CAG Gran Turismo 5 [CAG Race Night - Now Sundays at 6PM PST!]

[quote name='smthng']Figured I'd whip this list up for future reference when Mad calls another K-car race... All official Kei cars:

• Daihatsu Copen Active Top '02
  • Daihatsu Copen Detachable Top '02
  • Daihatsu Cuore TR-XX Avanzato R (J) '97
  • Daihatsu Midget II D type '98
  • Daihatsu MIRA TR-XX Avanzato R '97
  • Daihatsu MOVE Custom RS Limited '02
  • Daihatsu MOVE CX '95
  • Daihatsu MOVE SR-XX 2WD '97
  • Daihatsu MOVE SR-XX 4WD '97
  • Daihatsu OFC-1 Concept '07
  • Honda BEAT '91
  • Honda BEAT Version F '92
  • Honda BEAT Version Z '93
  • Honda LIFE STEP VAN '72
  • Honda N360 '67
  • Honda TODAY G '85
  • Honda Z ACT '70
  • Mazda Autozam AZ-1 '92
  • Mazda Carol 360 Deluxe '72
  • Mitsubishi i-MiEV '09
  • Mitsubishi MINICA DANGAN ZZ '89
  • Subaru SUBARU 360 '58
  • Suzuki ALTO LAPIN Turbo '02
  • Suzuki ALTO WORKS RS-Z '97
  • Suzuki Cappuccino (EA21R) '95
  • Suzuki Cappuccino (EA21R) RM '95
  • Suzuki Cappuccion (EA1R) '91
  • Suzuki CERVO SR '07
  • Suzuki Kei WORKS '02
  • Suzuki MR Wagon Sport '04
  • Suzuki WAGON R RR '98
  • Suzuku ALTO WORKS SUZUKI SPORT LIMITED '97
[/QUOTE]

It should be called the Suzuki Cappuccino (EA21R) RM '95 race since any other car will be pointless. More interesting race could be Fiat 500 race (not including the new 500).

[quote name='laaj']It should be called the Suzuki Cappuccino (EA21R) RM '95 race since any other car will be pointless. More interesting race could be Fiat 500 race (not including the new 500).[/QUOTE]

You sure about that? I have the Capp' RM and I can pick at least 5 other cars in that list that'll beat the snot out of it depending on the track.

[quote name='bearhawk72']I probably will start looking at other cars. I think the best I got the GT Citroen racecar was 627pp. There aren't many options available to add to that car. I didn't touch the transmission so I don't know what I can get out of it.[/quote]

I dig the Citroen, it's a pretty sweet car. I'll probably try that fairly soon. Even if you can't boost it to the 635 (which would surprise me), you can spend the extra on downforce using the aero. That'll at least get you through the chicanes a fair bit quicker. I'll see what I can tune up for that one and let you know.

[quote name='smthng']You sure about that? I have the Capp' RM and I can pick at least 5 other cars in that list that'll beat the snot out of it depending on the track.

I dig the Citroen, it's a pretty sweet car. I'll probably try that fairly soon. Even if you can't boost it to the 635 (which would surprise me), you can spend the extra on downforce using the aero. That'll at least get you through the chicanes a fair bit quicker. I'll see what I can tune up for that one and let you know.[/QUOTE]
I didn't really try much with it. Threw some slicks on it, I think added a turbo and went out on the track. I'll mess around with it some more.

As we learned with Suzuka, what may be a great, competitive race on High Speed Ring won't necessarily work on other tracks. The big thing with HSR is that it has 3 long stretches, followed by some fairly tight/low-banking turns. So those with the horsepower pull away, but by the find turn everyone is usually caught up.

That said, for the 635PP races, here are some track suggestions. These were pulled directly from the GT website, no testing or lap times what-so-ever:

• Nürburgring GP/D [2.26 miles, 12 corners]
  • Suzuka Circuit East Course [1.39 miles, 9 corners]
  • Indy Road Course [2.61 miles, 13 corners]
  • Cape Ring South [2.01 miles, 12 corners] - could also try Inside, North, and Outside
  • Deep Forest [2.24 miles, 15 corners]
  • Tokyo R246 [3.18 miles, 15 corners]
  • Special Stage Route 5 Night [2.35 miles, 16 corners]

EDIT: do Sunday's still work for most of us? If so, lets change the thread title to "Sundays at 6PM PST". This would give anyone looking to join a solid day to come out and play. Of course, I'm still open to other nights throughout the week, but Sunday's best for us as a whole it seems.

