Buy a Xbox 360 Arcade, Get $100 Credit: Deal Extended to Those Who Cancelled

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
UPDATE: Emails are going out to those who cancelled their previous order:
[quote name='Tardcore']Hello from Amazon.com.

We noticed you cancelled your order# XXXXXXX originally placed during the Lightning Deal promotion for the Xbox 360 Arcade console on November 7, 2009. If you cancelled your order due to problems with the promotion, we want to make sure you can take advantage of this deal if you're still interested.

If you order an Xbox 360 Arcade Console by 11:59pm PT on November 14, your order will qualify you for the $100 promotional code. The $100 promotional code does not apply to the purchase of the Xbox 360 Arcade itself, but is valid for a qualifying future purchase. The offer is limit one per household and is not transferable.

To order the console, go to the product’s detail page listed below, add it to your cart for $199.99, and check out as normal. Please note, Amazon.com must be the seller in order for you to qualify for the promotion.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Arcade/dp/B0029MAXS6

Your promotional code will be sent to you via e-mail (along with instructions for use) seven (7) business days after the qualifying order has shipped.

For additional details of the promotion, please see the following page:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000450541

We're sorry for any inconvenience and hope to see you again soon.
Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com[/QUOTE]

[IMG-R=5198]8415[/IMG-R]Today at 9AM and 3PM EST, Amazon matches Walmart's Xbox 360 Arcade promotion with these two Lightning Deals...which will sell out faster than lightning.

iconxbox360.gif
Buy a Xbox 360 Arcade, Get $100 Credit - 9AM & 3PM EST Amazon Lightning Deals

Last edited by a moderator:
For those you called and had the price adjusted by -$0.01. Cancel it! You don't get the deal unless the order shows the promo: "Lighning Deal: -$0.01". Overriding the Xbox price will not get you the $100 credit.

Strange that so many people were having problem with the promo showing up in the cart but not in the confirmation. I added the item to the cart at 12:00PM showing $199.98 and didn't checkout until 12:40PM and yet the final confirmation still showed the $0.01 Lightning deal. Same in the email confirmation too.

Now I just hope I can apply the $100 credit to my existing big order of preorders with ECA and other game credits in it.

I'll buy it was confusing, but there is A LOT of crying going on beyond that. Here's hoping the laptop deal is good.

FWIW I didn't get the 360...

[quote name='eau']For those you called and had the price adjusted by -$0.01. Cancel it! You don't get the deal unless the order shows the promo: "Lighning Deal: -$0.01". Overriding the Xbox price will not get you the $100 credit.

Strange that so many people were having problem with the promo showing up in the cart but not in the confirmation. I added the item to the cart at 12:00PM showing $199.98 and didn't checkout until 12:40PM and yet the final confirmation still showed the $0.01 Lightning deal. Same in the email confirmation too.

Now I just hope I can apply the $100 credit to my existing big order of preorders with ECA and other game credits in it.[/QUOTE]
the safer bet was to email. the CS rep explicitly said i will be getting the promotion in the email.

[quote name='eau']For those you called and had the price adjusted by -$0.01. Cancel it! You don't get the deal unless the order shows the promo: "Lighning Deal: -$0.01". Overriding the Xbox price will not get you the $100 credit.

Now I just hope I can apply the $100 credit to my existing big order of preorders with ECA and other game credits in it.[/QUOTE]

Just further shows how messed up this deal is. You got it 40 minutes after the deal started, yet those who ordered within a minute were deceived and screwed by the system. Awesome.

[quote name='caltab']I love Amazon, but people defending them on this one are just wrong and aren't understanding whats happened. Their is some glitch that shows the discount in your cart, then disapears without any notification right before you checkout-tons of people will order this without knowing they didn't qualify for the promo-that is 100 percent bait and switch and outright fraud if intended. I'll say again I don't think it was intentional though and is some kind of glitch.[/QUOTE]

No, it's not -- not even close to outright fraud.

