CAG Lose It weight loss challenge.

[quote name='mars009']I'm 5'6 and I tried this once. I dropped weight (only muscle), was tired all the time and kinda moody. I think anything below 1800 for a guy is pretty extreme unless you really know what you are doing. Also once you go back to the normal intake your body starts filling in the gaps again and might gain undesired weight (depends on nutrition).

I eat a high protein, normal carb, low fat diet for years now and I feel great. I'm not a big guy but I do think I am in decent shape :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

For sure on the 1300 calories being low, but I did it for a little while just to see how my energy was. It truly wasn't that bad, I could tell I was lacking energy (all my lifts were slow and way more tiring than normal). I definitely wouldn't do that again. I've been fluctuating my diet much more than lately, changing it based on my physical activity of the day (lifting, biking, days where I lift and bike etc). I've been trying to not each if I'm not that hungry, but if I start to drag and get tired I usually eat something.

[quote name='DestroVega']Starting Weight 6/4/12 - 208.8
6/11/12 - 200.3
6/18/12 - 195.4

Feel terrific, actually don't want to go back to eating junk again.[/QUOTE]

Nice job Vega. I was coming in this topic just to comment on the fact that my body feels really good today, I feel very healthy. It's a good feeling.

First good cardio session since my accident.

20 min running at 6mph, 20 min elliptical at 8mph.

Burned around 470 calories, but keeping my diet the same. Don't want to eat the calories I burned :)

So I've cooled down on trying to lose weight since I hit "the wall". Just wondering what you guys think of this situation:

So I've lost over 35 pounds over the past year. Met my extended family over Xmas and at the time I was at around 142. At the time, some members of the family commented at how much weight I lost (no one said I looked sickeningly skinny). Fast forward to today and I'm sitting at around 153 and the same family members are saying that I look way too skinny and pleading with me to stop exercising/dieting to get some more body weight back.

I know I'm a lot bigger than I was 6 months ago (due to being more relaxed on my diet) so I'm not sure why people are now thinking I'm too skinny when they should have said that back then.

5'7, I used to eat less than 1600 calories a day but now I average around 1800-2000 (used to be healthy stuff like salads, only water, etc but I've eventually gone back to about a can of soda every 2-3 days and fast food about 2-3 times a week). No weight lifting, just cardio.

Not sure how I've never seen this thread. I'd definitely like to get back in shape, some of the stories I quickly read through here and actually pretty amazing. My (quick) story:

Many years ago I used to weigh 270 lb, so big boy haha. I guess it was 4 years now I went on a strict diet for a year and ended up losing over 80 pounds, and settling around 200. Well, I'm 21 now 5"10 240 lb, so it didn't work out exactly as planned, but it's my last year in college and I really want to go on a strict diet one more time and hopefully get back to the 200 lb I used to be, maybe even 190.

You definitely feel a lot more energy when you lose all that weight, but I also hate to lift (mostly cardio-treadmill), and idk something about going off to college made me gain a lot of weight quickly. Oh well, can't say I have too many regrets, but I'd like to get back to it. I meant that to be a short recap =/

I'll read more through the posts just to see what people are doing, but if anyone has any tips they want to throw at me feel free. It's only reading through this thread now that I feel a little guilt I kinda gave up :cry:. Ah well,vback to it. It's hard to get a consistent workout when I'm getting up at 5:30 for work and not getting back until around then in the afternoon, but hopefully in a few months I can start up a real diet again.

And to everyone whose lost a shit ton of weight, seriously congrats. For some people it's a surprisngly hard thing to do, and (clearly) sometimes harder to keep off.

TheRock88:

Did you have Christmas in a cold area? Thicker clothing? Or maybe you've since bought clothes that fit better than your old clothes?

No one started the "you look too skinny" stuff with me until I totally ditched all my fat clothes and started wearing clothes that actually fit properly.

the_punisher:

Only one tip that's really important: don't quit. There isn't a diet or routine out there that works when you stop doing it. Committing to a healthier and/or more active lifestyle is the hard part, once you get into that mentality following a strict diet or crazy exercise regiment isn't all that overwhelming.

