CAG Health and Fitness Thread

I've got a question, I know it's obvious that the lower your body fat % you have less fat overall on your entire body. I've been wanting to know for example if you had 13-15% body fat and went down to 6-8% if you'd notice quite a difference in the face area like if you get more definition there and appear more masculine?

I'm guessing you would but I can't seem to find an answer because a lot of people who take bulking and cutting before and after shots don't show their face or may not be that photogenic/own a shitty camera.

[quote name='AndrewCP']I've got a question, I know it's obvious that the lower your body fat % you have less fat overall on your entire body. I've been wanting to know for example if you had 13-15% body fat and went down to 6-8% if you'd notice quite a difference in the face area like if you get more definition there and appear more masculine?

I'm guessing you would but I can't seem to find an answer because a lot of people who take bulking and cutting before and after shots don't show their face or may not be that photogenic/own a shitty camera.[/QUOTE]
Yeah losing body fat will definitely make your face look better. When I lost a good amount of weight a few years ago my face looked much better after. Also googling stuff about body fat and face seems to find a lot of articles about it.

Thanks DrFoo, that's awesome to know. I've read a few articles I found using google but many lacked proof and others had pretty much the same information. I'm not overweight anymore, I've got more of a slimmer build now but have been putting on some muscle and hoping that when I get ripped my face will become even thinner and look better.

[quote name='gregthomas77']HowStern,

How much should I adapt all of these numbers for the fact that I am quite overweight? I am 6'1" and 300 lbs (down from around 360 a few years ago). Also, if I go in three days a week for a basketball game at 7am that lasts an hour or so, does it matter if I go straight from that game to the lifting routine?

Also, I am not sure about one of the exercises (dips) given where I am starting, so are there any substitutions you might suggest?[/quote]

Hmm the basketball game is awesome cardio and is probably a little too tiring of an exercise to go right into lifting after. I think it may keep you from being able to give your all in the weight room. If there is any chance you can lift before the game or maybe 4+ hours after (like basketball in the morning, weights at night) I would do that. But, if the only way that is really convenient for you to lift is after the game I would go for it and just give it all you can. Because I definitely wouldn't recommend giving one up for the other, if you have to make a choice cardio is top priority(which kills me to say because i love lifting, but in the name of overall health... haha).

I would eat at a full -500 calorie deficit. To figure out how much calories you should be eating a day, first pick your ideal body weight. For 6'1" I'm getting 140-189lbs from this site. So, you should use all the numbers in above posts(calories a day, protein per lb, carb per lb) for that weight. So 2350 calories a day for 190lbs. This will let you gain muscle and lose fat.

Yeah, the dips might be a tough exercise to start out with. But try this
chair_516.jpg
This is sort of the "knee-push up" of dips. You can do it off the edge of a chair or anything. Dips are great because they are a compound exercise, they work out chest, triceps, and shoulders all at once. Perfect for a full body split. So, I would definitely try the chair dip instead and work up to a full dip :).
One thing you could do is see if you can do some regular dips, as many as you can even if it's only 2, and then switch to chair dips the rest of the set. A drop set of sorts. And do this until before you know it you are able to do a whole set of regular dips. And then you'll be throwing some plates on a dip belt (or be a cheapo like me and fill a backpack up with weights, til the straps rip and it makes the loudest noise you've ever heard in your life and you go out and buy a dip belt anyway heh) :)

Actually, quick thought about the ideal/goal weight. I would use 210 to start with instead of 190. Something like that to account for the muscle mass you will be gaining. So, I would say try to eat around 2650 calories a day for that. 190 seems like it wouldn't leave enough room to account of the weight of the muscle really. Once you get to 210 then maybe see about going down to 190.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK you guys convinced me to switch up my diet. My room mates and I are going out for groceries in about a week so I made a list of changes.

Additions:
Wheat bread/tortillas
Brown rice
Oatmeal
Frozen mixed vegetables, Bananas, Broccoli, Carrots, Apples, Oranges, Lettuce
Pinto beans/Nonfat re fried beans/kidney beans
Tuna
Orange Juice
Healthier cereal (Special K or something)
Oats
Biscuits
Canned chili

Food I've already been buying:
Ketchup/mustard
Potatoes
Black beans
Milk (skim and 1%), eggs, low fat yogurt
Ramen (mostly for when I run out of other foods)
Spagetti noodles/sauce
Butter
Peanut Butter
Sandwich meat (ham/turkey/chicken), lean beef
Hamburger helper (split into ~3 meals)
Granola bars (if I'm in a hurry/for in between classes)

List of food I'm going to stop buying:
Corn Dogs
Poptarts
White Bread
Hot Dogs
Chips
Mac and cheese
Bagels/Cream Cheese
Spagettios

Does this look like a good plan to you guys? Any comments or additional ideas are welcome.

