CAG Gran Turismo 5 [CAG Race Night - Now Sundays at 6PM PST!]

[quote name='6er']There is no one in smthng room, its on Autumn ring. This game is.a freaking mess. PD should be ashamed of themselves. Its been one failure after another since release[/QUOTE]

Did you restart your PS3? There are 5 of us in here...we even changed hosts just to make sure.

EDIT: you're clicking on the Yellow icon on Smthng or myself right? "Playing"...

[quote name='6er']Bailed out early, just not having fun[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that Agent. I'll try to have the race line-up posted by Wed. if at all possible, that way people can tune and practice.

For the 575, I apologize for being all over the road to whomever was around me. Having done no real tracking with the car, I didn't set up that or any other car since last week. Natty, sorry you had to suffer behind me for so long, you were a gentleman about it.

smthng, sorry if I bumped you around in the GT500 race, I pulled the headset because I couldn't concentrate and didn't bother trying to put it back in.

Lots and lots of dive bombing. It seems like fair passes are getting harder and harder to make, penalties wouldn't be such a terrible idea again considering some of the hits and how scattered our lines are becoming when mixing FR and MR cars.

Should not have won the NASCAR race, I think Syn sandbagged. ;)

On a completely unrelated note... I need to figure out what firmware I was trying to use with my HDD back when I was trying to swap it. There was a corrupting firmware shitstorm and I may still have a viable HDD that's usable before I try the warranty route.

[quote name='Mad39er']For the 575, I apologize for being all over the road to whomever was around me. Having done no real tracking with the car, I didn't set up that or any other car since last week. Natty, sorry you had to suffer behind me for so long, you were a gentleman about it.

[/QUOTE]

No problem Mad. I would like to apologize to a certain someone that I put into the wall in Rome:dunce:. We need a rematch next week.

agent dude, sounded like you had connection issues with the way your mic kept cutting out. I know PS3s and cable don't get along but there's a crap ton of ports to forward on the PS3 side if you haven't done it already. That or DMZ the PS3, I found DMZing the PS3 the best you can do.

Proposed race line-up for next week (as always we're open for suggestions!):

"Rockin the bus" STOCK '62 VW Typ2 Sambabus w/Comfort Medium on Tokyo Rt 246 - 3 laps (bone stock this time)
475PP ANYTHING w/Racing Soft on Rome - 5 laps (no RMs, no power limiting more than 75%)
560PP Caterham w/Racing Hard on Eiger Short - 5 laps
575PP ANYTHING w/Racing Soft on Trial Spa - 3 laps (no RMs, no power limiting more than 75%)
"LeMans vs GT's" 725PP Le Mans Race Cars vs 625PP GT Race Cars w/Racing Soft on Daytona - 10 laps (would like an even split...)

For the Spa race, I'll be racing in the GT class. If others would like to chime in on what class they'd prefer, I'd like to have this setup by Friday at the latest.

Also, as Bear mentioned on the previous page, GTPlanet is reporting ANYONE can race on Spa (DLC) so long as the host has it, so Spa shouldn't be an issue for anyone :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='smthng']A 100 point split on LM v GT? That seems harsh.

Could you define GT? For me, that means Ford. :)[/QUOTE]
Think 24 hours at Daytona ;) So an Audi Team PlayStation would be Le Mans, and I'm at work so I can't remember the exact BMW models for the GT class.

So since I have no clue what Le Mans and GT cars are I looked it up

Le Mans Prototypes
S Audi R8 Race Car ‘01
S Audi R8 Race Car (Audi PlayStation Team ORECA) ‘05
P Audi R10 TDI Race Car ‘06
S Bentley Speed 8 Race Car ‘03
S BMW V12 LMR Race Car ‘99
S Pescarolo Sport Courage C60 – Peugeot Race Car ‘03
S Pescarolo Sport Pescarolo C60 Hybride – Judd Race car ‘05
S Pescarolo Sport Pescarolo-Courage – Judd GV5 Race Car ‘04
P Peugeot 908 HDi FAP – Team Oreca Matmut ‘10
P Peugeot 908 HDi FAP – Team Peugeot Total ‘10
S Toyota GT-ONE Race Car (TS020) ‘99

Group C
S Jaguar XJR-9 LM Race Car ‘88
P/S Mazda 787B Race car ‘91
S Mercedes-Benz Sauber Mercedes C9 Race Car ‘89
S Nissan R89C Race Car ‘89
S Nissan R92CP Race Car ‘92
S Peugeot 905 Race Car ‘92
S Toyota MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V Race Car ‘89

I assume GT cars are the ones with the GT in their names(probably wrong though)

LeMans and GT is a pretty vague definition to use. By LeMan, I think what they might actually be referring to are the LMP cars, which are what Bearhawk has listed. GT in real life can actually be almost any of the road cars in the game as it just refers to the body style, with the different racing divisions such as the FIA's GT1 series being based on weight and power.

It might be easier for people just to list what they want to run. I was planning on running the Chaparral 2D as my GT entry.

