CAG Health and Fitness Thread

Saw the sports doctor, turns out both the place on my hip/leg and my elbow that I banged up are right around bursa sacs and the swelling and pain is because those are inflamed from the impact--so bursitis.

Will just be sore for a while and should take it easy (especially on the leg which is much worse) until the pain and swelling lessens.

They're much better, a little sore to touch/lay on etc. but no pain in movement. Should be back in the gym tomorrow. Would have been today but I had morning meetings.

Glad to hear it. I'm sure you will do this anyway, but take it easy for the first week back so you don't reaggravate anything. Just looking out for a fellow CAG:cool:

Oh definitely. Even without injuries it's been more than a month since I hit the weights so would have to take it a bit easy anyway.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']Hey ricknub, I had something similar happen to me about a month ago. Did you happen to bang your knee into anything, or perhaps hyper extend it while out going through your day? I slammed mine into a door jam, and it hurt like hell. I had to completely discontinue legs for that week, but the week after I was right back at it. Maybe try not working your legs for a week, and put ice on the knee whenever you aren't up and about. If you feel an absolute necessity to do something with your legs, try some light cycling on a stationary bike for 15 or 20 minutes[/quote]

I didn't bump into or hyper extend anything, which is why I'm a little concerned. I'm going to resist doing any leg stuff (aside from jogging, which is pain-free) this week and see if there is any improvement by next Monday, and if not, I may visit a doctor to see if there is something more going on there.

On the brighter side, my modified softball team starts practicing next week. I'm eager to see if I can go the season without tiring my shoulder out.

And dmaul, I think that's the same problem Peyton Manning had at the start of last season...so congrats on that? I hope you get better soon, as there are few things more frustrating than having to skip out or lighten up on your workouts.

Did some light cardio and a leg work out today and was pain free! So that was good go go.

lol at Peyton Manning comparison--his was different. IIRC he had something (scar tissue?) in his knee that was causing his bursititus--and then had the bursa sac get infected after the surgery to remove that junk. Much worse than just falling on one and having a bad swollen bruise and inflammed bursa sac! :D

OK I have a couple of questions for you guys. What are the advantages of treadmills vs elliptical machines vs stationary bikes vs jogging/running? I found out I have a gym near me that's free for students with all 3 machines and a nice track, and from switching from jogging to the bike for one day it felt like jogging was almost exclusively hitting the calves while biking was almost all thighs.

Also, what do you guys recommend for a running schedule for someone who wants overall fitness (lose fat, gain muscle/speed/endurance)? I was thinking of running hard (interval training or something similar to help build up the muscle/speed) about 3 days a week on days I'm not working out (I usually work out Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday) and doing lighter long distance stuff on as many of the others days as I can to burn calories, running about 30 minutes each time. I know you need to give your muscles time to repair, but I'm not sure if that's too much or not.

[quote name='DrFoo']OK I have a couple of questions for you guys. What are the advantages of treadmills vs elliptical machines vs stationary bikes vs jogging/running? I found out I have a gym near me that's free for students with all 3 machines and a nice track, and from switching from jogging to the bike for one day it felt like jogging was almost exclusively hitting the calves while biking was almost all thighs.

Also, what do you guys recommend for a running schedule for someone who wants overall fitness (lose fat, gain muscle/speed/endurance)? I was thinking of running hard (interval training or something similar to help build up the muscle/speed) about 3 days a week on days I'm not working out (I usually work out Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday) and doing lighter long distance stuff on as many of the others days as I can to burn calories, running about 30 minutes each time. I know you need to give your muscles time to repair, but I'm not sure if that's too much or not.[/quote]

Your preference as to which machine you would like to use will depend on how you feel on certain days and possibly even your current body composition. For me, I find it extremely difficult to stay in one place while I am exercising because I feel I am not getting anything done. However, if it is cold and rainy outside, I find the bike to be the most enjoyable because of the low impact. I also find the low impact helpful because of my body size (I'm about 6'5, 215 lbs.), so distance running really does a number on
my knees.

Interval training is a great supplement to your weight training because it works your body anaerobically which is the best for burning fat in the shortest time, and it also helps to develop your fast twitch, white muscle fibers which are essential for moving heavy weights in the weight room.

