CAG Fighter Fighting Game Matchmaking - SSFIV AE Games with Gold in June, Skullgirls Encore (free update) Out Now!

Anyone watching Cross Assault? The game is looking really sweet. I'm not really a huge fan off any of the players but I'm rooting for Team SF naturally :D

Sorry I missed out last night guys. I went out with some friends & ended up getting home pretty late. How was BBCSX? I'll try to get in some matches with some of you guys over the weekend.

Also I'm super excited about Abel now. He's got Urien's tackle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdIa1hp3hhk

I was thinking of trying him out anyways, but this makes me even more excited.

I'm at work. My Vita and UMvC3 are both staring at me. I did like 20 missions over lunch. Cannot focus on anything.

Edit: And my first win in ranked was a ragequit. Awwwwwwyeaaaah!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BackInBlack']Thx for letting me be your training dumby in CSE Guardian :D[/QUOTE]
Keep on sticking with it! Sorry I had to leave after you came in, I had called in some take-out that had to be picked up. It's been a long time since we've played anything.

Everyone get some unlimited characters unlocked for Wednesday for the lulz.

EDIT: Also, exposed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bGdZEpNmeQ

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're not watching Cross Assault right now, you're missing out.

a23v4.png

So is it worth it to get the CE of SF x Tekken to have all the preorder gems, or will the community shun the Gem system and it only be worth it to sell the gem code on EBay?

[quote name='MSUHitman']So is it worth it to get the CE of SF x Tekken to have all the preorder gems, or will the community shun the Gem system and it only be worth it to sell the gem code on EBay?[/QUOTE]

I think we're going to have to wait and see how the gems play out. A lot of the hardcore community has seemed to embrace them.

I'm fairly certain, however, that the CE gems will be available to purchase down the road... so that may impact your decision.

[quote name='IanKazimer']I don't believe they're making me wait for Bryan Fury. Shit ain't right.[/QUOTE]

And where da fuck's Cody? Terrible.

[quote name='IanKazimer']I'm at work. My Vita and UMvC3 are both staring at me. I did like 20 missions over lunch. Cannot focus on anything.

Edit: And my first win in ranked was a ragequit. Awwwwwwyeaaaah![/QUOTE]

Hahah, I'd be doing the same if I had the Vita version, I'm sure. Ragequitters... ;(

[quote name='BackInBlack']Thx for letting me be your training dumby in CSE Guardian :D[/QUOTE]

GGs! I think the game will take some adjusting, but it's pretty good prep for UMvC3, too.

[quote name='Zazie']I'm really looking forward to SFxT next week, can someone recommend a good pad controller for xbox[/QUOTE]

I've been using the OG Madcatz Fightpads for years now, and there's pretty much nothing better on the 360. They redesigned the Fightpads for SFxT to a slimmer model with an even floatier d-pad. I haven't had a chance to use one yet, but they're available now. I should be getting mine in a few days, so I might have some impressions:

http://www.amazon.com/Mad-Catz-Stre...PW/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1330565701&sr=8-15

[quote name='MSUHitman']So is it worth it to get the CE of SF x Tekken to have all the preorder gems, or will the community shun the Gem system and it only be worth it to sell the gem code on EBay?[/QUOTE]
Like Guardian said, it's still unclear how they'll shape up in competitive play. It sounds like they'll be incorporated into competitive play.

The biggest issue isn't the gems themselves, but the time it takes to get them set up. This is going to add a ton of time to tournaments but should be addressed with the "Tournament Mode" patch.

GGs last night to everyone in BBCSX. Lots of fun matches, but I'm sad that not everyone had Unlimited Characters unlocked.

Hahah, I'd be doing the same if I had the Vita version, I'm sure. Ragequitters... ;(

Dude, it was awful. I got up to 6th relatively quickly, but the battle to get from 99 wins to 100 was a grueling one. I had to have had 7 wins in between before someone actually stuck around to take their loss.

Big problem is how easy it is to RQ on Vita. You hit the PS button and just swipe the app away. You can start it back up within seconds. At least dashboarding on 360 takes a while to come back from. I even had a bunch of RQs in SoulCalibur V PLAYER matches this week. Shit's ridiculous.

One thing Vita has reminded me of is my pad warrior roots. I may actually give pad another shot with UMvC on 360. I've been running Ammy/X-23/Nova and totally loving it. Also, Tron/Frank/Nova to varying success. My mission to make her work continues.

Also, I'm not buying SFxT on launch because I'm buying this tonight: http://imgur.com/ZTUmn

Should hopefully get the game from Gamefly though!

My Newegg order for SFxTK probably won't come till Thurs or Fri, but I tried the game out last night. Feels so different but looks so much like SF4, making it hard to break away from SF4 tendencies. The game is fun though. Lots of stuff to play around with.