Edit: changed/added a couple of things

Also, which type of meat do you all recommend for sandwiches (turkey, ham, chicken, beef etc)? I just like making quick meat/mustard sandwiches sometimes so it might as well be the healthiest kind. Also, is prepackaged meat fine?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ITDEFX']avoid those protein bars...

expensive and taste GROSS![/QUOTE]

Most of them are (since I despise peanut butter)... there are a few I will eat, though like most anything I eat, get tiring after awhile... you can find deals on the multipacks from target and places like thast

[quote name='zman73']Most of them are (since I despise peanut butter)... there are a few I will eat, though like most anything I eat, get tiring after awhile... you can find deals on the multipacks from target and places like thast[/quote]

That's where I get them from! I stopped after 2 months of eating them..yuck.

[quote name='DrFoo']OK you guys convinced me to switch up my diet. My room mates and I are going out for groceries in about a week so I made a list of changes.

Additions:
Wheat bread/tortillas
Brown rice
Oatmeal
Frozen mixed vegetables, Bananas, Broccoli, Carrots, Apples, Oranges, Lettuce
Pinto beans/Nonfat re fried beans/kidney beans
Tuna
Orange Juice
Healthier cereal (Special K or something)
Oats
Biscuits
Canned chili

Food I've already been buying:
Ketchup/mustard
Potatoes
Black beans
Milk (skim and 1%), eggs, low fat yogurt
Ramen (mostly for when I run out of other foods)
Spagetti noodles/sauce
Butter
Peanut Butter
Sandwich meat (ham/turkey/chicken), lean beef
Hamburger helper (split into ~3 meals)
Granola bars (if I'm in a hurry/for in between classes)

List of food I'm going to stop buying:
Corn Dogs
Poptarts
White Bread
Hot Dogs
Chips
Mac and cheese
Bagels/Cream Cheese
Spagettios

Does this look like a good plan to you guys? Any comments or additional ideas are welcome.

Edit: changed/added a couple of things

Also, which type of meat do you all recommend for sandwiches (turkey, ham, chicken, beef etc)? I just like making quick meat/mustard sandwiches sometimes so it might as well be the healthiest kind. Also, is prepackaged meat fine?[/quote]

Looks pretty good to me. Add a bag of spinach in there as well for some good greens with high vitamin content. As far as the meats, there is a hierarchy for which lunchmeats are the have the least amount of fat:

Turkey/Chicken
Roast Beef
Lean Ham
Processed meats (i.e. bologna, corned beef, etc. Stay away from this group)

If possible, go for the fresh stuff at the deli counter because it will have less added sodium than the packaged stuff

Just started exercising regularly again for the first time in a while. Just been doing ab stuff and push-ups along with playing basketball whenever it's warm out.

Being sore FTW!

[quote name='senorwoohoo']Just started exercising regularly again for the first time in a while. Just been doing ab stuff and push-ups along with playing basketball whenever it's warm out.

Being sore FTW![/quote]

You are gonna feel it for the first few weeks my friend.

Oh I know, it all reminds me of how I felt after basketball try-outs and then the first week of practice.

Absolute death but worth it, of course.

As with all weight calculators, don't rely on them 100%. If you have a naturally larger bone structure or are training with weights, you may be "overweight" according to the calculator when in fact you are perfectly healthy. But, for a baseline weight calculator, that looked solid.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']As with all weight calculators, don't rely on them 100%. If you have a naturally larger bone structure or are training with weights, you may be "overweight" according to the calculator when in fact you are perfectly healthy. But, for a baseline weight calculator, that looked solid.[/quote]

Yeah, I was more talking about some of the articles he has on there, along with some of the videos. Pretty interesting stuff about cardio on his site.

[quote name='ITDEFX']avoid those protein bars...

expensive and taste GROSS![/quote]

Yeah they have a ton of sugar and sometimes even a lot of saturated fat.

I keep a couple around the house just inc ase I have to go out for a long period of time and know I'm going to need to eat while I'm gone but won't be able to make anything. But powder is definitely the way to go. I use this Optimum Nutrition whey that is flavored as "tropical punch" I want to try this chocolate mint kind that they have though :)

Drfroo, maybe switch out butter with olivio and see how you like that. It's got a lot of unsaturated fats and less sat. fat. I actually really like the taste too.

Thanks for the advice EDiddy and Howstern. I'll definitely pick up some spinach and at least try switching out the butter.

[quote name='DrFoo']Thanks for the advice EDiddy and Howstern. I'll definitely pick up some spinach and at least try switching out the butter.[/quote]

No prob. Glad I could help. And I 100% agree w/ Howstern on those butter substitutes. For the most part, you really can't taste much of a difference and it is a helluva lot better for you too.