As far as the repair and recovery, you should be OK with some form of cardio every day. The only recommendation I will make is not to perform all out sprinting intervals the day before, the day of or the day after a heavy leg training session, as you will find it very difficult to push yourself to the limit.

Yeah, like EDiddy said go ahead and switch it up.

Also 3 days a week should be ok if your doing HIIT.

My favorite is jumping rope. I bought a speed rope for like $5.

I didn't know know this until I started jumping seriously (30 min HIIT sessions) and felt sore in my abs the next day and looked it up, but every time you jump your body tightens its core to stabilize and stay straight. So it's a really good core work out too.
Also helps with coordination.

I am, Sean. I've actually been eating more than I used to. The difference now is I eat healthier foods in healthier portions. I used to eat Burger King meals before and after work. :( I'm not going to swear off junk food completely (cuz it's delicious :D) but I am conscious of what, when, and where I eat now.

Something else to remember (which kind of stinks) is that once you're overweight, it's easy to become overweight again due to fat cells in your body.

However, I think your weight-gain happened pretty fast right? It might not have the same effect if you used to be skinny and then gained weight all of a sudden.

In my case, I was overweight since 3rd grade, and didn't start exercising until my freshmen year of college. If I miss a couple weeks of the gym and don't watch what I eat, I can put on weight fast :|

I slacked off a bit, gained like 2lbs (not a big deal)..last night I had Wendy's. MMMM. I haven't had fast food in like 5 months. It was truly awesome, but kinda gross at the same time.

I love when.. I crave fast food, and I get it..and it's GOOD, and I leave it at that...ya know? I'm actually good now probably for another few months.

Thanks for the help EDiddy and HowStern. It sounds like my plan is solid. And I actually did buy a jump rope a little while ago so maybe I'll use that every once in a while.

And congratulations on the weight loss MusicNoteLess. That's a lot of weight in such a short amount of time.

[quote name='seanr1221']Anyone have any alcohol suggestions?

I've been getting rum and diets while avoiding beer, but would like a change.[/QUOTE]

I think vodka is like 60-70 cals a shot. Mixing it with juice should be decent.

[quote name='seanr1221']Anyone have any alcohol suggestions?

I've been getting rum and diets while avoiding beer, but would like a change.[/QUOTE]

I used to drink grey goose and cranberry juice like it was my job. Given, all the partying I did last summer, all the late nites, and excess amounts of vodka I stopped all together. I have since switched over to grey goose and club soda. It tastes fine and vodka is really one of the "better" drinks you can have if your watching the LBs.

I've gotta start cutting again, got a cruise in May and summer's around the corner. Haven't been serious about running since November and just lifted hard during the Winter. Gained 10 or so .lbs but still the same pants size, etc.

Really need some warm weather to get back in the regiment....not a big fan of treadmills.

Does anyone have a rowing machine? I'm looking for a decent one under $1000. Can I get the same kind of results out of something like a bowflex as well?

A few months of off and on work outs during the week, I have been stuck at 200 lbs :(

The only times my arms feel firmer is when I eat protein

Still have a bit of pot belly.

Chest still feels nice and firm :p

My legs are still nicely shaped.

Damn, I now regret giving my ex the old elliptical machine. I don't want it back as the last time I saw it it had become rusted from all the sweat she dumped on it :(.

Guess I am at that point where the weight won't move anymore :(

[quote name='mtxbass1']Does anyone have a rowing machine? I'm looking for a decent one under $1000. Can I get the same kind of results out of something like a bowflex as well?[/quote]

Check out this deal I found

http://www.brookstone.com/sl/product/4979-power-tower-home-gym.html

That same one at dicks is $200.
Now I know it isn't a rowing machine but you will definitely get a better lat workout with it + it has the dip bars and knee raise station. My bday is coming up in a couple weeks and wifey already told me to clear some space in the basement :)

I'm curious what peoples warm up/cool down routines are for running/jogging? I'm having problems with muscles hurting and it's preventing me from exercising as often as I'd like to.

[quote name='HowStern']Check out this deal I found

http://www.brookstone.com/sl/product/4979-power-tower-home-gym.html

That same one at dicks is $200.
Now I know it isn't a rowing machine but you will definitely get a better lat workout with it + it has the dip bars and knee raise station. My bday is coming up in a couple weeks and wifey already told me to clear some space in the basement :)[/quote]

I'm not really looking for a lat workout though. I need something specifically to recover from an injury that I have right now, and rowing is one of my better options.

