CAG 3.0 Upgrade - News, Updates And Progress - Dark Theme, Feedback are Live - EVERYTHING is Coming Back Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use primarily the mobile version, and the only thing I really need now is a way to get to the last page of mega-threads. I got all the threads I want to follow showing me new posts.

I am not sure how you people get around if white backgrounds blind you, considering 80% of all other websites use white backgrounds.

Gwahh...so...bright. (looks around), what the? (gets up and turns on light) Man I have to stop living in darkness. I need to clean this place up. Thanks CheapyD! :wave:

But seriously. The new site Very fresh and cool. Keep up the good work guys. I haven't had any issues myself.

Am I missing how to search in-topic or is it not working?  In the guide you've linked to it says it's supposed to just automatically switch but it's not for me.

Also, since I can't figure out how to search within a topic...what about trade in prices?  Are they here and I'm missing them or hasn't it been added yet?

Lastly, it's kind of nice that it's streamlined but the white is pretty horrible  :whistle2:(  I read this a lot at night and in a fairly dark room during the day and this is KILLING my eyes.  

I like the site upgrade so far. It uses the same layout as another site I frequent religiously (UM; it's hilarious).

I think the site will come along over the next few weeks and I like where its heading....with that said, I expect the full might of the whine brigade to be here for awhile.

Like if you liked
I really hope this won't become a thing around here. I hate those forums where everyone goes around saying "+rep if you liked my post!!!"

EDIT: We also need an increase in the time allowed to edit posts before the "Edited by..." starts showing up. Okay, I guess we don't need it, but it's a bit of an eyesore. And I hope we'll see the old favicon make a return!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the site will come along over the next few weeks and I like where its heading....with that said, I expect the full might of the whine brigade to be here for awhile
Hopefully much sooner.

Am I missing how to search in-topic or is it not working? In the guide you've linked to it says it's supposed to just automatically switch but it's not for me.

Also, since I can't figure out how to search within a topic...what about trade in prices? Are they here and I'm missing them or hasn't it been added yet?

Lastly, it's kind of nice that it's streamlined but the white is pretty horrible :whistle2:( I read this a lot at night and in a fairly dark room during the day and this is KILLING my eyes.
Its not enabled yet. Its reliant on other parts of the site being installed.

Gwahh...so...bright. (looks around), what the? (gets up and turns on light) Man I have to stop living in darkness. I need to clean this place up. Thanks CheapyD! :wave:

But seriously. The new site Very fresh and cool. Keep up the good work guys. I haven't had any issues myself.
Dark theme tomorrow night.

Could someone please tell if version 3.0 has removed the ability to delete posts?

I was trying to delete my post (in the Bluray thread, where each member gets one post), and I don't see a "delete" button.

"I am not sure how you people get around if white backgrounds blind you, considering 80% of all other websites use white backgrounds."

It's still eye-straining no matter how many sites do it.  I know the darker theme is coming, but I felt the site should not have been updated without at least having that and some of the basic stuff they had to fix working.  Unless they were trying to emulate an MMO launch, that is.

Well, I like that the main forums are easily accesible on the main page.  I like that there is a "jump to" function, but it's terrible that it's hidden until you click on something that doesn't look like it's clickable.  Liking posts is cool and useful.

I used to leave the tab for CAG open almost all of the time.  I barely want to check the site now since I dislike most of these changes.  It looked unique before and I liked reading various threads...now, not so much.  I know I'm not going to make friends, but I just wanted to get it off of my chest.  With how much needed to be fixed, I'm not sure 3.0 was ready.  I know I wasn't ready for it.

"I am not sure how you people get around if white backgrounds blind you, considering 80% of all other websites use white backgrounds."

It's still eye-straining no matter how many sites do it. I know the darker theme is coming, but I felt the site should not have been updated without at least having that and some of the basic stuff they had to fix working. Unless they were trying to emulate an MMO launch, that is.

