CAG Lord of the Rings Online Kinship

[quote name='halfbent']Ah! Gotcha. Is there a best time to use the 30-day code to maximize benefits? I believe my brother and I hit 10 last night, and if we use the codes, would we be able to get the riding training, etc, etc and not miss out on anything?[/QUOTE]

I think the riding quest is a level 20 quest but I may be wrong.

[quote name='halfbent']Ah! Gotcha. Is there a best time to use the 30-day code to maximize benefits? I believe my brother and I hit 10 last night, and if we use the codes, would we be able to get the riding training, etc, etc and not miss out on anything?[/QUOTE]

I'd wait until you exhaust all the free content before using the code. Probably around level 21-24 or so is when the free quests run out. Get as many characters as you're going to want to have up to that point so you can unlock the riding skill (level 20) on all of them.

[quote name='Draekon']I already have all the expansions and the VIP starter code (which I can't use) from the $5 deal before.[/QUOTE]

OK, that makes sense. No free VIP in that case.

I'm still wondering what will happen if I buy a cheap copy of SoA. Since I have a brand new free account (now upgraded to Premium since I bought some points) I think I should get 30 days of VIP time for free, but if I do this I don't think my VIP code from the D2D VIP package will work. It is probably an either/or thing with those two codes.

However, I fully expect that my retail MoM code (coming from Amazon soon) will add another 30 days of VIP.

And then I'll purchase the SoM expansion via the on-line store (only place to get it now) and this will not include any VIP time.

After that, we'll see. I was really hoping to get that good deal on the 60-day time cards, but I may be out of luck. Hopefully some more good deals will pop up in the near future.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Question: Did anyone buy any 60-day time cards form BT Enterprises via Amazon?

I just had my order from them cancelled with the explanation that when they opened the box, it contained "Pirates of the Burning Sea" cards rather than LOTRO cards so they couldn't fulfill my order. WTF?

Pisses me of because another vendor had comparable prices at the time but now all the good deals on these cards are gone.:bomb:[/QUOTE]

Update on this:

I contacted the vendor last night in a courteous manner to ask if they would honor my original purchase when they get the cards back in stock since I don't mind waiting the 15-30 days. I just received a response (around midnight) indicating that they would.

If this works out I will be very impressed with this company. Not that I'm asking for anything unreasonable, but it is always a nice surprise when a company responds with integrity to a reasonable request, especially when the alternative might make them more money in the short term.

I'll also post something here when this vendor gets more inventory so anyone else that is interested can buy time cards form them (hopefully still at a very good price) because I like to support companies with good customer service.

Following up on the previous discussion about which codes get you an extra 30-days of VIP access, I just successfully did the following:
1) Started with my new free-to-play account created on Sept 10.
- At this point I didn't see anything in my Game Version History (under my account page)

2) Just added the 30-day VIP code I got with with D2D VIP Starter Package
- Since this was a new F2P account, this code gave me 30 days of VIP time, as it should
- At this point, the following appeared under my account:
Game Version History
Shadows of Angmar™ Standard (received from the D2D code)
Shadows of Angmar™ Guest (apparently received by creating a new F2P account)

3) I then added the code I just received with my retail copy of Shadows of Angmar Special Edition.
- This extended my VIP renewal date another 30 days
- And the following was now shown under my account:
Game Version History
Shadows of Angmar™ Special (received from the SoA SE edition code)
Shadows of Angmar™ Standard (received from the D2D code)
Shadows of Angmar™ Guest (apparently received by creating a new F2P account)

So, while you almost definitely can't add a code at the same level (2 D2D codes or a D2D code and a Retail SoA Standard Edition code), you CAN enter codes that are a step above the last code added to your account. And it appears that the D2D code is really just a SoA Standard Edition code, so if you didn't pick up the D2D deal, you could probably still get the SoA Standard box, get +30 days for it, and then get another +30 days if you add the SoA Special Edition code.

And from what I understand, if you add a retail MoM code (NOT purchased through the in-game store), it will add the expansion pack content and give you another 30 days.

The one thing I don't know is whether you can add a retail MoM Collectors Edition Code on top of a MoM Standard Edition code. The MoM CE does come with extra in-game content, but it says you get it using 3 "tokens". If these "tokens" are separate codes, then I'd guess that the MoM code in the CE is the same as the SE code. But if you get the tokens in-game when you enter the MoM CE code, then that would be a pretty clear indication that the MoM CE code is different than the MoM SE code and could likely be entered on top of a MoM SE code (both of which could then very likely give you +30 VIP days).