So you guys are still buying SFxT despite all 12 of the DLC characters being on disc (with Mega Man and Pac Man not being on 360 indefinitely), and there being no local 2 player online battles (on 360)?

[quote name='BackInBlack'] Who is gona be playing sfxt tomorrow night?
[/QUOTE]
I will, probably with all of the usual suspects.

[quote name='shinryuu']My Newegg order for SFxTK probably won't come till Thurs or Fri, but I tried the game out last night. Feels so different but looks so much like SF4, making it hard to break away from SF4 tendencies. The game is fun though. Lots of stuff to play around with.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, definitely. I'm going to have to make a lot of adjustments to Balrog if I stick with him in this. The juggle system is awesome but a little weird to get used to. I only messed around a little last night but I really like it so far.

[quote name='lolwut?']So you guys are still buying SFxT despite all 12 of the DLC characters being on disc (with Mega Man and Pac Man not being on 360 indefinitely), and there being no local 2 player online battles (on 360)?[/QUOTE]
Yes. Go troll somewhere else.

------
So I take it we're allowing gems this evening? I haven't set up any of mine yet. I have a feeling I'm going to need a meter-building gem because it seems like most of Balrog's high damage combos need meter. Especially since headbutt whiffs on crouching opponents.

[quote name='lolwut?']So you guys are still buying SFxT despite all 12 of the DLC characters being on disc (with Mega Man and Pac Man not being on 360 indefinitely), and there being no local 2 player online battles (on 360)?[/QUOTE]

The fact is, I know that I'm part of a faction of gamers that must buy this game, despite any misrepresentations being made by Capcom. I certainly don't advocate, or even condone, Capcom's business model, but I'm not in a position to stand on a soapbox or picket because, simply put, I need to have this game.

If it were another genre, another set of characters, another fighter maybe I'd boycott too, but right now I want to play SF x T with friends that I have on the 360, so that's what I'll be doing... because that experience is worth $70 for me. I'll have to decide down the line if those additional DLC characters are worth what Capcom's asking for.

You're asking a group of fighting game lovers if they're going to be picking up the next biggest fighter despite being shortchanged/nickel'd and dime'd. Do you ask the same question to Madden or Call of Duty players? Did you ask the same question about Bioshock 2, with their multiplayer fiasco? Maybe Mortal Kombat with their PS3 Exclusive? This is, unfortunately, not an uncommon practice, but there will always be a core group that enjoys the source material enough to buy the games regardless. You're looking at that core group. That said, every individual has their breaking point. It hasn't been reached with Capcom yet for me, though it's certainly getting close. Even then, I'd probably just buy used.

[quote name='MtlTom']Yes. Go troll somewhere else.[/QUOTE]

You've got me; my question was clearly not legitimate at all. I'll be heading back under my bridge now

[quote name='GuardianE']You're asking a group of fighting game lovers if they're going to be picking up the next biggest fighter despite being shortchanged/nickel'd and dime'd. Do you ask the same question to Madden or Call of Duty players? Did you ask the same question about Bioshock 2, with their multiplayer fiasco? Maybe Mortal Kombat with their PS3 Exclusive? This is, unfortunately, not an uncommon practice, but there will always be a core group that enjoys the source material enough to buy the games regardless. You're looking at that core group. That said, every individual has their breaking point. It hasn't been reached with Capcom yet for me, though it's certainly getting close. Even then, I'd probably just buy used.[/QUOTE]

The situations you described aren't all that similar (in my eyes at least), but I'll still give my take on them. I don't question Madden gamers because I don't play Madden, and they're likely aware that another one will be coming out the next year. Same for Call of Duty; one will be coming out the next year, and over-priced map packs are all but expected at this point, and I don't support those either. I have no idea what you're referring to with Bioshock 2. I voiced my distaste for Kratos, as well as the Xbox not getting their own character, and the fact that a season pass was announced relatively soon after the game was released.

None of the games you listed came with an entire roster of (more or less) complete characters hidden on the disc, as well as supposed "exclusive" characters on both consoles. To my knowledge, none of them falsely advertised local play and then said it was a typo and Microsoft's fault after it released. None of them were extremely biased with one console's version of the game over the other. I asked in the fighting game thread because this is where big fighting game fans post, and I assumed would be the most likely to know about all of this, and be the most hurt by it.

That said, I appreciate you taking the time to actually voice your opinion rather than write my question off as an attempt to "troll," and I respect your decision to buy the game. I'm a big fan of fighting games and I was also a fan of Capcom, but the shit they pulled with this game, along with their horrible responses when questioned about it, has pushed me over the edge. I wanted to see if anyone else had reached a breaking point like I had after seeing all of this.