I am not defending Amazon -- however, Amazon clearly explained that in order to qualify for Lightning Deals, the order page must in fact show that the discount was applied. That the discount disappeared between the cart to the order page is simply a consequence of online sales. Amazon is tracking sales on the other end and it's expected that because of all the different server speeds and variety of uncontrollable factors that some people aren't going to get in on the offer.

B**ch and moan all you want but this is not fraud. You and others are just angry you didn't get in on the deal. I didn't either. That doesn't suddenly mean the company you're buying from is committing fraud.

BTW, fraud is a serious accusation under the law (I'm in law school); while you'll probably find a lawyer desperate enough to take on your cause, the odds of you convincing any Court that this is fraud is near-zero.

Sadly, I'm sure some crazy loon will try using a class action suit ...

[quote name='Despacio']Just further shows how messed up this deal is. You got it 40 minutes after the deal started, yet those who ordered within a minute were deceived and screwed by the system. Awesome.[/QUOTE]

I checked out about 30 minutes later.. and you dont have to checkout right away, you just have to claim it. thats how all lightening deals work.

[quote name='Despacio']Just further shows how messed up this deal is. You got it 40 minutes after the deal started, yet those who ordered within a minute were deceived and screwed by the system. Awesome.[/QUOTE]
I don't know. I claimed the code at 12PM sharp but didn't check out until 12:40PM. As far as I know, once you got a lightning deal in your cart, you get until midnight to place your order, unless the specific item is no longer available from Amazon.

[quote name='romeogbs19']No, it's not -- not even close to outright fraud.

I am not defending Amazon -- however, Amazon clearly explained that in order to qualify for Lightning Deals, the order page must in fact show that the discount was applied. That the discount disappeared between the cart to the order page is simply a consequence of online sales. Amazon is tracking sales on the other end and it's expected that because of all the different server speeds and variety of uncontrollable factors that some people aren't going to get in on the offer.

B**ch and moan all you want but this is not fraud. You and others are just angry you didn't get in on the deal. I didn't either. That doesn't suddenly mean the company you're buying from is committing fraud.

BTW, fraud is a serious accusation under the law (I'm in law school); while you'll probably find a lawyer desperate enough to take on your cause, the odds of you convincing any Court that this is fraud is near-zero.

Sadly, I'm sure some crazy loon will try using a class action suit ...[/QUOTE]

LOL, I'm glad to hear you are in law school, but you are speaking to a lawyer. And as I said I do not think it was intentional, but rather I glitch-which would make it not fraudulent.

Can anyone explain this $199.97
Items: $199.99 Shipping & Handling: $9.48 Super Saver Discount: -$9.48 Financing Applied: -$0.00 Promo Financing: -$0.00 Lightning Deal: -$0.01 Lightning Deal: -$0.01
pixel-grey._V47081715_.gif
Total Before Tax: $199.97 Estimated Tax: $0.00
transparent-pixel._V42752373_.gif
Order Total: $199.97

glad that I didn't need a 360 and could just ignore this... definately had enough of this crap with the daily game lightning deals three or so weeks ago... you know when you click the second it comes up and it tells you it's sold out....

[quote name='Jodou']The fact of the matter is Amazon is deceiving many people into believing they got the deal and then pulling the rug out from under. I could care less if you got the deal or not, but we're well within our right to complain. I'm just glad I read this thread first, so I could identify whether I got the deal or not.[/QUOTE]

No, Amazon is not deceiving anyone. Lightning Deals always have to SHOW on your order confirmation. It's explicitly explained on the site's instructions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=xs_gb_mp?ie=UTF8&nodeId=914590#lightning

"The coupon savings will display on the final order confirmation page under 'Order Summary.'"

That is more than sufficient to cover Amazon's rear end. That's always been the policy -- it's not like Amazon altered the process.

[quote name='romeogbs19']No, Amazon is not deceiving anyone. Lightning Deals always have to SHOW on your order confirmation. It's explicitly explained on the site's instructions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=xs_gb_mp?ie=UTF8&nodeId=914590#lightning

"The coupon savings will display on the final order confirmation page under 'Order Summary.'"

