CAG Lord of the Rings Online Kinship

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Unless anyone has an issue with it ill head up the kinship. I've ran guilds on WOW, DAoC, Aion, and EQ2 in the past so i am fairly familiar with it.[/QUOTE]

I am issuing a formal challenge to yuo.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Unless anyone has an issue with it ill head up the kinship. I've ran guilds on WOW, DAoC, Aion, and EQ2 in the past so i am fairly familiar with it.[/QUOTE]

I'm cool with joining a casual guild. If it turns into some type 'serious' guild/clan - With meeting times and BS events than you can give that to the birds. I prefer to join adult guilds in which everything is kept in perspectives and we play for fun and nothing more. No beggers, No fillers, No exploiters and No emotional gamers please :bouncy:

[quote name='Megazell']I'm cool with joining a casual guild. If it turns into some type 'serious' guild/clan - With meeting times and BS events than you can give that to the birds. I prefer to join adult guilds in which everything is kept in perspectives and we play for fun and nothing more. No beggers, No fillers, No exploiters and No emotional gamers please :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Does no emotional gamers mean I can't cry while I play? And shouldn't you say a mature guild? Because not everyone annoying on the internet is a little kid.

I am actually thinking semi-casual guild. Mainly using it as a way to stay in touch, provide help when needed, and organize (optional) events like if some of us want to get together for a raid or large quest.

Like Kaltic said earlier one of the things about now being F2P is that you don't have to feel like you should be playing constantly if you don't want too in order to get your money's worth out of the sub fee. So I imagine people will not be playing as stringently as they might on a paid game.

I personally work from home and play a lot while I am working on other items which is the only reason I have played so many MMOs in the past.

I do however wish the game would let me in now :bomb:. The Client server seems to be bugged out for a good many people according to the official forum. Myself included.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']I am actually thinking semi-casual guild. Mainly using it as a way to stay in touch, provide help when needed, and organize (optional) events like if some of us want to get together for a raid or large quest.

Like Kaltic said earlier one of the things about now being F2P is that you don't have to feel like you should be playing constantly if you don't want too in order to get your money's worth out of the sub fee. So I imagine people will not be playing as stringently as they might on a paid game.

I personally work from home and play a lot while I am working on other items which is the only reason I have played so many MMOs in the past.

I do however wish the game would let me in now :bomb:. The Client server seems to be bugged out for a good many people according to the official forum. Myself included.[/QUOTE]

If the lines are still as long as they were a couple hours ago then it would still take you roughly an hour waiting to get in (On any server). I was frustrated with the long wait so I just quit out, but am happy now because it got me to do some homework.

EDIT: Me and majority of the people on the forums are really hoping Turbine picks stuff up and sorts all the server issues out (disconnects, lag, and server capacity has been reached... so add more servers).

[quote name='Kaltic']If the lines are still as long as they were a couple hours ago then it would still take you roughly an hour waiting to get in (On any server). I was frustrated with the long wait so I just quit out, but am happy now because it got me to do some homework.

EDIT: Me and majority of the people on the forums are really hoping Turbine picks stuff up and sorts all the server issues out (disconnects, lag, and server capacity has been reached... so add more servers).[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm not even making it that far. Seems like alot of people are getting stuck now at the Checking Game Files part of loading the launcher. Not even able to get to the point to select a server to wait for.

[quote name='Megazell']I'm cool with joining a casual guild. If it turns into some type 'serious' guild/clan - With meeting times and BS events than you can give that to the birds. I prefer to join adult guilds in which everything is kept in perspectives and we play for fun and nothing more. No beggers, No fillers, No exploiters and No emotional gamers please :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Exact same for me.

I've been stuck at the Examining Programs part of the update part of the launcher for a long while. I've been doing other stuff, but meh.

I agree with a previous poster as "mature" is a better use of wording. I don't want to see common trashy discussions like the OTT thread here at CAG or shit I'd see in Barrens chat in WoW.

Hey just started playing and the game seems cool so far. It might just be me, but does anyone else find that the game is kind of confusing when it comes to getting around or using the map? I used to play Guild Wars and from what I remember, when you got a quest, they would sorta mark it on your map and you could go trotting along your way, but maybe I'm just retarded but in this game they sorta just say where you are supposed to go and you sorta figure it out ?

[quote name='riddler']Hey just started playing and the game seems cool so far. It might just be me, but does anyone else find that the game is kind of confusing when it comes to getting around or using the map? I used to play Guild Wars and from what I remember, when you got a quest, they would sorta mark it on your map and you could go trotting along your way, but maybe I'm just retarded but in this game they sorta just say where you are supposed to go and you sorta figure it out ?[/QUOTE]

It's pretty easy and intuitive compared to the original release of the game years ago. When you have a quest being tracked, open up the map and mouse over it on the Quest Legend (it's dragable) and the area you need to head to blinks in the color indicated to the right of the quest in the legend. If you're turning the quest in rather than doing its requirements, it will be in the shape of a ring and it will blink too.

