Blue Dragon (360) - 9.76 @ Amazon.com

kayatai

CAGiversary!
Blue Dragon (360) - 9.76 @ Amazon.com

Seems like a decent price for this JRPG, be sure to download the free DLC for it that allows you to increase the difficulty.

I found the combat trivially easy w/o the download (just mash the attack button over and over again with no fear of getting injured). Also I positively hated the whiny characters and was never able to finish the game past the first few hours. At this price you can try it for yourself and hopefully enjoy it, otherwise you can join my Blue Dragon Wasted Hours of my Life support group.

Decent game for 10 bucks.. it's not a good defense but the game did seem much better in disc 2.. i actually ended up quite enjoying it.

[quote name='kayatai']Blue Dragon (360) - 9.76 @ Amazon.com

Seems like a decent price for this JRPG, be sure to download the free DLC for it that allows you to increase the difficulty.

I found the combat trivially easy w/o the download (just mash the attack button over and over again with no fear of getting injured). Also I positively hated the whiny characters and was never able to finish the game past the first few hours. At this price you can try it for yourself and hopefully enjoy it, otherwise you can join my Blue Dragon Wasted Hours of my Life support group.[/QUOTE]

Well, they were made by Akira Toriyama, who has created some pretty whiny characters in his time. ;) And it doesn't help that the localization team loves picking whiny voices for his works, as well. It's a pretty good game for this cheap, and you'll have a hard time finding a good condition used copy for the same price at GS.

I actually really enjoyed this game, and thinks it's one of the best RPG's of this generation (along with Lost Odyssey). I'm probably one of the few who think this too haha. Though I do agree with smoger that it starts off a little slow, but definitely starts to gain momentum.

[quote name='Nesmaster75']I actually really enjoyed this game, and thinks it's one of the best RPG's of this generation (along with Lost Odyssey). I'm probably one of the few who think this too haha. Though I do agree with smoger that it starts off a little slow, but definitely starts to gain momentum.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia were all fantastic JRPGs, but all for different reasons. Blue Dragon for its happy-go-lucky tone and cool art, Lost Odyssey for its pure emotion, and Tales of Vesperia for its characters. They all had great gameplay too.

Edit: But I loved the crap out of FFXIII too, so don't listen to me.

Good job at encouraging people to buy the game TC. It has also been at this price (+/- $0.25) for several months now.

I bought it a few months ago because of the character designs and the "happy-go-lucky tone." However, I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but hopefully it is better than TC makes it out.

The game is fun and I am currently enjoying it a lot, but I have to agree that I hate the characters so much. If they were removed from the story than the game would honestly be improved. Well that and the fact that the game treats you like a 5 year old. Its hard to count how many times the characters repeat things just encase you missed what was happening 3 seconds ago.

Skip to 1:37 to see what I mean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNVPk6xCuE

Aside from the characters being annoying everything else goes from pretty good the great. What I like the most is the ability to choose different classes for each character. Also the combat is solid. The game just dies when it comes to its characters. Oh and the game still looks fantastic.

If you do plan on playing this game then never look up their real ages, it makes my brain want to stab itself for the things they say. And ignore the fact that you are playing a character that is the same height as a table... literally. If you haven't yet, just go into Shu's house and stand next to the table...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kayatai']I found the combat trivially easy w/o the download (just mash the attack button over and over again with no fear of getting injured).[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I wish I had known this when I first played through the game. The Normal difficulty is so easy that it makes the game a bit boring. The next higher difficulty is challenging but not unfair if you're willing to grind a bit.

Also some of the achievements can be rather time consuming. If you plan on getting the 1000 points you'll need to max out each of the characters seven times. There's a way to cheat the system a bit but even then it'll take a while.

Between the annoying characters and the voice that would say "playable" after every video clip made this game awful..I played about 2 hours then had to quit.

Im not a hardcore RPG player, its perhaps one of my least favorite Genres, at least the turned based stuff. But this is a great game for the person who casually plays rpg's here and then. I loved the demo and bought the game a while ago. I just have to get through a backlog of other games too.

[quote name='Vap']Between the annoying characters and the voice that would say "playable" after every video clip made this game awful..I played about 2 hours then had to quit.[/QUOTE]

You could have turned that off, I know I did because yes it is annoying as hell.

[quote name='Vap']Between the annoying characters and the voice that would say "playable" after every video clip made this game awful..I played about 2 hours then had to quit.[/QUOTE]

You can turn that voice off.

[quote name='Blade'] you'll have a hard time finding a good condition used copy for the same price at GS.[/QUOTE]

That's really not the case at all. I've never not found one.

just to le you guys know, this game is almost ALWAYS about 9 bucks on Amazon. In fact it dips to around $8 sometimes. I actually havent picked it up yet because i mean to get it at around 8 again and keep forgeting to check on it =P

I'm surprised by all the hate for this game. For a generation that lacks many quality JRPGs, this one's near the top. It's no Lost Odyssey or ToV, but it's definitely worth your $10.

[quote name='Nesmaster75']I actually really enjoyed this game, and thinks it's one of the best RPG's of this generation (along with Lost Odyssey). I'm probably one of the few who think this too haha. Though I do agree with smoger that it starts off a little slow, but definitely starts to gain momentum.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's easily one of the best Japanese RPGs this gen. That's not really saying much since there have been so few, but Lost Odyssey and this would be at the top of the heap regardless. Lost Odyssey's better IMO (although I think IO likes this better?) but it's still good...I mean it's Sakaguchi.

I paid full price and didn't regret it.

bread's done
Back