I got the Citroen to 635 by messing with the aerodynamics. I find it kills on courses with a lot of turning but doesn't have the speed to run down the cars you guys are using in straights

[quote name='bearhawk72']I got the Citroen to 635 by messing with the aerodynamics. I find it kills on courses with a lot of turning but doesn't have the speed to run down the cars you guys are using in straights[/QUOTE]

Same as the Calsonic. For the hell of it, let's get some lap times posted, just to see where everyone is at...

High Speed Ring 635PP
Ford GT '06 Stage 3, 635pp - 58:144 [SynGamer]
Calsonic, 635PP - 58:276 [SynGamer]
Ford GT '06 Stage 2, 635pp - 58:2xx [smthng]
GT by Citroen Racecar, 635PP - 58:296 [bearhawk72]
Ford GT '06, 635pp - 1:00.104 [smthng]
Mazda Furai Concept '08, 635pp - 1:00.238 [smthng]
Cadillac CIEN Concept '02, 635pp - 1:00.549 [smthng]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SynGamer']
EDIT: do Sunday's still work for most of us? If so, lets change the thread title to "Sundays at 6PM PST".[/QUOTE]

Done.

Been busy studying for the LSAT, so gaming is limited to short gaming bursts. After June 6th I'll be OPEN and free from studying until I hopefully get into a school.

Also, thanks for all the monies :)

High Speed Ring
GT by Citroen Racecar, 635 pp
Unofficially 58.296 (practice mode is anal about DQing laps. All I did was get 2 tires on the rumble strip at the end of the first turn you brake on)

Officially 58.431

[quote name='bearhawk72']High Speed Ring
GT by Citroen Racecar, 635 pp
Unofficially 58.296 (practice mode is anal about DQing laps. All I did was get 2 tires on the rumble strip at the end of the first turn you brake on)

Officially 58.431[/QUOTE]

Added to my post above. I also updated my time, it was a 58:4xx, not :2xx. Fixed :)

High Speed Ring
Lambo LP 670-4 Superveloce, 635pp - 1:00.058
Ford GT '06, 635pp - 1:00.104
Mazda Furai Concept '08, 635pp - 1:00.238
Cadillac CIEN Concept '02, 635pp - 1:00.549

Better driving could probably drop each of those by two seconds.... these are practice times only, I know I've cracked 58 in the GT during an actual race.

The thing to keep in mind about times during the race is the draft is in effect. During practice there is no draft. I think anyone in the 1:00:00 range should be fine, even 1:01:00 if you have a high HP car.

EDIT: added your times to the list

Just ran a 58:276 in practice in the Calsonic. Going to (finally) look at some suspension settings and see if I can gain some time there.

Just turned about 45 laps in the Ford GT '06 with smthng and man that car is fast. Was able to squeak out a 58:144, but easily have another .3-.4 in the car if I can hit the last turn right. And that doesn't take into account any suspension tweaking :D

Ford GT '06 with Stage 2 engine tuning and no aero - 58.2xx

I spec'd the stage 2 and aero because Syn was running the same car but with stage 3 and aero. On an average lap, he was probably .2 seconds faster than me with that config, but I know he's still got an extra 0.3 - 0.4 seconds in there somewhere with that setup. I'm going to buy another with the stage 3 and aero and see if I can top my 58.2xx. Judging by the lines and exit speeds that Syn was carrying coming out of the corners, it's possible that both Syn and I can crack 57 seconds. :p

Thanks Syn, great practice... If I can manage your line in the first major corner I'm sure I can pick up quite a bit.

This thread is now a wiki. Posted up the lap times on the high speed ring as well.

I'll try to get my time in there when I can, been busy though. Less than 2 weeks left and it is an all out grind right now for me.

[quote name='j-cart']This thread is now a wiki.[/QUOTE]

Umm... what does that mean? Were you being sarcastic?

I'm not trying to be obnoxious... it would be cool if it was wiki'ish for editing results and such, but I have no clue how to do that here.

[quote name='smthng']Umm... what does that mean? Were you being sarcastic?

I'm not trying to be obnoxious... it would be cool if it was wiki'ish for editing results and such, but I have no clue how to do that here.[/QUOTE]
Anyone can edit the first post of the thread. Click on the link in the yellow banner on page 1 and you can edit it.

