CAG Beta/Feature Updates: Price Tracker, Collections, Boxart Upload, Reviews Live!

[quote name='Strell']I'm sorry, I might be going crazy here, but is the current default font being changed? Perhaps even has been changed a few times over the last couple of days?

It's like this tiny almost imperceptible thing that is completely under my skin at the moment, and I can't tell if I'm dreaming it all up or something. There is also a chance the tacos I just ate were drugged, in which case - ok, drugged tacos are the culprit.[/quote]I'm pretty sure I noticed something along those lines - maybe a tiny bit bigger or wider font? It was most noticeable in quotes/italics, but I don't really notice it now.

The font is definitely bigger on certain threads. Half the tabs I have open in Firefox are one size and half are another, slightly bigger.

I changed some of the profile settings for viewing my collection and now I can't access it or the settings. I just get a vBulletin message saying that I don't have permission to view the page.

I have one major issue with the new profiles....It doesn't have my PSN-ID anywhere in the profile and doesn't mention any of my Wii/DS codes. I want people to click my profile to see them like before.

I haven't had much time to tinker around, but for the most part, all the bugs/suggestions everyone has listed is pretty much what I've come across with.

hi a quick request for game collection i think there should be a way to edit everything at once instead of individually for example editing price for each one .

The game collection is cool. I looked Oblivion, though, and the GotY version doesn't seem to be available. Only the reg. version and the 2 expansion packs.

Are muliples going to be allowed in the collection list? I have multiple copies of Halo and Crimson Skies that I got cheap and use for System Link games on my LAN. Right now I can only show singular copies. It's something I liked about the collection lists over at IGN. I can't wait for the bigger games databse to kick in!

[quote name='shieryda']The game collection is cool. I looked Oblivion, though, and the GotY version doesn't seem to be available. Only the reg. version and the 2 expansion packs.[/quote]

Yeah, I noticed that too. Also, Silent Hill 2 PS2 and Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble Gamecube are yet to be available. Limited Editions are not in the database and I do have many multiple copies of games as well. It will probably take me longer to add games than it takes them to put everything in order. There should also be an option for you to create your own game or something for those who like to trade vintage games such as FFVII and so on. I like the feature so far:applause:

[quote name='cochesecochese']Looks fine to me at the same resolution. Most websites aren't designed with such a high resolution in mind.

I get around this by having two separate windows open, each about half the width of the screen.[/QUOTE]

I am not saying it is a fatal flaw. I am just saying this can also be easily fixed by just centering it. If it centers with the whole web page then it would look fine. Just contributing my opinion.

Played around a bit with the Collection feature. Are we going to have an option to upload game cover art for games that are missing the art?

It would be nice if the game cover art was all the same size. I've noticed that some of the cover arts in my game collection are condensed and others are full-sized.

Maybe it's nitpicking, but it would be nice for all of the covers to look the same when I'm looking at my collection.

It's looking nice so far.

[quote name='daphatty']Played around a bit with the Collection feature. Are we going to have an option to upload game cover art for games that are missing the art?[/quote]

Click on the "No Art" link and you'll be able to upload new box art. There'll be an easier way to get to it once the rest of the game database area is up.

Other tweaks that are now live:
- See a user's rating/now playing/beaten status in their game list
- Clear your rating of a game using the cross icon to the right of the stars in your collection listing
- Alphabetical filtering in collections for multiple-page lists
- Wish lists are now available, although they'll look a little sparse until the trading system is up. Nevertheless, you can populate them in the same way as game collections.

I figure the wish list is still in the beginning, so i'm not sure if you had already planned the feature..... but will there be an option when you buy or trade to get the item, it gets moved to your collection? and when you do that will it ask you for details at that moment to put in like the price paid and such?

But I'm loving it, i was waiting for the wish list to come up so i could add, first thing i did this morning was check......

Awesome job guys, keep it up, CAG rocks!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mang9432']try searching "littlebigplanet"

I know the full database isn't up, but it seems like the logic in the search is a little weird. For example...

When I search "Soul Calibur" or "Soul Calibur 4", Soul Calibur IV doesn't come up. Only when I search "Soul Calibur IV" does it appear. However, when I search, "Grand Theft Auto" or "Grand Theft Auto 4", Grand Theft Auto IV comes up. I'm on Firefox on OS X 10.5.

