CAG Health and Fitness Thread

[quote name='Lyricsborn']Any tips on burning a stomach bulge? I run 8 miles everyday and have been doing situps for 2 months now but I still have a dough gut. I replaced soda with water for lunch and dinner and drink either juice or milk for breakfast. Breakfast I mostly eat a waffle without butter or syrup, 3 strips of bacon. Lunch is a home made turkey sandwich with mustard on wheat bread. Dinners I'll eat hot dogs, sphagetti, or any stuff I have at home. I don't know if any of that helps.[/QUOTE]

Get rid of grains and dairy. Weight will fall off. Get your carbs from veggies and some fruit.

[quote name='seanr1221']First, congrats on your progress so far. it definitely helps that your wife is supportive. Research in weight loss has shown people with social support have the best results :)

When I first started getting into fitness/lifting, I got a total gym. This was back 7 years or so I think. Stuff like that is ok to start with, but from the sounds of your running stories, you feed off that energy from people around you doing similar things. I know I do. When I see one guy pick up the 50lb dumbells to do curls, and I'm holding 45s, I want to then do 50s. It gets you pumped up, you know? Is a gym in the cards at all for weight lifting?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, there's just no beating a gym IMO. Both the motivation angle, and having access to all that equipment to let you do pretty much any exercise in the books.[/quote]

I guess I never thought of using the gym as a motivation factor. Normally I hate it so I have been afraid it would be the opposite. Maybe I'll just give it a shot for a few weeks and see what happens.

[quote name='sublime 90']i like lifting weights but i dont like gyms because theres either A) pretty boys trying to look hot for women or B) crazy muscle heads with to much testosterone. so when i was working out i just used a pull up bar.....push up bars and dumb bells. i actually have a bench with about 300 pounds of weight but its big and i dont have room for it so instead i bought this Dosho its 500 bucks but i really like it and a pretty good deal considering what you get and its pretty compact. [/quote]

Interesting, thanks for the tip. I think I'm looking for something that I can put away easily though. I like the idea of the bench I posted earlier because I can collapse it and slide it under the bed when I'm done. That Dosho isn't too bad though, so I may have to look at things like that and see if it's feasible.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']If you have a Crossfit gym in your area, you should check it out. I've bee doing it for about a year and it's awesome, especially if you have a competitive spirit. [/quote]

I actually do have a gym membership already, but I'll have to look into this more next year when it's close to expiring. It looks like there are a few in my area.

Yesterday was the first day I did cardio after weight lifting. Wow. I'm sore in ways I haven't been for a while, and much earlier than usual (DOMS typically sets in about 24 hours later). This was probably just the thing my somewhat stagnant workout needed.

On a related note, I'm going to buy a power tower soon. I'm ashamed to admit that I've never done pull-ups, just dumbbell rows. Looking forward to hitting the lats properly.

@blindinglights

Disagreeing does not equate to one person being right and the other wrong, it means we have a difference in opinion.
but I'm not sure how that equates to making "nutrition is arguably more important than exercise" a bad statement?”
Look back at my post, I never said that my fellow CAG ;)

You give pretty sound advice, one of the few I've read in this thread, but I'm just trying to point out what several people are overlooking. Even you said you went through a "nutrition learning binge and revamped [your] diet". By doing what? Changing your eating habits/behavior.

Before, several food guidelines from organizations like the AHA, ADA, etc recommended, gave advice on healthy food but following those recommendations went beyond the kitchen/dinner table into other areas of your life. They used to stress on healthy eating but now they have revamped their guidelines and now you see these organizations broaden their concepts to include the importance of a healthy lifestyle on top of healthy eating.

If you wish to read up more on healthy lifestyle, I strongly recommend reading a journal article published in Health Sociology Review "The symbolic power of "healthy lifestyles" that goes into way more detail. I can't post it here because of the copyright statement it has at the end of the article. It does say that I can "print, download, or email articles for individual use." So send me a PM and I'll e-mail you the article :D

I think I hit a wall. I've been doing the same thing as the past 8 weeks, but my weight actually went up 1.5 pounds this morning, so I'm up to 213.6. Any tips on getting back on track?