Finished up an 8.2 mile run. A little faster than ten minute miles. Feels good.

The *one* problem I have is post-running; I eat a TON! Tonight I had: a peanut butter sandwich, my usual whey protein shake, a Clif bar and a few extra spoons of the peanut butter. :/ Prolly negated all the calories lost, heh. (Forget that. I surely took in a couple hundred cals!)

Really gotta work on that post-run eating...otherwise, things are good. Prolly gonna get ten miles in Friday.

Lifting is still the usual three nights a week. Closing back in on 170 pounds again.

[quote name='blindinglights']TheRock88:

Did you have Christmas in a cold area? Thicker clothing? Or maybe you've since bought clothes that fit better than your old clothes?

No one started the "you look too skinny" stuff with me until I totally ditched all my fat clothes and started wearing clothes that actually fit properly.[/QUOTE]

I thought it would be something like that but I remember wearing pretty light stuff when I met them for the Christmas party (silk shirt with the same pants I normally wear when I was bigger, just had to poke a few extra holes on my belt). I still buy/wear all my clothes at the same size when I was bigger and it still fits pretty well, just the collar area seems to be a little loose.

the_punisher:

Only one tip that's really important: don't quit. There isn't a diet or routine out there that works when you stop doing it. Committing to a healthier and/or more active lifestyle is the hard part, once you get into that mentality following a strict diet or crazy exercise regiment isn't all that overwhelming.
This so much. I'm the laziest person I know and people are amazed when I tell them that I used to weigh 180 and now am around 150. They automatically assume I had gone on some special diet or something fancy cause I'm so lazy. It was hard at the beginning but after the first month or so, I would get really pissed if I didnt exercise everyday or if I ate something really unhealthy. Once the pounds starts falling off, it does get kinda addicting.

I sprained my toe last week and am still pissed that I havent been able to do my cardio for a whole week. Still counting the days until I'll be able to do it with no problems.

[quote name='TheRock88']
5'7, I used to eat less than 1600 calories a day but now I average around 1800-2000 (used to be healthy stuff like salads, only water, etc but I've eventually gone back to about a can of soda every 2-3 days and fast food about 2-3 times a week). No weight lifting, just cardio.
[/QUOTE]

Honestly, you probably do look skinny. With a small diet like you have, and the only exercise you do being cardio (no weight training whatsoever) you probably look like a shrimp. I'm not saying this in a mean way, I just don't like to beat around the bush. Throw a day or two of lifting in your week and up your calories and protein those days (chicken works well) so you can recover a little quicker and you will start to gain mass. You don't have to become the hulk but you most likely lost a lot of muscle mass during your weightloss, which a lot of bikers and runners tend to do (calories are too low vs their activity level so the body tends to lose muscle, usually in the upper body).

[quote name='Rig']
Finished up an 8.2 mile run. A little faster than ten minute miles. Feels good.

The *one* problem I have is post-running; I eat a TON! Tonight I had: a peanut butter sandwich, my usual whey protein shake, a Clif bar and a few extra spoons of the peanut butter. :/ Prolly negated all the calories lost, heh. (Forget that. I surely took in a couple hundred cals!)

Really gotta work on that post-run eating...otherwise, things are good. Prolly gonna get ten miles in Friday.

Lifting is still the usual three nights a week. Closing back in on 170 pounds again.
[/QUOTE]

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Your body needs fuel to recover, and as long as your aren't over eating your body will use that to start the rebuild process. I try to eat something before I workout or push myself on the bike, makes the after training cravings a little less crazy.

[quote name='the_punisher']
Not sure how I've never seen this thread. I'd definitely like to get back in shape, some of the stories I quickly read through here and actually pretty amazing. My (quick) story:

Many years ago I used to weigh 270 lb, so big boy haha. I guess it was 4 years now I went on a strict diet for a year and ended up losing over 80 pounds, and settling around 200. Well, I'm 21 now 5"10 240 lb, so it didn't work out exactly as planned, but it's my last year in college and I really want to go on a strict diet one more time and hopefully get back to the 200 lb I used to be, maybe even 190.

