CAG Infraction System Now Active (Beta/Trial)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tagging this thread to watch the OP for changes/modifications as the system is tweaked.

So basically it's like the driver's license pts. You get pts based on the severity of the violation. Too many pts and you get your posting privileges revoked.

PROS: Great way to weed out the fire starters. Makes the mods job a little easier by making the repeat offenders more visible to them.

CONS: The biggest problem I have with this is it's very subjective one two levels...
1) All it takes is for one person to be offended by a post to get something reported.
2) From there it's up to the mod. They get to play judge, jury, and executioner distributing "justice" however they see fit.

Is there any way there could be an appeals process incorporated as sort of a checks & balances system?

EDIT: Oh and I forgot I wanted to ask about my signature. What are the parameters? How large is too large?

[quote name='help1']Lets hope that the mods here don't go power hungry, like the mods over there.[/QUOTE]

I find it amusing that you think we have more powers with this new system. Our moderating abilities are no different than before. We just have a better way of communicating. If you choose to worry about that... Well, so be it.

[quote name='The Crotch']Can silenced people still send/receive PMs?[/QUOTE]

Good question.

[quote name='mguiddy']Regarding "Facilitating Piracy"

I do hope we're informed as to the official policy once it's final.[/QUOTE]

Of course.

[quote name='JJSP']Does the piracy/bootlegging extend to the wrestling thread (i.e. posting uploads of matches and such)?[/QUOTE]

Well now isn't this a juicy tidbit of information. I need to look into this.

What's the point of a zero point infraction?

[quote name='daphatty']Well now isn't this a juicy tidbit of information. I need to look into this.[/QUOTE]Settle down.

How many points does someone get if they create an alter, like to play a joke on someone? I know people get bannings for doing that, but I didn't see that listed.

Can someone do a search of jollydwarf's posts in the Wii forum only? Where I sit, nearly every post he makes there has an inflammatory/trolling theme, frequently making reference to 'zealots'.

Ex post facto,

("Dump" button hit)

luck with your issues and pointless obsessions, and to all else, Happy Easter!

[quote name='Wet Ninja']Here are the signature guidelines (from the CAG FAQ - button at top of page):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/faq.php?faq=cag_faq_item#faq_signature[/quote]

"Please keep the dimension of your images under 200 pixels high and the total size of all your images under 50KB. Signatures only appear once per page. You must have been registered for 30 days in order to create a signature."

For the record, there's a small inaccuracy (though it doesn't change guidelines). Ever since the upgrade a month or 2 ago, sigs appear on every post on a page, not just the 1st time they post. Not sure if anyone cares enough to update the listing, or somehow revert it back to the once per page thing.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']How many points does someone get if they create an alter, like to play a joke on someone? I know people get bannings for doing that, but I didn't see that listed.[/QUOTE]

We haven't set a point structure for this violation for two reasons.

1) It doesn't happen very often.
2) When it does occur, it is still an offense that could get you banned, regardless of your point count.

The severity of the punishment will depend on the intent of the user and how blatantly disruptive the actions of said user are.

[quote name='Liquid 2']What's the point of a zero point infraction?[/quote]
I'm guessing it's because they get a PM letting them know it's in the wrong forum and since it's not a big deal, it doesn't need to be worth any points.

"Proper contributions to CheapAssGamer.com are welcomed by registered users. You agree not use the Site in any way to: [...] k. post, email, transmit or otherwise make available information on the acquisition of pirated software, as well as software or hardware which enables the use of pirated software"

Does this apply to "Shipwreck’s Guide To Half-Priced Xbox Live Arcade Games and Marketplace Content" ? and the PSN game sharing guides?

Ahh man...this is what actually led to me joining Cag (due to the same rules on Gamespot when I was bored outta my mind when I was temporallily banned)

Hopefully it's not as I bad as I think it's gunna be...

