CAG NFL Season Discussion

Gruden: "Rams haven't had a featured back since Eric Dickerson and Jerome Bettis."

Yea, screw that scrub Steven Jackson! He was only the entire Rams offense during the 00's...

I'm not sure who's crazier, the Eagles for making the offer or the Titans for turning it down. I really hope for the Titans sake that he ends up being worth the hype.

Titans are fuck ing insane. So are the damn Colts. I understand passing on Gregory. Particularly with the bad taste of someone else not working out with work ethic mentality issues. But I thought Montcrief was pretty promising. Are they just trying to cram in as much Johnson teaching time as possible with top receivers and truly taking a top player on their board approach without realizing that you have to play defense too?

Yes loaded offense, great. Now let's do something about stopping the other team's offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Titans are fuck ing insane. So are the damn Colts. I understand passing on Gregory. Particularly with the bad taste of someone else not working out with work ethic mentality issues. But I thought Montcrief was pretty promising. Are they just trying to cram in as much Johnson teaching time as possible with top receivers and truly taking a top player on their board approach without realizing that you have to play defense too?

Yes loaded offense, great. Now let's do something about stopping the other team's offense.
Offense sells tickets and merch though...

Defense sells tickets and merch if you have a competent and/or dominant defense.

Colts have never really focused on that side of the ball in the draft or in contract money and it shows. You would think they would have learned from the mistakes of the Manning era but apparently not.

I think too much is being made out of that. He's young and it's not really that big of a deal. That fact that is even being reported is stupid in my mind. I don't like the guy but too much is being made out of that.

so instead of losing to the Patriots by 38, it will be more like 31? :lol:

Chip offered this to The Titans :shock: They weren't lying when they said he was going all in for Mariota

Two first-round picks
One third-round pick
Fletcher Cox,
Brandon Boykin
Sam Bradford
Mychal Kendricks

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tennessee-titans-got-insane-trade-012700920.html
I don't know. I sort of get it. What Whisenhunt has been saying is that getting a franchise QB supercedes everything. And I guess I can agree with that. If you think about the star players that have come and gone in the time the Titans haven't had a solid QB, it's pretty crazy.

Having a beast running back doesn't matter if you have no passing game. Having stud receivers doesn't matter if your QB can't make basic throws. And even if your shut down defense only allows 10 points per game...your offense still has to score more than that.

So, from that perspective...it makes sense. The question though, is if Mariota is that guy. Is he Colin Kaepernick or is he Tim Tebow? Whisenhunt is basically putting his reputation and job on the line with this pick.

They fucked up.
I'm ok with the pick. The part that I do find interesting though is his lack of production at the collegiate level. Armstead fills in the need to play as a 3 down "5 technique" 3-4 base defensive end. The question is whether he'll be able to crack the starting lineup. Similar to Aldon Smith, he's being drafted for the long term but there are guys already there that might keep him to playing a limited amount of snaps in his rookie season. I would have liked a receiver because this front office can't figure out how to draft wideouts so I would have been happy with a WR taken too though.

As for that turd Goodell it was funny that he butchered the Mariota name. Just two names into the draft and already he can't get their names straight hah.

I don't know. I sort of get it. What Whisenhunt has been saying is that getting a franchise QB supercedes everything. And I guess I can agree with that. If you think about the star players that have come and gone in the time the Titans haven't had a solid QB, it's pretty crazy.

Having a beast running back doesn't matter if you have no passing game. Having stud receivers doesn't matter if your QB can't make basic throws. And even if your shut down defense only allows 10 points per game...your offense still has to score more than that.
Pretty much. And you don't get a shot at one of the top QBs in the draft every year. The top 2 picks this year had that kind of value for a reason. Teams are desperate to get that franchise QB because they know that they can't have lasting success without them. Like you said about the star players, Titans could have taken a guy like Leonard Williams or any other non QB and 5 years from now when his first contract is up, they might still not have a QB who is good enough to win playoff games.

I'm not sure if I believe that package the Eagles supposedly offered either. All I heard before the draft was that Bradford was only willing to re-sign with the Eagles, so I don't see why Titans, Browns, or anyone else would look at him as a valuable part of a trade at this point, especially considering his salary. The other players offered are legitimate contributors though and would have sped up the rebuilding process along with the extra draft picks. If that offer was legit, it really shows the value of a potential franchise QB.

