CAG Beta/Feature Updates: Price Tracker, Collections, Boxart Upload, Reviews Live!

[quote name='John']Internet explorer issues should be fixed now.[/quote]

Indeed it is, much thanks!

Any chance we can get an original CAG 2.0 Internet Explorer bug fixed where when you click a sub-forum group (Say "Cheap Ass Gamer Lifestyle") to be able to click on the individual forums (CAG News, Feedback & Site Assistance, Your Man In Japan, etc) from there?

Also maybe the possibility of being able to have an option under User CP to move that new bar (Username / What's new / Deals / etc) to the center or right? It looks kindof weird on the left side in 1920x1200 resolution, especially when you're at the home page and everything else is centered. Though it could look worse in the other two spots too.

Oh and like someone else said, the capitilization should be fixed in that bar too. :p

I personally prefer the look of the old bar to the look of the new bar. The new one looks so boring with its plain text.

Can't access deals forum through the new navigation bar. Gives me a "must of been a member for 30 days" deal. Old one on top still works. using firefox

I feel that the positive, negative, and neutral symbols look too similar, such that they would all look the same if you were just skimming through someone's feedback. Maybe the colors of each of them could be changed or something.

When I try to edit my "New Post Settings," and I press the "Submit Changes" button all I get is a blank screen and none of my changes get applied.

Also, if I press the "x" on the modules, such as the "Popular Blog Post" thing, nothing happens.

Firefox 3.0.5

[quote name='softcoregamer']When I try to edit my "New Post Settings," and I press the "Submit Changes" button all I get is a blank screen and none of my changes get applied.

Also, if I press the "x" on the modules, such as the "Popular Blog Post" thing, nothing happens.

Firefox 3.0.5[/quote]

Looking into it.

I have a problem I am using chrome and when I look at the blog updates it says the title and then under it Hapiness

[quote name='fazfznz']Getting a Database error whenever i click on my or somebody else's profile.

using Firefox 3.05[/QUOTE]I get that when checking my own profile.

Same issues with IE7 and the tabs. Here's some pics. This is within last 10 mins:

cagbetabug1.jpg
cagbetabug2.jpg

My apologies if I am in the wrong place, but I jut had a question concerning the future Game Collection on CAG. Will there be a way to import a collection from a different web site? I've had mine on IGN for a couple of years now and though I would love to move it over to CAG once it becomes available I'm not overly excited about having to manually adding them.

I hadn't heard any details concerning this on the CAGCast and I wasn't sure where else I could find the answer.

Thanks,
Sylvan

Getting same graphical problems as FRAUD_WHATS_THAT a couple posts above. I'm using Safari 3.2.1 on OSX Leopard 10.5.6.
bugpic1.png

Not a bug, but a suggestion -- on the Price Tracker Options, maybe a "select/deselect all option." The checkboxes are kind of small and having to check/uncheck all of them (should you want to) is a bit of a chore.

Also, the Twitter widget is awesome, but I noticed that it is wider than the other widgets and also isn't closed off (completely bordered) like the other widgets. This breaks the metaphor of the site a bit. Obviously not a big deal, but I figured I'd point it out.
TwitterWidgetBug.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would be nice to be able to sort items in the price tracker based on when the price changed. This would make it easier to see which price changes occurred since the last time you looked.

[quote name='Mr. Wiggly']Also, the Twitter widget is awesome, but I noticed that it is wider than the other widgets and also isn't closed off (completely bordered) like the other widgets. This breaks the metaphor of the site a bit. Obviously not a big deal, but I figured I'd point it out.
TwitterWidgetBug.png
[/quote]

It is not like that for me. It lines up and has a border on the right like it should.

[quote name='Mr. Wiggly']
Also, the Twitter widget is awesome, but I noticed that it is wider than the other widgets and also isn't closed off (completely bordered) like the other widgets. This breaks the metaphor of the site a bit. Obviously not a big deal, but I figured I'd point it out.
TwitterWidgetBug.png
[/quote]

It's because there's a full length URL in your twitter feed.

I use Firefox, so I went over to IE to check out the price tracker thing. Very cool. I really like how all this is shaping up. Great job.