Anyone up for a race tonight? I know it's not the official night, but I'll be there if anyone wants to join. 9:30 EST. Since it's not our regular race, I'm taking some liberties... ;)

Cart Blanche - 4 Laps - London Mini - Go Karts - I can't force it, but you should be in cockpit view only.
Konnichiwa - 3 laps - Tokyo R246 Reverse - HKS CT230R '08
Dragging it out - 1 or 2 laps (TBD via voice chat) - Special Stage 7 (sunny) - 635pp

The first two are recommended/locked, so there's nothing to buy or tune there.

The last one is pretty much a 14 mile drag race with a couple of nasty turn-arounds at either end of the track. 635 performance points, whatever you want to bring. Boost will be high on all tracks (the further you are from the lead, the more grip and power your car gets), but if you hit the rev limiter there's nothing that will help you. It's all about the draft and making up time in the u-turns if you can. We'll decide online if anyone is up for two laps or if we just want to make it one (it's generally about 4:30 for a clean lap). Don't forget to put your racing soft tires on. ;)

I officially will not be around this weekend. I have 5 calls set up for tomorrow and my email is down so I can't even begin to review where the hell they are between NY and NJ aside from me having two in the Monroe/Englishtown area and at least one in Staten Island.

[quote name='smthng']Anyone up for a race tonight? I know it's not the official night, but I'll be there if anyone wants to join. 9:30 EST. Since it's not our regular race, I'm taking some liberties... ;)

Cart Blanche - 4 Laps - London Mini - Go Karts - I can't force it, but you should be in cockpit view only.
Konnichiwa - 3 laps - Tokyo R246 Reverse - HKS CT230R '08
Dragging it out - 1 or 2 laps (TBD via voice chat) - Special Stage 7 (sunny) - 635pp

The first two are recommended/locked, so there's nothing to buy or tune there.

The last one is pretty much a 14 mile drag race with a couple of nasty turn-arounds at either end of the track. 635 performance points, whatever you want to bring. Boost will be high on all tracks (the further you are from the lead, the more grip and power your car gets), but if you hit the rev limiter there's nothing that will help you. It's all about the draft and making up time in the u-turns if you can. We'll decide online if anyone is up for two laps or if we just want to make it one (it's generally about 4:30 for a clean lap). Don't forget to put your racing soft tires on. ;)[/QUOTE]
Hmm...I'll need a faster car than the GT Citroen for Special Route 7

[quote name='bearhawk72']Hmm...I'll need a faster car than the GT Citroen for Special Route 7[/QUOTE]

Maybe not... Aero is just about useless on that track. Crank it way down to lower your performance points. Boost the power as much as you can to get them back. The rest is all about getting the transmission set right. Try it before sinking money into another ride. Besides, if we all wipe out on the nasty hairpin, it's anyone's race anyhow. ;)

I take that back... I won't say it'll be impossible to win with the GT, but it'll be hard. There's just no way to get the top end needed for that track that I can see. As a ballpark, you're probably looking for something that will hit 230mph on the straight. Of course, I'm going to totally eat it in the corner, so being a little slower might not be a bad thing. ;)

Edit: 230mph is damned hard to hit... 220-225 is perfectly reasonable.

[quote name='smthng']I take that back... I won't say it'll be impossible to win with the GT, but it'll be hard. There's just no way to get the top end needed for that track that I can see. As a ballpark, you're probably looking for something that will hit 230mph on the straight. Of course, I'm going to totally eat it in the corner, so being a little slower might not be a bad thing. ;)

Edit: 230mph is damned hard to hit... 220-225 is perfectly reasonable.[/QUOTE]
Hmm

NASCARS can hit that but it'll suck in the turns

topped out at 223 but takes a long time to get there

Good times!

London Kart race - smthng
HKS Tokyo race - Bearhawk 72
635 Stage 7 race - smthng in a Ford GT '06
Extra 550 Autumn Ring race - Natural_Defect in a Chevrolet Camaro SS '10

We started with Bear, Natty and myself in London. Natty dropped and I managed to beat Bear by less than a tenth.

The HKS race was just Bear and me and it pretty much sucked. The cars simply wouldn't turn... Bad call on my part. I remember them being a LOT more fun last time we ran them. It was terrible. Bear smoked me.

