CAG Health and Fitness Thread

I'll be blogging my progress each 1st of the month. See you guys Feb 1st! I hope to inspire some of you. I guarantee some of you will be dropping your jaws at my progress :cool:.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Absolutely true. I've also heard cutting off your hand does wonders for receding hairlines ;)[/QUOTE]

Eh, I dunno. I heard it from 2 different sources (def. doesn't make it true, but thought I'd ask). One of them was saying something about your legs are bigger muscles and the brain sends signals (or something like that, I don't really remember) and that your brain will only send that message out for the biggest muscle. So if your legs are bigger the brain will send out bigger muscle messages. That's not a direct quote, but it was the jest of what he was saying. Again, I'm not backing this, and I was just asking. I'm working my legs because I can tell a difference when playing sports, and hoping it'll help my running.

[quote name='specialk']Eh, I dunno. I heard it from 2 different sources (def. doesn't make it true, but thought I'd ask). One of them was saying something about your legs are bigger muscles and the brain sends signals (or something like that, I don't really remember) and that your brain will only send that message out for the biggest muscle. So if your legs are bigger the brain will send out bigger muscle messages. That's not a direct quote, but it was the jest of what he was saying. Again, I'm not backing this, and I was just asking. I'm working my legs because I can tell a difference when playing sports, and hoping it'll help my running.[/quote]

:D

Overall, it's a good idea to work all your muscle groups to have a balanced muscle structure. Who wants to see a guy with huge arms and chicken legs?

As for the brain method, I'm not entirely sure the brain plays a big role in it. Of course, the brain signals which muscles to fire, but the reparation process is one of a local nature. Your brain doesn't tell a cut to heal, the body's immune system takes care of it. Similarly, cell repair happens on its own, as far as I know.

[quote name='lilboo']Whole grain brown rice is totally win. As long as it's REAL rice. Brown rice is full of B vitamins.[/QUOTE]

Yep, whole grain brown rice is one of the best source of complex carbs you can get.

[quote name='Anexanhume']You guys bring up a good point, and I've always wondered about this. People often say you can't simultaneously put on muscle and lose fat over an extended period of time.

I need to lose about 20 or so pounds of fat. After that, I'd like to continue doing cardio to stay in shape and continue to build muscle. I assume at that point I should be striving to burn all the calories I take in while ensuring I get enough protein for developing muscle mass?[/QUOTE]

It's generally true that you can't lose weight and build muscle at the same time over an extended period. Someone that's very out of shape can for a while since they have little muscle and a lot of fat, but after awhile it's near impossible. That's because you need to eat less calories than you burn to lose weight and eat more calories than you burn to build muscle (that's why body builders do cycles where they put on a lot of muscle and fat and then diet down to lose the fat and keep as much of the muscle as possible before shows.

But you should take in enough protein to help maintain muscle and to build some if you're at the early stage. Once you get your body fat down, you can start eating more calories (have to be clean calories) to try to put on some muscle. The key is to find a balanced diet that lets you slowly put on some muscle without putting on too much fat.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It's generally true that you can't lose weight and build muscle at the same time over an extended period. Someone that's very out of shape can for a while since they have little muscle and a lot of fat, but after awhile it's near impossible. That's because you need to eat less calories than you burn to lose weight and eat more calories than you burn to build muscle (that's why body builders do cycles where they put on a lot of muscle and fat and then diet down to lose the fat and keep as much of the muscle as possible before shows.

But you should take in enough protein to help maintain muscle and to build some if you're at the early stage. Once you get your body fat down, you can start eating more calories (have to be clean calories) to try to put on some muscle. The key is to find a balanced diet that lets you slowly put on some muscle without putting on too much fat.[/quote]

Ok, that explanation makes sense. Sounds like I should find a supplement I like if I'm going to be serious about adding muscle. I'm not so concerned about the "Cutting" phase so long as I can maintain a good level of body fat.

[quote name='specialk']Eh, I dunno. I heard it from 2 different sources (def. doesn't make it true, but thought I'd ask). One of them was saying something about your legs are bigger muscles and the brain sends signals (or something like that, I don't really remember) and that your brain will only send that message out for the biggest muscle. So if your legs are bigger the brain will send out bigger muscle messages. That's not a direct quote, but it was the jest of what he was saying. Again, I'm not backing this, and I was just asking. I'm working my legs because I can tell a difference when playing sports, and hoping it'll help my running.[/quote]

There is truth to this. Since the legs are the largest muscles in the body, when worked they release the largest amount of natural growth hormone to the entire body, which then causes everything else to grow. Given, just by working legs you won't build a full quality physique, but by working legs along with the rest of the body, it is much easier to put on muscle.