I joined http://www.gyminee.com here recently. You can track what you eat and how much you're working out. I'm using it more for a nutritional aspect than how much I work out (because I question some of their statistics for workouts), but overall, it's not a bad site.

Hey I have a question aimed at anyone: do any of you take martial arts classes of any type? I've been thinking about taking muay thai or jeet kune do, mostly because I am getting bored with my current exercise routine (I pretty much lift 3 days a week and do cardio twice). Anyone have advice on finding a good dojo/teacher or even how I could get into the basics myself before I take a class? Much appreciated.

^Oh man, if you can find a jeet kune do instructor nearby I would definitely go for it. I haven't taken a class of anything since I was about 12 but lately , if I had the money, i've been wanting to find a krav maga or JKD class.

I've been looking and haven't found much of anything yet aside from normal karate. Going to keep looking for JKD and Muay Thai, but I may have to settle on Judo.

Since its amazing outside today(76 and sunny) I decided to do my running outside instead of the typical run/walk on the treadmill. Did about 2.3miles of running/walking.
The first mile was on a slight uphill which was killer, ended up stopping for air more often then i normally do on the treadmill. My guess is the change from running outside and running indoors.

About martial arts, I been thinking when i get employed again possibly taking up some Muay Thai classes. Anyone throwing knees and elbows on a weekly basis?

[quote name='mtxbass1']I joined http://www.gyminee.com here recently. You can track what you eat and how much you're working out. I'm using it more for a nutritional aspect than how much I work out (because I question some of their statistics for workouts), but overall, it's not a bad site.[/quote]

Thanks for suggesting this site...it's pretty cool. Signed up for a profile.

I've been useless with making it to the gym the past month or so. Was good in January but was out of town half of February, then had a bad cold after getting done with traveling, and now my motivation has been shot as I've been busy as shit with work and my dissertation. *sigh*

Oh well, at least I've been eating well and have the benefit of being a skinny person trying to put on a bit of muscle rather than someone trying to lose weight so I don't really get too much of a negative impact from missing workouts.

[quote name='specialk']
Also, for the ON brand whey, the cookies and cream is really good.[/quote]

I bought the Rich Double Chocolate this past weekend and it is absolutely amazing. Tastes just like a carnation instant breakfast, but better. I'm definitely going to grab more of it and the cookies and cream one.

^nice me too. I've always been a vanilla kind of guy. Although I do want to try chocolate mint. I'm afraid to go in for 5lbs of it and have it be gross though.
I use the cookies and cream casein because it blends perfect without a blender it's like sand in a jug lol.

So I've been lifting weights for a while now and on my left arm my bicep is on top normal looking but on my right arm when I'm not flexing the bicep hangs to the left. Is this normal?

^Yeah. No one is perfectly symmetrical. No worries :)
My left quad is slightly bigger than my right no matter what I do.
And I forget which but when I flex one of my biceps has more of a triangular peak.

Yeah very few people are symmetric.

The only thing you can do to minimize those kind of problemsis to do things with independent motion for each limb. Dumbell curls instead of barbell curls for instance (and generally anything you can do with dumbells rather than barbells.

Its more important when you're new to weights as you'll probably have one side/arm stronger than the other and it will do more of the work on barbell stuff. With dumbells you can do weight that you're weaker side can handle and get it caught up.

But most everyone is not going to be perfectly symmetric regardless of what they do.

Has anyone here had knee pain while doing squats or deadlifts?

At the gym this morning, I had to alter my routine because after 2 sets of squats and deadlifts, my knees were hurting way too much. I was doing pretty light weight, too. Any way to remedy this? Is it a form issue, or just a case of bad knees? I like doing squats/deadlifts/hang cleans, so I'd hate to have to stop.

[quote name='ricknub']Has anyone here had knee pain while doing squats or deadlifts?

At the gym this morning, I had to alter my routine because after 2 sets of squats and deadlifts, my knees were hurting way too much. I was doing pretty light weight, too. Any way to remedy this? Is it a form issue, or just a case of bad knees? I like doing squats/deadlifts/hang cleans, so I'd hate to have to stop.[/quote]

Knee pain, or quad pain? Or just that general area?

my goals have been to gain some weight and muscle, i have a small frame and an insanely fast metabolism, one thing ive found that helps, is working out with some weights and good ol' fashioned push ups, whey protein in the morning / before work outs and muscle milk right after / before going to bed :) it's tasty!

[quote name='mtxbass1']Knee pain, or quad pain? Or just that general area?[/quote]

It's knee pain. It doesn't feel same as my legs do or arms do the day after a work out. It's right in the knee cap area/slightly above it, and I feel it as I'm dong the exercise. It feels bad...like a way it shouldn't be hurting while I'm doing in exercise. Like, if I were to try squatting right now, bending my knees would cause some pain.