You definitely feel a lot more energy when you lose all that weight, but I also hate to lift (mostly cardio-treadmill), and idk something about going off to college made me gain a lot of weight quickly. Oh well, can't say I have too many regrets, but I'd like to get back to it. I meant that to be a short recap =/

I'll read more through the posts just to see what people are doing, but if anyone has any tips they want to throw at me feel free. It's only reading through this thread now that I feel a little guilt I kinda gave up :cry:. Ah well,vback to it. It's hard to get a consistent workout when I'm getting up at 5:30 for work and not getting back until around then in the afternoon, but hopefully in a few months I can start up a real diet again.

And to everyone whose lost a shit ton of weight, seriously congrats. For some people it's a surprisngly hard thing to do, and (clearly) sometimes harder to keep off.
[/QUOTE]

The biggest thing you can do right now is just start to watch your diet a little more. Put down the chips, the cookies, and the other junk food that is the staple of the college diet and try eating a bit healthier. The simpler you eat the easier it is to do. Eggs, toast, cereal that isn't loaded with sugar is perfect for breakfast. Peanut butter sandwiches (jelly if you really need it) on wheat, tuna sandwiches, bananas, carrots and that sort of thing for lunch. Dinner just stick with smaller portions and stay away from fast food / crap for you food restaurant chains. Also, drinking will make you gain weight and take away your gains very quickly.

The easiest exercise you can do is start walking. Walk to class, the grocery store, the cafeteria (if you eat there), etc. If you can just do those two things I guarantee you will start losing weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wearing the same thing I wore to the beach last year today and decided to do a comparison shot. Not a huge difference, but I see some gains.

img2236.JPG

[quote name='TheRock88']5'7, I used to eat less than 1600 calories a day but now I average around 1800-2000 (used to be healthy stuff like salads, only water, etc but I've eventually gone back to about a can of soda every 2-3 days and fast food about 2-3 times a week). No weight lifting, just cardio.[/QUOTE]

You just summed up the past 6 months of my life, so let me tell you how it was explained to me. Cardio burns muscle first then fat. Like you, I did absolutely no weight lifting, therefore when I lost 65 lbs, I probably burned 90% of all the muscle I had. I look like Tom Hanks in Phialdelphia, minus the sores. Right now, my BMI is normal (I fluctuate between 184-188) but I still get comments of how sickly I look. And I still have a slight belly, which is the most frustrating part of it.

You can definitely see the difference sean. Your neck, forearm and bicep look much bigger. You can also tell the difference in the size of your back (by looking at how your shirt pulls). You look good man (no homo).

Hey number83, I've never told you this before but uh, lift some weights! :p

[quote name='perdition(troy']Hey number83, I've never told you this before but uh, lift some weights! :p[/QUOTE]

+1. Doesn't have to be a lot - just some light weights with high reps will do the trick.

So.... I'm back. Officially. School ended last week. Kids and wife are home and not having to get up for anything so I don't need to stay home in the morning. This morning I was back from the gym by 7:30 a.m. and the house was pretty much still asleep (everyone was up by 8 though). I should be able to keep this schedule until September at least which is awesome. I need some uninterrupted gym time because since May 21 when my daughter was born I've only been to the gym for a total of 1 week. That's 1 out of 5 after about 14 months straight. Ugh. This morning's insanity workout was damn near impossible but I feel good. By mid-July I should be back to where I was but it is annoying.

Had a six-mile trail run last night; thankfully no falls or pulled anythings. :lol: Was actually a great change of scenery (well, the bug bites sucked).

Weighed myself on our industrial scale at work when I was working on a manufacturing computer...169 pounds with clothes on, keys in the pocket and two cell phones.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Hey number83, I've never told you this before but uh, lift some weights! :p[/QUOTE]

:lol:

[quote name='Javery']+1. Doesn't have to be a lot - just some light weights with high reps will do the trick.

[/QUOTE]

Noted.

I actually have been doing some light weights...sort of. Ive been doing curls and shoulder work with resistance bands. Beleive it or not, that gives me a pretty good work out. I also do crunches with a 5lb Kettle Bell on my chest.