In both Firefox and IE I do not have the problems with the tabs that some people are talking about.

Firefox 3.0.5
IE 7.0

I know I mentioned this before, but I posted it with another problem and you fixed the other problem, but this one is still happening so I thought I would post it again seperately (That sentence barely makes sense).

On the home page the "x" buttons on things like the popular blog module don't seem to work.

This is going to be really cool once it all comes together.

[quote name='softcoregamer']On the home page the "x" buttons on things like the popular blog module don't seem to work.
[/quote] Temporarily disabled for some bug crunching...thanks for your patience!

[quote name='CheapyD']Collection system is live, not sure about John.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/games.php[/QUOTE]

Nice!

I just entered the top shelf in my closet plus a few random things that I saw while searching for those and I already have 4 pages worth - got a LONG way to go...

A couple of quickie comments:

1) Need a way to remove a rating completely (set it back to no stars/blank). I accidentally clicked on the wrong lines a few times (on games I haven't played) and would prefer they have no rating than having to pick one at that point.

2) Either the search terms need to allow for system or there needs to be a way to display more results. For example, I was trying to add the original Lego Star Wars for Gamecube but typing "Lego Star Wars" comes up with so many different games and the GC one is not shown (presumably it is just further down the list). Adding Gamecube to the search string did not help. Another way this might be handled is if the user puts it in quotes, to only show games with that exact name (thus I would only get the original "Lego Star Wars" for PS2, GC, and Xbox if I put Lego Star Wars in quotes in the search field and not all the Original Trilogy and Complete Saga stuff).

3) Y's The Ark of Napishtim is not listed for PS2 (yet it is there for PSP). I threw some pretty obscure stuff at it and this was the only one it couldn't find. Well, so far - I gots lots more weird things to throw at it later ;).

Edit; Threw in a few from my trade list to see how the "for sale/for trade" part works. Maybe there should be an indication on the master list (when looking over someone's games) to see if something is available for sale or trade? This may very well be there but I can't see it on my own list in any case. Also, Metroid [classic NES series] needs to be added for GBA ("Bomberman [classic NES series]" is in there but not Metroid).

1) I thought the same thing myself, I'll get on it.
2) I'll be making some more improvements to the AJAX search - once the main game database goes up, you'll also have a more traditional method of searching for games that lets you input various criteria. (E.g. UPC code, platform, genre, name, etc.)
3) Unfortunately the data we have does have a few holes in it, but you'll be able to add your own submissions via the game database system.

[quote name='John']
3) Unfortunately the data we have does have a few holes in it, but you'll be able to add your own submissions via the game database system.[/QUOTE]

Excellent - I was wondering about user submissions. I'm sure there will be more missing on the obscure stuff, especially as people start entering older system games.

What is the source of the database? I noticed it had things in there that aren't out yet and may never come out (like Star Wars Battlefront III). Though I do like the idea of having "wish list" items that may include things that come out later in the year - but then that doesn't really belong in the collection I suppose.

Hey Cheapy - how's come I don't have me one of these awards: "2008 Child's Play Raffle Participant". You're makin' me look like an ultra cheap cheap-ass! I donated! Oh wait, is it that my PayPal address doesn't match my registered CAG email address?

Probably because you got in from being a moderator...remind me (much) later and we will get that done.

Man, this collection thing is going be sweet when paired with the trading database. I can't wait for that ish to be online.

Extremely large and shiny kudos to all involved!

[quote name='CheapyD']Probably because you got in from being a moderator...remind me (much) later and we will get that done.[/QUOTE]

Aye - Shrike and Shipwreck don't have it either and I'm 99.9% sure they both donated too ;).

Do you guys have to add these in manually or how does that work? What other awards (or types of awards) are in the works?

Reporting a few "bugs" with the collection feature.

When attempting to add games such as "Final Fantasy X," the list populates too many results with a similar title, but will not have enough range to display "Final Fantasy X." Possibly consider paged lists that you can advance through if your title is not displayed?