Natural_Defect and DCstarClassic joined us for the 635 race, which was hella fun! Nat was in a Veyron, DC pulled out a Viper SRT10, Bear ran a '66 Jag XJ13 and I was in my Ford GT. I think I had a bit more power off the line than everyone else, while Nat's Veyron probably had the top speed over me by maybe 1 or 2 mph. The Viper and XJ did quite admirable as well. I think we each held first and last positions at some point during the two lap race. On the straights we were normally all bunched up and rarely more than two car lengths from the person in front and behind. I was a little concerned about having the boost on High, but it worked out great. Even after spinning out, the rear players were usually able to catch back up on a track this long (but it did take a while). All the cars were battered and bruised and it was anyone's race until the finish. This was probably the highlight of the night for me. I pulled off the win by about half a second.

We decided to run one more race and picked Autumn Ring with 550PP cars. I brought out a Subaru, Natural_Defect whipped out the Camaro SS (which I thought would be way too heavy), Bear had an Audi (R8 I think) and DCstar ran an NSX. It was good racing all the way through, but Natural pulled ahead on the last lap with the Camaro. DCstar whipped by me on the last turn and Bear followed closely in the rear.

Thanks for a good night of impromptu racing! :)

That kart race was so close. You drafted me at the end and I slightly hit a curb giving you just enough to squeak out the victory.

I can't take the final corner on London as wide as I want because it seems there is an abrupt change in track composition that always causes me to spin out.

The XJ can do about 221mph and stay there without the rev limiter kicking in. My main problem was I could draft up to about 231mph then the rev limiter kicked in.

The last race I really didn't have a car I really wanted to use so I used the Audi and started drifting around turns for the heck of it. It was working out fairly well until I overdid it and spun.

Good races indeed. I'm just glad I tweaked the down force and shifted the ballast more to the front on that NSX Type R or I would have ended up like I did with the Viper. Had a lot of fun. Everything was pretty fair overall with some fumbles here and there but I had a good laugh. :)

Next time I'll save the replays and post some pictures.

[quote name='GTmaster39']Next time I'll save the replays and post some pictures.[/QUOTE]

You mean something like this? :)

SSR7_2.jpg

Got to see some fireworks on SSR7...

SSR7_1.jpg

Autumn Ring... Nat's Camaro was looking pretty rough by the end of this.

AutumnRing_1.jpg

AutumnRing_2.jpg

I should be home for some races tomorrow (Sunday) night...are we still up for a traditional game night? I'd really love to race with 5-6 people again.

Sorry I missed the first two races, my Comcast quit on me for about ten minutes for some unknown reason. The last two races were fun though.

I was surprised at how well the Camaro handled on Autumn Ring. It was the only car I had that was speced out to 550pp. There was supposed to be an official 550pp muscle car race that never happened a few months ago, so it was good to get some use out of it.

GT5 really needs to allow you to buy upgrade parts while in online lobbies. It sucks you have to back out and go through all those loading screens just because your car doesn't have racing softs, or you need a part to go up to the PP limit of the race.

Too band there isn't a picture of the 3 wide chicane run. That'd make a sweet picture

[quote name='bearhawk72']Too band there isn't a picture of the 3 wide chicane run. That'd make a sweet picture[/QUOTE]

I know... I really regret not thinking to save that one. It was awesome sauce!

Do we have a track and car list for tonight? Who's setting this up?

I think HSR, 635PP is a staple for tonight. Everything else...no idea. I'm up for whatever you guys raced the other night, sounds like it was fun.

I'm cool with that... How's the following lineup look?

London Reverse - 3 laps - karts
Tokyo Reverse - 2 laps - Any recommended WRC car - the HKS was TERRIBLE.
High Speed Ring - 3 laps - 635pp
If anyone is up for it after that, Special Stage Route 7 - 2 laps - 635pp - Boost on high.

I know it's a little longer than usual and we don't have to do SSR7 if peeps want to bail, but I had a blast on that. Of course, I'm open to suggestions or corrections on any of above (but Syn in a Calsonic on Tokyo wouldn't be right). :p

Are we racing yet? I know I'm a little late but I can't seem to find anyone racing right now. Everyones lounge is empty.

The computer problem that I had to fix for the certain someone in my house was a simple case of not using the right password for the wireless router. Would have liked to have finished the rest of the races with you guys. Oh well. I had fun. :)

Great races! 250 mph insanity:

SSR7_110529_1.jpg

[quote name='GTmaster39']Would have liked to have finished the rest of the races with you guys. Oh well. I had fun. :)[/QUOTE]

You didn't miss much after that, we just ran a couple of Eiger Short Track races with Lotuses.

Side note: thanks to smthng's advice I picked up the Sony Surround Sound System for the PS3 for $79.99 at Best Buy. Haven't had a chance to try it out but it should be better than my TV speakers :p

bread's done
Back