For the record, the study I read on leg-exercises said that HEAVY SQUATS AND DEADLIFTS increased serum testosterone levels in trained athletes. That's HEAVY, meaning rep ranges less than 5. Part of the reason leg-exercises are good for overall development is because they're (the good ones) compound lifts. Leg extension doesn't fall into this category at all, and leg-press is not a good substitute for a squat.

And I'm really against any supplementation for people new to lifting. You should have been training for at least 8 months before adding any supplement, or you're just going to be wasting your money. In fact, most supplements are a huge waste of money. The only ones really worth a damn are food-based ones, and stims. Even then taking creatine with a stimulant lowers its efficacy somewhat, and food-based supplements are just that; food. I can't count they guys who come up to me and say something like "Do you take protein", like of course I do, but it's just food. If you're diet is shitty all the powder in the world isn't going to save you. Supplements are called supplements for a reason, they're not supposed to be a crutch/.

I think the only supplements worth they money are Whey protein. It's not a substitute for food sources of protein, but its the best protein source immediately post workout since it's absorbed much quicker than any food protein.

But as Reality's Fringe says, it's a supplement, not a replacement. If you want to build muscle you need to get the majority of your protein from clean foods and also get a lot of complex carbs (whole grains) from clean foods.

But I do think a whey shake post workout is a good idea for anyone, beginner or not. I wouldn't mess with creatine and other supplements right away though--and personally I don't use anything but whey protein. Well aside from vitamins, I take a lot of those.

It's been four days now.

Walk for half a mile(warm up) 10 minutes, run 3 miles it takes about 28-30minutes.

Followed by lifting weights, bench dumbells, push ups, and some other exercises from some cheap weight machine. Total is about 6 different exercises and with 4 sets for each with 10-11 reps each set. I was doing this at night 10PM-12, I'm changing it from 6AM-8AM. I'm planning to do this everyday. Do you guys think this would work to slim down and get toned?
I'm 6'2 and weight 216Ibs.

Oh nice, a new fitness thread.

I started a new running plan this week.

I start off at 5.5 mph and increase my speed .5 mph every 5 minutes. I can get a little over 2 miles in after 20 minutes of running, and it's working as a nice warmup.

I need to get back on my schedule though. My increased work/school hours really made me fall back. I was consistently going 5 days a week, now Im lucky to get 2 days in :/

[quote name='dmaul1114']I think the only supplements worth they money are Whey protein. It's not a substitute for food sources of protein, but its the best protein source immediately post workout since it's absorbed much quicker than any food protein.

But as Reality's Fringe says, it's a supplement, not a replacement. If you want to build muscle you need to get the majority of your protein from clean foods and also get a lot of complex carbs (whole grains) from clean foods.

But I do think a whey shake post workout is a good idea for anyone, beginner or not. I wouldn't mess with creatine and other supplements right away though--and personally I don't use anything but whey protein. Well aside from vitamins, I take a lot of those.[/QUOTE]

I tried creatine and it gave me the runs :/

I don't mind whey at all, but like you said it's not a replacement.

Reality's Fringe;5413576 said:
For the record, the study I read on leg-exercises said that HEAVY SQUATS AND DEADLIFTS increased serum testosterone levels in trained athletes. That's HEAVY, meaning rep ranges less than 5. Part of the reason leg-exercises are good for overall development is because they're (the good ones) compound lifts. Leg extension doesn't fall into this category at all, and leg-press is not a good substitute for a squat.

And I'm really against any supplementation for people new to lifting. You should have been training for at least 8 months before adding any supplement, or you're just going to be wasting your money. In fact, most supplements are a huge waste of money. The only ones really worth a damn are food-based ones, and stims. Even then taking creatine with a stimulant lowers its efficacy somewhat, and food-based supplements are just that; food. I can't count they guys who come up to me and say something like "Do you take protein", like of course I do, but it's just food. If you're diet is shitty all the powder in the world isn't going to save you. Supplements are called supplements for a reason, they're not supposed to be a crutch/.

On leg days would you recommend only doing squats and deadlifts?

I wouldn't, because there are more muscles in the leg that need attention besides doing Squats and DL. Calf Raises and Lunges are good, too.