Also, I understand the "click-to-clear" search field, but it can be a hindrance sometimes. For example, if I previously searched "Final Fantasy XII" and I want to change my search to "Final Fantasy X," I would normally click and drag my cursor over "II" and try to delete it, making my search "Final Fantasy X." Instead, the moment I drag my cursor and select the text I would like to remove, my search field is entirely cleared, forcing me to type "Final Fantasy X" again.

I'd also consider a feature that lets you remove games from your collection, if you accidentally add/trade/lose/sell a game. Right now, I cannot remove one of the games from my collection in any way I've found.
EDIT: Nevermind, I found the removal option when you're in your main collection screen. Maybe add the option under the "edit" page, or add the removal icon to the search field, so you can remove it instantly if you didn't mean to add it.

Those are just a few usability issues I've noticed. Otherwise, great stuff!

theHeat - I pretty much asked the same thing a few posts ago (except concerning Lego Star Wars for the GC). Here is John's response to just that bit to make it clear from the other stuff he responded too (as I'm sure others will have the same issue with any game with commonly-used words in the title):

2) I'll be making some more improvements to the AJAX search - once the main game database goes up, you'll also have a more traditional method of searching for games that lets you input various criteria. (E.g. UPC code, platform, genre, name, etc.)

I like the simplicity and quickness of the current method (enter any part of a game name and chances are it will pop up). It works great as is for most stuff, and hopefully the additions he is making for optional search criteria will take care of the other cases.

(Edit - Got bored with work and decided to enter the second shelf of my collection. Yeah, there's some wacky things going on in the DB. There are several Shin Megami Tensei games listed but no Digital Devil Saga 1 or 2. Also, there's every Mario Party except 7 listed. That one is kind of weird.)

Two things for the game collections: first time I deleted a game from my collection, it either didn't actually delete, or the list repopulated itself without including that deletion. That follows from my second issue, which is that when the search is cleared and your collection displays again, it doesn't include anything you might have added during your last search, requiring a refresh.

In addition to what Draekon mentions below about the game condition, perhaps have an option to add those sorts of flags to the list view so you can just click through the list indicating which have manuals, etc?

So far it's obnoxiously easier than IGN, so I'm diggin it.

Just noting some things for myself so I don't forget when the submissions go online:
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2 is not in the database
Yggdra Union is listed under DS instead of GBA
Rhythm Tengoku (import) is not in the database
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! (import) is not in the database
Daigasso! Band Brothers Request Selection (import) is not in the database
My Japanese Coach is not in the database
Digital Devil Saga 1/2 are not in the database
Nocturne is listed as Lucifer's Call
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PS1) is not in the database

A suggestion for the game collection page. I noticed you can edit each game individually for specifics things (Tradable, has box, manual, condition, etc), but could we get an option to set specific options as default so when we add a game, the options are pre-added for that game in our collection? It would make it so much easier for the user who wants to add those types of things in. That way we're only editing the oddities rather than every single game.

John - nice job so far on the collection database. It works really well.

A couple minor suggestions/thoughts:
  1. Add a feature that allow users to sort collections by platform and in alpha order. It would be nice to also customize the order of the platforms. (i.e. Since PS3 is my main console, I would want to list PS3 games first in alpha order.)
  2. Hopefully some of the options under the "Edit Collection Game" will be accessible from the Game Collection list. Things like available for Trade/Sale and Game Condition would be most useful IMO.

I see the option to download a CSV, which is cool. Are there plans for an upload feature if we already have a collection somewhere? For example, if you have a collection on IGN, you can scrape that into Excel, save to a CSV and then upload it here. Optimal!

Apologies if this has already been requested!

[quote name='theHeat']EDIT: Nevermind, I found the removal option when you're in your main collection screen. Maybe add the option under the "edit" page, or add the removal icon to the search field, so you can remove it instantly if you didn't mean to add it.[/QUOTE]

I second this request. The delete option should show up right next to the "Added!" icon.

[quote name='munch']The game collection thing is really nice and fluid. Little Big Planet isn't showing up, though :whee:[/quote]

try searching "littlebigplanet"

I know the full database isn't up, but it seems like the logic in the search is a little weird. For example...