[quote name='Liquid 2']What's the point of a zero point infraction?[/QUOTE]

It's a way of giving a warning without issuing a point infraction. Not every violation will merit an infraction point.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Does this apply to "Shipwreck’s Guide To Half-Priced Xbox Live Arcade Games and Marketplace Content" ? and the PSN game sharing guides?[/QUOTE]

Haha! No way dood. That is a CAG staple. That's going nowhere.

On a side note, can I express how much I love the new system? It is awesome! Would you believe there are folks that have already started accruing points?

[quote name='daphatty']Haha! No way dood. That is a CAG staple. That's going nowhere.[/QUOTE]

Concerns about the objectivity of this system confirmed.

Lock 'em up, or get rid of the relevant infraction. They're not compatible.

Dood!

[quote name='Liquid 2']Concerns about the objectivity of this system confirmed.

Dood![/QUOTE]

Well I could have told you that would be the way of it before Daphatty confirmed it.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']

Does this apply to "Shipwreck’s Guide To Half-Priced Xbox Live Arcade Games and Marketplace Content" ? and the PSN game sharing guides?[/quote]

[quote name='Liquid 2']Concerns about the objectivity of this system confirmed.

Dood![/quote]

There is nothing about these threads that facilitates piracy nor violates either Microsoft's or Sony's Terms of Service.

I find it a bit laughable that a few people are complaining about this infraction system as not being objective or giving the mods too much power. Previously, users would just log into their account and find themselves banned...at least now you get very clear (and recorded) warnings and have to be completely oblivious to find yourself in that situation.

Maybe it would be fair to wait more than day or two before passing judgment on this system. After all, its got to be an improvement over no system at all.
It is a work in progress and an ounce of patience (and perhaps less negativity) would be appreciated.

[quote name='CheapyD']There is nothing about these threads that facilitates piracy nor violates either Microsoft's or Sony's Terms of Service.

I find it a bit laughable that a few people are complaining about this infraction system as not being objective or giving the mods too much power. Previously, users would just log into their account and find themselves banned...at least now you get very clear (and recorded) warnings and have to be completely oblivious to find yourself in that situation.

Maybe it would be fair to wait more than day or two before passing judgment on this system. After all, its got to be an improvement over no system at all.
It is a work in progress and an ounce of patience (and perhaps less negativity) would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

takethat.gif

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

If all this system does is encourage people to think twice and re-read what they've written before they hit the post button, CAG will be a better place.

We're all guilty of not following such advice.

Some skepticism is fine, if for no other reason than to avoid blind acceptance (of anything). I'll reserve forming an opinion, though, until I've seen it in action. daphatty's enthusiasm is kinda creepin' me out, though.;)

[quote name='neocisco']daphatty's enthusiasm is kinda creepin' me out, though.;)[/QUOTE]

Anything that increases my fun time on these boards is a good thing. While moderating has its privileges, it is rarely fun. I'd rather debate the benefits of a good PC gaming rig over a console.

[quote name='botticus']If all this system does is encourage people to think twice and re-read what they've written before they hit the post button, CAG will be a better place.

We're all guilty of not following such advice.[/quote]

agreed 100%

Botticus took the words right out of my mouth.

[quote name='CheapyD']There is nothing about these threads that facilitates piracy nor violates either Microsoft's or Sony's Terms of Service.[/QUOTE]Getting games that one hasn't paid for =/= piracy/theft?

Okay then.

[quote name='Silent Assassin120']I never got a PM when I got points added to me.[/quote]Sorry about that...there was a bug in the system. I just made the file changes and it is now working properly.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Getting games that one hasn't paid for =/= piracy/theft?

Okay then.[/quote]Correct.

Please do me a favor and refrain from posting here just for the sake of busting my balls. It's really getting on my nerves.

This is the shit that I don't understand. Why do some of you just feel the need to act like a bunch of assholes?

All this is, is just a system mainly for the mods. I do believe that yes, some users will be immune to this, but for the people whom normally get temp banned, or have posts reported/deleted it can finally put an end to some of them.

