CAG Infraction System Now Active (Beta/Trial)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='seththefallen']So just to be clear, there is no infraction for facilitating film piracy correct? I recall Cheapy downloaded Battlestar Galactica, so we're cool with shows and movies right?[/QUOTE]

You can discuss it but you cannot provide links to any site that has access to illegally provided content.

[quote name='mykevermin']I can see why they want to leave the vs. forum alone; but I think it's pretty shitty, all other criticisms aside, if they say "oh, well, it's a total hands off approach there," meaning there should be no mods closing down a thread entitled "Should George Bush Be Hanged?" (not my thread, BTW), and that there is free reign for "I believe in supply side, bitches" and sheer bitchy trolling.

I think it's lazy on the mods' part. If I were to report something I thought was problematic, and that the goal of this new approach is to lighten up banter around here, you think they wouldn't have just an indifferent attitude towards one thread (particularly one as inactive as the vs area is).[/QUOTE]'

The Vs. Forum was created specifically for controversial topics and arguing. We learned long ago that we can't stop all of you from behaving like jackasses so we gave you a place to go. Is the Vs. Forum immune to moderation? No, of course not. But we don't actively spend our time looking for troublemakers there.

Rule of thumb in Vs. Mode - If you can't take the heat then get out of the kitchen.

[quote name='strummerbs']If I understand it correctly, it's fine to discuss piracy in very general terms ("I downloaded Battlestar Galatica and....), it's infraction-worthy to discuss the where and hows of piracy (I downloaded BSG from XYZ).[/QUOTE]

See above.

[quote name='munch']Extremely lame, IMO. Nothing like flaunting your powers, huh?[/QUOTE]

I would be remiss if I did not make that point clear. Some people need the rules spelled out for them. You are clearly not one of those people so disregard my statement.

[quote name='seththefallen']Obviously he could have. Which is why I don't understand his harsh nature towards piracy...[/quote]

Harsh Nature Towards Piracy because its Theft.

Not Hard.

[quote name='Koggit']If you can say "DealExtreme is awesome!" then why can't you say "[torrent site] is awesome!"

DealExtreme has legal items (in addition to illegal), torrent sites have legal downloads (in addition to illegal)... nice double standard.

There are may other sites that sell bootleg games, in addition to DX, that are discussed quite often.[/quote]
DealExtreme doesn't sell bootleg games, they sell a wide variety of items, a few of which allow homebrew and commercial backup software to be run. I may be wrong (please direct me to the legislature outlining modchips/flash carts/custom firmware as illegal if I am) but I don't think modchips/flash carts/custom firmware are illegal. Regardless of their legal status, I'm sure cheapy doesn't want discussion of such devices as a large percentage of people use them for illegal purposes and he doesn't want CAG to get a reputation of being a piracy website.
A fairer comparison, in my opinion, would be "DX is awesome" and "sourceforge is awesome". As both offer nothing but legal devices/software, a few of which can be used illegally.

Also, I don't think cheapy and the gang would have a problem (again, correct me if I'm wrong) with promoting torrent sites that offer nothing but legal downloads, such as the linux mirror project and public domain torrents.

This new system looks mighty promising. Interesting to see how it all plays out.

(also the obligatory picture to go with this thread)

Adminpwnage.gif

[quote name='Warner1281']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/member.php?u=142947

Can we have this person infracted, silenced, or what have you. There's no mods on right now, so rather than PM someone or click the (!) icon, just figured I'd post it here and let whoever sees it deal with it. Just look at the last 5 or 6 posts in the Reduced Guides thread in the Deal Forum.[/QUOTE]

Please use the report post (!) feature in the future. We actually receive an email with a direct link to the post in question which is much more helpful to us. Thanks.

[quote name='InuFaye']Harsh Nature Towards Piracy because its Theft.

[/quote]
But it's not theft if you live in Japan?
There are stores that ship to Japan, so unless there is some law against importing American media I see no reason why cheapy can't buy it legally.

[quote name='itachiitachi']But it's not theft if you live in Japan?
There are stores that ship to Japan, so unless there is some law against importing American media I see no reason why cheapy can't buy it legally.[/quote]

Amazon is only allowed to ship certain media items to other countries.

They are not legally allowed to ship the shows to Japan.

The only way he could get it would be some bootlegger off ebay.

Piracy is theft, and its stealing someones hard-work.

Its criminal, sickening, and downright insulting to do.