It's not a lot, but I feel like I'm toning up some.

My wife and I were watching Thor on Netflix and I said to her, "I'm cut like that now." to which she replied, "I (meaning her) wish!".

I do too...:cry:

I timed myself for reals on my run this morning for the first time ever. I averaged an 8:07 mile over 5 miles. Not bad considering the terrain was anything but flat.

I don't think I'd be anywhere near that on average, heck running a ten minute mile would probably be hard for me. My favorite line about runners that I've heard is that "you can stop running now you lost whoever was chasing you".

I biked to work again today, I think three times in a week should be my limit lol. However, I do enjoy it a ton. That and it gets me to stop buying gas, and I hate that I was/am so reliant on it.

Walked 25 miles this week and stuck to the diet. Went down a few lbs again too.

Height: 6'2"
Starting Weight: 300lbs
First goal: 250lbs reached on 5/24/12
Next goal: 220 lbs.
Last week's weigh in: 241 lbs.
Current Weight: 238 lbs.

You guys would be surprised - I thought I was going to have trouble too but all that Insanity training plus the lost weight has really made me quick. It is still a big step down from the treadmill where I can run between 9 and 10 mph easily which is like a 6:XX mile.

Habbler - nice job man - keep at it!

[quote name='Habbler']Walked 25 miles this week and stuck to the diet. Went down a few lbs again too.

Height: 6'2"
Starting Weight: 300lbs
First goal: 250lbs reached on 5/24/12
Next goal: 220 lbs.
Last week's weigh in: 241 lbs.
Current Weight: 238 lbs.[/QUOTE]
Great job dude.

I started skating again and damn, my legs are WEAK. I can barely grind a 1ft ledge. LOLZ...I used to be able to grind shit that was at waist level.:cry:

Gonna work that shit hard next week.

[quote name='dohdough']Great job dude.

I started skating again and damn, my legs are WEAK. I can barely grind a 1ft ledge. LOLZ...I used to be able to grind shit that was at waist level.:cry:

Gonna work that shit hard next week.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a lot of fun. I used to have some Roces Majestic 12s when I was in highschool. I was a big kid back then too so I never really did much with them, but I loved following around the other kids and work the camcorder. I think I might have to buy some inline skates as a reward when I hit 220.

[quote name='Habbler']That sounds like a lot of fun. I used to have some Roces Majestic 12s when I was in highschool. I was a big kid back then too so I never really did much with them, but I loved following around the other kids and work the camcorder. I think I might have to buy some inline skates as a reward when I hit 220.[/QUOTE]
Don't wait man. Do it NOW. It's a great work out.

On a different anti-biotic for my digestive problems, but my samples turned out negative so looks like I'll have to get a colonoscopy at the age of 22 -- sigh.

I've also given up dairy as I'm testing for lactose intolerance, and so it's difficult to get the protein I need. The whey shakes were so convenient...

[quote name='panzerfaust']There are probably temperatures you should avoid running in, in all seriousness.[/QUOTE]

yeah, if you are in the heat wave right now it is not a good idea to go running in the middle of the day. I was sweating balls this morning INSIDE and it was only 5:30 a.m. - double the sweat of a typical workout to the point I was slipping on it. Some girl was looking at me like I was mental or something because I was jumping around like a madman and sweat was just pouring off of me all over the place.

Height 5' 10'' usually
Starting Weight: 261
Today's Weight: 244.6
Goal Weight: 220

Slow progress. But continual. I stopped lifting every other day to doing at-home dvds to get my girlfriend motivation (mostly Slim in 6, which had me sweating profoundly more than lifting or cardio on my own).

Now I'm back to flipping between Slim in 6, P90X, cardio/fat burn on the elliptical, and the occasional lifting. I need to focus on one or two things and stick with that for a while.

I also started using MyFitnessPal along with LoseIt, which I've been using for 6 months. I think I'm liking the first one better.

Well, I did it, and in record time. Nothing was more motivating than getting the hell out of it. Think I ruined it by eating about 20 Chicken Nuggets, but I was never so hungry after a run.

