Bought Ps3 today...returning tomorrow.. read why

azjosho

CAG Veteran
I've got a Panasonic 50" plasma tv.

The Ps3 is a fucking pain in the ass if you are hooking up with an HDMI cable. The system worked fine the first time I turned it on, but if you make any changes to your tv....like swith over to a different input to check a football score, or turn off the tv while the game is paused when you eat dinner....you get all sorts of problems..

I watched a regular dvd on it also and had to turn everything off and on to get volume when I switched from DVD to game mode or vice versa....i paused the game to take a break and turned the tv off so I wouldn't get an image burned into it... I came back, turned the tv on and nothing... i have spent 3 hours trying to figure out what the hell is going on

I finally figured out that I had to hook up the Ps3 to the tv using the included RCA cables (the red, white, and yellow) just so I could view the menu settings again. Now the controller won't operate, and a screen saying "An available HDMI device was detected. Do you want to output video and audio using HDMI?".... that's just fine and dandy, but what if you only are hooked up with HDMI like I was and cannot see this screen....

Anyway... it looks like if I do ever figure this out that I am going to have the same problem every time I use this... Sony has enough problems so they probably won't fix this with firmware in the immediate future... i'm returning this and getting a 360, like i should have in the first place instead of waiting for this thing....i'm hooked on that damn table tennis game for 360 anyway!...

If you are planning on using this with a high definition tv I would highly recommend reconsidering and searching more on this and other forums....i have found that there are more problems than this one... also do search for "hdtv upscaling" for another big problem....

Hope this helps someone before they have the same problem as me.....and Best Buy better let me return this shit and the game that I bought with it!!

peace

The fanboys are gonna kill you, but I hope you enjoy the 360 as much as I did. And save your money after getting the 360 and GOW, save for the Wii and just go all out Wii60!

Hmm... We'll starting out, you should connect both the cables that came from the box and the HDMI cables your going to use. Set the TV to the A/V cable input, then start up the PS3. Go to settings and set it to HDMI. Then change to the HDMI input signal on the TV.

If you did that then for some reason, your PS3 didn't save your setting correctly. I never saw the "auto detect" thing for HDMI and manually set it to that output so maybe that has something to do with it? What are the specs on your TV?

[quote name='OzCatter']The fanboys are gonna kill you, but I hope you enjoy the 360 as much as I did. And save your money after getting the 360 and GOW, save for the Wii and just go all out Wii60![/quote]

What fanboys? Only ones we get here are the ones who come from other system forums to bash the PS3/Sony.

I bet you 99.9% of the PS3 owners around here are either happy he is sending the system back so someone else who wants it can enjoy it, or would have been willing to help try and figure out what the problem was.

[quote name='NamPaehc']What fanboys? Only ones we get here are the ones who come from other system forums to bash the PS3/Sony.

I bet you 99.9% of the PS3 owners around here are either happy he is sending the system back so someone else who wants it can enjoy it, or would have been willing to help try and figure out what the problem was.[/quote]

My simple question is how can you enjoy it? It's launch was almost exactly like the 360's, a mediocre FPS that has a boring SP mission, overrated EA titles that dont look that good, Fight Night Round 3 that looks basically the same(not a launch but close enough), a Tony Hawk game, and a Need for Speed.

It's already lost exclusives like GTA, Assassin's Creed, and Virtua Fighter, plus the rumored Tekken and MGS4 losses also. So what is the true reason to own a PS3? Blu-Ray, a format most people dont give a damn about, plus some people knowing that dual HD DVD-BluRay player is coming? Nah, not a good reason. Online games? fl0w, the Geometry Wars rip? A PSP port? Definatly not, especially compared with XBL and VC.

So tell me, what is your reason to own a PS3, because I see no reason why.

[quote name='OzCatter']
So tell me, what is your reason to own a PS3, because I see no reason why.[/QUOTE]

Of the launch games, when they hit $20 I want Ridge Racer 7 and Untold Legends 3. The PS3 will have more RPGs, and more quirky Japanese titles I'd like to try too.

And for all the non-exclusive games, I'd rather buy the PS3 versions for a number of reasons (quiet hardware, probably better reliability, better graphics in most cases, better chance of being playable on PS4, etc.)

I have my PS3 hooked up to a 50" Panasonic Plasma (TH50PX60U) and have not had any problems. I had to go into the PS3 menus to change the output to HDMI. I'm pretty sure that I have turned off the TV while the game was paused with no problems. I have not tried a regular DVD in the PS3 but have played multiple Blu-Ray DVDs and had no problems.