^ahh I see. Yeah if it wasn't injury related I would go with the power tower. Lats are just the main from pull ups, the secondary is basically your whole back, biceps, and forearms. Then the dip bars would hit triceps shoulders and chest. All the stuff a rowing machine hits but a tougher workout since you get no sliding momentum. And since it is a body weight workout where your body is in the air (on both dips and pull ups) you hit your core, too, while stabilizing.

But yeah if it's a rehabilitation exercise then you probably want the rowing machine so you can use the glide to keep the injury at bay.

[quote name='HowStern']^ahh I see. Yeah if it wasn't injury related I would go with the power tower. Lats are just the main from pull ups, the secondary is basically your whole back, biceps, and forearms. Then the dip bars would hit triceps shoulders and chest. All the stuff a rowing machine hits but a tougher workout since you get no sliding momentum. And since it is a body weight workout where your body is in the air (on both dips and pull ups) you hit your core, too, while stabilizing.

But yeah if it's a rehabilitation exercise then you probably want the rowing machine so you can use the glide to keep the injury at bay.[/quote]

Yeah, essentially, I can't push off anymore with my right leg. When you go to arch the foot, it collapses. It's all nerve damage, so it's uncontrollable to a degree. I used to run quite frequently, but now I can't even maintain a jog, let alone walk normally. I would just run again for cardio if I could do it, but it seems now that my options are rather limited.

[quote name='Anexanhume']I'm curious what peoples warm up/cool down routines are for running/jogging? I'm having problems with muscles hurting and it's preventing me from exercising as often as I'd like to.[/quote]

For warm-up, I would first take five minutes and do some calisthenics or skip some rope to get the blood flowing. Follow that with some light stretching of your major muscle groups, paying particular attention to the legs and lower back. As for cool-down, walk at a normal pace for 5 minutes or so to bring your HR back down to normal, then do 10-15 minutes of stretching.

Hey I have a question- do any of you own a heavy bag for boxing? I have been looking to get one but am unsure if I should get a free standing one or invest the time and money in getting a hanging one and locate a spot to put it up.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']For warm-up, I would first take five minutes and do some calisthenics or skip some rope to get the blood flowing. Follow that with some light stretching of your major muscle groups, paying particular attention to the legs and lower back. As for cool-down, walk at a normal pace for 5 minutes or so to bring your HR back down to normal, then do 10-15 minutes of stretching.[/quote]

Ok, that's spot on for my warm-up, but it sounds like I need to do more for my cool down.

It's a tough start for me this year.

I'm hovering around 195-200 lbs.

The last two weeks have been bad: Eating out at least once a day. Chinese Food, Burger King, etc.

I did get some consecutive exercises in the last three days, including today and will spend 30 minutes with the elliptical tomorrow.

However, eating out have cost me over $100. Any advise on how to stop this? I was good with it once but it's haunting me again!

[quote name='vlv723']It's a tough start for me this year.

The last two weeks have been bad: Eating out at least once a day. Chinese Food, Burger King, etc.

I did get some consecutive exercises in the last three days, including today and will spend 30 minutes with the elliptical tomorrow.

However, eating out have cost me over $100. Any advise on how to stop this? I was good with it once but it's haunting me again![/quote]

You need to slowly ween yourself off of it. If you just go and completely cut it out, you will most likely cave in and go crazy with it. Start off slow, reducing your fast food consumption to maybe 2-3 times per week, and decrease the total amount of food you order at each sitting. Do this for a week, and then the following week, cut it to 1-2 times. Gradually reduce your consumption and eventually you will probably have no problem only eating fast food once every 2 or 3 weeks.

Yay for finally getting some nicer weather in which I won't mind running outside again. Bah for now being sick and coughing up crap.

I check into this thread once in a while and its nice to see some of the same people posting from a year ago. Dedication all the way.

[quote name='vlv723']It's a tough start for me this year.