M is the hotkey to open the map.

[quote name='Draekon']It's pretty easy and intuitive compared to the original release of the game years ago. When you have a quest being tracked, open up the map and mouse over it on the Quest Legend (it's dragable) and the area you need to head to blinks in the color indicated to the right of the quest in the legend. If you're turning the quest in rather than doing its requirements, it will be in the shape of a ring and it will blink too.

M is the hotkey to open the map.[/QUOTE]

nice, thanks for the tip!

[quote name='Kaltic']Does no emotional gamers mean I can't cry while I play? And shouldn't you say a mature guild? Because not everyone annoying on the internet is a little kid.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Exact same for me.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Draekon']I agree with a previous poster as "mature" is a better use of wording. I don't want to see common trashy discussions like the OTT thread here at CAG or shit I'd see in Barrens chat in WoW.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps mature is a better word but I have found that playing with minors in an MMO may lead to all kinds of problems. Unless they are truly level headed and/or playing with a parent..which is quite rare.

Hopefully, this will be a cool and good time for all :)

[quote name='Megazell']Perhaps mature is a better word but I have found that playing with minors in an MMO may lead to all kinds of problems. Unless they are truly level headed and/or playing with a parent..which is quite rare.

Hopefully, this will be a cool and good time for all :)[/QUOTE]

Well I am saying that because I have never known myself to be annoying or to ever go crazy in an online game (real life maybe but not in game). With that said I am 20 right now, but even when I was younger I would usually be more silent when I played. So I know that kids can be and I also know that adults can be just as bad.

EDIT: And really little kids don't bother me. They always just repeat the same annoying thing every time. It has been easy to tone out (considering I play on Xbox Live especially). But things adults may say I am just not prepared for.

EDIT2: And as it goes the CAG community overall is far better than a lot of other sites (not counting clan or guild sites). For example I would never trust almost anyone from Gamespot.com to go in on a 4-pack during a steam sale with me. On CAG I never doubted the other person would follow through.

[quote name='Megazell']Perhaps mature is a better word but I have found that playing with minors in an MMO may lead to all kinds of problems. Unless they are truly level headed and/or playing with a parent..which is quite rare.

Hopefully, this will be a cool and good time for all :)[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'd have to agree with putting the emphasis on maturity over age because I've met plent of people younger than myself that I was able to learn a lot from and plenty of people older than myself that were annoyingly immature in spite of their age. A person's actions and attitude are what matter, not their age.

[quote name='Kaltic']Does no emotional gamers mean I can't cry while I play?[/QUOTE]

Getting emotional and swearing is fine with me, but I vote for banning anyone that cries ;). Crying is for losers and quitters. Winners either win, or get pissed off when they lose and try again. No crying allowed.

Of course, what you do offline is your own business. :whistle2:#

[quote name='DarkonJohn'] Winners win because not doing so makes you not a winner.[/QUOTE]

Decided to fix that for you.

EDIT: And to prove you wrong about crying. Watch any championship victory.... who isn't crying... Tears of joy are still tears.

Was able to log in to the server and finally start a character! Character's name is Rodhir, an elf hunter.

It's decently fun so far. But like all MMOs, it takes a little time to learn the ropes and the little ins and outs.

So this means we have enough people to make a kinship right? You only need 8 if I'm not mistaken. Including Duke we have 8 known main characters (and a few alts).

Yeah I just checked and I have 7 already on my friends list. So that makes 8 including myself.

Are we going with Citizens Against Gnomes for right now ? We can always change it later as well.

If we are able to change it later then I would say go for it. Unless it costs real cash to change it or something.

I'm quite happy with Citizens Against Gnomes, but if enough people don't like it or want something else, I'd be willing to have it changed.

Ehh .. its a small charge but I think most people were ok with this name anyway so I am going to go ahead and get it setup.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Ehh .. its a small charge but I think most people were ok with this name anyway so I am going to go ahead and get it setup.[/QUOTE]

Just shoot me a time in Eastern when you're going to be on today a little bit in advance and I'll try and get on even for a little bit to add to the roster.

[quote name='riddler']Getting around is such a pain. When can you get a horse?[/QUOTE]

If I remember right and it hasn't changed... level 20 and 35. I do think I heard people saying it's been reduced to level 5 but I don't know. Even if it has been reduced that low, it takes 500 silver or so to train horse riding.

EDIT: You also get a temporary 24 hour horse through the mail after completing the tutorial (optional) and newbie instance.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='riddler']Getting around is such a pain. When can you get a horse?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Draekon']If I remember right and it hasn't changed... level 20 and 35. I do think I heard people saying it's been reduced to level 5 but I don't know. Even if it has been reduced that low, it takes 500 silver or so to train horse riding.