How old is your Panasonic TV? Maybe it has an older version of HDMI - I know CheapyD reported some issue on his Panasonic Plasma TV when switching video inputs to play his PS3.

Or maybe you got a lemon PS3...

The problem is probally not the ps3. The problem is your tv. Contact Panasonic via phone and ask for a firmware upgrade. Your tv is probally running HDMI v.1.0. and you need the firmware to be at least v.1.2 to v.1.3 to prevent the audio and video hiccups you are having through the HDMI port. Just go ahead and contact Panasonic. Thank me later.

I have a 61" rear projection lcd Panasonic, and my PS3 works perfectly. I have it in HDMI without any problems. My only complain is that since my TV is 720P when I play Blue Ray movies I have to make sure the setting is 1080I, Other than that I know the PS3 will have some of the best RPG's, and more variety. Just so you guys don't think I'm a fanboy I also have the 360 and the Wii. I love the 360 for giving me enchanted arms, LOTR BM2, Dead or Alive 4, Gears of war. My wii is great with wii sports, DBZ, and Zelda.

Good to know it's probably the TV! I plan on using HDMI on my new Sony as soon as I get a PS3.

32-inch Samsung LCD HDTV here with PS3 hooked up via HDMI cable. PS3 auto detected my tv and is outputting in 720p. No problems at all. Must be a TV issue with OP.

I had mine hooked up to two diffrent TVs via HDMI (one a 34" CRT and a 46" LCD) and not a single problem. Sounds like system didnt autosave the display option or TV issue like the others said.

[quote name='NamPaehc']
I bet you 99.9% of the PS3 owners around here are either happy he is sending the system back so someone else who wants it can enjoy it, or would have been willing to help try and figure out what the problem was.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Yes because we all know how hard it is to find a PS3!

There are only about 600,000 sitting on shelves everywhere, so hard for someone who wants a PS3 (there aren't anymore of those people left) to get one!

:rofl:

Why must all the PS3 haters hang out on the PS3 board? Bash it all you want on the wii and 360 boards.

Add me to the "never had a problem" crowd with the exception of intermittent access problems via wi-fi to Playstation Store (not a major deal for me).

I have my PS3 60G connected to a Sony KDS60A2000 60" Lcos RPTV via HDMI and to my A/V receiver via digital optical - no issues or problems, just outstanding picture and sound either with games or blu-ray and easily switching between the two.

The fellow simply did not setup things properly in the setup menu or is having TV issues.

TexTuna

[quote name='yobaburp']PS3 sucks, i also had that i ordered from nscx.com than sent it back for a full refund.[/QUOTE]
Huh?

[quote name='TexTuna']Why must all the PS3 haters hang out on the PS3 board? Bash it all you want on the wii and 360 boards.[/QUOTE]

Yea. you would think with all the wii60 love on here, some of those would actually spend time playing their systems. Guess not.

Looks like I got it fixed. I updated the PS3 and it has worked okay since. I'm gonna give it a few days before I return it.

Well looks like your one of the people who had the hand shaking problems. Without giving more stats on your TV we can't say for sure, but updating should have been one of the first things you did if your TV is a little older.

[quote name='OzCatter']My simple question is how can you enjoy it? It's launch was almost exactly like the 360's, a mediocre FPS that has a boring SP mission, overrated EA titles that dont look that good, Fight Night Round 3 that looks basically the same(not a launch but close enough), a Tony Hawk game, and a Need for Speed.

It's already lost exclusives like GTA, Assassin's Creed, and Virtua Fighter, plus the rumored Tekken and MGS4 losses also. So what is the true reason to own a PS3? Blu-Ray, a format most people dont give a damn about, plus some people knowing that dual HD DVD-BluRay player is coming? Nah, not a good reason. Online games? fl0w, the Geometry Wars rip? A PSP port? Definatly not, especially compared with XBL and VC.

So tell me, what is your reason to own a PS3, because I see no reason why.[/QUOTE]

er, hes simply saying there are no sony fanboys on CAG, but plenty of other people who bash ps3 at any chance (like at a ps3 connecting to TV help topic), which is, coincidently, you.