Great job with everything so far guys, it's looking great![/quote]

Agree with this with search function. It's a little qwirky sometimes. And I'm not finding like 15% of my games. I've used multiple different avenues to find a game. I hope there's an advanced search function in the future. See goozex's site (only for reference) for ideas. It's really rare when I can't find the right game there. I think I recall something about a UPC or ASIN lookup function, possibly? That would be good alternative if you're unable to find via the regular title search.

Excellent job so far! CAG MVP of 2009! Cheapy must have tons of money to pay this guy, I hope.

Someone noted this previously, and I don't think it is beta related, but the scrolling "Latest CAG Blogs" window at the top right of the screen always seems to have text on the second line that is "stuck." Right now every entry has "Lots of it!)" showing up on the 2nd line for each blog entry.

I'm using IE7 running 1024x768 on XP.

[quote name='John']Click on the "No Art" link and you'll be able to upload new box art. There'll be an easier way to get to it once the rest of the game database area is up. [/QUOTE]

Guess I should have clicked on that link. Thanks for the clarification.

At some point you might want to also consider adding a category and/or icons :)360::psp:) for some of the older console games, specifically games on consoles that are considered popular in hobbyist circles like the Saturn, Dreamcast, Neo-Geo, etc. Although that might also necessitate a "console" category in the Collection database to begin with. (If one exists then I haven't seen it.)

Next question, will the new games database also allow us to denote Japanese and European versions of our games in addition to the US releases?

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']Someone noted this previously, and I don't think it is beta related, but the scrolling "Latest CAG Blogs" window at the top right of the screen always seems to have text on the second line that is "stuck." Right now every entry has "Lots of it!)" showing up on the 2nd line for each blog entry.

I'm using IE7 running 1024x768 on XP.[/quote]

Same issue here, but I'm running Firefox in 1440x900.

Other notes: I really like the price tracker and the awards (achievements!) features, they both seem to be working really well. I can't wait to add games to the collection once it's up and running!

Great work on the new features, this is more then I expected.
One minor thing for me, the Wii icon is a little difficult to make out. I glanced over it a few times because I didn't recognize what it was. Again, minor thing.

Feature Requests/Suggestions:

1. In the Collections, it's a bit of a chore editing multiple games. Is there a way to implement changes to a bunch of games at once? If that's not plausible, then maybe a "Save and Go to Next Game" on the list button when editing games. That way there is one less screen to go through and you could just power through your current collection.

2. Could we add other currencies to price paid? I've picked up quite a few games from Goozex and would like to be able to enter points paid rather than price. I know the points work out to about $5/100pts but it would be neat to see points :)

3. This goes along with 2 and I feel like I remember Cheapy mentioning it as a feature on the CAGcast: where purchased/acquired for the Collection.

Everything is looking awesome so far John. Thank you!

Hey I just got done trying to add all of my games into "my collection" and I just wanted to share some thoughts.

1. Will there be a way to see multiple pages of games that come back from a search? I know there are some database issues with it's completeness, but I searched for a game like The Sims 2 and it looked like the search had many many matches. My version is for the Xbox and yet I didn't see any Xbox versions of the game. It seemed like the results might have been sorted by system, and the Xbox versions were not coming back in that "first" page. This seemed to happen occasionaly on the games that have common names or many many versions across the platforms.

2. Along the lines of #1, Will we have a way to search by system?

3. I think that this has been requested before, but multiple copies of the games in my list would be good. I have games in my collection as well as a second copy that I would like to put in my tradelist.

4. After you add a game to your collection and it says "Added". I think there should be a "delete" link next to it. I added a few games by accident and there was no immediate way to undo that.

5. Is the bigger games database going to let us add classic games?

6. I like the feature to mark games as having been "beaten" but what about another list like the collection or tradelist that is something like "Historical". This would be a list of games that you did have in your collection that you traded or sold. The only purpose of this would be to be able to mark these as "beaten" as I've beaten many games that are no longer in my collection.

Well I think that about does it. So far I love the new features. Keep up the good work.

I hope you're not making Super Programmer John find the individual titles to put in the collection. He seems to have enough on his plate. You should get a group of volunteers to do it.

For instance, I wouldnt mind throwing some time at filling it in/making corrections.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I hope you're not making Super Programmer John find the individual titles to put in the collection. He seems to have enough on his plate. You should get a group of volunteers to do it.

For instance, I wouldnt mind throwing some time at filling it in/making corrections.[/quote]

The wiki style editing system lets people add missing games and editing existing ones, it's part of the next big update. (We should see it within the next couple of days.)

John, while it's not strictly related to the Beta, thought I could run a feature by you where you're easy to find.