[quote name='seanr1221']On leg days would you recommend only doing squats and deadlifts?[/QUOTE]

My leg day I do:

Squats
Leg Press (the sled kind, hits the ass and hammy's more than squats I find)
Deadlifts
Seated Calf Raises
Standing Calf Raises

I think that's a pretty good routine, though don't do both Squats and Leg Press starting out or you'll be miserably sore, get used to squats for a few weeks then add in leg presses.

[quote name='seanr1221']On leg days would you recommend only doing squats and deadlifts?[/QUOTE]

I do them on the same day, but I add in auxiliary calf raises and one other skill based exercise. I do this twice a week since I'm on a 4 dayer. Essentially I'll do Squats first to loosen my hips up: so on a heavy day it would be something like

8- 45% 1R max
6-60% 1R max
5-72%""
5-85%""
3-87-90% """

Then I'll do something that involves my shoulders such as Hang cleans or military presses, then come back to deadlifts. Usually some pyramid such as 5, 5, 3, 2, 1. then go about my routine as normal, and add the auxilliary leg work toward the end. If you do this properly, ti will wreck you. And again, this doesn't include the other core muscle groups I work that day (usually something opposing, such as shoulders). Doing them both on the same day conditions your central nervous system.

At the end of the week, I'll do it the same way, but alter the rep scheme and type. for example, squats may become front squats, hack squats, or zercher squats, or may be lighter weight. Deadlifts become Sumo Deadlifts or Rackpulls. I usually also do Stiff led deadlifts or reverse hyper extensions, or pull throughs on days when I do back and chest exercises.

Again, if you're new to lifting, this could seriously hurt you, so be careful. Deadlifts are an exercise that hit your quadriceps, hamstrings, calves, glutes, hip flexors, and back. fucking kingly exercise, but dangerous if done improperly.

I also dislike the 45 degree legpress. It's a very unnatural angle, and if your back comes off the seat, you could end up with a spinal injury. Not to mention it distorts your ability to accurately judge how much weight you can do if you're not familiar with it. My working set with leg-press is 950lbs( horizontal, not 45 degree), but my squat is somewhere around 455lbs. If a person new to lifting tried to squat what they leg-pressed for reps; they'd kill themselves.

I'm trying to save up the cash to buy a pull sled, but I should probably wait until I hit my duty station.

I try to keep my leg training even with everything else. Right now I'm on the Steve Reeves full-body routine where I do 3 sets of 3 exercises for each body part. As far as legs, I'll do 10-12 sets, utilizing back squats, front squats, hack squats and leg curls. The key for the workout though is that you only take 45 seconds to a minute in between every set.

For me legs tend to be the one that gets done most just because its the first day of my four day routine.

I do (in an ideal week):

Monday: Legs
Tuesday: Chest, Triceps, Abs
Thursday: Back, Biceps
Friday: Shoulders, Abs

Shoulders are what get left out most often lately, since I've been swamped and only making it 2-3 days a week most of the time for the past few months.

I need to get back into more weights... my running last year took alot out of me and I lost alot of the gains I made as well... I was still in good shape, but it is very hard for me to gain and keep weight

Add to that Im really not motivated like I was into working out, because Ive spent most days doing so... I did get some really nice runs in on my vacation from the lovely wooded areas of the Woodlands TX... to a real treat, running through the French Quarter one cold morning with my brother for an early jog

But I will always focus primarily on cardio...so many of them meatheads focusing on one thing, bulking up their upper bodies, but many of then probably couldnt run a mile without nearly passing out... 165-170 lbs is what I would LIKE to weigh

I think once I lose some more weight and am able to handle endurance a bit better.. :lol:... I might give running a try. It's hard, though. Asthma = suuuuxor

Man I got a poop question. The reason I started eatin better was because I was eating GARBAGE. Fast Food a few times a week (easily) and just.. other crap for snacks and dinners. Very little to no fruits/veggies..very little fiber. So of course, poopin wasn't so pretty.

So it's been 3 weeks. I don't eat any large amounts of bad fats, any refined sugar..and my sodium intake has been decreased a lot. I am eating fruits/veggies in every meal (and sometimes they ARE the meal)..lots of fiber and good fats (olive oil, avacado, nuts)..so why is mah feces STILL not completely.. acceptable? :lol:

So a few of you said in the other topic with a torn back muscle I shouldn't do anything cept maybe lifting 5 pound weights. Was that JUST for weight lifting or does that mean I shouldn't be using the exercise bike or taking long walks for awhile too? I have been on bed rest for about a week and a half now and while im not feeling 100% my pain is at a 2 vs an 8 so I am hoping I can get some kind of exercise in soon again. I am getting married in 6 months so I really hate to spend a month and a half doing nothing ;)

[quote name='lilboo']I think once I lose some more weight and am able to handle endurance a bit better.. :lol:... I might give running a try. It's hard, though. Asthma = suuuuxor

Man I got a poop question. The reason I started eatin better was because I was eating GARBAGE. Fast Food a few times a week (easily) and just.. other crap for snacks and dinners. Very little to no fruits/veggies..very little fiber. So of course, poopin wasn't so pretty.