Boy Sony fanboys sure do get their panties in a bunch. The Wii and 360 were/are bashed on here also. The reason why Sony is bashed more is the fact that they fucked up. You can point fingers at others and call them haters but you would be better off pointing those fingers at the people who really screwed up, Sony.

I have my PS3 hooked up to my 30" HD CRT and I just held the power button for 5 seconds the first time I powered up, and it cet everything automatically.

I moved it to play on another TV (Composite) and I just held power again and it reconfigured itself for 480i. Easy as that.

[quote name='panasonic']sounds like a simple case of "I have no tech skillz"[/QUOTE]

Just... just go away.

What you just said indicates that you have no respect for someone who just made an extremely significant purchase and is having serious trouble. I don't know everything about HDTVs, but I wouldn't expect to when first taking advantage of hardware designed specifically for them.

The audio hiccups sound like a TV/PS3 handshake issue like the above posters are saying. In the case of having no video through your HDMI, it sounds like the PS3 isn't set to output through HDMI. In my case, I had to initially connect the composites, and then go to the video settings menu and manually select HDMI (and ALL of the possible outputs that the PS3 could show, it gives you the option to check all of them if you want). It sucks that the PS3 doesn't auto detect though.

[quote name='OzCatter']The fanboys are gonna kill you, but I hope you enjoy the 360 as much as I did. And save your money after getting the 360 and GOW, save for the Wii and just go all out Wii60![/quote]sdf

Who's The Twitch Now?;2557585 said:
Just... just go away.

What you just said indicates that you have no respect for someone who just made an extremely significant purchase and is having serious trouble. . .

Remember, the ignore list is your friend.

[quote name='panasonic']sounds like a simple case of "I have no tech skillz"[/QUOTE]

Shit, sorry I have a life and don't spend my time on internet forum's talking trash to people I don't know... only reason I signed up for this forum was to find a solution to my problem and to make others aware of the problem

So... I took it back to Best Buy today and we tested on their similar tv (someone had just returned one claiming the same problems)...it turns out that I have a bad unit... I decided to do this after the system actually frozeon me a couple times when I was exiting games....I did not get a new one, I probably will in the future, but am concerned that a replacement unit would be from the same production run and have similar problems

thanks to those who gave good advice

[quote name='AGuth']The audio hiccups sound like a TV/PS3 handshake issue like the above posters are saying. In the case of having no video through your HDMI, it sounds like the PS3 isn't set to output through HDMI. In my case, I had to initially connect the composites, and then go to the video settings menu and manually select HDMI (and ALL of the possible outputs that the PS3 could show, it gives you the option to check all of them if you want). It sucks that the PS3 doesn't auto detect though.[/QUOTE]

Do you have to do this after every update as well?

[quote name='azjosho']Shit, sorry I have a life and don't spend my time on internet forum's talking trash to people I don't know... only reason I signed up for this forum was to find a solution to my problem and to make others aware of the problem

So... I took it back to Best Buy today and we tested on their similar tv (someone had just returned one claiming the same problems)...it turns out that I have a bad unit... I decided to do this after the system actually frozeon me a couple times when I was exiting games....I did not get a new one, I probably will in the future, but am concerned that a replacement unit would be from the same production run and have similar problems

thanks to those who gave good advice[/quote]

Dont worry man, this is a good forum, it's just the Sony fanboys tend to be dicks sometimes. Dont let them get to you!

Regarding audio issues, could the static and "poping" sound I heard on my unit have been caused by a configuration issue? I was just using component though, hadn't bought HDMI cables yet.

[quote name='OzCatter']Dont worry man, this is a good forum, it's just the Sony fanboys tend to be dicks sometimes. Dont let them get to you![/QUOTE]

I've never actually seen any Sony fanboys on here. Fanboys for Microsoft and Nintendo tend to be thick though.

[quote name='OzCatter']The fanboys are gonna kill you, but I hope you enjoy the 360 as much as I did. And save your money after getting the 360 and GOW, save for the Wii and just go all out Wii60![/QUOTE]Uh, no. Wii60 is for losers, nerds, geeks, retards, etc. They're missing out on PS3 which is the best next generation console by far.
[quote name='OzCatter']Dont worry man, this is a good forum, it's just the Sony fanboys tend to be dicks sometimes. Dont let them get to you![/QUOTE]No, you just don't own a PS3 and know how good it is.
[quote name='Wolfpup']
I've never actually seen any Sony fanboys on here. Fanboys for Microsoft and Nintendo tend to be thick though.[/QUOTE]Pretty much.
Who's The Twitch Now?;2557585]Just... just go away. What you just said indicates that you have no respect for someone who just made an extremely significant purchase and is having serious trouble. I don't know everything about HDTVs said:
It never hurts to try. The PS3 does have a one year warranty and Sony is really good about fixing, if problems occur later on. It might have been an older returned unit (from a scalper who couldn't make $1000).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Uh, no. Wii60 is for losers, nerds, geeks, retards, etc. They're missing out on PS3 which is the best next generation console by far.[/quote]

Wow.