Well, I like that the main forums are easily accesible on the main page. I like that there is a "jump to" function, but it's terrible that it's hidden until you click on something that doesn't look like it's clickable. Liking posts is cool and useful.

I used to leave the tab for CAG open almost all of the time. I barely want to check the site now since I dislike most of these changes. It looked unique before and I liked reading various threads...now, not so much. I know I'm not going to make friends, but I just wanted to get it off of my chest. With how much needed to be fixed, I'm not sure 3.0 was ready. I know I wasn't ready for it.
I too have a 'CAG Tab' and I'm sure everything will come together within a week. Afterall, this is one of my favorite sites on the internet and I have a lot of faith in the coolest Jew in Japan. :whee:

I got a pop up notification that two people "liked" a post I made and noticed my rating was "2". Neat! But most people have 10 likes already... are some of my posts being disliked?

If yes, how do I dislike people? I'm gonna revenge dislike the hell out of those people! :lol:

In all seriously, I still have no idea what's going on but I actually found something I like: the "a new post has been made" pop up is nice.
It seems some users started at 10 and others 0. I haven't seemed to notice a pattern to it.
I'm guessing everything is still dynamically changing as the site is getting upgraded. Most likely in a few weeks things should stabilize; above all, Cheapy should definitely release an FAQ detailing all of the features and upgrades when everything is done.

Nonetheless, I currently miss CAG 2.0 - it felt 'homey'. :fridge:

Sorry to say, but this new theme is terrible. I'm sure its spiffy on a tiny smartphone, but its painful on my big 32" monitor. I feel like my eyes are going to start bleeding at any time. So much wasted space. So much white. Looks like a Super Target populated by anorexic people.

That is all.

-Dave

I just went around to the sites I frequent most and while yes, many have white backgrounds, none have so much white, lol. Most have tons of pictures to break it up or sidebars that are colored darker or something.

The fonts are hard to read for me too.

Also, I reallyed liked the drop-down menus before to quickly change sub forums and such.

Nice work so far.

Could someone please tell if version 3.0 has removed the ability to delete posts?

I was trying to delete my post (in the Bluray thread, where each member gets one post), and I don't see a "delete" button.
You should be able to hide it, which means only you and moderators can see.

I'm hoping the dark color scheme comes sooner rather than later, because this white-on-more-white scheme is truly horrendous - almost enough to make me stop visiting the site altogether. Drastic, I know, but it really is that much of an eyesore to me.

i'm using color this site

firefox extension

1647225-YAIK29B.png

1647220-HBDTFWZ.png

be sure to read the instructions good!

This is a public service announcement by your friendly CAG eye doctor... this will reduce eye bleeding by 99%

EDIT: We also need an increase in the time allowed to edit posts before the "Edited by..." starts showing up. Okay, I guess we don't need it, but it's a bit of an eyesore. And I hope we'll see the old favicon make a return!
I set it so you can disable the edit message if you wish.

You should be able to hide it, which means only you and moderators can see.

Thank you to everyone for all of your feedback. You should see lots of changes based on your feedback very soon.

Someone else probably already reported this, but I didn't want to go through 24 pages.  When I am not logged into the site, the forums display the user and time stamp for the most recent post for each topic.  Once I've logged in, that is no longer shown.  I assumed it was some kind of customization setting, to decide what to display, but I can't find anything in the "settings" and don't know where else to look.

Thanks.

Dunno about in desktop, but in mobile, just click the post and the bottom will show Quote, Edit, Delete.

Also, I have to say, I like how, if you leave for a few minutes, the new posts don't go away. The forum will still take you to the new post no matter when you visit.

Thank you to everyone for all of your feedback. You should see lots of changes based on your feedback very soon.
Any chance of getting the drop down nav bar back?

I like the redesign. I like the white, but it needs a splash of color. Maybe change the grey pixel background to a light shade of CAG green or orange.

