CAG Infraction System Now Active (Beta/Trial)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='mykevermin']
Y'all need to get some more specified mods for certain areas. Like DMK suggests, there's still an ample amount of whining/trolling in the Wii forums (far more than in the PS3 forums at this point, IMO).
[/QUOTE]

Well, I am a guide (or pseudo-mod, if you will ;)) for the Nintendo area and I haven't seen much going on recently. I'd say it is much more calm than it used to be. I try to check the threads there at least once a day or so. I can tell you one thing - no posts have been reported from there recently, so it must not be too bad.

As for the whole infraction system, I don't really get the apprehension shown by some people here. I mean, it ought to be better than the seemingly arbitrary bans (though often these are discussed amongst the mods and are less arbitrary than apparent to regular members) that have been handed out in the past. In fact, I'd say it provides a little more accountability for the mods as there is a record of the infractions they've handed out. Plus Cheapy added the "silenced" state which I think is an excellent thing - let's people continue to read CAG and see deals and stuff but just shuts them up for a bit so they can cool off. It must be better than trying to get into CAG and finding you are banned (for what you may think is no apparent reason) and because you were completely shut out not being able to figure out why you were banned. If you get silenced you can still get in and via the infraction system find out WHY it happened.

I just noticed this in the Target Clearance thread:

[quote name='BigDirty']Also NO TRADE / PICK ME UP / I'M SELLING posts, as they will be deleted and you'll be seeing an infraction, use the Target Trading Thread for that.[/quote]

So, will trade/sale posts in the deals forum count as " Posted in Wrong Forum" and not generate points?

[quote name='help1']Sort of sounds like GameFAQs and Karma...

And yet everyone will love it. The irony.

Anyway, it is a good idea.[/QUOTE]

for once i agree with help1. will wonders never cease

[quote name='io']Well, I am a guide (or pseudo-mod, if you will ;)) for the Nintendo area and I haven't seen much going on recently. I'd say it is much more calm than it used to be. I try to check the threads there at least once a day or so. I can tell you one thing - no posts have been reported from there recently, so it must not be too bad.
[/quote]Yeah, the Wii forum has actually calmed down a lot lately. We're too busy playing Brawl to argue.

[quote name='lordwow']I received an infraction and did not receive a PM. That is all.[/QUOTE]

Any idea what it is for? I think for these initial infractions it would be nice to have the post marked so other posters know what type of comments are being moderated. If this is already happening, I may not have seen it.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Any idea what it is for? I think for these initial infractions it would be nice to have the post marked so other posters know what type of comments are being moderated. If this is already happening, I may not have seen it.[/QUOTE]

Yes it states what it is for, "trolling/disruptive post."

[quote name='CheapyD']There is nothing about these threads that facilitates piracy nor violates either Microsoft's or Sony's Terms of Service.

I find it a bit laughable that a few people are complaining about this infraction system as not being objective or giving the mods too much power. Previously, users would just log into their account and find themselves banned...at least now you get very clear (and recorded) warnings and have to be completely oblivious to find yourself in that situation.

Maybe it would be fair to wait more than day or two before passing judgment on this system. After all, its got to be an improvement over no system at all.
It is a work in progress and an ounce of patience (and perhaps less negativity) would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CheapyD']Sorry about that...there was a bug in the system. I just made the file changes and it is now working properly.

Correct.

Please do me a favor and refrain from posting here just for the sake of busting my balls. It's really getting on my nerves.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Xbox.com']
3. HOW AND WHEN YOU MAY USE THE SERVICE
We provide the Service for your personal use. You may not use the Service for commercial purposes or in a way that is against the law. You also may not use it in a way that harms us or our affiliates, resellers, distributors, service providers, partners and/or suppliers (collectively, the "Microsoft Parties"), or any customer of a Microsoft Party. Some examples of harmful activity that we do not permit include: (i) trying to gain access to any account, computers, hardware or networks related to this Service without authorization; (ii) disrupting accounts, computers, hardware or networks related to the Service; (iii) obtaining or trying to obtain any data through any means from the Service, except if we intend to provide or make it available to you; (iv) using the Service or related hardware to obtain any data to design, develop or update unauthorized software that you use or provide to others to access or use in connection with the Service; (v) charging others to use the Service either directly or indirectly; (vi) using or distributing unauthorized cheats, macros or scripts; (vii) exploiting any bug, or making unauthorized modifications to any software or data, in the Service or particular game to gain unfair advantage in a game.