I should know more when I get my MoM CE box from Amazon tomorrow and can see what the codes look like. If there is just one code, then I may look for a dirt-cheap copy of MoM SE (~$5) to get another 30-days of VIP access before applying the MoM CE code.

And I think that nearly exhausts all of the different opportunities to get +30 VIP days for anyone that might be interested and can find cheap retail copies of SoA and MoM Standard and Collector Editions.

Update: Gamestop has MoM SE and CE's and SoA Standard Edition for $9.99, but only in the stores, not online.

Thanks for the heads up! I have my D2D code, SoA SE (just arrived from Amazon), and MoM CE still on the way. I wasn't sure how to stack them for maximum points, but that looks right.

[quote name='Guerrilla']Thanks for the heads up! I have my D2D code, SoA SE (just arrived from Amazon), and MoM CE still on the way. I wasn't sure how to stack them for maximum points, but that looks right.[/QUOTE]

Ha! I wasn't sure if anyone might be able to benefit from that info or if I was just wasting my time, but it looks like we are in the exact same situation :lol:

I'm still tempted to pick up a MoM SE for $9.99, partly for the +30 days (which is a decent but not great deal compared to a 60-day card) and partly because I'm curious to see if it will work in addition to the MoM CE code. If there was one at a nearby gamestop I might pick it up for $9.99, but I'd spend more money on gas getting to the nearest one that has it in stock.

Another update: Just found SoA Special Edition for $0.90 (with $2.99 shipping for me) at GoGamer.com
http://www.gogamer.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=10201699&categoryId=65176

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't really play until around November (too busy until then) but when I can I might be interested in joining up with you guys. I'm not a new player but I've only played around 130 hours or so with my main character. I could always start a few alt's as well if need be. Anyways I will check back in at a later date and see how things are going, if you guys like the game/stick with it ect.

Lol I wanted one of those too and was going to get one before I got called out to some restaurant I don't even like by my family...missed the D2D deal, and all the Mines of Morias are basically price jacked now, what to do...

Man I haven't been able to play at all this week. With Reach now out and it being my work week (I work 7 12-hour shifts every other week), I don't have too much time to hop on and hang out with you guys. I'll make an effort to at least jump in for a few hours next week, as I'll have the whole week off and I've got to make my 30 days of VIP access worth it. Level up at least one character and get a mount before it goes to Premium.

Also, there's a quest that's only live this weekend that can net you pirate equipment. It's north of Buckland and the place you need to turn it in is way up the river. Just an FYI.

[quote name='Psybuster']Thanks man. The 2-3 weeks shipping delay won't bug me at all.[/QUOTE]

It probably won't be that long. I ordered two copies a week ago and received them yesterday.

[quote name='Draekon']Also, there's a quest that's only live this weekend that can net you pirate equipment. It's north of Buckland and the place you need to turn it in is way up the river. Just an FYI.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reminder Draekon. Do you need to get the quest, or just head up in that area and look around? Also, are there any nasty high-level critters up there or do you think it is accessible to toons at any level?

[quote name='DarkonJohn']I'm still tempted to pick up a MoM SE for $9.99, partly for the +30 days (which is a decent but not great deal compared to a 60-day card) and partly because I'm curious to see if it will work in addition to the MoM CE code. If there was one at a nearby gamestop I might pick it up for $9.99, but I'd spend more money on gas getting to the nearest one that has it in stock.
[/QUOTE]

Update: I received my MoM CE yesterday and decided to just install it now w/o screwing around trying to get another 30 days b buying MoM SE and installing it first. Glad I did the CE code first because even though the code was recognized as a MoM CE, it shows up in my Game Version History as "Mines or Moria Standard" which makes me think that if I had installed MoM Standard Edition first the CE code might not have been accepted.

It was also a bit strange because the email confirmation I recived confirmed I entered a CE code though my online account info said Standard. And I did get the "tokens" that give you 3 in-game items that only come with the CE (though for some reason the email said I would only get 2 tokens).

Has anyond been able to buy (or seen) the "Adventurer's Pack" which included 20 shared inventory slots and +2 character slots?