Other than that I only have one real request... PLEASE, for the love of god, bring back the drop down nav bar at the bottom of forum pages. It's so much easier navigating the site with it.

Outside of that, great work SP John and Cheapy!
if you are on chrome check out the link I've posted you can have old CAG back or other colors at your will
I like the white, it just needs a splash of color to break it up some. Thanks though.

I feel like a lot of features are missing.

Will the top threads in every category show up on the front page?

Also the new look seems to lack the character of the two old designs... was it really necessary to change the entire aesthetic of the site?

Honestly the looks are not a big deal as long as the text is fixed and the old options are restored (posts per page, search, etc.)

I think as others have mentioned better use of space needs to be made. Lots of empty space. Lots of it.

Also can we put the individual posts on a diet? Even posts that are short (i.e. on sentence) seem to take up a lot of space which makes the threads longer.... which makes it more difficult to navigate.

Oh my God, guys! The incomplete redesign and site migration is incomplete and not fully migrated! Everyone, quick, panic and whine about things that will obviously be fixed and added in due time!

Cheapy or John, you might want to put some text in big bold red letters at the top of the site for people who don't bother to read the first post or have the common sense to know that the site is only a fraction of being complete.

(those with valid criticism and useful feedback obviously not withstanding)

Would really like the forum jump drop down back and the info by the avatars (feedback, year joined, etc)

So much empty space between posts and line breaks.  Way more scrolling.  VERY glad to hear about the dark theme though and sure this is all for the better.

If you're having font viewing issues, please post the following:

- Your browser, and version

- Operating system

- A brief description of the issue (e.g. rough edges, letters being partially masked, etc.)
Chrome Version 27.0.1453.94

Windows Vista (desktop)

Font too small and rough around the edges; looks a little distorted; have to use browser's zoom function to get a temporary fix on font.

+1 to changing the amount of posts seen per page.  However, I actually prefer the old standard of 20.  40 is just to much scrolling for me and I'd rather click over to a new page.  Hope this is able to be implemented, thanks Cheapy and John.

EDIT: I guess it's 50 per page now, I thought it was 40.  Anyways, that is way too much scrolling for me!

Most other forums allow the removal of user pictures and signatures. This makes reading much easier and more professional looking. Please enable those features or let me know how to be able to do that.

Wow, what a change! Been using CAG for nearly a decade and could not help but revert back to the Chrome dark theme settings.

Need to explore more to see what's different about 3.0, but it feels like a major jump from 1.0 to 2.0 (unless I'm mistaken).

Oh my God, guys! The incomplete redesign and site migration is incomplete and not fully migrated! Everyone, quick, panic and whine about things that will obviously be fixed and added in due time!

Cheapy or John, you might want to put some text in big bold red letters at the top of the site for people who don't bother to read the first post or have the common sense to know that the site is only a fraction of being complete.

(those with valid criticism and useful feedback obviously not withstanding)
It's not obvious that everything that's missing from the old CAG will be added here, so it's necessary for people to point out the things that are missing so that Cheapy and John can see how to implement them into the site. Cheapy has said that certain things weren't natively supported in the new software, so if they're really wanted by CAGs, they'll be added in some way.

And to be fair, there's nothing to really tell the casual CAGs that this is basically a beta version of CAG 3.0 unless they click on broken stuff and get redirected to this thread/forum.

If you're having font viewing issues, please post the following:

- Your browser, and version

- Operating system

- A brief description of the issue (e.g. rough edges, letters being partially masked, etc.)
Chrome Version 27.0.1453.94 m

Windows 8

Skinny faint font. Readable but could be darker to make it easier to read.

WTF is this shit?! This looks terrible. White everywhere, no home page, buttons everywhere? the old layout was great, black, sleek and simple.
Haha, I see you really take your signature to heart.