10. SOFTWARE; INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
We and our suppliers grant you a personal, non-exclusive, revocable license to use the software and associated content (e.g., text, images, video, graphics, music, sound) made available to you on this Service only for and during the authorized use of this Service and/or the game or other product to which the software and content relate. You may not copy, download, modify or create derivative works, publish, transmit, sell or attempt to sell or transfer, or otherwise use or exploit any software or associated content unless we or our suppliers have expressly allowed you to do so.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='PSN']
7. PURCHASES AND TRANSACTIONS
All purchases and transactions on or through the PSN, including transactions made through the PLAYSTATION®Store are made solely between you and SCEA. By completing a transaction through your master account or allowing a transaction to take place through an associated Sub Account, you are (i) agreeing to pay for all purchases made by the Master Account and its associated Sub Accounts; (ii) authorizing SCEA to deduct from the wallet all applicable fees due and payable for all purchases made by the Master Account and its associated Sub Accounts; and (iii) agreeing to any applicable Service Agreement and the terms of service associated with the particular content, subject to Section 4 above. All sales are final. Content or services are not refundable or transferable, and cannot be redeemed for cash, credit, or funds to your wallet. SCEA reserves the right to deduct from the wallet any amount resulting from a Master Account holder’s request to the Master Account holder’s credit card company to reverse charges for a purchase on the PSN. SCEA also reserves the right to terminate the Master Account and all Sub Accounts associated with the Master Account. In lieu of termination of the Master Account in such circumstances, SCEA may elect to provide a mechanism by which a Master Account may fund the wallet to prevent the Master Account and its associated Sub Accounts from being terminated. All transactions are made in the currency of your country of residence. Features, specifications, prices, items offered for sale and services are subject to change or withdrawal at any time and SCEA does not provide any refunds in the event of a price drop or a subsequent promotional offering. Special product, service offerings, prices and promotions displayed on the PSN are no longer valid once they are changed or removed from PSN. Prices listed do not include sales tax. Applicable sales tax will be calculated and added at the time you purchase the item or service. All sales are subject to the laws of the State of California, County of San Mateo.

8. GENERAL LICENSE RESTRICTIONS AND TERMS
All content and software provided through PSN are licensed non-exclusively and revocably to you, your children and children for whom you are a legal guardian (collectively for purposes of this section, “You” or “Your”), solely for Your personal, non-commercial use on the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, the PSP®(PlayStation®Portable) system, and any other hardware devices authorized by SCEA in the United States or Canada, subject to the terms of this Agreement. All intellectual property rights subsisting in the PSN, including but not limited to, all software, data, and content subsisting in or connection with the operation of PSN, the Online ID, the products and services offered on or through PSN and hardware used in connection with PSN (collectively defined as “Property”), belong to SCEA and its licensors. All use or access to such Property shall be subject to the terms of this Agreement and all applicable copyright and other intellectual property rights laws. You may not sell, rent, sublicense, modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble any portion of the Property. Except as otherwise expressly permitted by SCEA in writing, you may not reproduce or transfer any portion of the Property. You may not create any derivative works, attempt to create the source code from the object code, or download or use any Property for any purpose other than game play or other SCEA authorized use. Property is not licensed for resale or for public performance. Except as expressly granted in this Agreement, SCEA and its licensors reserve all rights, interests, and remedies in connection with PSN and the Property.

[/QUOTE]

Think that about covers it.

[quote name='lordwow']I received an infraction and did not receive a PM. That is all.[/quote]Your infraction occurred before I fixed the PM bug.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Think that about covers it.[/quote]I respectfully disagree with your interpretation.

I'm holding out for a "Grievous or blatant misuse of the English language" penalty.

If "trolling" or "disruptive" posting is against Cheapy Law resulting in a surreptitious banning, then being a general idiot by making hackneyed threads with bad grammar and no punctuation should be cause for an equal punishment.

[quote name='CheapyD']
I respectfully disagree with your interpretation.[/QUOTE]

I say we find out for sure. Contact both companies and see what they have to say.

http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/news/2006/10/71982

Sony announced that players who download games from PlayStation's online shop can share them on up to five other PS3 machines.

If a player logs into his PlayStation 3 account on a friend's system, he can download any game he has already purchased. "You can send that content to four other friends for that initial investment," said Tretton. "We want to get the game in as many hands as possible." "It's not about generating profits at each and every interaction with the consumer," he said. "I think that really offsets the argument that says, 'Wow, that's a really pricey system.'"

Tretton = Jack Tretton, Executive VP of Sony Computer Entertainment America

CheapyD is the law

dreddss.jpg

While I don't really understand this whole gamesharing issue, I have to agree with Cheapy on one thing here, which is that this is making the entire process more transparent. I don't really understand the complaints, the alternative is going back to a system where mods maybe PM you a warning or just ban you, and possibly you're not aware of the fact you're moving towards being banned.