It was originally available when MoM came out and sounds like it was available in-store before F2P came out, but I'm wondering if they pulled it from the store to force you to buy each item separately for a higher price.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Thanks for the reminder Draekon. Do you need to get the quest, or just head up in that area and look around? Also, are there any nasty high-level critters up there or do you think it is accessible to toons at any level?[/QUOTE]

Level 10 quest (Might be able to get it before 10, don't know). Here's details on it where it is and where to turn it in:

http://lotro.mmodb.com/quests/the-tale-of-the-shipwrecked-mariners-1674.php

Once completed you can buy three different cosmetic items from the quartermaster. Each item costs 25 bottles and 10 casks (total of 75 & 30) which you can easily get going up towards the captain (and then I basically used my map recall to bree and used travel back to buckland).

EDIT: On rare occasion a waterlogged locker will spawn in place of a keg or crate. These are light armored level 35 hats. Not bad for Loremaster or Rune Keepers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, definitely spawn in rare waterlogged lockers. Logged on and then bam, I found one:

http://draekon.com/rarelocker.jpg

Which net me First Mate's Hat and Eyepatch, a level 35 hat. Should be decent for my class too.

[quote name='I LIEK CHOCOLATEMILK']Sweet. I didn't know anyone who played so I'm down.

Sufjan/Human Guardian[/QUOTE]

Just so you know, we can't add you until you complete the tutorial instance (optional) and then the newbie area. You'll be level 6 or 7 when you leave there by going through a solo instance.

I will get around to starting a new character on Riddermark here soon and I will post back with my details. When I was a subscriber I had a couple characters on Brandywine, so if any CAGs have characters on that server I would be down to play over there too.

D2D has the VIP starter pack for $14.95 after $5 code (PAX or PAX2010). While not as good as the $4.95 a week back, it gives 1000 Turbine points and a month of VIP (for an additional 500 Turbine points and other bonuses). Completely worth it, and you can stack Shadows SE and Moria on it for extra VIP months.

Just got into the Kinship today.

I will not be crafting. So if you need an item from drops email me in the game with what you need and as I get it will sent it to ya.

[quote name='Draekon']Yep, definitely spawn in rare waterlogged lockers. Logged on and then bam, I found one:

Which net me First Mate's Hat and Eyepatch, a level 35 hat. Should be decent for my class too.

Just so you know, we can't add you until you complete the tutorial instance (optional) and then the newbie area. You'll be level 6 or 7 when you leave there by going through a solo instance.[/QUOTE]

Ha, yeah. I figured that might of happened. I'll let you know when I finish.

[quote name='Draekon']Yep, definitely spawn in rare waterlogged lockers. Logged on and then bam, I found one:

[/QUOTE]

Just as a note of clarification if anyone is going to hunt these down.

There are 3 lvl 35 rare items which are the First Mates Hat, First Mate's Eyepatch, and First Mate's Hat and Eye Patch.

There are also 3 lvl 45 rare items which are the same as the ones above except they are the Captain's variety instead of the First Mate.

Sent out some improved crafting tools to seven people and myself yesterday. When the other people start either playing more or leveling up more I'll throw a set their way.

[quote name='Megazell']I will not be crafting. So if you need an item from drops email me in the game with what you need and as I get it will sent it to ya.[/QUOTE]

You should really take up Explorer at least so you can sell ore/ingots and logs/planks. They sell pretty decent and you'll end up with some gems from mining that'll sell decently well too. However at this point you'd need to grind the first tier since you're basically into tier 2 nodes now.

Though if you don't want to, it doesn't matter either.

[quote name='Draekon']You should really take up Explorer at least so you can sell ore/ingots and logs/planks. They sell pretty decent and you'll end up with some gems from mining that'll sell decently well too. However at this point you'd need to grind the first tier since you're basically into tier 2 nodes now.

Though if you don't want to, it doesn't matter either.[/QUOTE]

I hear you and I read up a bit on it but it's too much time from me that I don't have. Usually, I play by drop if the game does not drop it chances are my character won't have it. All of my ingame currency and Turbine points will go towards making my character as fast as possible so I can get stuff done as fast as possible.

Kinda strange question to ask, but what's the lowest level that Mines of Moria expansion content (quests and zones) becomes relevant/playable? If it's like 45+ I'll just not add the key right away and resell on eBay if I don't like the game as much as I imagined I would.