[quote name='encendido5']I think I hit a wall. I've been doing the same thing as the past 8 weeks, but my weight actually went up 1.5 pounds this morning, so I'm up to 213.6. Any tips on getting back on track?[/QUOTE]

What is your current routine?

[quote name='blindinglights']What is your current routine?[/QUOTE]

As far as exercise, I've been doing a workout video three times a week. I either use the Firm, which is a 45 minute circuit workout with weights or Insanity (which I just started a week and a half ago).

I'm using myfitnesspal.com to track my calorie intake and it recommends I stay at 1,850 calories per day to lose a pound a week. I just looked at my weekly report though and I've been 500 calories under the 1,850 for a couple of those days, which is due to the exercise. I just can't seem to find what to eat to make up for the exercise calories lost.

Honestly dont get hung up on weight. How your clothes fit is a really good indicator. You could also take pictures once a month and have a visual.

It's possible you aren't eating enough. If your body feels that it isn't receiving enough food then it will be more difficult to lose weight. How is your eating scheduled throughout the day? You need to eat first thing in the morning and then every few hours throughout the day to keep the metabolism burning.

Also, you could just be retaining a bit of water. I wouldn't obsess over a pound and a half. I've lost more than that in sweat on long runs before.

I'm not familiar with those workout plans, but are those three days your only active days? On off days from your video routines do you go jogging or do any other physical activity? After two months, I would think your body has became used to your three day, 45 minute plan. You can either seriously crank up the intensity, consider two a days for your 3 days, or start adding in some other activities between those three days (running, biking, kayaking, swimming, whatever really).

Sadly, you can't just do the same thing forever and keep losing weight. The human body will eventually adapt to damn near anything you throw at it (if you don't believe me, read this). You have to constantly push yourself harder and harder to make progress.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the advice guys!

blindinglights, yes those are my only workout days. I'm trying to walk during lunch every day though, so I'm hoping that will help some. It's also tough finding time to workout with a new baby. My wife wants to start working out too, so maybe we can go out for walks and stuff.

I'll wait to see how I do next Monday. I'll try to eat up all my calories, but it's tough finding what to eat. I read in another forum that nuts or almonds are the best way to go, so I may try that.

My condo's gym has some papertowel things to wipe down the equipment, but it always gets jammed. Should I buy special gym towels or bring old hand towels? I would prefer to buy some cheap hand towels.

Should I bring some type of spray or lysol wipes to wipe down the equipment? I sweat like crazy and don't want to be the guy that doesn't clean up.

Thought I'd post in here since I haven't been up in this thread for probably a year or so.

Started to get pretty hardcore back into things - starting to cut down on weight again because I think I want to start doing some more Jiu Jitsu and Judo tournaments. I'm also at the point where I'm pretty sure I don't even want to do real last 36 hour cutting hell again (at the most maybe just like a quick 5 lbs), so I'd rather just get down close to that as my walk around weight.

Also started upping my running again - I haven't done a long run (1/2 marathon) since January and would like to do one again by this upcoming January. Hopefully with the cooler weather coming it will get a little easier. The gym where I live has a gym, but I think also maybe a mold problem in the ventilation. When I run there it kills my asthma (definitely asthma and not just out of shapeness).

On a side not I found a few warts on the bottom of my foot. Have an appointment to have them removed on Monday - I have a feeling they may have to be cut off since it is a cluster. That would leave me out of jiu jitsu and judo for probably a month as the cut heals. Maybe I will be lucky though.

I must have been panicking too early because this morning I dropped to 210.2. I have been trying to eat all my calories for the day including those lost from exercise though, so I don't know if that helped at all.

There are four weeks left to the competition and I'm still on top by a couple of percentage points.

I don't think I ever mentioned it here, but I won that gym competition :) Thanks to everyone who voted!

---

So I've been doing the same 5 day lifting split for a while now, and it's time for a change.

I think I might do Chest/tri, Back/Bi and Legs/Shoulder days, with 2-3 days of Hiit. I'll start to cut, then go back to heavy lifting in 8-12 weeks.

That's pretty much my split, other than I do a 4 day one with legs and shoulders on their own day.