Did feel light headed too, but I think I needed to rehydrate.

I hit up a local skate park today and busted my shin, but not too bad luckily. This was good motivation for me to get some wrist guards and shin guards. Better to spend $100 on protection rather than time in a cast...lolz.

I worked the shit out of my quads trying to ride the mini-ramp though. I'm in SOOOO much pain right now and barely had the strength to drive home. I'm gonna go back on Monday. :D

How has everyone been? Reading through this page. Javery, did you ever get back to your routine, or has the wife kept you on lockdown?

[quote name='Number83']It's so hot outside...do I really want to go do my 5K?

I know the answer, I just want someone to say no...:mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

I say do it. :) I run outside in the Las Vegas desert heat quite a bit. Never had a problem.

I have shaken things up and enacted changes.

Back on supplements—and found my perfect stack. Driven Sports Activate Xtreme, Purus Labs D-Pol, AI Sports TestoPro, and the last piece of the puzzle I recently discovered, Axis Labs Myodex. That stack, when stacked with my T therapy, has made me feel fantastic. (Never went into detail, but the T therapy itself only raises my levels to a normal.) I tried AEN APE but that didn't work for my biology. The stack probably only raises my levels a small bit over normal, but it works.

Also placed myself on calorie restriction for about a month and counting. Keeping the calories around 1200 a day. Adhering to my low-sugar, very clean vegan eating is easy. This calorie restriction stuff is awful. Only doing it because I'm trying to lean-out more. Been mostly working a 70-30 more cardio less strength training ratio, while trying to squeeze in grappling and striking classes when ever I can find the time. Arms have shrunk an inch or two (probably around 16-17 inches). Not that they're the only way to work the arms, but I stopped bicep curls. It's an exercise that always inflames my elbows (which, in turn, makes it difficult to open my hands).

Here's my progress photo for June.
2n8wuw0.jpg

Chase - 1200 seems way too low for the amount of activity you do. I'd be worried that would put you into starvation mode. Do you feel like you have enough energy?

My progress has been not that great. For the last three weeks I have not monitored my calories at all. I have continued eating what I ate when I was monitoring, just more of it. My lowest weight when I was still counting calories was 180 pounds, but now I'm up to around 187. I think the rapid gain is partially because of the way my eating habits change in the summer. I tend to have little to no appetite all day when it's hot and then get a monster appetite after 8pm since I've ate so little throughout the day. So tomorrow I'm starting to use Lose It again to see if I can get back on track.

Despite gaining 7 pounds, I've lost another 2 inches off of my waist bringing me down to 32" -- how 42" jeans were ever snug on me I do not know. I've also made improvements in my calisthenics and my run times are still between 6~7 minute/mile. I can maintain that pace up to 3 miles but after that I tend to slow down to an 8 minute/mile pace.

Here's my progress picture:

picture.php

I know I'm pale, I'm slowly getting used to going shirtless and not being totally embarrassed :whee:.

[quote name='Chase']How has everyone been? Reading through this page. Javery, did you ever get back to your routine, or has the wife kept you on lockdown? [/QUOTE]

I am back with a vengeance. Ever since school ended 2 weeks ago I've been going pretty much every day alternating between insanity and lifting M/W/F and a 5 mile run T/Th. I was at the beach all weekend and seeing family members for the first time in a few months and a couple people said I looked like I was in great shape which was nice to hear.

You look thinner for sure.

blindinglights - the pic isn't showing for me but that's awesome about the waistline. At this point your weight doesn't matter as much - especially if you are fitting in 32s.

Chase, looking good man. Don't drop too low on the calories, but I can't say much today. I'm going to be running on roughly ~1300 today, ~1900 tomorrow, ~1300 wednesday, and ~1900 thursday/friday to make up for the weekend.

Javery, that is awesome. I had a similar experience this weekend at a family reunion. Got to the slightly awkward point with everyone talking about it (and a few too many pictures lol) but it felt good.

Also, your picture didn't show up for me either blinding lights.