When I search "Soul Calibur" or "Soul Calibur 4", Soul Calibur IV doesn't come up. Only when I search "Soul Calibur IV" does it appear. However, when I search, "Grand Theft Auto" or "Grand Theft Auto 4", Grand Theft Auto IV comes up. I'm on Firefox on OS X 10.5.

Great job with everything so far guys, it's looking great!

[quote name='botticus']Two things for the game collections: first time I deleted a game from my collection, it either didn't actually delete, or the list repopulated itself without including that deletion. [/QUOTE]

I see this too. Here are the steps.
1. Search for a game, say "Metal Gear Solid 4"
2. Add a game from the results.
3. Clear the search box (note that the game isn't in your list).
4. Refresh the page (the game should now be in your list).
5. Delete the game from the list
6. Click in the Search box -- you should see that the game has reappeared in your list
7. Refreshing fixes it up.

I noticed that you guys have made a distinction between downloadable games ie: they cannot be traded or their conditions rated.

Is it possible to be able to distinguish them platform-wise from their disc-based counterparts? For example, it would be nice when sorting by platform to have xbox live arcade games seperate from disc-based xbox 360 games.

thanks!

Game collection is awesome!

One thing to make is awesomer, add a row highlight. Sometimes I have to double-check that I'm in the correct row when adding stars and marking completion.

I've been curious as long as Cheapy has been touting the collection system, who maintains this database?

There's already a row highlight, but it isn't nearly as dark as it ought to be. I love the 5 star rating system by the way!

[quote name='Mr. Wiggly']I see the option to download a CSV, which is cool. Are there plans for an upload feature if we already have a collection somewhere? For example, if you have a collection on IGN, you can scrape that into Excel, save to a CSV and then upload it here. Optimal!

Apologies if this has already been requested![/QUOTE]

Yes, please. The last thing I want to do is spend a weekend entering my collection into yet another site. Also, I would request support for custom fields to keep track of things I have in my collection database, like where I purchased it, when I bought it, how much I paid for it, ESRB rating, publisher, developer, etc.

I'm not sure if it's a bug or me getting a bit too click-happy, but I found when I looked over my collection a few titles were entered twice. Simply deleting them did the trick, but now I'm missing a title and I'm not sure what it is. :bomb:

When I go to leave feedback, it takes me to a screen where it asks for my beta code. I received a package today from scarface7 and I want to leave feedback but it won't let me, dagnabbit.

I'm sorry, I might be going crazy here, but is the current default font being changed? Perhaps even has been changed a few times over the last couple of days?

It's like this tiny almost imperceptible thing that is completely under my skin at the moment, and I can't tell if I'm dreaming it all up or something. There is also a chance the tacos I just ate were drugged, in which case - ok, drugged tacos are the culprit.

[quote name='Draekon']A suggestion for the game collection page. I noticed you can edit each game individually for specifics things (Tradable, has box, manual, condition, etc), but could we get an option to set specific options as default so when we add a game, the options are pre-added for that game in our collection? It would make it so much easier for the user who wants to add those types of things in. That way we're only editing the oddities rather than every single game.[/quote]

Completely agree with this one. If you buy all of your trade/sale games new like me then this would save me tons of time. Or maybe just 2 default options, all new choices or all used good condition? Then the trader can manually adjust the other fields for the few that different from most of collection. Hopefully that makes sense?

Unless this is done on purpose the website does not look good on high res monitors. I am running a 1920x1200 monitor and web page looks bad if I enlarge my browser window. See example in the picture.

2h4yzww.png

Looks fine to me at the same resolution. Most websites aren't designed with such a high resolution in mind.

I get around this by having two separate windows open, each about half the width of the screen.

I got to the website and thought, "I would like to see super-programmer-John's profile. Without really thinking I went to home page search box, typed in john, and strange things happened:

A cag page flashed, but then went blank, and down in the bottom "progress field" ( I am not sure what to call it) read "Transferring data from digg.com..." but nothing ever happened.

This happened with Firefox 3.0, but not in IE. It's probably not a high priority thing, but I thought I would mention it.

I love the additions so far.

bread's done
Back