But if you want to cut, then you're on the right path as more cardio is the key. So a 3 day split is good as long as you force your self to do the Hiit the 2-3 non-lifting days a week (and regular cardio after the lifting).

going back to school tomorrow and will finally start this shit for real lol. doing my first round of grocery shopping, just looking for healthy (and affordable) options for protein, carbs and fat: white rice, brown rice, lots of eggs, oatmeal, almonds, bananas, skim milk, water, olive oil, lean meats and cheap fish, etc..

what veggies/fruit are the cheapest that i can cut up and throw in there? and what ways do you guys prefer to prepare your meat? should I invest in a slow-cooker?

--

also, maybe it's because i'm working out harder, but my back acne is starting to return. any advice or body wash recommendations?

[quote name='panzerfaust']going back to school tomorrow and will finally start this shit for real lol. doing my first round of grocery shopping, just looking for healthy (and affordable) options for protein, carbs and fat: white rice, brown rice, lots of eggs, oatmeal, almonds, bananas, skim milk, water, olive oil, lean meats and cheap fish, etc..

what veggies/fruit are the cheapest that i can cut up and throw in there? and what ways do you guys prefer to prepare your meat? should I invest in a slow-cooker?

--

also, maybe it's because i'm working out harder, but my back acne is starting to return. any advice or body wash recommendations?[/QUOTE]

Buy lots of tuna, stock up on it, I prefer Chuck Light Tuna in water. Also any other fish, maybe Salmon in a can, stuff is cheap at Walmart, tons of protein.

For veggies, I usually buy cucumbers, green peppers, broccoli(don't like eating it raw so I fry it in the pan for a min or two), baby carrots(these are usually cheap), asparagus, and kale(really good for you, best type of greens you can get but doesn't taste too good)

For the most part, I eat my veggies raw and just cut the skin off, cooking it in anyway loses some of the veggies nutrients but I don't think it's a biggie. You could also look for deals on Microwavable Veggies(those steam bags that go for like 2 for $3) these are nice and easy to prepare.

I cut down my fruit, eat a banana here once in a while or mango or grapes. Also buy lots of eggs, no the cholesterol and saturated fat in them aren't bad for you, don't believe those idiots spouting about how cholesterol in food is bad, most of it is produced from your own body.

And like you said a plethora of almonds, sunflower seeds, pistachios(expensive), etc. Healthy fats + protein + supprese appetite(though they always make me eat more)

But yeah, just the basics

[quote name='Be3fJerky']Buy lots of tuna, stock up on it, I prefer Chuck Light Tuna in water. Also any other fish, maybe Salmon in a can, stuff is cheap at Walmart, tons of protein.[/QUOTE]

Isn't mercury poisoning a concern though? I've read that at most you should only have 1 can of tuna a day.

Should I eat just as heavily on my in-between days where I simply do cardio/abs? I would assume protein would be less critical for these..

--

Tried canned tuna for the first time, not bad. Lucky me.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Should I eat just as heavily on my in-between days where I simply do cardio/abs? I would assume protein would be less critical for these..

--

Tried canned tuna for the first time, not bad. Lucky me.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say you should heavy but just a good amount, DEPENDS on how hard you push yourself in the cardio though, you will be needing a lot of carbs for that, and your calorie intake should be a little higher, again depending on how hard you push yourself.
Regarding to your protein intake, you are right, it shouldn't be as much as usual because the sleep time that you had is the main factor the previous night after your workout, that is when the protein you take is working to repair the muscle tissue the most.

I need to alter my diet.

I tried the whole keto/higher fat/high protein thing and I actually think I GAINED weight.

Over in the weight loss GAF thread all they do is talk about this and pounds melting away. Yeah, not for me.

I'm going back to what I used to do. Low fat, VERY low sugar, high protein and moderate carbs.

[quote name='seanr1221']I need to alter my diet.

I tried the whole keto/higher fat/high protein thing and I actually think I GAINED weight.

Over in the weight loss GAF thread all they do is talk about this and pounds melting away. Yeah, not for me.

I'm going back to what I used to do. Low fat, VERY low sugar, high protein and moderate carbs.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like you're too deep in the minutia while ignoring the most important thing: calories.

That's the other thing! Most of them say don't pay attention to calories. Just eat all the fat and protein you want. Fry cheese and eggs in butter, cook chicken in lard, eat pork rinds, etc.