Nearly every corporation/group tries to make their actions more transparent as it's in the best interests of everyone.

What exactly are you guys trying to accomplish?

Find a contradiction in this site's rules? That thread is clearly not providing "pirated content", it's rather information that details how to use content that is legally purchased on more than one profile, Microsoft designed the 360 to work this way.

Maybe I missed it but there has to be some kind of exception for the Vs. forum, right?

Without controversial and/or personal attack posts, you might as well close the form down altogether.

[quote name='yukine']What exactly are you guys trying to accomplish?

Find a contradiction in this site's rules? That thread is clearly not providing "pirated content", it's rather information that details how to use content that is legally purchased on more than one profile, Microsoft designed the 360 to work this way.[/QUOTE]

That's not the intent or purpose of that, and you know it.

The real point I'm trying to make is that this whole thing is flawed. You have very questionable things that are allowed, because certain people benefit.

But we can't have someone being a smartass, good lord no. +1 for trolling on me, I'm sure.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']That's not the intent or purpose of that, and you know it.

The real point I'm trying to make is that this whole thing is flawed. You have very questionable things that are allowed, because certain people benefit.

But we can't have someone being a smartass, good lord no. +1 for trolling on me, I'm sure.[/QUOTE]
infractionnz1.gif

[quote name='daphatty']Fear not. This new system will either discourage those individuals from repeating past mistakes or encourage them to hang themselves. Some have already begun the walk down that dark path. FWIW, change is here and the end result is all good.[/quote]

I hope so. I'll assume you know who I'm talking about (one of these people happens to have won an award this year).

[quote name='CocheseUGA']
The real point I'm trying to make is that this whole thing is flawed. You have very questionable things that are allowed, because certain people benefit.[/quote]
I'm not really sure what that means, but I guess it sounds a lot like real life.
Like I said earlier, let's wait more than a day or two before we condemn the whole system. Clearly it must be better than no system at all.

Cheapy - everything you do sucks, nothing is ever done right, I'm going to point out every flaw/mistake, you suck as a dad

- signed Tai...

just kidding..

[quote name='CheapyD']I'm not really sure what that means, but I guess it sounds a lot like real life.
Like I said earlier, let's wait more than a day or two before we condemn the whole system. Clearly it must be better than no system at all.[/QUOTE]

So that makes it ok? :roll:

I know, let's give people 'infractions' for berating people that they've posted in the wrong forum, or calling someone a douche, but we'll leave the talk about piracy, or show people how to mod their Xbox alone.

Good call. If that's the way the system is going to work, we don't need to wait for it to flesh out. It already has.

We do not allow discussions that facilitate piracy. It is against our Terms of Service and there is an infraction listed for it in the OP. Any posts that meet that criteria should be reported.

Good night.

[quote name='CheapyD']http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/news/2006/10/71982

Tretton = Jack Tretton, Executive VP of Sony Computer Entertainment America[/quote]Yeah, that was an unfortunate thing for him to say.
But in context, Sony did EVERYTHING they could, including Tretton talking about this license loophole, to downplay the overall price of the system.

$599!

This point is moot now that I see actual devs state in interview that they wish people wouldn't gameshare their games.
I can dig up the PixelJunk interview if anyone wants it.

This sharing loophole of PSN games isn't right, in the same way it isn't right we still have that thread about sharing Amazon Prime accounts as it's pretty much the same thing and against Amazon TOS.

I was warned for offering to help hook up CAGs with clearanced games.

Epic failure on the mods use of the system in my experience.

[quote name='djkunai']I was warned for offering to help hook up CAGs with clearanced games.

Epic failure on the mods use of the system in my experience.[/quote]

Would you prefer I take away the warning for your "attempt to hook people up" and give you one for this instead?

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4115692#post4115692

No hooking up there... just an attempt to set up a trade in the deal thread.

And the thread you made offering to sell copies of SSBB to people overseas, in the European forum (For Sale post outside of the trade forum)? Quit making yourself out to be a martyr.

[quote name='sp00ge']Would you prefer I take away the warning for your "attempt to hook people up" and give you one for this instead?

No hooking up there... just an attempt to set up a trade in the deal thread.[/quote]
To be fair that post was made before (by two hours) Cheapy announced the new system. Sure it was against the rules then too but if people were given points on all their old posts cag would be a lonely place for a while.

[quote name='sp00ge']Would you prefer I take away the warning for your "attempt to hook people up" and give you one for this instead?

