CAG NFL Season Discussion

I was beginning to think Chip Kelly was an evil genius that would show up with something amazing. Now I think he just blew a gasket and the front office hasn't realized it yet. The only good thing that could come of this is seeing Tebow absolutely destroyed by the Philly fanbase. Actually I would pay to see that, could possibly beat out their abuse of Santa. That actually makes me smile.

This comes up way too often in CAG NFL threads. There is a specific formula that determines each team's schedule. They don't just throw matchups together.
Wikipedia

Currently, the thirteen opponents each team faces over the 16-game regular season schedule are set using a pre-determined formula:[5]

• Each team plays twice against each of the other three teams in its division: once at home, and once on the road (six games). This matchup of intra-division opponents is a constant every season.
  • Each team plays once against each of the four teams from another division within its own conference, with the assigned division based on a three-year rotation: two at home, and two on the road (four games).
  • Each team plays once against one team from each of the remaining two divisions within its conference, based on the final division standings from the prior season: one at home, one on the road (two games).
  • Each team plays once against each of the four teams from a division in the other conference, with the assigned division based on a four-year rotation: two at home, and two on the road (four games).
Under this formula, all teams are guaranteed to play every other team in their own conference at least once every three years, and to play every team in the other conference exactly once every four years. The formula also guarantees a similar schedule for every team in a division each season, as all four teams will play fourteen out of their sixteen games against common opponents or each other.

Non-divisional intraconference match-ups can occur over consecutive years if two teams happen to finish in the same place consistently. For example, even though the Colts and Patriots are in different divisions within the same conference, the two teams played each other every season between 2003 and 2012 because both teams finished in first place in their divisions each previous season. Similarly, the Redskins and the Rams played each other each season from 2008 to 2011 because both teams kept landing in fourth place in their divisions.

Although this scheduling formula determines each of the thirty-two teams' respective opponents, the league usually does not release the final regular schedule with specific dates and times until the spring; the NFL needs several months to coordinate the entire season schedule so that, among other reasons, games are worked around various scheduling conflicts, and that it helps maximize TV ratings.[6][7] Since 2010, all Week 17 games have consisted solely of divisional contests, in an attempt to increase competition after several cases of playoff-bound teams resting their regular starters and playing their reserves

Under the original 2002 formula, half of the teams scheduled to play all the AFC West clubs had to travel to both Oakland and San Diego in the same season, while half of the clubs playing the NFC West had to make their way to both San Francisco and Seattle. In years in which a division was scheduled to play both AFC and NFC West teams, two clubs (such as the New England Patriots and New York Jets in 2008) each had to make cross-country trips to all four of the aforementioned west coast teams.

As a result, after all of the teams had cycled through playing against each other both home and away by the end of the 2009 season, the NFL tweaked the pairings to relieve teams from having to travel to the west coast more than twice in a season. Under the modifications implemented in 2010, clubs now only have to travel to play one team based on the west coast (either Oakland or San Diego) in years they play the teams in the AFC West, and only one such team (either San Francisco or Seattle) in years they play the NFC West.[9]

Last edited by a moderator:
So unless a disaster occurs Colts should be able to get home field for playoffs. That's a good looking schedule for home games. Now here's to hoping Luck doesn't get injured in Miami in week 16.

Yes, and in real life.

Puff, puff, pass man. I want whatever you're on.

Let's see. That's a win. Home game, win. Another win right there. Good news everyone, all of our favorite teams are going 13-3 at worst!

Just getting the team acclimated to their new location in a year or two.
The NFL seems to like to use LA as leverage to force cities and States to pay for new Stadiums, which is happening in STL. (Even though the dome opened in 1995)

Although if it does happen and the Rams leave, then I'll never watch an NFL game ever again.

I'm a Broncos fan, and if the Colts don't get the number one seed with that cupcake schedule then there is no hope for Luck and the Colts ever.  They have the 31st easiest schedule... seriously week 10 bye and then from there @ Atlanta, Home vs. Bucs, @ Steelers, @ Jacksonville, Home vs. Houston, @ Miami, and then home vs. Tennessee...

Must be nice playing in the AFC South....

They won't even make the playoffs.
365dp2.jpg

I'm a Broncos fan, and if the Colts don't get the number one seed with that cupcake schedule then there is no hope for Luck and the Colts ever. They have the 31st easiest schedule... seriously week 10 bye and then from there @ Atlanta, Home vs. Bucs, @ Steelers, @ Jacksonville, Home vs. Houston, @ Miami, and then home vs. Tennessee...

Hey now, Steelers will be a good game. Like I said as long as there are no injuries due to a certain player in Miami, my favorite team is looking real good to lock down home field and then do well in the playoffs. A quarter of the teams that the Colts play don't even have QBs to speak of.

Aww yeah, Thanksgiving day game for the first time ever! Other than that, the Panthers' schedule is alright. Never like the early season byes, which Carolina always seems to have. Tough stretch after that bye (at Seattle, MNF vs Philly, SNF vs Indy, vs GB). It'll be interesting to see how it plays out as I could see a lot of streaks (win first 4, lose next 4).

EDIT: lol at the Rams schedule. Opening and closing the season in Cali is hilarious. I'll be sad to see them leave, though.

Greg Hardy has been suspended 10 games. Purely a PR move.