My coworkers decided to give me the money for the biggest loser. I lost 27 pounds and the next closest person is at 15 pounds. The last weigh in was this coming Monday so I don't think anybody was going to catch me.

I've started on Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. It seems pretty good at only 20 minutes per day. It's really all I have time for :lol:

[quote name='seanr1221']That's the other thing! Most of them say don't pay attention to calories. Just eat all the fat and protein you want. Fry cheese and eggs in butter, cook chicken in lard, eat pork rinds, etc.[/QUOTE]
Those people are idiots.

[quote name='sublime90']i like lifting weights but i dont like gyms because theres either A) pretty boys trying to look hot for women or B) crazy muscle heads with to much testosterone. so when i was working out i just used a pull up bar.....push up bars and dumb bells. i actually have a bench with about 300 pounds of weight but its big and i dont have room for it so instead i bought this Dosho its 500 bucks but i really like it and a pretty good deal considering what you get and its pretty compact.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I looked at the Dosho website and am impressed. Is it worth the $500 since you last posted this?

@sean

this may be helpful in selecting the right foods

--

right now my diet mainly consists of: oatmeal, eggs, turkey (breasts, bacon, sausages etc...), white and brown rice, bananas, strawberries, almonds, peanut butter, broccoli and peas, and of course lots of skim milk.

ive been having trouble getting an affordable budget around it all. thinking of investing in tofu if anyone knows of any simple meal preperations. also very tempted to buy tons of enriched spaghetti but that's not very healthy :cry:

[quote name='seanr1221']That's the other thing! Most of them say don't pay attention to calories. Just eat all the fat and protein you want. Fry cheese and eggs in butter, cook chicken in lard, eat pork rinds, etc.[/QUOTE]

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

It's true some people look at FAT content too much, but calories is everything. lol. crazy

it's a list of foods and the serving size that would amount to 1 block in a Zone diet.

people on the Zone diet categorize their meals into blocks of protein, carbs, and fat. 1oz of chicken breast amounts to 1 block of protein, and so on. I guess you're supposed to get a certain amount of blocks everyday or something, i haven't looked into it much -- i've only heard good things about it though.

i just use that list as a reference for buying groceries.

Hey guys, first I wanted to say thanks for this thread. It has been tremendously insightful.

I have a few questions. I've been lifting for awhile, however, I've just avoided the supplement/protein angle.

I've been doing some mad cardio, pushing up to 12-15 miles now on my long runs, and I've dropped some serious weight, so I'm thinking of adding protein to the mix to make-up for my lost calories (long story but making up for the calorie loss with solely food is out of the question.

My main questions are this:

1. How many protein shakes should I have per day?

2. I've heard its best to have protein shakes as soon as one wakes up in the morning, and then immediately after one lifts. However, if I lift in the morning, how should I go about this? It'd most likely be redundant to wake up, have a shake, lift, and then have another one.

3. On my running days should I still have a protein shake? And should I still have the same amount as I would on my lifting days.

Pardon my naivete, as I've never turned toward protein shakes/supplements before. Any advice would be appreciated.

[quote name='strayfoxx']Hey guys, first I wanted to say thanks for this thread. It has been tremendously insightful.

I have a few questions. I've been lifting for awhile, however, I've just avoided the supplement/protein angle.

I've been doing some mad cardio, pushing up to 12-15 miles now on my long runs, and I've dropped some serious weight, so I'm thinking of adding protein to the mix to make-up for my lost calories (long story but making up for the calorie loss with solely food is out of the question.

2. I've heard its best to have protein shakes as soon as one wakes up in the morning, and then immediately after one lifts. However, if I lift in the morning, how should I go about this? It'd most likely be redundant to wake up, have a shake, lift, and then have another one.

3. On my running days should I still have a protein shake? And should I still have the same amount as I would on my lifting days.

Pardon my naivete, as I've never turned toward protein shakes/supplements before. Any advice would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Good questions. I'm not much of an expert on timing protein intake and calorie consumption/expenditure, but I'll throw what I know your way. To answer the first one, it depends on what your goals are. If you are trying to pack on muscle size, you could definitely get away with two, maybe even three (although with the price of protein powder, that could get costly.) However if you are just looking to maintain what you've got, one would be sufficient, but maybe add an extra scoop to the single shake in order to make up for the extra calories as you say you are trying to do.