Hey, can you invite "Sneakythief" to the Kinship? Teamed up with him last night and was interested in joining up but I wasn't able to send the request myself.

Thx.

[quote name='Psybuster']Kinda strange question to ask, but what's the lowest level that Mines of Moria expansion content (quests and zones) becomes relevant/playable? If it's like 45+ I'll just not add the key right away and resell on eBay if I don't like the game as much as I imagined I would.[/QUOTE]

Moria is a level 50-60 expansion. Keep in mind your Moria key will give you access to two additional classes (Rune-keeper and Warden) if you are interested in trying those. I believe it also gives you two additional character slots.

[quote name='redline']Moria is a level 50-60 expansion. Keep in mind your Moria key will give you access to two additional classes (Rune-keeper and Warden) if you are interested in trying those. I believe it also gives you two additional character slots.[/QUOTE]

And free VIP for 30 days (even if you buy it with TP if I heard correctly).

I played a lvl 50 hunter and quit right before MoM came out. I logged back in and clueless and rusty on the hunters. Can anyone fill me in on some of the changes or how to get back in the swing of things? I made a RK and am having fun, but really miss the hunter

[quote name='Draekon']And free VIP for 30 days (even if you buy it with TP if I heard correctly).[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure you'll get +30 VIP days with TP purchase of MoM. I know I didn't get +30 days when I purchased SoM with TP (the only way you can purchase). Regardless, the $9.99 Amazon deal is less expensive and definitely does get you +30 days (unless you are using an account that has already been upgraded to MoM).

nice, have a level 10 a 12 and a 1 on riddermark just popped in to see which server the clan is on and surprisingly the cag clan is on riddermark.

crystalklear64 - Wasp/Human Burglar - Gheed/Dwarf Hunter, Jams/Hobbit Minstrel

tried out all the classes except the two pay ones and the burglar has been the most fun so far, though the minstrel also has it charms (mainly discovering that I could hook up my usb keyboard and play actual songs albeit with forced time signatures in game.)

Tjinn hobbit minstrel, I'd like to join.

What was the final consensus on younger players? My boys 10 and 12 play too. They are pretty mature for their age but I understand if ppl dont want younguns in the kin.

[quote name='nuromutt']Tjinn hobbit minstrel, I'd like to join.

What was the final consensus on younger players? My boys 10 and 12 play too. They are pretty mature for their age but I understand if ppl dont want younguns in the kin.[/QUOTE]

I think most ppl here are OK with playing with all ages.

What was the final consensus on younger players? My boys 10 and 12 play too. They are pretty mature for their age but I understand if ppl dont want younguns in the kin.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I'm OK with giving it a shot, but I do have two concerns you might want to consider before making a decision:

If for some reason it doesn't work out, they could be asked to leave at some point. I dont' expect this to happen, but who knows.

The other concern is that, since we are assusming the kin members are "mature", someone (possibly me), might not realize their age and could say something you might consider inappropriate. I wouldn't want to teach them any bad habits or new words and I certainly have a few bad habits I could unintentionaly pass on ;).

I think we've got a good group of people so far so I don't think this is a big concern, but each parent needs to decide for themselves what they want to expose their kids to.

[quote name='crystalklear64']when do you guys play? i was on for a bit yesterday but only whoever has the character Sorcha, was on.[/QUOTE]

What time zone are you in?

I tend to play a lot when I first get into a game like this, trying to hit the max level with my main toon, so I've been on in the evenings (west coast) on weekdays and will likely be on various times on the weekends.

However, I expect my weekday time will decrease over the coming weeks as I get leveled up and start to catch up on other things in life.

Neither my wife or I swear but we don't try to pretend to our kids that others don't. We have a friend who always forgets not to swear when she is around our kids and they smirk and leave the room when she starts in.

They are not perfect but they are good kids and I don't worry about minor exposure to someone in a mmorpg because I trust our parenting and their judgement.

[quote name='crystalklear64']when do you guys play? i was on for a bit yesterday but only whoever has the character Sorcha, was on.[/QUOTE]

Wed 10:30 EST to 11:30 EST and Sun (random).

Pretty much everybody is fine with whatever age as long as they are mature.

bread's done
Back