I'm ok with the pick. The part that I do find interesting though is his lack of production at the collegiate level. Armstead fills in the need to play as a 3 down "5 technique" 3-4 base defensive end. The question is whether he'll be able to crack the starting lineup. Similar to Aldon Smith, he's being drafted for the long term but there are guys already there that might keep him to playing a limited amount of snaps in his rookie season. I would have liked a receiver because this front office can't figure out how to draft wideouts so I would have been happy with a WR taken too though.
He could still make an impact in the defensive line rotation even if he is not a starter right away. I kind of feel a similar way about the Ravens picking Breshad Perriman. He seems like a raw receiver who might not start week 1, but at the very least, he should be able to fill that deep threat role right away. The 49ers picking up those 2 middle round picks from the Chargers for only moving back 2 spots was really nice though. I didn't think the Texans were going to take a RB, so it seemed to me like the Chargers wasted 2 picks there.

so instead of losing to the Patriots by 38, it will be more like 31? :lol:
Well to be fair the Colts did have a crazy amount of catchable dropped passes last year. I think in that unofficial stat they led the league and something to that effect was even mentioned during the AFC Championship game. Maybe they don't trust Montcrief's hands after beginning practice.

Plus Dorsset is scary fast and has reliable hands. Lined up outside with Hilton and Johnson working the middle? That's some hard shit to cover. So I say mere 21 point looses to the Patriots are well within reach. Maybe even 14 with Gore.

But for the love of God, go get some talented defensive players tonight. Find a reasonable way to trade up if need be for a quality guy you know can adapt to the rigors of being a pro athlete and will put in the work. Just realize that you have to play defense and teams that can run are killing you.

That said I don't know draft information very well. Assuming that the Colts want to make smart choices from here on out who are some players that might be in their range? And who might I dream of them trading up for. Offensive line wouldn't be a horrible choice either but my impression was this is a very weak class.

Well to be fair the Colts did have a crazy amount of catchable dropped passes last year. I think in that unofficial stat they led the league and something to that effect was even mentioned during the AFC Championship game. Maybe they don't trust Montcrief's hands after beginning practice.

Plus Dorsset is scary fast and has reliable hands. Lined up outside with Hilton and Johnson working the middle? That's some hard shit to cover. So I say mere 21 point looses to the Patriots are well within reach. Maybe even 14 with Gore.

But for the love of God, go get some talented defensive players tonight. Find a reasonable way to trade up if need be for a quality guy you know can adapt to the rigors of being a pro athlete and will put in the work. Just realize that you have to play defense and teams that can run are killing you.

That said I don't know draft information very well. Assuming that the Colts want to make smart choices from here on out who are some players that might be in their range?
When the Colts beat the broncos 2 years ago, it was because of Mathis. Defense can be the difference and the Colts need to address that side, with all the additions I was shocked they went WR with a 1st rounder...

When the Colts beat the broncos 2 years ago, it was because of Mathis. Defense can be the difference and the Colts need to address that side, with all the additions I was shocked they went WR with a 1st rounder...
Exactly. I can rationalize like hell but damn it defense is where the most improvement is needed. Best player approach was probably not the best move.

Exactly. I can rationalize like hell but damn it defense is where the most improvement is needed. Best player approach was probably not the best move.
i don't even think it was best player available FYI... they went after WR over any thing else. Especially the guys still on the board with Landon Collins, Jalen Collins, Goldman, and of course Gregory (who slipped out of the first for Pot problems, but was a top 5 player before that).

and of course Gregory (who slipped out of the first for Pot problems, but was a top 5 player before that).
If Gregory only had drug problems, he would have gone in the first like Shane Ray, who was caught with weed as recently as Monday. There are mental concerns and potential weight issues that go along with the drug problems. A real boom or bust prospect. It will be interesting to see who takes a chance on him.

As for that turd Goodell it was funny that he butchered the Mariota name. Just two names into the draft and already he can't get their names straight hah.
Yeah, he just doesn't feel like a first rounder. He doesn't get qb sacks and only two blocked passes for a giant like him is very bad. I'm not impressed.

The second round pick sucked too.

Titans trade down in the 2nd and are still able to grab Dorial Green-Beckham. If he can get his shit together and not be Josh Gordon/Justin Blackmon, that will be a hell of a steal and a great target for Mariota.