For the second question, if you lift in the morning, as far as I know, you could really do a shake either before or afterwards. If you take it before, eat a high protein and complex carb breakfast after you workout to replenish what your body lost. The second shake could then be taken at some point later in the day, or even used as a bedtime snack so that your body can keep building muscle while you're sleeping. If this is the case, I've heard a lot of people claiming that using casein instead of whey will produce much better results.

Finally, for number 3, you should definitely take a protein shake on running day. Since you are running 12-15 miles, that is a lot of calorie expenditure, and while it may not feel the same as a hard leg workout, your leg muscles are still being broken down during the process, and what better way to refuel than with a good protein shake after a long run.

If I missed anything, I apologize and I'm sure that many of the other fitness forum contributors will fill in the gaps with their two cents, as well. Good luck with everything.

[quote name='strayfoxx']Hey guys, first I wanted to say thanks for this thread. It has been tremendously insightful.

Pardon my naivete, as I've never turned toward protein shakes/supplements before. Any advice would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

1. First I need to know your height and weight and body fat % and your physique to know how much protein you would need.
There are many protein shakes out there, but it is up to you to do the research to see which one fits you best. Whey protein is usually one of the best to take if the only thing extra you need in your diet is simply protein (look in the nutrition label of the supplement)

2. If you have a poor diet, then yes having a protein shake in the morning is the best thing to do, even if you lift an hour after. Always make sure to eat carbs before and after ANY workout, that way your body gets the energy it needs to power through it. To add on to this, your body needs the protein directly after exercise so there's nothing wrong with that.

3. On your running days yes you should still have a shake but not as much as your lifting days because on your lifting days you are "ripping and tearing" your muscles, protein is needed to repair the tissue. Now unless you are doing a power sprint uphill with weights on your back then stick to about 15g less than on lifting days.

*Many people see supplements or protein shakes as something bad because they look at bodybuilders and automatically assume they will get that big. Protein isn't what gets you big, is the workout you do and the intensity you put into it.

[quote name='strayfoxx'][/QUOTE]

1. One shake serves most people just fine, it largely depends on your size and goals. I believe it's recommended to get 1 gram per lb of body weight, or that's at least what you should be aiming at. If you consider a shake is ~24g (~35g if you mix with milk), then you can easily find the rest of your protein in your meals throughout the day.

And if you are maxing on protein, make sure you're doing quality workouts. My roommates do like 5 pull ups and some bicep curls and then steal my whey protein afterward. Just a waste.

2. Basically just in close proximity to your workout. I prefer mine post-work out, around 20 minutes after I leave the gym. I believe carbs are what you want immediately after exercise, while protein is fine at any time of day.

3. I've wondered this too, but I guess it comes down to preference. I consume less protein on cardio days by basically taking out the shake. Having carbs post-running is most important. If you can afford to be making all these shakes everyday though, by all means.

If you'e looking to get your first supp, I think most here lean towards whey protein since it's simple and healthy. Gold Standard is a good brand with a lot of flavors.

[quote name='panzerfaust']1. One shake serves most people just fine, it largely depends on your size and goals. I believe it's recommended to get 1 gram per lb of body weight, or that's at least what you should be aiming at. If you consider a shake is ~24g (~35g if you mix with milk), then you can easily find the rest of your protein in your meals throughout the day.

And if you are maxing on protein, make sure you're doing quality workouts. My roommates do like 5 pull ups and some bicep curls and then steal my whey protein afterward. Just a waste.

2. Basically just in close proximity to your workout. I prefer mine post-work out, around 20 minutes after I leave the gym. I believe carbs are what you want immediately after exercise, while protein is fine at any time of day.

3. I've wondered this too, but I guess it comes down to preference. I consume less protein on cardio days by basically taking out the shake. Having carbs post-running is most important. If you can afford to be making all these shakes everyday though, by all means.

If you'e looking to get your first supp, I think most here lean towards whey protein since it's simple and healthy. Gold Standard is a good brand with a lot of flavors.[/QUOTE]
About your #1 answer, that formula is good if you're trying to maintain, but if you're trying to gain muscle you need more.