Have you played the game online at all yet? I feel it's almost unplayable in its current state with the horrible audio glitch.

[quote name='lolwut?']You've got me; my question was clearly not legitimate at all. I'll be heading back under my bridge now
[/QUOTE]
Sorry, the way it was worded I took it the wrong way. I just get tired of people ragging on X franchise for. My apologies.

I think that Guardian hit the nail on the head. Capcom gets a lot of crap for doing this, but quite frankly its something that developers/publishers of most major annual franchises do with COD & most sports games being the most obvious offenders. For me personally, I've gotten countless hours out of all of my Capcom fighting game purchases so it's not that big of a deal. I bought the game knowing there was going to be DLC fighters because they were at least up front about that. Do I agree with the way it was handled? Absolutely not. Do I understand why it was done (console exclusivity, compatibility, etc.)? Yes.

I actually take bigger issue with the current state of the netcode. We were promised a better version of SF4's netcode (which I feel is pretty decent). I feel with the current sound glitch, the game is nearly unplayable. I'm actually more frustrated with that & no statement on when it will be fixed.

Sorry for blowing up, I hope I've answered your question.

Also, GGs to everyone last night. This game is super fun. I'm really looking forward to learning the system. I'm not really happy with the team I was primarily using (Balrog/Abel) so I'll be exploring some new options.

I just rented it tonight thanks to the free redbox rental, and while I think it's one of the best fighting games in a long time (I consider myself a moderate enthusiast of fighting games), I will wait til it's $30 due to the 2 things I imagine most people are not fans of: the 12 characters on disc. Yeah, yeah. Companies need to bring in money any way they can. But I can't support that method. And the audio glitch, which I only found out about now, is absolutely horrible.

But I can understand people buying this game now even though they don't want to support Capcom's wacky schemes. It's crazy beautiful, lightning fast, and does already boast a pretty full roster.

No worries; sorry for the confusion. Yeah, I took it back tonight after trying to play online again; it was horrible, and finding a ranked match is really hit or miss. Search parameters don't really help either.

I hope Capcom gets their shit together, fixes the game, and releases the "DLC" in the fall for free, but I think we all know that won't happen.

[quote name='lolwut?']
I hope Capcom gets their shit together, fixes the game, and releases the "DLC" in the fall for free, but I think we all know that won't happen.[/QUOTE]
They have been saying that we'll be "pleasantly surprised" with how they handle the DLC. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the characters are free, but I don't expect all of them to be.

In other news, this sucks:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregama...regarding_the_online_sound_and_network_issues

YO, Rumor time...Take it what you will

from neogaf

hey all - there's a listing for a new marvel vs capcom 3 version in the computers here at gamestop.

ULTIMATE MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 3X - "Expand the ultimate experience. 8 new challengers join the fight!"

there's a listing for july 3 for a dlc voucher @ $14.99 and july 24 for a packaged disc version @ $39.99.

not sure if i can post this, but this is what they're using for the placeholder.

WEZqy.png

[quote name='joe2187']YO, Rumor time...Take it what you will

WEZqy.png
[/QUOTE]

Svensson: Just got back from GDC so I'll make this short: that is completely fake.

Seth Killian: Sorry guys,

I can't say for sure, but the videos have me intrigued. I'm terrible at 2D fighters though. Well, all fighters, but 2D more so.

[quote name='Zazie']I'm really enjoying SFxT, this is my first fighter playing on a fightstick and man i really suck at it[/QUOTE]
Feel free to join in with any of us on Wednesday nights. You can also add any of us or CAG Fighter IV to your friends list to send requests.

So I'd like to start running SFXT round-robins next week. Since the matches start longer I'm thinking 2/3 rather than the 3/5 we'd been doing for Marvel. Depending how it goes, I'd be open to doing 3/5. Obviously this would be singles but if we have enough time/people we could do teams as well. It does pose the questions though....

- Do we want to allow gems?
- If we're allowing gems, do we want to ban assist gems (auto-block, auto-tech, etc.) or DLC gems?

I'm indifferent towards the gems (except assist gems, I think they should be banned) so I'd like everyone's feedback.

I don't have a problem with the gems. Even the assist gems aren't that bad since they cost 1 meter each time they're activated.

I dont think banning any gems is nesccessary, it's already part of the game mechanic and overall it's not even that noticeable, the most powerful ones have specific activations or have some sort of negative effect.

Any thoughts on a Team round robin or something involving teams?

In the case of any ties, we will resort to Scramble mode ;)

GGs to Joe & bs over the weekend!

[quote name='Kensei']I don't have a problem with the gems. Even the assist gems aren't that bad since they cost 1 meter each time they're activated.[/QUOTE]
Assist gems are broken. It's easy to build meter in this game, especially with meter boost gems.