That is more than sufficient to cover Amazon's rear end. That's always been the policy -- it's not like Amazon altered the process.[/QUOTE]

Your actually incorrect- they have altered the process on this deal. The way Amazon has ALWAYS worked with lightning and gold box deals it that once its in your cart its locked in until midnight. I still say its some kind of glitch.

[quote name='caltab']LOL, I'm glad to hear you are in law school, but you are speaking to a lawyer. And as I said I do not think it was intentional, but rather I glitch-which would make it not fraudulent.[/QUOTE]

:)

[quote name='mitemouse']I checked out about 30 minutes later.. and you dont have to checkout right away, you just have to claim it. thats how all lightening deals work.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, well good to know, I always thought it went by the number of people who've checked out thus far. Although I didn't get in on the deal, I consider this a valuable learning experience for black friday.

[quote name='rmharvey']Can anyone explain this $199.97
Items: $199.99 Shipping & Handling: $9.48 Super Saver Discount: -$9.48 Financing Applied: -$0.00 Promo Financing: -$0.00 Lightning Deal: -$0.01 Lightning Deal: -$0.01
pixel-grey._V47081715_.gif
Total Before Tax: $199.97 Estimated Tax: $0.00
transparent-pixel._V42752373_.gif
Order Total: $199.97 [/QUOTE]
Looks like you got TWO Lightning Deal credits in there. Amazon screwed up and gave you two (should have been 1 per account). Don't expect to receive two $100 credits though ;)

I wasn't able to get the $100 amazon credit...but I was able to b.s. that Amazon was having some technical difficulties while trying to get the lightning deal and they ended up cutting 100 dollars off my xbox arcade. So I'm getting an xbox 360 for 99 bucks. What do you guys think?

[quote name='sasuke543']I wasn't able to get the $100 amazon credit...but I was able to b.s. that Amazon was having some technical difficulties while trying to get the lightning deal and they ended up cutting 100 dollars off my xbox arcade. So I'm getting an xbox 360 for 99 bucks. What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]
I think I'd like to see a receipt.

Before Amazon has started lightning deals where you claim a deal at a specific time and checkout later, they were trying to sell a console (PS3?) at launch at a specific time, everybody tried to check out at the same, it almost brought down their website.

With the lightning deals system, everbody is hitting their 'claim' system and their regular business can proceed without delay.

[quote name='caltab']Your actually incorrect- they have altered the process on this deal. The way Amazon has ALWAYS worked with lightning and gold box deals it that once its in your cart its locked in until midnight. I still say its some kind of glitch.[/QUOTE]

Agree w/ you re: the glitch (or in other words, just a factor of online sales). I still think Amazon made it clear that lightning deals have to show up in the order page for it to actually apply and that this argument is alone sufficient. Proving bait-and-switch given Amazon's strong reputation as an online retailer would be an awfully tough burden to meet -- especially when a lot of this is being triggered by stiff competition from Amazon's rivals.

Furthermore, as I'm sure you'll recall from Contract law, Amazon is not lawfully required to honor the price it originally put forward anyways. The consumer is not putting forward any consideration in selecting a lightning deal, and therefore Amazon is within its right to pull the deal away from the order page at-will. If a consumer goes ahead and orders it, that is his/her failure to read the policy.

Also, from what I recall, it seemed Amazon put up additional notice to clarify how the lightning deal in this situation might work: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...XDDI6J?ie=UTF8&docId=1000450541&pfRdReplace=1

Interestingly, that last line may in fact be the kicker: "Offer good while supplies last. Void where prohibited. Amazon reserves the right to cancel at any time."

Of course, there are a myriad of issues on what exactly "cancel" should mean (is it to the whole offer? to individuals? On what basis? etc.) but in the interest of keeping this response brief, the bottom-line is that Amazon is covered.

That said, if Amazon intends to do more of these, it should seriously consider stating more clearly that these deals will not remain in your Cart and that they can be eliminated before you arrive at the Order page ...

[quote name='speedracer']I think I'd like to see a receipt.[/QUOTE]

here

Hello from Amazon.com.

I'm sorry about the problem you had with your order.