I just don't see why everyone has to fight the system. It's really not a big deal. I also don't see why everyone has to make fun of Daphatty because "he takes his job too seriously". All forums NEED mods like Daphatty. You *NEED* people to care about the forum, and not to just have the ability to move threads and delete posts and ban people. I see nothing wrong with genuinely loving to be apart of an online forum/community. I enjoy logging into CAG everyday, checking deals, headin to different forums/sub forums and talking & complaining about various shit. Why does there have to be *so* much negativity? (LOL is that a word? If not, I'm sure some grammar nazi on the board will be more than happy to correct it!1 :roll: )

I think users should be banned for being pricks on NUMEROUS occasions.

[quote name='lilboo']This is the shit that I don't understand. Why do some of you just feel the need to act like a bunch of assholes?

All this is, is just a system mainly for the mods. I do believe that yes, some users will be immune to this, but for the people whom normally get temp banned, or have posts reported/deleted it can finally put an end to some of them.

I just don't see why everyone has to fight the system. It's really not a big deal. I also don't see why everyone has to make fun of Daphatty because "he takes his job too seriously". All forums NEED mods like Daphatty. You *NEED* people to care about the forum, and not to just have the ability to move threads and delete posts and ban people. I see nothing wrong with genuinely loving to be apart of an online forum/community. I enjoy logging into CAG everyday, checking deals, headin to different forums/sub forums and talking & complaining about various shit. Why does there have to be *so* much negativity? (LOL is that a word? If not, I'm sure some grammar nazi on the board will be more than happy to correct it!1 :roll: )

I think users should be banned for being pricks on NUMEROUS occasions.[/quote]

I think gays should be banned as well, but hey we don't get what we want all the time now do we?

[quote name='lilboo']This is the shit that I don't understand. Why do some of you just feel the need to act like a bunch of assholes?

I think users should be banned for being pricks on NUMEROUS occasions.[/quote]

"Negativity" is a word.

I would assume you aren't referring to me, but you did mention my concern that I had already voiced. There are a few members here who are definitely friendlier with the mods than other members, and some of these members are complete assholes to just about everybody. Those people, I fear, will continue to go unpunished and not even get reprimanded.

[quote name='prmononoke']"Negativity" is a word.

I would assume you aren't referring to me, but you did mention my concern that I had already voiced. There are a few members here who are definitely friendlier with the mods than other members, and some of these members are complete assholes to just about everybody. Those people, I fear, will continue to go unpunished and not even get reprimanded.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: Thanks. At 2:30am all my brain cells have been long asleep and I forget what's right and what's not. Thinking about it NOW, negativity is very much a word :lol:

No, I wasn't referring to you as one of the assholes. This system has been up and running for what, 2 days, and the complaints and the rebellion just rolled in QUICK. Too many people just seemed to want to challenge the system and that's pretty much it.

I was only pointing out what you did say and agreed with it. The whole infraction system, to me, is great but it takes the mods to say "Hey, that is a really bad post. *2 points*". If they like the poster, they probably won't do anything about it. Thus, allowing some of the few pain in the asses to continue to be just that around here.

What I want to know is this. If a member makes a questionable post and it gets reported and there are currently 3 mods on at the time, what if 2 mods don't think that it counts as offensive, but the other one does? Can the 1 mod give them the points, but since the other 2 disagree..reverse that? :dunce:

I think I'm confusing myself here, sorry.

[quote name='prmononoke']There are a few members here who are definitely friendlier with the mods than other members, and some of these members are complete assholes to just about everybody. Those people, I fear, will continue to go unpunished and not even get reprimanded.[/QUOTE]

Fear not. This new system will either discourage those individuals from repeating past mistakes or encourage them to hang themselves. Some have already begun the walk down that dark path. FWIW, change is here and the end result is all good.