EDIT: You also get a temporary 24 hour horse through the mail after completing the tutorial (optional) and newbie instance.[/QUOTE]

Yep. When you do the intro levels you get care packages with all kinds of goodies one of them is a horse for 24 hours. Real time. Not game time.

You can also talk to the stable master and get a ride to preset zones. You can stop at anytime but the horse is a 1 trip ticket for 1 silver.

[quote name='Megazell']You can also talk to the stable master and get a ride to preset zones. You can stop at anytime but the horse is a 1 trip ticket for 1 silver.[/QUOTE]

To go from Starter area (Elf) to Star area (Man), you need to use a free-travel item (you get one at the start through the mail). Future ones cost TP. I belive going from Elf to Dwarf isn't an issue though. Regardless at level 15'ish, they all end up in Bree anyhow.

EDIT: Premium/Free players need to pay for the basic mount training per character it looks like. Current listed price is 295 TP.

So are there going to be certain LOTRO game nights? Or specific times when we do some group quests or something along those lines?

I know TP stacks for your characters on the same server, but how about across different servers? I have a character on Brandywine but would love to play with my fellow CAGers. Earning universal TP would be a nice bonus.

[quote name='Megiddo_CAG']So are there going to be certain LOTRO game nights? Or specific times when we do some group quests or something along those lines?[/QUOTE]

Well I don't really have a set time that I'm going to be on. Whenever, really. Seeing as this game isn't costing me $15/month, I don't feel like I have to play 2+ hours a day to get my money's worth. But I definitely still want to be somewhat active.

[quote name='PhantomaZero']I know TP stacks for your characters on the same server, but how about across different servers? I have a character on Brandywine but would love to play with my fellow CAGers. Earning universal TP would be a nice bonus.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm...I know that if you buy a quest pack or something, that it's unlocked for your account rather than just your character/server. But I don't know if the TP you earn can be used a different server or not....

[quote name='PhantomaZero']I know TP stacks for your characters on the same server, but how about across different servers? I have a character on Brandywine but would love to play with my fellow CAGers. Earning universal TP would be a nice bonus.[/QUOTE]

It's shared across servers, the TP is tied to your account.

TP goes towards your LOTRO account not character. As such any points earned could be used on any character if you are buying character specific items.

[quote name='Guerrilla']It's not too hard to find the Collector's Edition of Mines of Moria Complete for only a few dollars more, which includes:
647498b.jpg

• Unique premium book packaging
  • 3 in-game item tokens that can be used to pick from 8 different in-game items
  • 22” x 22” premium quality cloth map of the Mines of Moria
  • Special gold-plated replica of The One Ring complete with chain and pouch
  • Mines of Moria poster
  • Middle-earth map
  • The Lord of the Rings Online Art and Music Collection with the official Mines of Moria Soundtrack
  • Full color Collector’s Edition Starter Guide
  • Online Community Badge for LOTRO forums
  • Includes the 2007 PC MMO Game of the Year, Shadows of Angmar, all content updates, plus the Mines of Moria expansion.
  • 30 Days Free Game Time
  • Quick Reference Card
  • Product Key Card
  • 14–day free Buddy Key Cards (3 Keys)
  • Starter guide
  • Manual (pdf)
  • Entry into the $25,000 The Treasures of Moria Instant Win and Sweepstakes (probably expired)
[/QUOTE]
Still $9.99 from Amazon and shipping 9/17/10 (according to my latest email). If you're still looking to join, that's the pack to get.

[quote name='Megiddo_CAG']So are there going to be certain LOTRO game nights? Or specific times when we do some group quests or something along those lines?[/QUOTE]

I don't know about anyone else but my time is set in stone until June of 2011.

Wed - 10:30 PM EST to 11:30 PM EST.

If I am able to get any time in outside of that it's because I will be blessed with a little help from my friends.

Fun playing with you mdamore, thanks for helping me out on some of the quests I was doing. Definitely a fun game so far.

Some thoughts on what (if anything) to pay for in LOTRO based on reading the following FAQ: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?351353-Free-2-Play-F-A-Q