Please be aware that quantities are limited, and some items may sell out quickly. Also, most Gold Box prices are valid only on the day they are displayed in the Gold Box. If you want to take advantage of a discounted price, please place your order as soon as possible after adding the item to your Shopping Cart. Simply placing an item in your Shopping Cart does not reserve the price of that item.

Because of the circumstances surrounding your order, I've made an exception to our standard policy. I've reduced the cost of item "Xbox 360 Arcade" from your order by $199.99 to $99.99.

You can always check the status of your order in Your Account. Here's a direct link to the order details:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/summary/edit.html?orderID=104-3065343-5981049

Thank you for your understanding. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon at Amazon.com.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:

If yes, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-y?c=wftafwdh3226938499
If not, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-n?c=wftafwdh3226938499

Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept incoming e-mail.

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section of our web site.

Best regards,

Muruga K.
Amazon.com
We're Building Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company
http://www.amazon.com/your-account

---- Original message: ----

---------------
11/07/09 12:08:38
Your Name:Leo Samaniego
Order Id: 104-3065343-5981049
ITEMS:
Xbox 360 Arcade
Comments:Hi I wanted to know if I'll be getting the $100 amazon credit with this order? I added this on my cart right at the second the lightning deal went up. Then while I was on my cart technical difficulties started. So I had to start over again. I hope you understand my concern as I really want that deal. Thanks.
---------------

[quote name='romeogbs19']Agree w/ you re: the glitch (or in other words, just a factor of online sales). I still think Amazon made it clear that lightning deals have to show up in the order page for it to actually apply and that this argument is alone sufficient. Proving bait-and-switch given Amazon's strong reputation as an online retailer would be an awfully tough burden to meet -- especially when a lot of this is being triggered by stiff competition from Amazon's rivals.

Furthermore, as I'm sure you'll recall from Contract law, Amazon is not lawfully required to honor the price it originally put forward anyways. The consumer is not putting forward any consideration in selecting a lightning deal, and therefore Amazon is within its right to pull the deal away from the order page at-will. If a consumer goes ahead and orders it, that is his/her failure to read the policy.

Also, from what I recall, it seemed Amazon put up additional notice to clarify how the lightning deal in this situation might work: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...XDDI6J?ie=UTF8&docId=1000450541&pfRdReplace=1

Interestingly, that last line may in fact be the kicker: "Offer good while supplies last. Void where prohibited. Amazon reserves the right to cancel at any time."

Of course, there are a myriad of issues on what exactly "cancel" should mean (is it to the whole offer? to individuals? On what basis? etc.) but in the interest of keeping this response brief, the bottom-line is that Amazon is covered.

That said, if Amazon intends to do more of these, it should seriously consider stating more clearly that these deals will not remain in your Cart and that they can be eliminated before you arrive at the Order page ...[/QUOTE]

I wasn't actually mentioning the legality of it to make a case against Amazon, but rather to support my belief that it was a glitch and not working as intended because there is no way they would intentionally piss people of and borderline defraud them. Hopefully their black friday deals will be more clear and not change by one penny right before you checkout. There are a lot of people who reasonably believed they got in on the deal because it showed in their cart and now cannot cancel because of how quickly the shipping process works, and that just sucks.

[quote name='romeogbs19']No, Amazon is not deceiving anyone. Lightning Deals always have to SHOW on your order confirmation. It's explicitly explained on the site's instructions.

That is more than sufficient to cover Amazon's rear end. That's always been the policy -- it's not like Amazon altered the process.[/QUOTE]

At the point you receive the email, you've already authorized the purchase on your credit card. You have a legally complete sale. You shouldn't have to play the odds at that point to know if you got a deal. This isn't the lottery.

I'm not saying they should be sued or anything close to that, but the way this is handled is horribly close to bait-and-switch. If you were the average consumer not reading message boards and reading all the fine print, you would most likely be deceived as to what deal you actually received until 7 days afterwards when you expect your credit to show up in your account.

That's the real problem. As I said above, I'm fine missing a deal. On the other hand, I've lost a lot of confidence in my favorite online retailer.