[quote name='lilboo']No, I wasn't referring to you as one of the assholes. This system has been up and running for what, 2 days, and the complaints and the rebellion just rolled in QUICK. Too many people just seemed to want to challenge the system and that's pretty much it.[/QUOTE]

So far, the only people who are "challenging" the new system have had a history here and therefore have a reason to fear the new system. We can keep MUCH BETTER tabs on them now and they don't like that.

I was only pointing out what you did say and agreed with it. The whole infraction system, to me, is great but it takes the mods to say "Hey, that is a really bad post. *2 points*". If they like the poster, they probably won't do anything about it. Thus, allowing some of the few pain in the asses to continue to be just that around here.

What I want to know is this. If a member makes a questionable post and it gets reported and there are currently 3 mods on at the time, what if 2 mods don't think that it counts as offensive, but the other one does? Can the 1 mod give them the points, but since the other 2 disagree..reverse that? :dunce:

I'm trying to follow you as best I can so bear with me if I don't answer your question properly. We generally reserve the "discipline by democracy" approach to frequent offenders or severe cases. Otherwise, reported posts are first come first served. Whichever mod gets to the post first is the mod who makes the decision on how best to deal with it. That may seem quite arbitrary, and frankly it is. But if your post offended someone on these boards then you probably didn't put enough thought into how your post would impact other members on this board.

Now, that isn't to say that we always act on every reported post. There have been numerous occasions where a reported post really isn't a big deal and nothing is done. As much as people may not like it, we can think for ourselves and can easily determine which reported posts warrant action and which do not.

I think I am beginning to sound like a broken record on this subject. Hopefully I've answered everyone's questions. I encourage any newcomers to go back through the thread and read my responses. They should be enlightening. And seriously, if you didn't fear us before then you have no reason to fear us now. Our "powers" have not changed. We just have a more efficient way of taking out the trash.

[quote name='CheapyD']I find it a bit laughable that a few people are complaining about this infraction system as not being objective or giving the mods too much power. Previously, users would just log into their account and find themselves banned...at least now you get very clear (and recorded) warnings and have to be completely oblivious to find yourself in that situation.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. But it looks like daphatty is gonna go ape shit with it, scouring for violations -- or, specifically, rounding things off into violations. (For instance: Ball-busting in the OTT.)

That is akin to getting pulled over, in the middle of the night, for not using your blinker.

Granted, I don't know if he's gonna do that, or not... but I can see that he's pitching a tent from here.

i think people should wait and see how it plays out - we can speculate all we want about the jobs the mods WILL do and how the system WILL work, but christ, it's only been a few days.

People complain about this place being full of assholes, and then when a solution comes up, they complain about it being too controlled.

This place is WAAAY less moderated than most forums, and I think that this is a good way to keep things civil without really locking down.

[quote name='CheapyD']

It is a work in progress and an ounce of patience (and perhaps less negativity) would be appreciated.[/quote]

I hear what your saying Cheapy. Having this system in place is better than no system at all. Instead of a person just logging in one day and seeing they've been banned they will get some sort of warning (unless they get pegged with several infractions or one major infraction one day while they're signed off).

Along with improving the system so the mods can do their job members should have an appeals process to balance things out IMHO. Who's policing the police?
What's to stop a mod from becoming a rouge agent firing off points like crazy one day?

I don't know the mods that well on this site so I'm certainly not pointing the finger at anyone. My point is that in the current system there is no way to stop this and no recourse if a member is unfairly targeted.

Anyone know how I can activate "God Mode" over here on this side of the UI?

Y'all need to get some more specified mods for certain areas. Like DMK suggests, there's still an ample amount of whining/trolling in the Wii forums (far more than in the PS3 forums at this point, IMO).

Also, I'm concerned about the one thing many CAGs are getting irritated by that seems to be unrecognized here: the smarmy asshole posts that aren't, on the whole, incorrect. You know the ones: they're, at their base, helpful. "You've posted in the wrong forum or area/this deal is already linked elsewhere/this deal isn't really noteworthy sorts of threads" posts - but those absolutely DRENCHED in smarmy anonymous internet asshole. So, while ultimately helpful and proper at its base in helping maintain the organization and flow of this site, the sort of "shitcock" posts letting someone know their GCO deal isn't really a deal, or that their freeipods link belongs over here - that's what people are starting to hate.