1) Don’t purchase the Gold Cap Removal for a Premium char. Much better to get all your chars and then pay for VIP level for a month or two (getting 500 points/month) and then go back to Premium. Any character that has been played at VIP will have the gold cap permanently removed.
2) Don’t purchase the extra inventory bags. Instead (timed with the gold cap removal), get VIP level and it will permanently add 2 bags to all characters you use while at VIP.
3) Don’t buy Trait Slots. Just pay for one month of VIP and you’ll get all trait slots and will keep them even after you downgrade to Premium.
4) Do not pay for riding skill. Gain the riding skill while at VIP and you’ll keep it after you downgrade to Premium.
5) Get Mines of Moria CE for $9.99 from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Mines-Moria-Collectors-Pc/dp/B001FS8XAK/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_1 (you may need to pick it from the “More Buying Choices” on the right side of the window). This is less than half the price of buying from the in-game store AND you get 500 points (which you don’t get if you buy from the in-game store). Plus you get some CE crap (if that’s your thing) for about the same price as the Standard edition.
6) If you are going to buy points, wait for the promotions (the best deal I’ve seen is the 6,900 points for $49.99 promo vs. the normal 5,000 for $49.99)
7) Look for the daily 20% discounts on items you want. So far I’ve seen the discounts on Shared Wardrobe Space (995 -> 796 points) and some consumable items that I’m not sure I’d waste the points on. I’m not sure if they offer discounts on Quest Packs or Skirmishes, but if they do, that would be a good time to pick them up assuming you really need them.

I’m still deciding whether I should pay for the Quest Packs or just spend the points on four extra character slots (which, combined with the +1 you get with Preimum from paying for anything would give you 7 total slots) so I can get one of each character class (except for the 2 classes that come with MoM), level them up to 20 , add the MoM code to get 2 more character slots (which added to the other chars gives me all 9 char classes) and 30 days of VIP access (plus all of the VIP upgrades to existing characters mentioned above), level all 9 characters up to the MoM content (completing the Quest Pack content) so I don’t need to buy the Quest Packs for these characters and then finish the MoM content before buying the SoM content.

That's what I'm thinking now, but I've got some time to think it over before I need to make any decisions. Now that I think about it, I think I like getting the best deal possible on a game more than I like playing the game (at least starting out) ;-)

Question: Did anyone buy any 60-day time cards form BT Enterprises via Amazon?

I just had my order from them cancelled with the explanation that when they opened the box, it contained "Pirates of the Burning Sea" cards rather than LOTRO cards so they couldn't fulfill my order. WTF?

Pisses me of because another vendor had comparable prices at the time but now all the good deals on these cards are gone.:bomb:

I guess my option to get those 60 day time cards is now gone. Damn, they were the best bang for the buck for my options of cheaply going VIP a single time.

EDIT: Won't be on today either. Will be playing Halo Reach with some friends while a friend visits and uses my computer to play the Starcraft 2 Campaign.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Question: Did anyone buy any 60-day time cards form BT Enterprises via Amazon?

I just had my order from them cancelled with the explanation that when they opened the box, it contained "Pirates of the Burning Sea" cards rather than LOTRO cards so they couldn't fulfill my order. WTF?
[/QUOTE]
That sounds like seller's remorse BS to me. How can their inventory be that off?

[quote name='Guerrilla']That sounds like seller's remorse BS to me. How can their inventory be that off?[/QUOTE]

That was my first thought, but their excuse that the box containing the cards was mis-labeled could be valid (stuff like that does happen) and they might not have realized until they opened the box to ship out the recent orders.

In any case, since they mentioned that the wouldn't be getting new stock in for 14-30 days, I took that as a sign that they WOULD be getting new stock in and requested that they fulfill my original order at the original price when they get the new stock of cards. I don't mind waiting for the cards if I can get them at that price. It just pisses me off that I passed on another vendor with a slightly lower price because they would only let me buy as many cards as this vendor.

[quote name='Draekon']I guess my option to get those 60 day time cards is now gone. Damn, they were the best bang for the buck for my options of cheaply going VIP a single time.[/QUOTE]

The 30-days VIP from Mines of Moria doesn't count?

[quote name='halfbent']The 30-days VIP from Mines of Moria doesn't count?[/QUOTE]

I am a previous subscriber and used my 30 days free ages ago. Not really a big deal, but eh.

Ah! Gotcha. Is there a best time to use the 30-day code to maximize benefits? I believe my brother and I hit 10 last night, and if we use the codes, would we be able to get the riding training, etc, etc and not miss out on anything?

[quote name='halfbent']The 30-days VIP from Mines of Moria doesn't count?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Draekon']I am a previous subscriber and used my 30 days free ages ago. Not really a big deal, but eh.[/QUOTE]

You only get the 30-days VIP with MoM if you purchase the retail boxed version of Mom AND you haven't already upgraded to MoM on that account.

Purchasing MoM from the in-game store using points will not give you the 30-days VIP and you can only use a code to upgrade to a higher level one time (and codes for a lower-level version will not be accepted because you can't downgrade).

I don't think that being a previous subscriber would prevent you from getting 30 days VIP if you purchase the retail MoM and haven't already upgraded to it. I recall seeing something about this situation in the LOTRO forums, but if you don't already have MoM then buying the Amazon CE for $9.99 is less expensiving than buying it through other means and I'm not sure you have anything to lose if it doesn't give you the 30 days.

Update: Here's the link I was looking for: http://www.lotro.com/support/support-faqs359-when-do-my-30-free-days-begin

bread's done
Back