CAG 3.0 Upgrade - News, Updates And Progress - Dark Theme, Feedback are Live - EVERYTHING is Coming Back Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the main problem is not the white background, it is that there so much whitespace. As a result you're seeing tons of that white background. If they tightened up the layout the white would look OK, although the scheme is still kind of dull. White and light gray.

Found a bug or 'feature' with how the forums brand new posts that you have posted in: the star disappears after you've viewed the thread, whereas the old site would only grey out the envelope icon that was used to show you had posted in that thread after being viewed.  Really hope this can be corrected otherwise browsing parent forums could become tiresome looking for threads you're not subscribed to.

Going forward, is there a more practical icon you can use to brand 'new posts in a thread you've posted in' other than a star?  It doesn't offer the stark contrast of the old site because the star vs circle does not stand out very well at all.  Maybe the dark theme will help with this, but personally I'd prefer something more bold.  Maybe if the star were yellow?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm another one of those people who hates change and will be looking foreward to the dark version. Just please don't make it as horrible as bloody disgusting did.

Will there be a widesceen version, or something filling the left and right side of the screen?

I'm on a 27" iMac and I have 2/3 of the page as a white/gray blank slate, with the forum in the center.

Garrett67, on 05 Jun 2013 - 5:05 PM, said:

Will there be a widesceen version, or something filling the left and right side of the screen?

I'm on a 27" iMac and I have 2/3 of the page as a white/gray blank slate, with the forum in the center.

I can't edit my post. Mobile does widescreen but it still seems like alot of wasted space. Of course, I'm not sure what would be good on the sides.

I'm another one of those people who hates change and will be looking foreward to the dark version. Just please don't make it as horrible as bloody disgusting did.
I don't think the dark theme will mean the layout will change, just that the background will be dark and the text will be light colored. I honestly don't like the CAG 3.0 layout (thus far) so a return to the old layout would be welcomed.

If you've got links to old forum threads bookmarked, they'll now forward to the correct place.

Hmm.. How do I say this and not p' anybody off?

CAG 2.0 looks a billion times better than this. It had character and ease. This reminds of 1 of those other.... Well. Yeah.
Same here, I don't want to come off as whiny, but yeah.

Seems like CAG 3.0 is trying to go for the much more open/centered so called "modern looking" design. Colour aside (which you're fixing, which is nice) I already have some issues with 3.0 (Which I find are problems with most sites running IP board).

- Spacing between posts. WAY too much space, posts are way too big. Too much scrolling.

- Home Page looks like a barren wasteland. Old one had widgets all over, and was much more interesting to look at, not to mention help me get an overview of what was going on on CAG.

- Just the general layout / look of the forums, like I said before way to much spacing.

- Site is veeerry slow for me (it wasn't before). I try submitting a post, let it sit there "loading" and go off to another thread and try to post there but since the other is still sending it tells me to stop posting so fast and cancels both posts!

Great job so far John and Cheapy!

Just one question:  Will the icons for all the different retailers and systems, etc. return?  Those really helped threads jump off the page.

What are the 3 dots for?
I too wonder that...

Is there any way to go to the last page of a thread on mobile. Cant seem to figure it out for the mega threads
Bingo - that's a big help. Though I think Cheapy is addressing the mobile aspect. Everything aside, I love the mobile CAG.

Finally, I am assuming the trading feedback and what not will be implemented later, right? Overall, site isn't bad - I'm sure with a black theme I'll feel right at home. :grouphug:

Hate to be that guy ... but really not digging the change.

Sure, I can do more, I can add media ... change up text ..

But functionality wise, I feel like we went back instead of forward.

I won't go so far as to say I hate it ... but I'm reserving judgement until a few weeks have passed.

The mobile site is harder to navigate ... visually it became harder to read on both versions of the site.

The navigation is more confusing ...

Maybe I'm just old ... :dunce:

I don't think the dark theme will mean the layout will change, just that the background will be dark and the text will be light colored. I honestly don't like the CAG 3.0 layout (thus far) so a return to the old layout would be welcomed.
I was mostly talking about layout and functionality. Bloody Disgusting changed it so much that users protested so much, they brough back an "original" version, and now have 2 messageboards. The old one gets used way more than the new one.

Ugh.... no want

CAG just looks so generic now
Yeah ... you hit the nail on the head ... I know it wasn't always perfect before ... actually, wait ... no ... it may have been perfect.

Maybe it was just me, but I had absolutely no problem with CAG 2.0, it did absolutely everything I needed it to and was fast and accessible. I didn't need themes or fancy embedding or new ways to share my posts on other social media sites.

I'm sorry guys, I'm sure this took a ton of blood, sweat and tears ... but most of these changes serve the site over the needs of the actual community members.