So it's been 3 weeks. I don't eat any large amounts of bad fats, any refined sugar..and my sodium intake has been decreased a lot. I am eating fruits/veggies in every meal (and sometimes they ARE the meal)..lots of fiber and good fats (olive oil, avacado, nuts)..so why is mah feces STILL not completely.. acceptable? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Hell my pooping seemed to get WORSE when I started eating better.... Diagnosed with IBS but it's still fucked up. The anatomy of poop is still a mystery to me. Still, keep at eating good food! Even if your bowels hate it, the rest of your body will thank you.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Hell my pooping seemed to get WORSE when I started eating better.... Diagnosed with IBS but it's still fucked up. The anatomy of poop is still a mystery to me. Still, keep at eating good food! Even if your bowels hate it, the rest of your body will thank you.[/QUOTE]

I would think it was from alot of fruit... seems to screw me up... funny thing is, Ill have a bad meal every now and then and everything will be normal

and magnus... I would try to do any type of exercise that doesnt involve those muscles... I would think walks or running would be good... and elliptical too as long as you dont use the handles on the machine. Dont look for an excuse NOT to work out, because it will make it that much harder to start back up if you were to take a month and a half off. Ive had excruciating back pain in the form of disc problems and have gone and did stationary bike for an hour (maybe a little extreme to work out in my condition, but I felt bad just sitting around doing nothing)

[quote name='lilboo']I think once I lose some more weight and am able to handle endurance a bit better.. :lol:... I might give running a try. It's hard, though. Asthma = suuuuxor

So it's been 3 weeks. I don't eat any large amounts of bad fats, any refined sugar..and my sodium intake has been decreased a lot. I am eating fruits/veggies in every meal (and sometimes they ARE the meal)..lots of fiber and good fats (olive oil, avacado, nuts)..so why is mah feces STILL not completely.. acceptable? :lol:[/quote]

Balance is key. If you eat too much fiber without much else, you'll get the runs. 3-4 servings each of fruits and veggies is plenty, and make sure you are drinking plenty of water.

So, I actually have come to realize that I have been over training myself. I was doing a ton of things wrong. I finally admitted up to it last week. I haven't touched weights in about 6 days now. I wanted my muscles to get an good weeks rest.

Tomorrow i'm going on a strick 3 day split workout. I have also started to take Whey Protein ( About 100g a day ) and a multi vitamin every single day.

Here is my workout plan:

Monday Chest and Triceps

Dumbbell Bench Press 4 sets - 12 Reps
Incline Bench Press 2 sets - 12 Reps
Chest Flys 2 Sets - 12 Reps

Tricep Dip's 3 Sets - Failure for Reps
Lying Tricep Extension 3 Sets - 10 Reps
Tricep Kickback 3 Sets - 15 Reps

Wednesday Back and Biceps

Standing Barbell Curl 3 Sets - 10 Reps
Standing Hammer Curl 3 Sets - 10 Reps
Incline Dumbbell Curl 3 Sets - 10 Reps

Seated Row 3 Sets - 12 Reps
One Arm Dumbbell Row 3 Sets - 12 Reps
Bent Over Dumbbell Row 3 Sets - 12 Reps

Friday Legs and Shoulders

Leg Extension 3 Sets - 12 Reps
Squats 4 Sets - 12,10,8,6 Reps
Leg Press 4 Sets - 12,10,10,10 Reps

Military Press 4 Sets - 10 Reps
Seated Dumbbell Press 3 Sets - 10 Reps
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 4 Sets - 10 Reps

Weight will be up in the air for now. I would like to start off lower then usual and build myself up in whats going to be a 8-10 week cycle.

Tuesday and Thurdays will be Rest days as well as Ab workout days
Sat and Sun are strict rest days

Anyone wanna chime in on my plan? Can I do anything else or does this seem good enough for now?

Looks like a solid 3 day routine to me. Only thing I'd tweak is the back excercises.

1. Do back exercises before the bicep ones. Always work the major muscle group first. If your biceps are fried you won't be able to do as much on the heavy back exercises.