Ok not watching live what did the Colts get for that pick

Edit: besides the opportunity to draft another player not at a needed position. Unless they are going to try and convert him to safety.

Edit 2: And there goes Eli Harold, a linebacker, you know a position of need and from what I am reading would have been a damn good choice.

Niners really replenishing that defense with these defensive picks. They got 3 picks in the 4th round (we'll see if they get any more good defensive help & some good offensive weapons).

am I the only one who doesn't care about this deflategate thing? colts weren't going to win anyway & the seahawks choked. the pats are not my team but you gotta admit, brady can ball (no pun intended).

am I the only one who doesn't care about this deflategate thing? colts weren't going to win anyway & the seahawks choked. the pats are not my team but you gotta admit, brady can ball (no pun intended).
I think it is honestly past the actual deflating the balls. More about Brady adamantly denying he had any wrong doing, not cooperating with the investigation, and also pretty much throwing two low level equipment managers under the bus and putting all blame on them when he was clearly involved.

I have heard several past NFL QB's say the inflation rules are dumb and it shouldn't be a big deal had Brady just said he did it. It is the fact that we have one of the faces of the NFL lying numerous times and refusing to help the investigation.

Yeesh. Jags' top pick Dante Fowler suffered a knee injury today in practice, just one week after he was drafted.
That's what I hate about OTAs and training camp, players always getting hurt. What do you guys think about the Cowboys picking up Collins? The dude is a scary man in the trenches. When ever I watched LSU play, you could just see how dominate he was. If Gregory can keep his head on straight, the Cowboys got three first round picks which will really help them.

That's what I hate about OTAs and training camp, players always getting hurt. What do you guys think about the Cowboys picking up Collins? The dude is a scary man in the trenches. When ever I watched LSU play, you could just see how dominate he was. If Gregory can keep his head on straight, the Cowboys got three first round picks which will really help them.
Yupp, they took flyers on guys, with really only Gregory being a true liability since Collins has been completely cleared and is not a suspect in the case that dropped him.

Seems like a bunch of teams lined up for him, by Dallas won out by guaranteeing his whole contract. Good pickups all around, Dallas will be on the ups for years to come.

I would at least thought Brady would get a game or two suspension but not 4 games and draft picks too. Wow, that is harsh.

I would at least thought Brady would get a game or two suspension but not 4 games and draft picks too. Wow, that is harsh.
Think of what the Saints got... this is what the third time the Pats have been involved in some kind of scandal? Brady lied, so i think the penalties are actually just fine

Think of what the Saints got... this is what the third time the Pats have been involved in some kind of scandal? Brady lied, so i think the penalties are actually just fine
Yeah, I think this punishment is not for the deflated balls but it is for Brady lying and not cooperating with the investigation. Now the punishment make sense to me now.

Yeah, I think this punishment is not for the deflated balls but it is for Brady lying and not cooperating with the investigation. Now the punishment make sense to me now.
The patriots punishment is because again, this is like the third time they have been involved in something, so it is trying to make an example of them

just found out Brady got suspended, jeez that does seem like a lot. Wondering if he can get that reduce to 2 or 3. In that division, they probably could still win it with games to spare.

just found out Brady got suspended, jeez that does seem like a lot. Wondering if he can get that reduce to 2 or 3. In that division, they probably could still win it with games to spare.
Every single team in the AFC East got better this offseason, so I doubt the Patriots will win the division as easily. The Dolphins and Bills could both make serious runs at the AFC East title.

Everybody said that the last 2-3 years and the Patriots still won easily.
The Dolphins are a much better team this year, and they could have easily won 3 or 4 more games last year, if their defense did not blow leads in the 4th quarter. If the Bills get any production from the qb position, they also have a chance to win the division. The Jets probably won't contend for the division, but I could see them winning 2 or 3 more games than they did last year.

The Patriots also play three good teams in the first four games, and they could easily be 1-3 when Brady comes back to play the Colts.

you may get a much easier team, he can't even be around the team for 5 weeks, and comes back the Monday before the Colts... not that easy to just jump in...
Yeah it's going to be easier but it's still better preparation for the playoffs than facing the Patriots without him. I was upset at first but really the timing is probably ideal.

well brady looks like he is going to fight it. if the worst offenders in the league can get penalties and suspensions reduced, brady can (im starting to sound like colin cowherd when he gushes over brady).

bread's done
Back