Hold down the PS3's power button for 5 seconds when turning it on.
This will activate the Auto-HDMI setup.

Give that a shot.

EDIT: just saw you returned it already...

[quote name='OzCatter']Dont worry man, this is a good forum, it's just the Sony fanboys tend to be dicks sometimes. Dont let them get to you![/quote]

As apposed to the MS/Nintendo fanboys who are dicks all the time. :lol:

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Uh, no. Wii60 is for losers, nerds, geeks, retards, etc. They're missing out on PS3 which is the best next generation console by far.
No, you just don't own a PS3 and know how good it is.
Pretty much.
He pretty much told the truth.
It never hurts to try. The PS3 does have a one year warranty and Sony is really good about fixing, if problems occur later on. It might have been an older returned unit (from a scalper who couldn't make $1000).[/quote] I really, really want to think this is a joke post.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Uh, no. Wii60 is for losers, nerds, geeks, retards, etc. They're missing out on PS3 which is the best next generation console by far.[/QUOTE]

Are you f*ing kidding me?

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']Are you f*ing kidding me?[/quote]

no he isn't, he doesn't mean the consoles he means how everyone chooses to go for those 2 and gang up on ps3 because peter moore said that you can get both for the price of one

[quote name='panasonic']no he isn't, he doesn't mean the consoles he means how everyone chooses to go for those 2 and gang up on ps3 because peter moore said that you can get both for the price of one[/QUOTE]

oh yeah, and there are no games out for it and the interface seems to be all different shades of clunky and user unfriendly.

[quote name='The Crotch']Look one post below yours.[/QUOTE]

He was joking (obviously) to act like the Microsoft/Nintendo fanbois. I don't remember any Sony fanbois, though I'm sure some exist somewhere.

Why Microsoft has fanbois I'll never understand. Nintendo or Sega I can at least see...but the giant monopoly software corporation? Yes, let's all be loyal to them :lol:

[quote name='The Crotch']Look one post below yours.[/quote]
mana doesn't look like a fanboy. He looks like a guy who can afford a 360 and PS3 and will defend both systems but since the ps3 is receiving the bashing he will defend that it is indeed a good console.

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']Are you f*ing kidding me?[/QUOTE]
To be fair the whole "Wii60 ftw" thing is stupid whether you want to admit it or not.

And I do agree with him to an extent. IMO the PS3 will be the best console just like the PS2 was the best last gen (all IMO of course). It has been 2 months since it was released, it needs time.

[quote name='whoknows']To be fair the whole "Wii60 ftw" thing is stupid whether you want to admit it or not.

And I do agree with him to an extent. IMO the PS3 will be the best console just like the PS2 was the best last gen (all IMO of course). It has been 2 months since it was released, it needs time.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, man, I was a strictly Sony/Nintendo person before (both consoles and all handhelds). Now with Sony's one fuckup after another I am seriously considering going "Wii60" (as stupid as that term may be, it does reflect a valid option ;)). I have never been fond of MS, had no interest in the original Xbox, but I am on the fence now. Sony's price coupled with the lack of an upscaler has really pushed me off their bandwagon. I don't need to pay $600 for a 480p-playing brick, thank you very much. If it was half the price or had an upscaler I'd probably already have one. I also don't see a game coming up with a firm release date that interests me in the slightest (I'd be in only for the Jak/Ratchet type games and the JRPGs, none of this MGS/GTA/FPS crap). The same is true, mostly, for the Xbox 360, but at least it has a handful (just barely) of games already out that I'd want to play.

A Wii60 is up there with the lamest things I have ever heard.
You might as well call yourself a Bigtymer.

[quote name='hupp']A Wii60 is up there with the lamest things I have ever heard.
You might as well call yourself a Bigtymer.[/QUOTE]

It's no more or less dumb than half the terms used on the Interwebs, including the word "Interwebs" ;).

bread's done
Back