[quote name='caltab']I wasn't actually mentioning the legality of it to make a case against Amazon, but rather to support my belief that it was a glitch and not working as intended because there is no way they would intentionally piss people of and borderline defraud them. Hopefully their black friday deals will be more clear and not change by one penny right before you checkout. There are alot of people who reasonable believed they got in on the deal because it showed in their cart and cannot cancel because of how quickly the shipping process works, and that just sucks.[/QUOTE]

Agree with you there :) Though I'm not sure how else Amazon can indicate to consumers the coupon was appropriately applied. They probably wanted a visual difference (-0.01) to distinguish the sales.

BTW, nice to see a fellow lawyer on the boards ;-) Presume you've been out of law school for a while ...

On a more game-related note, I was really tempted to pick up a 360 in this sale (I have a few 360 games I picked up real cheap a while back ...) but then again, I have no time to play games (I used to collect though even that is now over -- thanks to student loans) ;-)

I'm inclined to wait until the PS3 drops to the $100-200 level. I could use the blu-ray player -- but as I said, that purchase is a long ways off.

Well I was out of the house when the 2nd round hit, so I tried to buy an X360 Arcade via my iPhone. I used the 1-click shopping button, but just got an "blank" page after hitting the button. Tried that twice and no luck. I even tried adding to cart but cart just said "cart is empty". Ah well, hopefully there will be a BF deal on Amazon for X360s. And unlike these lightning deals, at one can add stuff in the cart beforehand.

Oh, the QQing in this thread is hilarious. Reminds me of buying tickets for Blizzcon. QQ some more whiners. ;)

Well I was out of the house when the 2nd round hit, so I tried to buy an X360 Arcade via my iPhone. I used the 1-click shopping button, but just got an "blank" page after hitting the button. Tried that twice and no luck. I even tried adding to cart but cart just said "cart is empty". Ah well, hopefully there will be a BF deal on Amazon for X360s. And unlike these lightning deals, at one can add stuff in the cart beforehand.

Oh, the QQing in this thread is hilarious. Reminds me of when people buy tickets for Blizzcon. QQ some more whiners. ;)

[quote name='dino88']^You can't use 1-click w/ Lightning Deals. That was the problem.[/QUOTE]

Dang, well thanks for the info. I probably would have still lucked out anyways using a 3G connection.

[quote name='MannishBoy']At the point you receive the email, you've already authorized the purchase on your credit card. You have a legally complete sale. You shouldn't have to play the odds at that point to know if you got a deal. This isn't the lottery.

I'm not saying they should be sued or anything close to that, but the way this is handled is horribly close to bait-and-switch. If you were the average consumer not reading message boards and reading all the fine print, you would most likely be deceived as to what deal you actually received until 7 days afterwards when you expect your credit to show up in your account.

That's the real problem. As I said above, I'm fine missing a deal. On the other hand, I've lost a lot of confidence in my favorite online retailer.[/QUOTE]

I totally know what you mean. It's not like I'm saying what Amazon did was right -- I suppose I'm just more interested in the legality of it. IMHO, I just don't think Amazon did anything illegal.

Now as for whether this was smartly executed from a consumer/marketing standpoint is an entirely different matter. I agree with you that Amazon may in fact be doing more harm than good by doing these things. Ultimately, they end up pleasing a few thousand customers and royally angering the tens/hundreds of thousands that make up the rest. What does that do to their brand? Well, by what people are saying here, not much good.

Then again, marketers seem to think these deals generate buzz and that no matter how many people complain, when Amazon does it again, they'll more than likely be there again. This is sort of proven by the sizable increase in good-will perceptions towards Wal-Mart since the economy took a tumble. Hopefully, most people know the incredibly terrible and bad things Wal-Mart does as a retailer but that doesn't seem to matter. When times were better, people openly criticized Wal-Mart and its sales took noteworthy hits for it -- but now, suddenly, most people genuinely "like" them.

I'm on student loans, but I refuse to buy there. Wal-Mart, IMHO, is simply irresponsible.

I just hope this pricing war doesn't force companies I patron like Costco, Target, and Amazon to have to stoop to Wal-Mart practices to compete on price.