Like CAG suddenly went to fuckin' finishing school and gets mad if a new user tries to post a deal by using the wrong salad fork, y'know?

So where does this stuff lie: ultimately, it's "helpful" or the sort of content people need to find direction here, but steeped in a lousy and elitist attitude that drives kids away from this site.

[quote name='mykevermin']
Also, I'm concerned about the one thing many CAGs are getting irritated by that seems to be unrecognized here: the smarmy asshole posts that aren't, on the whole, incorrect. You know the ones: they're, at their base, helpful. "You've posted in the wrong forum or area/this deal is already linked elsewhere/this deal isn't really noteworthy sorts of threads" posts - but those absolutely DRENCHED in smarmy anonymous internet asshole. So, while ultimately helpful and proper at its base in helping maintain the organization and flow of this site, the sort of "shitcock" posts letting someone know their GCO deal isn't really a deal, or that their freeipods link belongs over here - that's what people are starting to hate. [/QUOTE]I definitely agree. I was about to mention that myself because it really does irritate me. I can understand some newer members (who may not post much), might be a little intimidated to start a new thread (since they don't really know many people) and when they make some mistake, some regulars will jump on them making fun of them (by making smart remarks at them, posting pictures, making silly replies, rude replies, etc.), instead of just a wrong forum, or something more meaningful.

I just feel those threads should be left alone and up to the mods to take care of.

So this is an infraction/-1 point, right?

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4124558&postcount=18

free is free and you can never go wrong with free.. luckily though you can burn your own games for the dreamcast.. (its the only way you'll play some of its games)
:roll: Oh boy.

[quote name='daphatty'] So far, the only people who are "challenging" the new system have had a history here and therefore have a reason to fear the new system. We can keep MUCH BETTER tabs on them now and they don't like that.[/quote] : ( !!!

[quote name='lilboo']No, because he never said how to burn them. He never asked for a link to a site to learn how to/provided a link to learn how to burn them. Or where to even download the ISO's at.[/QUOTE]

Well since I'm nice I'll say they're downloaded from
The Internet

[quote name='whoknows']Well since I'm nice I'll say they're downloaded from
The Internet
[/quote]

ZOMGZORZ111 you should get like 10 points for promoting piracy like that :D

[quote name='whoknows']Well since I'm nice I'll say they're downloaded from
The Internet
[/quote]

Thats what I don't get.

Well I guess this means we can talk about piracy, just as long as its never stated where/how we got the game/music/whatever from... right?

[quote name='tiredfornow']Thats what I don't get.

Well I guess this means we can talk about piracy, just as long as its never stated where/how we got the game/music/whatever from... right?[/QUOTE]

Right. I double checked with main bald man himself.

change can be good.. it all matters how its handled on the mods end. i know i dont post much but i throw my 2 cents in whenever i see fit.

[quote name='mykevermin']
Also, I'm concerned about the one thing many CAGs are getting irritated by that seems to be unrecognized here: the smarmy asshole posts that aren't, on the whole, incorrect. You know the ones: they're, at their base, helpful. "You've posted in the wrong forum or area/this deal is already linked elsewhere/this deal isn't really noteworthy sorts of threads" posts - but those absolutely DRENCHED in smarmy anonymous internet asshole. So, while ultimately helpful and proper at its base in helping maintain the organization and flow of this site, the sort of "shitcock" posts letting someone know their GCO deal isn't really a deal, or that their freeipods link belongs over here - that's what people are starting to hate.

Like CAG suddenly went to fuckin' finishing school and gets mad if a new user tries to post a deal by using the wrong salad fork, y'know?
[/quote]I believe you are speaking of the dreaded...

ruleslawyersla1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back