Thats why we should not discuss it.

I just want to say that it is ridiculous that certain mods obviously are abusing this system for their own personal gain, especially when they employ such blatant double standards at handing out points.

Further, it is even more ridiculous that PMs cannot be access at all during a period of silence, and any PM that is sent to you during that time is wasted, which means someone writing one might have it rejected for no apparent reason until well after they've written it. Additionally, this can unfairly disrupt any potential trades someone might be doing.

And don't sit there and tell me "Well if you don't break the rules in the first place," because that assumes the mods here actually do their jobs competently, and some of them clearly do not.

Until some kind of appeal/repeal system is implemented - thereby making this more democratic in nature - it is even more flawed than I originally perceived. I actually thought Koggit was way out of line in comparing it to Gestapo fascism, but it's a pretty apt metaphor right now. Especially when the mods themselves are exempt, even when they harass members and aid harassment.

That's backwards beyond belief, and is only going to facilitate mob behavior. All it's going to take is one mod being in the pocket of a handful of users, who are going to report posts simply because they can get away it.

So sanctioned harassment is the best we can do around here in terms of law and order? Pretty pathetic, really.

[quote name='Strell']I just want to say that it is ridiculous that certain mods obviously are abusing this system for their own personal gain, especially when they employ such blatant double standards at handing out points.

Further, it is even more ridiculous that PMs cannot be access at all during a period of silence, and any PM that is sent to you during that time is wasted, which means someone writing one might have it rejected for no apparent reason until well after they've written it. Additionally, this can unfairly disrupt any potential trades someone might be doing.

And don't sit there and tell me "Well if you don't break the rules in the first place," because that assumes the mods here actually do their jobs competently, and some of them clearly do not.

Until some kind of appeal/repeal system is implemented - thereby making this more democratic in nature - it is even more flawed than I originally perceived. I actually thought Koggit was way out of line in comparing it to Gestapo fascism, but it's a pretty apt metaphor right now. Especially when the mods themselves are exempt, even when they harass members and aid harassment.

That's backwards beyond belief, and is only going to facilitate mob behavior. All it's going to take is one mod being in the pocket of a handful of users, who are going to report posts simply because they can get away it.

So sanctioned harassment is the best we can do around here in terms of law and order? Pretty pathetic, really.[/QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly. I know this was done to try and help the community, but I feel that it will end up doing more harm than good.

[quote name='Strell']I just want to say that it is ridiculous that certain mods obviously are abusing this system for their own personal gain, especially when they employ such blatant double standards at handing out points.

So sanctioned harassment is the best we can do around here in terms of law and order? Pretty pathetic, really.[/QUOTE]

Damn , I don't think I've ever seen you so pissed off before , or pissed off at all before actually , although I can understand why you'd be mad.

I do agree that not being able to access PMs while being silenced seems kinda silly , especially with pending trades as you mentioned. Although I suppose the catch here is that assuming users know that silenced users can't send or read PMs , once users realize that the trader they're working with is silenced , they will wait before attempting to get in contact with them. I'm sure this was set up to prevent users silenced from harassing other users suspected of reporting them or harrassing the mods , but it does seem kinda weak.

I'm not gonna touch the rest of the message though , for not really fully understanding the extent of the situation.

i totally agree with you. there wouldnt be a need for a infraction system if the mods did their jobs.

got my 1st infraction! awesome!

If any of this shit bothers you, you need to game more and post less. Buncha fuckin bitches in here. You turn my stomach. The whole lot of you. fuckin' retards.

[quote name='refusedchaos']i totally agree with you. there wouldnt be a need for a infraction system if the mods did their jobs.

got my 1st infraction! awesome![/quote]Clarification of what "if the mods did their jobs", as you see it, please?

I'm always curious to hear what the job of a mod is supposed to be.

[quote name='JimmieMac']If any of this shit bothers you, you need to game more and post less. Buncha fuckin bitches in here. You turn my stomach. The whole lot of you. fuckin' retards.[/QUOTE]
Infraction!

[quote name='shrike4242']Clarification of what "if the mods did their jobs", as you see it, please?

I'm always curious to hear what the job of a mod is supposed to be.[/QUOTE]

u, pooky, and trakan are an exception to my statement, u guys do ur jobs and well but the others dont.

the job of managing the forums and members. like i see fellow CAGs get grilled on stuff by one mod and an other just ignoring it. ive seen CAGs getting grilled on having stuff in their TL but i have seen it in many others. yea i know that mods cant be in all places at all times so maybe we should just hire more mods?