What is the feasibility of some sort of wiki system for editing posts? In this case it's for the Wii Shop Channel update thread, but it's the sort of thing that could be applied to any sort of mega thread. Essentially the idea would be that the OP could delegate editing permissions for a particular post to other users, so a long-running thread isn't reliant on one person to maintain it.

Is this doable with the current software, or would it require an excessive amount of work?

[quote name='jmiller80']I changed some of the profile settings for viewing my collection and now I can't access it or the settings. I just get a vBulletin message saying that I don't have permission to view the page.[/quote]
Same thing happens to me. I changed my settings so only friends could view my collections and wish-list, and it wouldn't let me view them. I just hit the back button and corrected it. I added myself to my friends list and got the same problem. I'm using Firefox 3.0.6, but I don't think it matters.

I was thinking... the game database that's being implimented now with the collection, wish list, and tradelist (maybe minus the tradelist). After it's all up and working, could it get duplicated with a few things changed for a movie database?

The site is called Cheap Ass Gamer I know, but the DVD/BDDVD/HDDVD section gets a fair amount of use too. Plus it shouldn't be too time consuming to duplicate the code used for the game database stuff and change it over to movie.

There are other things on the site that could be duplicated on this site, but I don't think there's enough of that other stuff to create its own section except for movies. It's something to consider anyways and I'm sure some people such as Linkin wouldn't mind having it. :p

I'm not sure, as I'm not part of the beta, but would it be a possibility to add a selection to 360 games pages to put how many achievements you have for that game? (Points / # of achievements)? I want to start doing this in the backloggery in the notes section, but if CAG has it i'll just wait. Not sure if adding notes and stuff is even a possibility in the beta right now (like for thoughts, progress, etc.)

Can't wait to try this out.

Game pages are kind-of live right now. They are missing stuff, but you can get an idea what they look like. You can even upload new box art to replace our shitty placeholders. Uploaded boxart will be moderated and go live soon. We will even give out awards for certain #'s of uploads.

Soon, you will be able to replace the place holder descriptions and edit more info in the game wiki. Also, we are aware the valuation slider is wonky.

Example:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/games.php?do=gameinfo&gameid=241

Is there an official thread with all the CAG awards a person can get (or that exist if one-off) so that hoarders can try to go for them all? Or will a the fraction of award out of total (2/2 or whatever) appear on a persons awards page?

Those are the placeholders...If you see the "Upload Box Art" icon to the right of the box art, fire way! Thanks for the help, I've seen you;ve done a bunch already.

It's strangely addictive!

I see that "anyone" can be allowed to see our collection, is there a way to link directly to that section of our profile? excuse if a dumb post..

@Mr.Anderson. For now only for those who participated in the CAG Child's Play Fundraiser are the ones who can test out the beta. To all other members Cheapy and John hope to open up to you guys real soon.

I uploaded a couple of box art photos earlier today and I noticed that they were placed in a moderation queue. Great idea indeed.

How is that going to work? Is that going to be a new moderator duty? I'd like to volunteer for that. :)

I was adding games and here are the "bugs" i came across.

DS Game
--Ninjatown is listed as one word. I think it should be Ninja Town (2 words)
--Pokemon diamond/peal is listed as one game. I think it should be 2 seperate games.

PS3 Games
-- Echochrome is doulbe listed (triple listed if you count the psp version but that obviously belongs there)
-- R-types missing from ps3(psn) catalog

[quote name='botticus']
What is the feasibility of some sort of wiki system for editing posts? In this case it's for the Wii Shop Channel update thread, but it's the sort of thing that could be applied to any sort of mega thread. Essentially the idea would be that the OP could delegate editing permissions for a particular post to other users, so a long-running thread isn't reliant on one person to maintain it.[/quote]
Agreed. Will there be a round two for the beta?

[quote name='PhrostByte']Get a credit card.. check my thread in the Other Deals forum. :][/quote]
Sure, right after I'm old enough to get a job and a driver's license. ;)

I had a credit card when I was around 14.. might have been a mistake on Capital One's behalf though. :p

Edit: Hey Cheapy I got a little bug report. My iTrader is (42) 49 total but my trading page on CAG beta is (40) 45 total. Weird innit?

Last edited by a moderator:
:D Can't wait till the beta is spread to more people or the collection feature is opened to the general public.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Edit: Hey Cheapy I got a little bug report. My iTrader is (42) 49 total but my trading page on CAG beta is (40) 45 total. Weird innit?[/quote]

Because you received those after the beta started...your score will be updated when we take the old system offline.

bread's done
Back