Anyone.. where is the option to not display avatars and graphics like the previous site had? I don't want to see avatars and graphics. Thanks.

I like the update to the mobile site quite a bit. Puts it up on par with a few other forum sites that I use the mobile version on. Not yet decided on the full version yet. Will have to wait and see how it goes after everything has been implemented.

Have to agree with most others though in that the color choice on the initial lay out was the most obvious issue. Hopefully the dark site will be a bit clearer. 

Agree with everyone on too much white space, but they will update it soon. I would like a light grey or something a little easier on the eyes.

What are the 3 dots for?
The three dots will be replaced with sea shells.

You don't know how to use the three sea shells?

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I hope the option for "recent posts" in subscribed threads comes back. This was mostly how I navigated the site.

Thanks for all the hard work guys, I'm sure it will be a lean, mean, cheap-ass machine when finished.

Maybe its just the color combination, but there seems to be a lot of wasted space in the screen "gutters". Any way to make the site take advantage of that space for wider screens, even if its just stretching posts to fit? 

Some of the fonts are pretty blurry, though that may be because I turned off smooth fonts on this Windows Install...

I'll probably hold off on trading until the ratings are back, but looking forward to the rest of the updates. Especially the darker theme. :)

As for any font issues, they do seem blurry in Chrome, but not in Firefox (1920x1080 resolution).

just want to say this new layout looks like complete and total crap. like it was designed by a 5 year and had said 5 year old pick out random bright colors for use everywhere.

I enjoy the new layout. I can view it for more than 10 minutes at a time with the colors, and it appears to have been designed this century.

Ugh.... no want

CAG just looks so generic now
Yeah ... you hit the nail on the head ... I know it wasn't always perfect before ... actually, wait ... no ... it may have been perfect.

Maybe it was just me, but I had absolutely no problem with CAG 2.0, it did absolutely everything I needed it to and was fast and accessible. I didn't need themes or fancy embedding or new ways to share my posts on other social media sites.

I'm sorry guys, I'm sure this took a ton of blood, sweat and tears ... but most of these changes serve the site over the needs of the actual community members.
This is exactly how I feel. I'm still hopeful that once everything is up and running, I'll find things to love about CAG 3.0, but I'm not loving what I see so far. The dark theme cannot come soon enough.

I'm probably missing something obvious here, but how do I...

go to the last page of a thread on the mobile site

Look at my subscribed threads on the mobile site?

Am I missing something, or have ratings been disabled? I can see the ratings, but clicking on them does nothing, and most threads just have 5 gray stars.

I was a bit apprehensive at first, but after looking at John's screenshots, I am overwhelmed with excitement for what you are doing with CAG 3.0, the designs are absolutely awesome, and that's coming from someone who does UX/UI design for a living. Great work John and Cheapy, looking forward to becoming a more active CAG, enjoying the new interface, and trying out all of the new features!

Everything will be restored soon people jeez give them some time. PATIENCE.
I understand where you're coming from ... but a new site roll out needs to really grab the user's attention and show 'why' it was necessary ...

Just as an example, GameFAQs just did a similar revamp ... which made it easier to read, easier to navigate and improved on making the pages stand out.

This ... this is different ... but I'm not yet convinced it's different in a new, improved and/or good way ... but you're right, we shall all see in time.

Everything will be restored soon people jeez give them some time. PATIENCE.
I understand where you're coming from ... but a new site roll out needs to really grab the user's attention and show 'why' it was necessary ...

Just as an example, GameFAQs just did a similar revamp ... which made it easier to read, easier to navigate and improved on making the pages stand out.

This ... this is different ... but I'm not yet convinced it's different in a new, improved and/or good way ... but you're right, we shall all see in time.
It's not completely rolled out though. Pretty much only the forums have been established. Everything else will follow. So you're only seeing maybe a third of the finished product, probably less.

Hmm. I didn't notice it when I was looking at the mobile site before since it now actually jumps to the last page automatically but yeah, there is no more page select option at the bottom or anywhere that I see.

Is the top 15 topics sidebar going to come back and in the mobile version too?  That thing was the most useful part of the site.  It really helped with seeing any hot deals or glitches that occurred.  Also anyway to not get the mobile version of the site?  The url is the same and even request desktop feature of chrome does nothing.

I'm still trying to figure out how to do this on the regular site. (Ok. last page is the tiny little mark after the numbers - but still can't find the subbed thread link which was my bread and butter on the old CAG).

Also, there appears to be a ton of spam posts - way more than on the old CAG. I assume something is missing that used to block much of that. I had a ton of reported posts in my email this afternoon and the different format of those is what led me to realize CAG 3.0 was live!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back