2. You need to add either pull ups or pull downs to the back routine. Cut one of the rows. No need to do 3 different types of rowing exercises. You need pull ups or downs to add width. The rows will just add thickness (front to back).

[quote name='dmaul1114']Looks like a solid 3 day routine to me. Only thing I'd tweak is the back excercises.

1. Do back exercises before the bicep ones. Always work the major muscle group first. If your biceps are fried you won't be able to do as much on the heavy back exercises.

2. You need to add either pull ups or pull downs to the back routine. Cut one of the rows. No need to do 3 different types of rowing exercises. You need pull ups or downs to add width. The rows will just add thickness (front to back).[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I was trying to fit an exercise with the equipment I already have. Maybe i'll give one of those Door way pull up bars a try.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Hell my pooping seemed to get WORSE when I started eating better.... Diagnosed with IBS but it's still fucked up. The anatomy of poop is still a mystery to me. Still, keep at eating good food! Even if your bowels hate it, the rest of your body will thank you.[/QUOTE]

I know! I do FEEL well.. just discouraged since poop is supposed to be like "solid and floats" :lol:

[quote name='EDiddy0042']Balance is key. If you eat too much fiber without much else, you'll get the runs. 3-4 servings each of fruits and veggies is plenty, and make sure you are drinking plenty of water.[/QUOTE]

Well I do eat a lot of fiber but i DO drink like 4-5 16.9oz bottles of water a day. Plus a cup of tea or 2. So I def get enough hydration.

I don't even have the runs. It's when I DO go, it's not as solid as it's "supposed" to be. I know it's supposed be "solid, long, and not leave much of a mess"..and I've had like one or 2 of those.. but overall they have been sorta small, not THAT solid (as in a little bit squishy) and leaving more of a mess then it should. :wall:

Hey, this is a HEALTH thread so this talk is OK :lol:

[quote name='lilboo']I know! I do FEEL well.. just discouraged since poop is supposed to be like "solid and floats" :lol:

Well I do eat a lot of fiber but i DO drink like 4-5 16.9oz bottles of water a day. Plus a cup of tea or 2. So I def get enough hydration.

I don't even have the runs. It's when I DO go, it's not as solid as it's "supposed" to be. I know it's supposed be "solid, long, and not leave much of a mess"..and I've had like one or 2 of those.. but overall they have been sorta small, not THAT solid (as in a little bit squishy) and leaving more of a mess then it should. :wall:

Hey, this is a HEALTH thread so this talk is OK :lol:[/QUOTE]

Try cutting out the Tea. Tea usually did that to me. Coffee as well. That shit ( coffeee ) just runs right through you.

I want to stay as low as possible for wrestling season next year, i've been weighing in at 115 consistently but i have to wrestle 119 because i got screwed over at weight certifications. I'am going to try to cut down to 108 and stay around there. I just have a little problem keeping the muscle i have and keeping the weight off

But I don't drink a lot of tea. It's green tea. It's SOMETIMES one small cup in the morning..but I've been juicing for energy in the morning.

I'll have tea maybe 3-4x a week. That can't be considered a lot.

[quote name='lilboo']But I don't drink a lot of tea. It's green tea. It's SOMETIMES one small cup in the morning..but I've been juicing for energy in the morning.

I'll have tea maybe 3-4x a week. That can't be considered a lot.[/QUOTE]

I'd only usually have tea about 1 per day on 5 days of the week. Try cutting it out completely for a week or so and see what it does for you.

I started my weight loss plan back in late Sept 08 and have lost about 20 lbs. I've already hit "Heatlhy" weight for my height, but I'm still pushing myself to go farther and faster when running.

I figure once Valentines day is over the gym should have thinned out enough for me to return and take some classes. People have asked me if I want to run a marathon but I've seen what a runners body looks like, I'd rather go for the overall body tone of a volleyball player or swimmer.

The most awesome thing is when someone sees you and says "Did you lose weight?!". And what is most funny is it is usually guys who say it. I think girls just think it but don't say it. They have to see it since girls I figure pick up on this type of thing.

To any CAG thinking about losing weight, Do it. You'll be so much happier.

[quote name='KingDox']I started my weight loss plan back in late Sept 08 and have lost about 20 lbs. I've already hit "Heatlhy" weight for my height, but I'm still pushing myself to go farther and faster when running.

I figure once Valentines day is over the gym should have thinned out enough for me to return and take some classes. People have asked me if I want to run a marathon but I've seen what a runners body looks like, I'd rather go for the overall body tone of a volleyball player or swimmer.

