believe Dexter isn't out on Blu-Ray yet. Not even a hint of a release date.[/QUOTE]

Um, Season One is rumored for release in January

darkknightfrontvt5.jpg
darkknightbackiw9.jpg

darkknightlimitedgq5.jpg

Warner has finally OFFICIALLY announced the blockbuster of the year, “The Dark Knight” on Blu-ray Disc with a December 9th release date. The title will be released in a Standard and “Limited Edition” version. The later of the two will include a collectible “Bat Pod” and neat casing. The technical specs for both versions would indicate (from the back of the package art) to be on 2 BD-50’s and contain a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround track. The bonus materials are set to include a “Focus Points” feature similar to the studio’s original “In-Movie-Experience” found on past releases such as the first film. Two featurettes will be included in full Hi-Def on the second disc. Those two featurettes are “Batman Tech - The Incredible Gadgets and Tools” and “Batman Unmasked: The Psychology of The Dark Knight“. Also to be included are 6 episodes of “Gotham Tonight” which is supposed to be one of the city’s premier news program and tons of still image galleries will be included as well.

http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=5727

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of people on blu-ray.com and/or high-defdigest.com seemed pretty pissed it doesn't have 7.1 audio. I personally don't care as I don't even have 5.1 yet but from what I remember of the leaked info on the extras, it sounded great,

Very few people have 7.1 systems...does not bother me one bit. I have no interest in ever owning one.

Glad we got TrueHD and not DD5.1

[quote name='rsigley']kind of like how most people complain about not having lossless when they don't have a system to capitalize on it[/quote]
Yeah, so let's put DD5.1 on everything.

Every movie should max out it's video and audio specs, even if not everyone can take advantage of them.

[quote name='dallow']Yeah, so let's put DD5.1 on everything.

Every movie should max out it's video and audio specs, even if not everyone can take advantage of them.[/QUOTE]

It has TrueHD 5.1, shouldn't that be good enough?

It's like bitching if Fox doesn't include that stupid D-Box thing on every release.

[quote name='Sporadic']It has TrueHD 5.1, shouldn't that be good enough?

It's like bitching if Fox doesn't include that stupid D-Box thing on every release.[/quote]Lossless 5.1 should be the minimum, but I'd love for everyone to jump into making 7.1 standard, especially for actions movies such as this.

And yes, I wouldn't mind D-Box in every title as a bonus for those who have it or would have it in the future.

I cannot wait to move in a couple weeks to my bigger place and then I'll finally be able to add two more speakers + amps to my setup.
Perhaps I'll add D-Box to it as well. ::scratches chin::

Getting off topic what is D-Box?

Now back on topic I wonder what type of case comes with the LE set of TDK. Also I would rather have a Joker bust or something then the Bat pod.

[quote name='sendme']Getting off topic what is D-Box?[/QUOTE]

A stupid gimmick that moves/vibrates a special chair you buy from them according to what's happening on the screen.

[quote name='sendme']Getting off topic what is D-Box?

Now back on topic I wonder what type of case comes with the LE set of TDK. Also I would rather have a Joker bust or something then the Bat pod.[/QUOTE]

D-Box is (at minimum) $10,000. The only reason why Fox includes that option is because D-Box pays for it. Its a reall lame chair (or couch) that shakes.

So for the past couple of days Ive been trying to influence what goes into my quick picks. Specifically Ive been trying to get the hulk, iron man, sweeney todd, and wall e blu rays. So, after days of seeing things in my quick picks like a red stapler, a clock, a book on obama, and an electric mouse trap i finally log in today to see iron man and wall e there. Yay I thought, then I scrolled down a bit more and saw they were both the DVD versions...why amazon why?

[quote name='genfuyung']So for the past couple of days Ive been trying to influence what goes into my quick picks. Specifically Ive been trying to get the hulk, iron man, sweeney todd, and wall e blu rays. So, after days of seeing things in my quick picks like a red stapler, a clock, a book on obama, and an electric mouse trap i finally log in today to see iron man and wall e there. Yay I thought, then I scrolled down a bit more and saw they were both the DVD versions...why amazon why?[/quote]I'm not sure if you can even influence the Quick Picks anymore. I've been trying here and there with a few random items, but no luck. Oddly enough, I happened to find Iron Man (Blu-Ray) on there the other day, so I quickly jumped on it. Also found 3:10 To Yuma on the same day and managed to get both in at the gold box price even though it says one item can only be discounted. I haven't even been trying to influence anything Blu-Ray or movie related.

Austin Powers collection comes out 12/2 if anybody cares.

Was L.A. Confidential on sale anywhere when it came out? Also, has The Great Debaters been released yet?

[quote name='graf1k']A lot of people on blu-ray.com and/or high-defdigest.com seemed pretty pissed it doesn't have 7.1 audio. I personally don't care as I don't even have 5.1 yet but from what I remember of the leaked info on the extras, it sounded great,[/QUOTE]

Well, if you have a 7.1 system anyways, you can just bitstream the TrueHD and your systen should be able to spread it accross all 8 speakers.

[quote name='TheRock88']I agree though, Dec 10 cant come fast enough.[/quote]

So you're waiting until the day after it comes out?

What sites do you guys recommend for a comprehensive list of upcoming releases?

[quote name='GizmoGC']Updated OP[/quote]

The only thing you forgot to update was...the date.:)

The only thing that makes the Iron Man movie cool is the suit, take away the suit and it'd be a total yawn fest. Still better than The Incredible Hulk. Maybe I just don't like superhero movies where they aren't a superhero through 3/4 of the movie.

[quote name='pinoy530']Well, if you have a 7.1 system anyways, you can just bitstream the TrueHD and your systen should be able to spread it accross all 8 speakers.[/quote]
Well, yeah, you can do that from any source, but that's cheating. ;)

[quote name='freshzen']The only thing that makes the Iron Man movie cool is the suit, take away the suit and it'd be a total yawn fest. Still better than The Incredible Hulk. Maybe I just don't like superhero movies where they aren't a superhero through 3/4 of the movie.[/QUOTE]

I thought Incredible Hulk was better to.

bread's done
Back