No hooking up there... just an attempt to set up a trade in the deal thread.

And the thread you made offering to sell copies of SSBB to people overseas, in the European forum (For Sale post outside of the trade forum)? Quit making yourself out to be a martyr.[/quote]

With the new warning system there came a surge of mods going on a power trip, especially in this case where a mod is threatening to warn me for something that happened prior to the establishment of the new system.

[quote name='djkunai']With the new warning system there came a surge of mods going on a power trip, especially in this case where a mod is threatening to warn me for something that happened prior to the establishment of the new system.[/QUOTE]

djkunai, you aren't banned and you didn't even get any points assigned to your single infraction (just a warning). I would suggest you drop this...

[quote name='io']djkunai, you aren't banned and you didn't even get any points assigned to your single infraction (just a warning). I would suggest you drop this...[/quote]

Okay fine.

[quote name='io']djkunai, you aren't banned and you didn't even get any points assigned to your single infraction (just a warning). I would suggest you drop this...[/QUOTE]

It's a stupid policy, one that was better before it was enforced.

Even if he drops it, I'm not going to.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']It's a stupid policy, one that was better before it was enforced.

Even if he drops it, I'm not going to.[/QUOTE]

yeah, you show him, because everyone gives a flying fuck about your opinion.

Tell it to the man on his website that he owns that you hang out on and don't do shit for!

You should stand up and fight for something somewhere where people will listen to you... like... uh...

djkunai,

I understand where you're coming from...it makes sense really it does. But from our perspective, if we let you do it, when other users who do it and and ask for a couple bucks or more for profit/gas money/going through the trouble...etc. then it's not really being fair, if we shut them down, or give infractions when we let you do it.

My suggestion would be to start/update a trade thread with your CAG Heroic Deals, put a little sentence in your sig about it with a link to it, and take care of it on the trade forums to avoid any unnecessary troubles.

I'd be interesting in seeing who's getting warned, how many points they've received, and specifically what they were flagged for.

I've though about starting a discussion thread where members could share their stories if they'd like to since the warning system is private (and rightfully so). I hesitate to do so because I'm sure it would be deemed inflammatory and I would be penalized.

Contrary to the conventional wisdom, the mods have been very cautious in using the new system so far. Yes, several warnings have been handed out, but very few (if any) actual point infractions have been given.

Chitown021 - while in theory that could be a good idea, I'm sure it would just degenerate into a mod bitch-fest and that wouldn't be productive for anyone ;).

[quote name='io']djkunai, you aren't banned and you didn't even get any points assigned to your single infraction (just a warning). I would suggest you drop this...[/quote]
Scare tactics? Just because he didn't get any 'points' this time doesn't mean he won't in the future for something that shouldn't really be discouraged.

[quote name='Rocko']Scare tactics? Just because he didn't get any 'points' this time doesn't mean he won't in the future for something that shouldn't really be discouraged.[/QUOTE]

Not at all - just trying to be helpful. There was more going on than just this thread.

Posted in Wrong Forum - 0 points - 7 Days

Theoretically, I could post in the wrong forum a million times and never get a warning point. Of course there's no point in posting a million times in the wrong forum, but once every 7 days would keep me out of the cumulative time that is set. I'm still waiting for Cheapy to respond to my PM (not sure he will...).

It's not to get in you trouble, it's to make you aware you're posting in the wrong forum.

Mostly for new users I would guess.

[quote name='io']
Chitown021 - while in theory that could be a good idea, I'm sure it would just degenerate into a mod bitch-fest and that wouldn't be productive for anyone ;).[/quote]

Good point. My intention would be just to get specific examples of what's being viewed as offensive but I could see the thread going south in a hurry.

[quote name='Chitown021']Good point. My intention would be just to get specific examples of what's being viewed as offensive but I could see the thread going south in a hurry.[/quote]

Cheapy or one of the mods should put together a post that lists several examples of what is bad and why.

[quote name='mguiddy']Cheapy or one of the mods should put together a post that lists several examples of what is bad and why.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. How strict is my main question. A lot of the fun of the threads here are the snarky nature of the posts that (to me) fairly light hearted. I'd hate to see every one of those get moderated.

[quote name='mguiddy']Cheapy or one of the mods should put together a post that lists several examples of what is bad and why.[/quote]

What if someone links to a hosted image, and the person hosting is a CAG member who purposely changes the image to a pornographic one just to get the other member in trouble?

[quote name='djkunai']What if someone links to a hosted image, and the person hosting is a CAG member who purposely changes the image to a pornographic one just to get the other member in trouble?[/quote]

You should be hosting your own images anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back