The most awesome thing is when someone sees you and says "Did you lose weight?!". And what is most funny is it is usually guys who say it. I think girls just think it but don't say it. They have to see it since girls I figure pick up on this type of thing.

To any CAG thinking about losing weight, Do it. You'll be so much happier.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I have never been overweight ( I was under weight though ) but it feels really good to be normal weight.

You can run competitively and keep a good physique, but I would stick to lower mileage runs. I did lose about 5 lbs in my training, although I focused so much on my running endurance. You don't run 15 miles a day for that though, your routine would consist of one long run per week and shorter training runs. I'd recommend trying it once in your life though, very physically demanding, but the euphoria you get when finishing is unreal.

Whelp. My first day of my new workout is done. I warmed up with a 1 mile 6 minute run on my treadmill. Then started my Chest/Tricep workout and boy do I feel great. I feel better then I did when i was working out more frequently. Can't wait for Wednesday's Back and Bicep's workout.

I have been getting that a lot lately. Mainly because my clothes are starting to look too baggy for me :( I had some great looking button shirts but now I will have to give them away when I buy new clothes. The gutt still shows..but I think I have lost about an inch or two off my waist.

I'm progressing in my jogging really well, but it appears I'm getting a blister on the inside of my right foot. I'm not sure if it's related to my shoe or my form, but I hope it doesn't keep me from going.

[quote name='Anexanhume']I'm progressing in my jogging really well, but it appears I'm getting a blister on the inside of my right foot. I'm not sure if it's related to my shoe or my form, but I hope it doesn't keep me from going.[/QUOTE]

My boyfriend says he gets blisters if there are any wrinkles in his socks. Pull them up all the way so they aren't loose on your feet. Also make sure your shoes are tied snugly.

I was thinking of changing my workout routine since I usually only get four days at about 40 minutes per day for working out (sometimes I do a 5th day, but not consistently). Would it be best to spend each day on a certain muscle group? Or is it better to do a full-body on each day? As of late, this has been my routine:

Day 1:
Chest Exercises + Abs/Obliques and Hang Cleans

Day 2:
Biceps Exercises + Abs, Deadlift, and Shoulder Press

Day 3:
Triceps Exercises + Abs/Obliques and Shrugs

Day 4:
Squats and other leg exercises + Pull-ups

So usually it's 4 days working out, then 3 days rest. Would full-body be better than this routine?

[quote name='ricknub']I was thinking of changing my workout routine since I usually only get four days at about 40 minutes per day for working out (sometimes I do a 5th day, but not consistently). Would it be best to spend each day on a certain muscle group? Or is it better to do a full-body on each day? As of late, this has been my routine:

Day 1:
Chest Exercises + Abs/Obliques and Hang Cleans

Day 2:
Biceps Exercises + Abs, Deadlift, and Shoulder Press

Day 3:
Triceps Exercises + Abs/Obliques and Shrugs

Day 4:
Squats and other leg exercises + Pull-ups

So usually it's 4 days working out, then 3 days rest. Would full-body be better than this routine?[/quote]

If you are going to go for a full-body routine, only go 3 days a week or you'll risk overtraining. Or if you want to stick with a split, put triceps in with your chest workout, put back exercises in with the biceps day and do shoulders on leg day. Then on the fourth day, do your abdominal and core training. If you would like, I can draw up a program for you. Just let me know.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']If you are going to go for a full-body routine, only go 3 days a week or you'll risk overtraining. Or if you want to stick with a split, put triceps in with your chest workout, put back exercises in with the biceps day and do shoulders on leg day. Then on the fourth day, do your abdominal and core training. If you would like, I can draw up a program for you. Just let me know.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice! And I'd appreciate it, but I think I have a rough idea of what I'll be doing (If you happen to have a routine just laying around already though, I certainly wouldn't oppose the input!). Just one question though: would doing deadlifts, squats, and hang cleans the same day be good? I feel like that would be a lot of heavy exercises for one day (I usually do one per day, and do the hang cleans twice per week).

I wouldn't reccomend a full body routine. It's ok for beginners but once you get up to working out hard it's difficult to not over train.

Do a 3 or 4 day routine doing a different group of muscles each day.

A good 4 day routine is:

Legs
Chest and Triceps
Back and Biceps
Shoulders

If you want to do a 3 day routine, put shoulders in with the Chest/Tris day as then you have legs and a push day and pull day for upper body.

Do abs whenever--i.e. on the two shortest routines etc.

bread's done
Back