[quote name='joe2187']I dont think banning any gems is nesccessary, it's already part of the game mechanic and overall it's not even that noticeable, the most powerful ones have specific activations or have some sort of negative effect.

Any thoughts on a Team round robin or something involving teams?[/QUOTE]
I agree, most of the boost gems are pretty negligible. As I mentioned above, assist gems are straight up stupid.

Some of the DLC gems have lower activation requirements, or similar power-ups with no negative effect. That's why I mentioned the possibility of banning them.

Personally I'd be fine without gems. I think they're more trouble for what they're worth.

I'm pretty indifferent to gems. I don't like them, and I don't dislike them. Frankly, I don't even know which gems are DLC and which aren't, and I haven't put a whole lot of thought into gem selection.

I think Tom has a point with the Assist gems. Considering that whiffing normals builds meter in this game, and the autotech/autoblock gems only use HALF a meter to activate, it completely negates mixups for a very small cost. And it's not as though you can't perform regular techs or blocks... and plenty of characters can do serious meterless damage.

That said, I don't think we're super competitive here or anything, and I don't think that we should necessarily ban any gems from our standard play. They become less of a liability the better defense you have as a player. Instead of it eating all of you and your partner's meter over and over, it occasionally saves your ass from a mix-up that would have led to 50% damage... I think that these gems should have cost at least a meter to activate.

Thread title update :lol:.

GGs last night everyone! Taking a new character application now! Sticking with Gief for sure. I might go with Guardian's advice & try Marduk with Gief. I didn't want to since it's team Mike Ross, but he does hit pretty hard which is nice...

I know this may not be the best place to post this, but I thought you'd be the most knowledgeable people to ask on CAG. I'm looking to get out of fighting games and sell my games and fightstick (I just can't devote the time to get good, or keep up with all the title updates). I have a first run, MadCatz Tournament Edition fightstick for X360. It's in really good shape, with all the fancy packaging in pristine condition. Does anybody have a feel if $150 would be a fair price?

[quote name='fatboyjam']I know this may not be the best place to post this, but I thought you'd be the most knowledgeable people to ask on CAG. I'm looking to get out of fighting games and sell my games and fightstick (I just can't devote the time to get good, or keep up with all the title updates). I have a first run, MadCatz Tournament Edition fightstick for X360. It's in really good shape, with all the fancy packaging in pristine condition. Does anybody have a feel if $150 would be a fair price?[/QUOTE]

Sounds about right. I wouldn't take less than $130. You can always check completed listings on Ebay to get an idea.

[quote name='fatboyjam']I know this may not be the best place to post this, but I thought you'd be the most knowledgeable people to ask on CAG. I'm looking to get out of fighting games and sell my games and fightstick (I just can't devote the time to get good, or keep up with all the title updates). I have a first run, MadCatz Tournament Edition fightstick for X360. It's in really good shape, with all the fancy packaging in pristine condition. Does anybody have a feel if $150 would be a fair price?[/QUOTE]

It's possible you might be able to get that for it depending on the condition. A few months ago when the sticks were running dry, used models similar to what you have were getting $150+. The only problem now is the newer design of the TE sticks (the "PRO" model) goes for about $160 brand new. I've seen some TEs sell in Orlando within the fighting game community within the last couple of months for between $100-130.

Sad to see you go, but best of luck selling the stick! I'm sure we'll still play other games.

F1ngers of Fury, MtlTom, Kensei, thanks for your input. I sold it for $170, including a couple older fighting games, to someone on craigslist. Their response came so quickly, I was second guessing that I underpriced it.

Thanks for having me in the group and, MtlTom, thanks for managing it. I hope to jump back in down the road when I've got more time and money on my hands (maybe when BlazBlue 2 is out).

[quote name='NoelVermillion']can i get into this list also?

If so:
I have :
SSF-4
MVC-3
KOF-13
KOF-2002UM
SF:3rd Impact
[/QUOTE]
Sure, just add your info to the list. It's a Google Spreadsheet.

So what are we playing this week guys?

[quote name='MtlTom']Sure, just add your info to the list. It's a Google Spreadsheet.

So what are we playing this week guys?[/QUOTE]

Gotta skip tomorrow night. I'll catch you guys next week!

So I was looking at a list of Rumored XBLA games for this year and well I came across some interesting ones.

One of them is a Double Dragon remake, which is being done by wayforward, hopefully it plays better than it looks.

tba-double-dragon-neon-20120403044154613_640w.jpg

Dungeon fighter live - An MMORPG 2D Brawler

Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown

WWE Wrestlefest

and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure HD

We'll probably know more on JoJo's after the 10th

bread's done
Back