I'm just letting you know before I game, that you don't impress me or anyone else here, expect maybe that fat pig with the unibrow in the OTT that you seem to faun over at every opportunity.

[quote name='JimmieMac']I'm just letting you know before I game, that you don't impress me or anyone else here, expect maybe that fat pig with the unibrow in the OTT that you seem to faun over at every opportunity.[/quote]
It is, fawn.

You show em boy! :roll:

[quote name='JimmieMac']I'm just letting you know before I game, that you don't impress me or anyone else here, expect maybe that fat pig with the unibrow in the OTT that you seem to faun over at every opportunity.[/quote]Impressing you is the last priority I have, so that fits perfectly into the scheme of things around. Nor is impressing anyone else on here.

Go game. Less posting for you.

[quote name='shrike4242']Clarification of what "if the mods did their jobs", as you see it, please?

I'm always curious to hear what the job of a mod is supposed to be.[/quote]

when you do your job right, it will be like you didnt do anything at all
-misquoted futurama episode

[quote name='InuFaye']Amazon is only allowed to ship certain media items to other countries.

They are not legally allowed to ship the shows to Japan.

[/quote]
Where did you get that information? According to Amazon they ship DVDs to Japan.

[quote name='Rocko']I don't think he was referring to you. ;)[/QUOTE]

fuckin' Mox has got me used to monobrow cracks, even though they're not really justified. You and Zew thought the same thing at first too though. :lol:

Haha, I knew/know who he is talking about.

I just said you name because Moxio is always crackin' on your monobrow. :lol:

I just popped my infraction cherry! Apparently, I can't accuse someone of having an uninitiated incestous relationship with their parents, without it being considered a "personal attack".

I call bullshit.

[quote name='Short Round']I just popped my infraction cherry! Apparently, I can't accuse someone of having an uninitiated incestous relationship with their parents, without it being considered a "personal attack".

I call bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Please keep your comments regarding the infraction system constructive. Complaints about infractions received are neither helpful or welcomed in this thread.

[quote name='Short Round']I just popped my infraction cherry! Apparently, I can't accuse someone of having an uninitiated incestous relationship with their parents, without it being considered a "personal attack".

I call bullshit.[/quote]
kleenexpu5.jpg

I'd like to throw in a vote of support for the new system. It seems to be working fine. Looks to me, the majority of people who are complaining about it are either (1) people who deserved to receive the infractions or (2) people who like to test lines and limits (much like a 2 year old with their parents. They know they aren't supposed to go outside w/o mommy's permission, so what if they just stick out one little toe? What about half their foot? etc.). I say the MODs keep up the good work.

[quote name='Warner1281']I'd like to throw in a vote of support for the new system. It seems to be working fine. Looks to me, the majority of people who are complaining about it are either (1) people who deserved to receive the infractions or (2) people who like to test lines and limits (much like a 2 year old with their parents. They know they aren't supposed to go outside w/o mommy's permission, so what if they just stick out one little toe? What about half their foot? etc.). I say the MODs keep up the good work.[/QUOTE]

I think you're way off.

I call bullshit.[/quote]

Don't complain about Infractions. Learn to Love.

[quote name='daphatty']Please keep your comments regarding the infraction system constructive. Complaints about infractions received are neither helpful or welcomed in this thread.[/quote]
I think he was joking.

[quote name='munch']I think you're way off.[/quote]

I think you are right.

Just hoping that we can have a mature discussion of the topic without blatant ad hominem attacks. I still maintain that it is flawed in the capacity that it allows a much higher centralization of power and that infractions are unable to be appealed. If the rules (or at least their interpretation) were uniformly interpreted in a less stringent fashion and handed out for obvious offenses, as opposed to being rather arbitrarily enforced along some blurry gradient without any clearly-defined area of offense for mods or us normal folk, the system would have potential. At the moment, it seems a bit imbalanced.

I'm expecting a mod to come in here and close this down with some sort of "we already gave you a chance to discuss this and no one said anything worthwhile" attitude, since the last thread was seemingly ignored in terms of any kind of honest criticism.

[quote name='Strell']I'm expecting a mod to come in here and close this down with some sort of "we already gave you a chance to discuss this and no one said anything worthwhile" attitude, since the last thread was seemingly ignored in terms of any kind of honest criticism.[/QUOTE]

Word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back