EDIT: As for the Iggles, I can see them making the playoffs, but they will likely be the 6th seed. I imagine most people consider the North and West #2's the favorites as after that you have a muddled field (Bears, Vikes, NO, Bucs, Falcons, Redskins, Giants, 49ers, and Rams) to wade through. And there is always the possibility that San Fran, Giants, or the Saints get hot and make a run.

Hey now, Steelers will be a good game. Like I said as long as there are no injuries due to a certain player in Miami, my favorite team is looking real good to lock down home field and then do well in the playoffs. A quarter of the teams that the Colts play don't even have QBs to speak of.
Doesn't guarantee them doing well in the playoffs. They have an easy schedule and teams that don't have a QB... yes Pitt will be a tougher game but that's it. Trust me as a Broncos fan, having a easy stretch into the playoffs can bring some bad play against really good teams, especially the high likelihood that New England will most likely play Indy in the playoffs.

I'm a Broncos fan, and if the Colts don't get the number one seed with that cupcake schedule then there is no hope for Luck and the Colts ever. They have the 31st easiest schedule... seriously week 10 bye and then from there @ Atlanta, Home vs. Bucs, @ Steelers, @ Jacksonville, Home vs. Houston, @ Miami, and then home vs. Tennessee...

Only way that schedule could be easier is if they played the Eagles.

I don't understand the 10 games. Isn't the first suspension under the personal conduct policy supposed to be 6 games? This is like the A-Rod thing all over again. These sports unions are becoming spineless.

10 games just about ends the guys career after missing 15 last year. He basically had his career end over something that didn't even yield jail time. I know he is guilty but I still feel that should weigh on what went down. I have never liked sports leagues dictating punishments for off field discretions because there is never and ryhme or reason to the punishment scale.

Donte Stallworth killed someone and he missed almost the same amount of time as AP and less time than Greg Hardy.

I don't understand the 10 games. Isn't the first suspension under the personal conduct policy supposed to be 6 games? This is like the A-Rod thing all over again. These sports unions are becoming spineless.

10 games just about ends the guys career after missing 15 last year. He basically had his career end over something that didn't even yield jail time. I know he is guilty but I still feel that should weigh on what went down. I have never liked sports leagues dictating punishments for off field discretions because there is never and ryhme or reason to the punishment scale.

Donte Stallworth killed someone and he missed almost the same amount of time as AP and less time than Greg Hardy.
Yes but the time has changed now. Cowboys took a chance with Hardy and lost. They knew what they were getting into by signing him.

Yes but the time has changed now. Cowboys took a chance with Hardy and lost. They knew what they were getting into by signing him.
They lost a chance to not have to invest in a DE in the draft but financially they didn't lose too much since his contract was based on the number of games played and his incentives are related to him generating a number of sacks that is going to be impossible for him to get if he isn't playing every game.

Doesn't guarantee them doing well in the playoffs. They have an easy schedule and teams that don't have a QB... yes Pitt will be a tougher game but that's it. Trust me as a Broncos fan, having a easy stretch into the playoffs can bring some bad play against really good teams, especially the high likelihood that New England will most likely play Indy in the playoffs.
Very true. I am hoping that this year's defense can be more like what we saw in the Colts Broncos playoff game (though who knows how much was due to a banged up Manning) and less like every time we play the Patriots.I don't really follow the draft news closely but a player that can make an immediate impact stopping the run from game one would be nice.

With the offensive free agent moves putting points on the board shouldn't be a problem. Of course I say this but then watch week one injuries occur. *knocks on wood* I hear it's a good running back class so waiting a bit and grabbing someone to learn from Gore might not be bad either.

That said I don't pretend to know shit about drafting.

Very true. I am hoping that this year's defense can be more like what we saw in the Colts Broncos playoff game (though who knows how much was due to a banged up Manning) and less like every time we play the Patriots.I don't really follow the draft news closely but a player that can make an immediate impact stopping the run from game one would be nice.

With the offensive free agent moves putting points on the board shouldn't be a problem. Of course I say this but then watch week one injuries occur. *knocks on wood* I hear it's a good running back class so waiting a bit and grabbing someone to learn from Gore might not be bad either.

That said I don't pretend to know shit about drafting.
When your team has done well, it can be a carpshot at the end of the first

Robots suck at putting sarcasm in their voice...and their typing. Seriously, I wanted whatever I figured you had to be on.

[quote name="sweeetja713" post="12662235" timestamp="1430098057"]Robots suck at putting sarcasm in their voice...and their typing. Seriously, I wanted whatever I figured you had to be on.[/quote]
Well, saying the Eagles had an elite QB gave it away. Pretty disappointed by y'all.

[quote name="sweeetja713" post="12662279" timestamp="1430100052"]You could be a Philly fan transplanted in Washington or Colorado. Or really drunk all day.[/quote]
I'm in Puerto Rico so I don't have a team. Hahaha

49ers are going to unveil an alternate jersey today. 99.99% chance it's black because, well, black. I doubt they go for a gold jersey. I already hate it.

The Browns new uniforms are probably the best new uniforms that Nike has made and that is mostly because Cleveland wanted to keep a classic look. All other NIke uniforms are ugly as hell.

Ahahaha, Goodell can't escape the crowd booing him. Even when he tried to get a cheap cheer "and thanks to you, the fans" Boo!

bread's done
Back