Someone else can lend more light on this then, but a general rule of thumb is, that if you ever feel pain...STOP. You don't want to tear anything up further.

Hey ricknub, I had something similar happen to me about a month ago. Did you happen to bang your knee into anything, or perhaps hyper extend it while out going through your day? I slammed mine into a door jam, and it hurt like hell. I had to completely discontinue legs for that week, but the week after I was right back at it. Maybe try not working your legs for a week, and put ice on the knee whenever you aren't up and about. If you feel an absolute necessity to do something with your legs, try some light cycling on a stationary bike for 15 or 20 minutes

I hurt my leg a few years back and when I do squats th eonly way to avoid knee pain in my left leg is to point my toes outward/away from each other.
Some people say you should point your toes in, some say out, some say neutral.
I found that doing a little thing like pointing my toes out and keeping a very wide stance eliminated the pain.

A weird thing happened the other day to me though. I decided to try doing some sets of decline bench press. I had never done it and I heard it was good for lower chest. While I'm doing it I get a pop in the back of my head and then the most intense throbbing headache of my life.
I've put two and two together after reading about exertional headaches and realized what happened was since when you workout blood goes to your head anyway, on top of that my head was declined. And so my veins in my head were too swollen.
I guess some people get these a lot. I've never had anything like it. It's the worst. I've been trying to stay light since then but I think I have to take a couple weeks off from what I've read :(
It's definitely gotten better but earlier I sneezed and it hurt (which added to my hypothesis about pressure and it being exertional)
I think I am going to avoid decline bench pressing for now on :/

Oy, still struggling to get back into the gym. Was set to make it back in today, but fell down a flight of stairs on Friday and banged up my hip, ribs and elbow which still has me too bruised and swollen up. :(

Elbow is feeling much better, so maybe I can get in some upper body workouts starting tomorrow.

HowStern, I have a slight addition that may help your knee when doing squats. Prop your heels up on a 2 or 3 inch board, and then try that. I have been using that method for a while now and I have found it really takes a good amount of strain off the knees and back. As for the decline bench, you can work the same area of the pectoralis by doing parallel dips, which in my opinion are nicer anyway because you don't get that huge head rush.

dmaul, sorry to hear about the injury. It definitely sucks getting banged up and not being able to do anything, but the key is not to rush it. Healing and recovery is essential for optimum performance, so don't push yourself too hard right off the back.

^Nice yeah I've heard something about using a 2x4 under your heels before. It's supposed to really make your quads do the work I've heard too. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for the tip :)
Yeah dips are definitely the way to go after the headache I've had the past week from decline BP :( It felt like the same area of chest but I wasn't sure. Now I know I can save myself the headache :)

Yeah, decline BP just isn't a great excercise IMO. It really doesn't hit the chest much differently than flat bench, and definitely isn't worth it if you're getting headaches etc.

Yeah I've decided I'm going to take like 2 weeks off, let this migraine go away, and then come back beast mode.
I'm afraid though I'll take the 2 weeks off and then the second I pick up a weight :poof: headache again! XD
I'll definitely have to start out with some warm up sets

[quote name='EDiddy0042']
dmaul, sorry to hear about the injury. It definitely sucks getting banged up and not being able to do anything, but the key is not to rush it. Healing and recovery is essential for optimum performance, so don't push yourself too hard right off the back.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my injuries actually feel a bit worse today--hip I don't know why, elbow because I banged it on a door jam this morning....

So no work out today, and made an appointment to get checked out by the sports doctor in the campus health center tomorrow morning. Hip is likely just a bad bruise/bone bruise, but I worry a bit about the elbow. Doesn't hurt to move my arm but hurts like hell to touch it and feels like there may be a some small piece of something moving around in there so I worry that I may have broke off a chip of bone or something--but I'd think there would be swelling and more bruising than I have with something like that....

Does anyone here use one of those pull up bars that attaches to your door frame? If so, any recommendations? I've got 10' ceilings in most rooms, with some having 20', so I'm not too worried about lifting up into the ceiling or anything.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah very few people are symmetric.

The only thing you can do to minimize those kind of problemsis to do things with independent motion for each limb. Dumbell curls instead of barbell curls for instance (and generally anything you can do with dumbells rather than barbells.

Its more important when you're new to weights as you'll probably have one side/arm stronger than the other and it will do more of the work on barbell stuff. With dumbells you can do weight that you're weaker side can handle and get it caught up.

But most everyone is not going to be perfectly symmetric regardless of what they do.[/quote]

I'm insanely asymmetric naturally. It's most noticeable in my biceps and my calves. It makes me jog unbalanced, which causes problems. I'm still trying to correct that.

bread's done
Back