I thought GT and LM cars had to be at least based on a real production vehicle. I don't the Chaparral fits that. Of course, I could be wrong. We've been through this argument before... what's a GT, Super GT, JGT, LM, etc. Unless someone can give us a clearer definition, I'd like to see everyone who's planning on racing post up a car choice fairly quickly. I don't want to be picking a Supra or something and find out 3 minutes before we start that I should have snagged a Formula or smthng. I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea.

BTW... the DLC is available. Snagging now.

Update, you might want to wait a few hours for DLC... it appears to be fairly badly glitched. I was charged, but it didn't DL and doesn't show up in GT. Working on recovering the transaction now.

Update: Confirmed, it's hugely glitched. Lots of complaints in PS Store Update blog post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be rolling with this:

S Pescarolo Sport Pescarolo C60 Hybride – Judd Race car ‘05

edit:Shared 3 other LMP's from the list I found online if someone needs to use one.

[quote name='smthng']Update, you might want to wait a few hours for DLC... it appears to be fairly badly glitched. I was charged, but it didn't DL and doesn't show up in GT. Working on recovering the transaction now.

Update: Confirmed, it's hugely glitched. Lots of complaints in PS Store Update blog post.[/QUOTE]
GT planet says it's fixed and you need to access it through the DLC icon on the main screen of GT5(where you choose the single player/arcade/etc)

I can confirm it's now working... and three bucks cheaper if you're a Plus member. I'm guessing that I'm not going to see that $3 any time soon... I suppose that was my fee for the privilege of being a surprise beta tester for them. Anyway... Spa is pretty cool, but it's probably a bit long for our usual races... and it has LOTS of run-off areas with sand pits. Thankfully, it's one of my favorite tracks on NFS Shift, so I at least know the layout.

That brings me to my real point... It would make a decent endurance track. A couple peeps have vaguely mentioned running an endurance race. I think we should start hammering it out...

• When - What's a decent day and time for this and how long do we want to run?
  • Where - What tracks would work?
  • What - What cars and specs?
  • How - Rules and settings?

I fully suspect it'll take us a few weeks to come to any sort of agreement, but I'd like to give it a shot. I'd really like a full on endurance race for a few hours, even if I lose badly. So, I'll start with my thoughts...

When - I'm fairly flexible during the week (I'm technically unemployed), and fine for weekend evenings. Weekend mornings and afternoons are booked. I was thinking of something that would take roughly two hours. I suspect any more will limit us to two or three racers, which ain't a ton of fun.
Where - No clue yet.
What - Fast, but not ridiculous. Was thinking 600-650 PP range, although 500 might actually be more reasonable depending on the track.
How - Tire wear, fuel consumption, damage and penalties on. Pitting should be necessary and part of your race. I think Boost and slipstream should be high... it won't be enough to make up for someone who's constantly trying to cut corners (penalties), but it may keep someone racing even if they're a lap or two down.

Thoughts?

[quote name='smthng']I thought GT and LM cars had to be at least based on a real production vehicle. I don't the Chaparral fits that. Of course, I could be wrong. We've been through this argument before... what's a GT, Super GT, JGT, LM, etc. Unless someone can give us a clearer definition, I'd like to see everyone who's planning on racing post up a car choice fairly quickly. I don't want to be picking a Supra or something and find out 3 minutes before we start that I should have snagged a Formula or smthng. I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea.

BTW... the DLC is available. Snagging now.[/QUOTE]

Well it has changed over time, as with most classifications.

The GT classification has only been around since the 80s if I recall correctly. Back in the 60s cars were either Sports class or Prototype class. Modern GT1 rules are likely where the Chaparral would fit because its too light to be an LMP. For GT1 rules, it only has to be "based" on a production car, which for the Chaparral was the Chevy Monza of the time. I put "based" in quotations because its a pretty limited requirement and usually just means utilizes a shell and the core of the engine. I think what you are thinking are the GT2 rules, which actually require a production run and is where the cars are only lightly modified from their production versions. At the time, the Chaparral competed against the Ford GT40, whose current iteration the Ford GT, has competed in both GT3 and GT1 classes.

If there are objections, I dont really care what I run. I like the 2D but if its against the spirit of the competition, I can run anything. I also am partial to the Lister Storm, the Gillet Vertigo or the Jagyar XJ220 which are more modern cars that have actually run under the GT classification. Im also okay running an LMP if other racers would rather run the GTs in which case I would run a Pescarolo or the Bentley.

Took yesterday off for BF3 and house of the dead. Sure enough internet and cable both went out around 1pm. TWC won't be here until about 2pm today. Currently using my cellphone to type this. Couldn't get tethering to work. Rather pissed that. Most of my day off was wasted gaming wise...

Gran Turismo 5 is set to receive an update on 27th October – that’s tomorrow – in both Europe and North America. And producer Kaz Yamauchi has been running down the details on Twitter.

As he tends to do, he’s been going through everything one-by-one. Here’s what he had to say:

1. Kart Space I/II of the DLC will become drivable with cars other than Karts in the online lounge and free run of Practice.
  2. Expanded restriction options for cars in the online lounge. Car Restrictions, Performance Points, Power, and Car Model regulations will be possible to set simultaneously.
  3. Fix for issues in: Setting sheets, G25/27, resuming from pits in endurance races, TC car numbers and LSD settings, etc.
There’ll also be several more minor updates, said Yamauchi, but these are the big three.