This is what happens when Wal-Mart starts forcing companies to do these things. I think Amazon is fine if it just charges a little more and keeps up with its good service and selection.

Sorry for the rant ...

amazon response to my 3 emails about the sale.

I've verified you already canceled this order yourself through Your Account. I hope this resolves your concerns.

If you place an order for "Xbox 360" between 6:00am PST to 7:59am PST and again from 12:00pm PST to 1:59PM PST on 11/07/2009 we will send your promotional certificate via e-mail seven (7) business days after the qualifying order has shipped.

so they answered my email like 10 min after i canceled the order since it didnt show the 0.01 lightning deal even though i did the deal within seconds of the sale going live. so what now can i tell them if i can reorder it n get the promo since they are basically saying iwas going to get it.

i was a bit confused about the wholenot getting 0.01 n now theyre saying i would have gotten it.

Damn...I want a deal like this for the PS3 (could use an extra, and a Slim would be nice...hell even if they did it on a fatty) or Wii (don't have one yet).

This is a good deal, I guess....if it wasn't for the fact that the 360 is an RROD'ing, architectural fucking mess!

[quote name='confoosious']wow the 4pm tv deal was a bit underwhelming.[/QUOTE]

I'm shocked it sold out in 3 minutes. Seriously, who's buying out a deal like that mad fast? Is it just everyone immediately putting it into their carts without looking at the actual savings or whether they were interested at all?

[quote name='Tardcore']Does anyone know if the Arcade version includes a Play and Charge kit with the Wireless Controller?[/QUOTE]

No it does not.

God damn I'm pissed as fuck. I clicked it the second it popped up, it showed the discount at EVERY step of the way. Even when I was on my order review screen, it showed my discount. For whatever reason it didn't reflect it in my e-mail. The girl on the phone told me there was NOTHING she could do. I asked if a manager could do anything, she said they can't honor the promotion price. I mean....even on the REVIEW page it showed the discount. What the hell.

The -.01 doesn't show up in my order, but when I emailed Amazon, this was the response I got

Hello from Amazon.com.

As indicated in the online description of the Xbox 360 Arcade offer, we will send your $100 promotional code via email along with instructions for use seven business days after the order has shipped.

If you have not received your certificate, please let us know by filling out the e-mail form on this page:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/pricing-and-promotions.html/

Thanks for shopping at Amazon.com.

Think they will honor that?

[quote name='Oceaniax']I'm shocked it sold out in 3 minutes. Seriously, who's buying out a deal like that mad fast? Is it just everyone immediately putting it into their carts without looking at the actual savings or whether they were interested at all?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I saw the tv and was disappointed. I don't get it. Amazon got a bunch of suckers, I guess.

How long did it take you all to get an email reply? I've been waiting about an hour and a half, and I've got nothing. I resent my email too. Also, Did you send it through the Amazon.com feedback form?

Does Amazon not charge your card until your item ships? I usually only purchase stuff through them via pre-orders. I haven't been charged yet and was wondering when I will be. Says the xbox will not ship until the 13th, so I'm guessing it will be then?

I picked up an Arcade 360 at Walmart in Englewood, Fl. They had like 100+ units on an end cap with a sticker on the glass saying it comes with a $100 GC. Anyone in the area looking for one, that Walmart has plenty as of 5pm.

[quote name='mitemouse']I checked out about 30 minutes later.. and you dont have to checkout right away, you just have to claim it. thats how all lightening deals work.[/QUOTE]

This wasn't true in my case. The promo showed up on my checkout screen, but I had an old item in my cart that I didn't want to get. I went back and deleted that item and when I went back to the purchase screen the second time, the promo -$0.01 was gone (and this all took place in about 20 seconds).

After missing out on both Amazon deals I strolled in my local Walmart tonight to find 2 sitting in the case. There is now one left in the case at the Frederick, MD location.

[quote name='blueweltall']Damn didn't get the laptop.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I failed as well. Damn amazon still had an xbox arcade in my cart that I tried to delete first.

bread's done
Back