However, eating out have cost me over $100. Any advise on how to stop this? I was good with it once but it's haunting me again![/QUOTE]

Did something cause the excessive eating out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Next time you feel you MUST (heheh) go to burger king try grabbing a veggie burger. Skip the fries and cheese. VB's are really good, you may be surprised. If you do this while you ween yourself like Edid suggested soon enough you'll be shedding pounds.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']You need to slowly ween yourself off of it. If you just go and completely cut it out, you will most likely cave in and go crazy with it. Start off slow, reducing your fast food consumption to maybe 2-3 times per week, and decrease the total amount of food you order at each sitting. Do this for a week, and then the following week, cut it to 1-2 times. Gradually reduce your consumption and eventually you will probably have no problem only eating fast food once every 2 or 3 weeks.[/QUOTE]
Thanks dude! I will try to limit for fast food/restaurant privileges to 2-3 a week. Hopefully I can get to my weight down to what it was before the Holiday break and continue on my journey to an ideal weight.

[quote name='MP77']Did something cause the excessive eating out?[/QUOTE]
Been working too much as well as late night WoW raiding. In addiction, I do bring lunch with me at work but I still eat out anyway. It's that crave when you haven't had something for a long time.

[quote name='HowStern']Next time you feel you MUST (heheh) go to burger king try grabbing a veggie burger. Skip the fries and cheese. VB's are really good, you may be surprised. If you do this while you ween yourself like Edid suggested soon enough you'll be shedding pounds.[/QUOTE]

Starting today, I am starting what Ediddy suggested. So far, I only had cereal this morning. I had leftovers from last night which I'll eat later today. A veggie burger sounds like a Boca burger to me.

This is my 2nd week back after taking 2 weeks off from that migraine neck thing. I took it easy last week but I started this week off beast mode.

I was hitting back/biceps so to warm up I did 35 reps each arm of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I9bmLuT_jU

I did 'em fast for a plyometric effect. Then did 6 sets of regular bent over rows. First 3 12 rep medium weight. Last 3 super heavy 6-8 reps.

Then 3 sets of super heavy one armed dumb bell rows.

Then to warm up bis I did 2 sets of fast light weight 21's
Then 2 sets of Close grip BB curls
2 sets DB curls
2 sets hammer curls

If you want to blast arms and back I would def reccomend this. I am really happy with todays workout and I really like using the plyometric style warm up which I've never done. One thing I would of liked to change is to substitue the two armed rows with wide grip pull ups. But no bar :( I'm going to pick up a power tower for my bday I think though :).

edit: also speaking of plyometrics I thought this was really cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZynrTd-1z9I

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, plyos are great for developing strength and power. Those plyo pullups are a killer too. I have found plyometric squats to really help with leg development

Killed legs today. Used the 2x4 under the heels trick for squats just like you suggested, Edid, it works great.
I added 3 sets of Overhead squats too. Felt those in my back big time. Now that it's nice out I'm gong to start doing more of those outside since I can just throw the weight down after.
total day was 25 rep light lunges for warm up, 3xsquats 3xoverhead squats 4xdeadlift 4xstiff leg deadlift 2xBodyweight hamstring curl (i only do 2 sets of these because by this time I'm worn and don't feel like falling on my face haha)

Nice- glad to hear the 2X4 worked. I've never done overhead squats before- you said they work your back, but do they also hit the quads from a different angle? I might give them a try. BTW, that looks like a solid leg program.

Yeah with the overheads balance comes into play big time from your quads all the way up to your shoulders. So I think the difference you feel in your legs is due to trying to stabilize.

here's a good video of it where the guy uses perfect form. It's cool because they are shooting by a mirror so you can see it from 2 angles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NJ7ScVaUR4

Yeah that guy is crazy. One of the related videos was of him titled "post workout nutrition" and he was just stuffing his face with donuts while spider pig from the simpsons movie played in the background lol.

I stayed at 90lbs for my overhead sets yesterday and I felt confident I could have done more but wasn't sure if I could keep as good form. Wasn't in the mood to experiment lol Better safe than sorry :)

^^Agreed 100%. Especially when you are working with a new exercise, its best to just take it easy on it for the first few workouts til you get the hang of it. Have you used front or barbell hack squats before?

Yeah both actually :) When I first decided to start working out at home and was trying to get around not having a rack yet or a spotter I was experimenting with safer alternatives to regular squats. I liked the front squats but for some reason I can't remember why I didn't like the hack squats. I'm going to have to do some next leg day now so I can see what my reason was lol

haha nice. Yeah as with the regular squats, the block under the heels helps me with fronts as well, and it makes the hacks a hell of a lot easier, so maybe give that a try and see if it changes your perspective on them.

bread's done
Back