Source

EDIT: I vote for a Kart Space race this Sunday, perhaps the shorter version with the Karts, and the longer version with a recommended car of some sort?

Its tough to recommend for the Kart Space without being able to run anything yet. I would assume the MkI Mini might be nice or the lightweight Caterhams and Suzuki. In the same line as the Mini, maybe the Marcos or the Alpine A110?

Well, I just purchased the DLC. I might host a room tonight or tomorrow for those who haven't purchased it yet and are unsure if they want it for themselves offline.

[quote name='smthng']I might be able to hop on for half an hour or so once I polish off dinner.[/QUOTE]
E-mail me if you're interested.

I'm gonna skip this weekends races, they seem a bit confusing to me and I really want to test out my wireless headset mo betta with BF3.

[quote name='Mad39er']I'm gonna skip this weekends races, they seem a bit confusing to me and I really want to test out my wireless headset mo betta with BF3.[/QUOTE]

I plan on modifying them slightly now that we know that so long as the host has the DLC, everyone else can use it. I'll be jumping on in a bit if you want to test it out :)

EDIT: Online now.

Patch 2.0.1 is up. It was about a 10 minute download for me. Seems to fix a bunch of minor issues. Hopefully, correctly showing PP in car lists is one of them (descriptions are a little vague).

Syn and I checked out some of the DLC last night. The touring cars in general are pretty sweet, although I thought the NSX was "broken". The others that I've played with so far handle nicely and generally put down enough power to run a decent length track at good speed.

Curcuit de Spa Francorchamps is one of my favorite tracks. The GT5 implementation is one of the best I've seen. Due to the layout of that track, it's probably going to be necessary to run with penalties on. There are a ton of places someone could cut and make up some major time. We ran penalties for a while and they seemed pretty much spot on. You can get tires on the grass without being flagged, minor accidental cuts were ok, but anything that would gain you and advantage would trigger a 5 second. Lap times were 2:20-2:30, depending on the cars. Expect to be racing on this soon. ;)

To further elaborate on the penalties as Smthng mentioned, small "bumps" were generally acceptable, but harsher "collisions" usually resulted in 3-5 second penalties. Also, there are some paved run-off areas on the sweeping turns that will result in a 5 second penalty if you use them and gain time/speed. I ran off on one of them and stayed in the throttle and wheeled the car around the outside of the turn and as slapped with a 5 second penalty. On a similar turn I ran wide but backed off a bit and didn't stay in the throttle the entire time and came back onto the track with no penalty.

Overall, this is a fucking sweet track :D

[quote name='SynGamer']To further elaborate on the penalties as Smthng mentioned, small "bumps" were generally acceptable, but harsher "collisions" usually resulted in 3-5 second penalties. Also, there are some paved run-off areas on the sweeping turns that will result in a 5 second penalty if you use them and gain time/speed. I ran off on one of them and stayed in the throttle and wheeled the car around the outside of the turn and as slapped with a 5 second penalty. On a similar turn I ran wide but backed off a bit and didn't stay in the throttle the entire time and came back onto the track with no penalty.

Overall, this is a fucking sweet track :D[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you pulled a Kimi, I guess Kaz knows his F1. On the penalties note, have you all considered running with damage turned on?

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Sounds like you pulled a Kimi, I guess Kaz knows his F1. On the penalties note, have you all considered running with damage turned on?[/QUOTE]

I'd like to do more testing with damage on weak, as well as penalties on weak. I think both on weak will be just enough reason to avoid dive-bombing and other sorts of shenanigans.

I'll be running some stuff for a bit, just tinkering with new cars and tracks. If anyone feels like joining, just hit my lobby. No idea how long I'll be.

I suggest we replace the Rockin the bus race with:
Kart (standard) on short Kart Space - 7 laps

I was originally thinking of modding the halibut out of the buses... Running them three laps around R246 at stock speeds is going to be PAINFUL. Let's save that for next time and I'll pick a more appropriate track for them.

Also, for Spa,I still don't know what the halibut we're supposed to be racing. Depending on what happens when I do some tuning, I'm probably going to be in an Imprezza super touring car, a Ford GT, or the GTR Touring car. Tell me they fit whatever it is we're trying to do.

Whatever it is, I vote Boost on high, penalties on weak, damage on light, 3 or 4 laps.

BTW...if anyone who doesn't have the DLC wants to practice the tracks, I have no problem leaving my lobby up and on one of the tracks. I just need to know when... But not tonight, I'm headed for sleep and already powered down the PS3.

My lobby is up and running Spa. Feel free to practice... it'll be up until I need the PS3 for smthng else.

[quote name='SynGamer']525PP or 600PP, in my opinion. Those mm-R cup cars were actually pretty sporty and fun.[/QUOTE]

I really love the mmR cars and wouldnt mind racing them on something technical. For Spa, might we try the FGT? Spa is one of the easier courses to run FGT on with the exception of the downhill, low camber hairpin. I imagine we would want to run something quick or you start hitting 3+ lap times.

bread's done
Back