Still hitting my Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday lift nights. I'm gonna be running on Monday and Friday and likely drop my Wednesday run. (But, I'm also gonna up the Monday and Friday runs to 10+ miles).

Also likely going to be picking up a bicycle at the end of the week (finally).

You will absolutely love biking, though I live relatively near to you and know you will hate the heat we've been having.

Anyone ever have "fat" days? I feel like I'm huge today...the mirror says different, but I feel like I gained 10 pounds over the weekend.

Troy: Did you eat a lot of salt by any chance? Whenever I go out to a restaurant and eat I always hold water for few days and that makes me feel "fat" for a day or two until I get a couple good runs in and sweat it out.

I think the picture didn't show up because I didn't have the CAG photo album set to public, maybe this will work:

picture.php

[quote name='perdition(troy']You will absolutely love biking, though I live relatively near to you and know you will hate the heat we've been having.

Anyone ever have "fat" days? I feel like I'm huge today...the mirror says different, but I feel like I gained 10 pounds over the weekend.[/QUOTE]
What blindinglights said. Depending on what you eat, you can look a little bloated.

Speaking of blindinglights, it looks like you're getting your flex on, dude! Flex harder next time and spread those wings.:lol: The V getting off to a great start.

[quote name='blindinglights']Chase - 1200 seems way too low for the amount of activity you do. I'd be worried that would put you into starvation mode. Do you feel like you have enough energy?[/QUOTE]

Firstly: Nice work, Blinding. I am impressed. And I've been doing four 300 calorie meals throughout the day. I feel okay. Not starving but definitely not as happy as I could be. I'm thinking about raising it to four 400 calorie meals a day or 1600 calories.

[quote name='Javery']I am back with a vengeance. Ever since school ended 2 weeks ago I've been going pretty much every day alternating between insanity and lifting M/W/F and a 5 mile run T/Th. I was at the beach all weekend and seeing family members for the first time in a few months and a couple people said I looked like I was in great shape which was nice to hear.[/QUOTE]

Nice work, sir. When you posted your progress photo, I remember being really impressed. In particular, being impressed with the type of definition you had acquired.

[quote name='perdition(troy']I had a similar experience this weekend at a family reunion. Got to the slightly awkward point with everyone talking about it (and a few too many pictures lol) but it felt good.[/QUOTE]

You guys definitely deserve the praise. Hard work, man. Always a good feeling when it pays off.

Sometimes I wish I were shorter. I actually envy you guys that can eat so little and still make gains. I'm currently at 4000 calories daily, and it's a real pain in the ass preparing and eating that much food every day.

[quote name='Allnatural']Sometimes I wish I were shorter. I actually envy you guys that can eat so little and still make gains. I'm currently at 4000 calories daily, and it's a real pain in the ass preparing and eating that much food every day.[/QUOTE]

That's a swimmer's diet, sir. How tall are you? I know a guy who's, say, 6-feet 7-or-9-inches and he eats that amount of calories to stave off starvation.

I pulled between my shoulder blades while doing reps while exhausted. Can't turn my neck. I should have known better. Such an amateur mistake.

Okay, getting back into the zone - work is going to make it difficult but as long as I do either one of the DDP Yoga routines or 20 minutes of intervals on the bike I'll be happy. Ideally I will do both - which I did Monday and Tuesday (my days off) but just did the bike tonight.

I think I need a new scale, it fluctuates between 276, 278, and 280 depending on where I place it on the floor.

With the scale, just find a set place to keep it and make sure it doesn't move :p

I forgot to post my wednesday way in with the progress pics, I was at 177.6. I don't think I can go any lower, I honestly am not trying to lose anymore weight at this point, I know I can't get lower without losing muscle. I threw my low calorie plan for the week out the window (the one I made when I had a "fat" day LOL).

I finally ordered the Withings scale...mostly for a body fat number (as long as it's constant, I'm not *too* worried about minor inaccuracy). Had some GC's to burn.

Went through old photo albums and found a pic of me at my biggest. Dear god. First day of high school. Looked depressed as hell here.

0094e7a1.jpg

For reference, I took this today.

504642ae.jpg

bread's done
Back