[quote name='AzzidReign']then yes having a protein shake in the morning is the best thing to do, even if you lift an hour after.[/QUOTE]

I would disagree with this. If you're going to lift in an hour, just wait and take the shake after. Your protein absorption is highest after lifting and many, if not most, people find that a protein shake just makes them bloated and uncomfortable when taken before a strenuous workout.

As mentioned above, carbs are your priority before lifting so you will have the energy. Just save the protein shake for after, but preferably within 20 minutes following, the workout.

I'm generally skeptical of products like this but was wondering if anyone has tried or knows anyone who has tried the Perfect Punch

protein shakes are made differently. there are meal replacement shakes, there are pre/peri/post-workout shakes, and there is just plain protein (and there are different proteins too! whey isolate, whey hydrolysate, casein, egg, rice, hemp...).

and then from plain protein you can make the other shakes by putting some more stuff in it like nuts, fruits, amino acids... etc.

obviously if you're making a meal replacement, you can drink it whenever. i see casein recommended for MRPs because they absorb slowest.

i usually drink my workout shake during the workout and add creatine; i use biotest's surge. for the MRP i just use whatever i feel like. i liked muscle milk just 'cause it tasted good.

but honestly i think the details matter little. i doubt there's a big effect between the guy that takes hemp protein in the morning and the guy who takes whey at 3pm on a full moon. as long as you get the calories you need, you're good.

[quote name='kainzero']
but honestly i think the details matter little. i doubt there's a big effect between the guy that takes hemp protein in the morning and the guy who takes whey at 3pm on a full moon. as long as you get the calories you need, you're good.[/QUOTE]
I'll take that a step further. If you're getting sufficient protein from regular food, then all this supplemental stuff (shakes, powders, and bars) is unnecessary.

[quote name='AzzidReign']1. First I need to know your height and weight and body fat % and your physique to know how much protein you would need.
There are many protein shakes out there, but it is up to you to do the research to see which one fits you best. Whey protein is usually one of the best to take if the only thing extra you need in your diet is simply protein (look in the nutrition label of the supplement)

2. If you have a poor diet, then yes having a protein shake in the morning is the best thing to do, even if you lift an hour after. Always make sure to eat carbs before and after ANY workout, that way your body gets the energy it needs to power through it. To add on to this, your body needs the protein directly after exercise so there's nothing wrong with that.

3. On your running days yes you should still have a shake but not as much as your lifting days because on your lifting days you are "ripping and tearing" your muscles, protein is needed to repair the tissue. Now unless you are doing a power sprint uphill with weights on your back then stick to about 15g less than on lifting days.

*Many people see supplements or protein shakes as something bad because they look at bodybuilders and automatically assume they will get that big. Protein isn't what gets you big, is the workout you do and the intensity you put into it.[/QUOTE]

I'm 6'2" and am wavering between 160-165 lbs due to my running. I don't really know my body fat percentage is, but I do have abs (not to brag :) )so I suppose that would put me below a certain body fat percentage. As for my aspirations and goals, as I'm nearing my 30s and am looking to start a family, I would at least like to have a frame that could support something other than running 26.2 miles away from an assailant.

Also, thanks for the mention of carbs. I've always noticed that compared to other people, I need to eat far more before I engage in exercise. Today I borrowed one of my friends protein shakes and then lifted and felt weak. So I suppose I will eat a decent meal with some carbs beforehand, and have the shake afterwards.

Thanks for the input on this guys. I live with three jacked guys and I tend to get advice from people who don't know what its like not to be a raging 225lb behemoth. If you guys have any other advice it'd be great to hear.

[quote name='Allnatural']I'll take that a step further. If you're getting sufficient protein from regular food, then all this supplemental stuff (shakes, powders, and bars) is unnecessary.[/QUOTE]
i wouldn't go that far.

protein shakes are easy, convenient ways to get a lot of nutrients... it's not easy cooking and eating balanced meals during workouts.

what i meant is that sitting there and deciding whether or not you should go with whey hydrolysate vs whey isolate isn't as effective as just drinking a damn protein shake.

everything bagel, 3 strips of turkey bacon, 1 large egg. this is becoming my go-to sandwich for lunch :drool:

--

so who's down for before and after goals for the remainder of the year? seanr was talking about a new thread and i think it would be a cool idea.

bread's done
Back