CAG Fundraiser for Japan Earthquake & Tsunami Relief - $24,000+ Raised!

Yeah I'm not a big fan of the Red Cross. I won't share my reasons as I don't want to start a debate, but I'd prefer to donate to a different organization. Still, a great cause and I'm happy that you've already raised 10k!

Who says that Global Giving is donating this money to the Red Cross?? On the site it reads:

"GlobalGiving is working with International Medical Corps, Save the Children, and other organizations on the ground." NO mention of the Red Cross. For all we know, the orgs mentioned are not in debt, and do not help the Taliban.

Some elements of Japan may not want our help because they are a stoic, proud culture as a whole. But that doesn't mean they don't need our help. This disaster is much bigger than even Japan was really prepared for.

Also, that article seems like it was written by someone who was upset that a democratic, industrialized, first world nation was receiving assistance instead of their pet projects in Africa or who knows where.

We can't rely on the wealthy in Japan to help their hurting during this, just like we can't rely on billionaires in the US to solve the homeless problem. And governments don't solve problems, they subsidize them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on meeting our goal in just 2 days! I'm very proud of you guys!

I'm currently in a nice hotel in Osaka. Looking forward to a relaxing and fun long weekend.

Didn't know CAG had something going on, or I'd have added to the list. My wife and I donated $100 through other channels. Glad to hear you and your family are okay.

Congrats Cheapy! CAG is a great community. I definitely want to donate, but I would like to maximize my donation with a matching offer, now that you've maxed out your (VERY generous) offer. Do you or any other CAGs know of anywhere else that is matching donations?

Maybe I'll check at work...

[quote name='teknikalei']Congrats Cheapy! CAG is a great community. I definitely want to donate, but I would like to maximize my donation with a matching offer, now that you've maxed out your (VERY generous) offer. Do you or any other CAGs know of anywhere else that is matching donations?

Maybe I'll check at work...[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat, if anyone finds a place that is still matching donations please post.

Thank you for posting the links on matching funds. I love how CAGs are not just smart shoppers but smart givers, trying to maximize the impact of our money. Good stuff!

Already made a donation with my phone carrier, but since this is CAG, I had to make one as a fellow gamer as well.. Glad to know that my fellow gamers are helping.

[quote name='ElektroDragon']Who said this Global Giving is donating this money to the Red Cross?? On the site it reads:

"GlobalGiving is working with International Medical Corps, Save the Children, and other organizations on the ground." NO mention of the Red Cross. For all we know, the orgs mentioned are not in debt, and do not help the Taliban.

Some elements of Japan may not want our help because they are a stoic, proud culture as a whole. But that doesn't mean they don't need our help. This disaster is much bigger than even Japan was really prepared for.

Also, that article seems like it was written by someone who was upset that a democratic, industrialized, first world nation was receiving assistance instead of their pet projects in Africa or who knows where.

We can't rely on the wealthy in Japan to help their hurting during this, just like we can't rely on billionaires in the US to solve the homeless problem. And governments don't solve problems, they subsidize them.[/QUOTE]
Yep, Global Giving sent out an email that explained its distribution process (they raised 750k!) 250 is going to Japan Platform, and 100k is going to Peace Winds, Save the Children, Architecture for Humanity, and International Medical Corps. 75k for Lifeline Energy. So definitely no Red Cross mentioned.

After hearing and reading so many reports about how poorly Sept 11th donations were handled, I would prefer to not hand money over to the American Red Cross. Google has a link where you can donate to the Japanese Red Cross but I wonder if that's any better. http://www.google.com/crisisresponse/japanquake2011.html

Japan has influenced my life so much and I want to help but it's so hard to know who to send money to that will use the money right.

I'm with hzr on this one. I want to give but with so many organizations out there, I want peace of mind knowing money will go to the right place.

That being said, Cheapy saved me $10 right away with that LivingSocial Amazon promotion at the start of 2011 so it was only right that I donate the $10 to this cause. I will probably donate more next week when my next paycheck arrives.

I didn't see any mention of it, but the Playstation Network has a promotion with the Japanese Red Cross where you will get an exclusive theme when you make a donation. Funds range from $2 to $50.

I'm just wondering but are there any businesses besides Aksys participating in giving the proceeds of what they sell to disaster relief for a time?
What about Amazon Of Japan, HMV Japan or others? Borders or Barnes and Nobles as well on Japanese textbooks, grammar books, Kanji learning, etc.?

I just got some...somewhat disturbing information from a family member and I am wondering if there is any validity to it.

We all know about the nuclear reactor issue in Japan and my mother told me that they may need to evacuate the entire country of Japan? I dunno this sounds...rather severe drastic but I do not know much about the fallout range for this kind of event. Does anyone here know anything about what she is referring to? Is she accurate or misunderstanding the information shes heard?

Thank you.

[quote name='ElektroDragon']Don't get your politics involved in this. Fox News has been pointing people to the American Red Cross and other orgs to donate just like everyone else. Their coverage has been excellent.

This crosses political boundaries. I know that both ultra liberal progressives and tea party conservatives and libertarians, they are ALL donating to this cause.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% and it made me sick when I read ElektroDragon's post. I watch fox news and they have been covering the aftermath of the tsunami very well. They have also been pointing people to the right places to donate so as the japanese actually get the largest part of the donation.

I like how when you donate, the pic in the original post gets updated with a new total...
:bouncy:
funnny how such simple things can be so amusing (to me anyway)...

[quote name='ps2emotions']I agree 100% and it made me sick when I read ElektroDragon's post. I watch fox news and they have been covering the aftermath of the tsunami very well. They have also been pointing people to the right places to donate so as the japanese actually get the largest part of the donation.[/QUOTE]

Watching any cable news program is bad for your health... but we're not here to talk about that.

Congrats on the amazing total of contributions!

bread's done
Back