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
Mark Twain"
ooooooooooh SNAP

Who's bright idea was it to put grey text on a white background (pun not intended)

a dark version of the style using similar colours to the old CAG will be available, once all the main site features are converted and online.
Won't be using site till that dark theme comes back. Seriously.. this is just an eyesore to look at. You guys are better than this :puke:
Miss the old site :-({|=

I absolutely hate this. I'm not saying that because I "dislike" change, but because this new layout is terrible. 

CAG felt like, as someone else pointed out, "homey". It felt different. It felt like CAG.

This feels like it's trying to be just like every other website now. Especially with how everyone's distinctive identity on the old site easily set us apart. Now, it just feels like all of that is lost. It's like CAG just lost it's soul. I've been coming here since 2005 (I know, my account is 07, but I had a different account prior to this), and this is the most disappointing update I have seen in CAG's history.

Sure, I get that this layout obviously reduces website optimization, I get that it's probably also much easier to code and implement updates (I'm a web programmer too, you know). It's just that it doesn't feel like CAG like this. It feels like you've now joined the ranks of no longer being individual, and have just cloned all the features of popular websites, right down to the new header, as-well as all the other new "features".

I'm not going to rag on the white layout, as by using Flu.x, it's not "that" bad to look at, though it still does hurt the eyes (not to mention, you've already stated a new darker layout is coming tomorrow). Maybe I'm not giving it enough time. Maybe I'm being pessimistic instead of optimistic, but I truly, as of right now, hate this, and will probably be visiting a lot less because of it.

Time stamps are back on the main deals page!  WOOOHOOOO!!!!  Thanks so much, that's a HUGE plus for me!  

Thanks again!

I miss the Best Buy, Gamestop, Amazon, etc. thread icons that made finding certain threads easier.
Yeah that was one of my favorite features. It really made the forums a lot easier to navigate. I hope they bring that back...

Another thing that would be great is to bring back the join date and/or number of posts displayed under our avatars.  I always enjoyed seeing that for some reason.

I absolutely hate this. I'm not saying that because I "dislike" change, but because this new layout is terrible.

CAG felt like, as someone else pointed out, "homey". It felt different. It felt like CAG.

This feels like it's trying to be just like every other website now. Especially with how everyone's distinctive identity on the old site easily set us apart. Now, it just feels like all of that is lost. It's like CAG just lost it's soul. I've been coming here since 2005 (I know, my account is 07, but I had a different account prior to this), and this is the most disappointing update I have seen in CAG's history.

Sure, I get that this layout obviously reduces website optimization, I get that it's probably also much easier to code and implement updates (I'm a web programmer too, you know). It's just that it doesn't feel like CAG like this. It feels like you've now joined the ranks of no longer being individual, and have just cloned all the features of popular websites, right down to the new header, as-well as all the other new "features".

I'm not going to rag on the white layout, as by using Flu.x, it's not "that" bad to look at, though it still does hurt the eyes (not to mention, you've already stated a new darker layout is coming tomorrow). Maybe I'm not giving it enough time. Maybe I'm being pessimistic instead of optimistic, but I truly, as of right now, hate this, and will probably be visiting a lot less because of it.

Looks like CAG 3.0 will take the Invision Services tools and customize the shit outta them. And, considering the features Cheapy has talked about, I'm pretty sure Super Programmer John(TM) has been building a lot of the code from scratch. Doesn't get more original than that.

My only complaint is the font. Worse than Comic Sans. It literally hurts my eyes to read this text.

White background is no big deal and I think I can get used to that.  Sure hope the site does not feel so generic once everything is back up and running.

The font is almost unreadable, this needs to be fixed ASAP!  Looks like a blurry mess.  Viewing it on my laptop:

- Windows 7

- Firefox 21.0

- 1366 x 768 resolution

I don't much care for all of the white, but if you look past this, CAG 3.0 looks petty slick. I'll be excited for the dark theme, and the other things incoming. Good job John and company!

Nice work John and Cheapy, aw man. Dark version will be last? My most wanted feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back