CAG Niche Backloggers Anonymous (Monster Hunter World!) [February]

Yeah, that's kinda the problem with backlogs, you don't know where people's heads are. It's actually more simple with a tentpole release like Persona 5. We've been looking forward to it so long, it simply trumped all backlogs. I'm down for whatever though.
It was a bit better before, we had a couple months where a game would win by a landslide. But after Persona 5 I guess everyone is content and willing to explore other games. We have an unprecedented number of games suggested and most have 1 vote, so the activity is there, its just really spread out.

Going through the list again, I see that if we do it by series, Yakuza is the only series with more than 1 game suggested. If we do it by genre, almost all the games are RPGs. If we do it by type, most of the games are Fantasy, some are Hardcore Action, one is Horror.

I also vote for Gravity Rush/Remastered, since I pretty sure I'll be playing that next month.

Here are the votes so far, perhaps someone looks at this list and wants to change up their suggestions?

July

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

Final Fantasy Type-0

Ever Oasis

Operation Abyss

Stranger of Sword City

Catherine

Yakuza 5

Fire Emblem Echoes

Ico

Corpse Party

Record of Agarest War

Yakuza 0

Pokemon Sun/Moon

Samurai Warriors 4

Senran Kagura Estival Versus

Gravity Rush/Remastered

Last edited by a moderator:
Yakuza 0 vote for me too. I need to finish up about 6 chapters or so. Good game (though I think the story is weaker than some of the other titles in the series). Still really good. I'm going to play Libra of the Vampire Princess so i'll toss in that vote too haha though I doubt anyone will vote that.

I was going to suggest Stein's Gate 0 and Root Letter, but I'll save those for another month. I'll vote for Gravity Rush, Catherine, and Stranger of Sword City.

Do you need to play the other Yakuzas to understand the story?

Watching Yakuza 6 gameplay at E3 made me want to get it.

Ok, updated the tallies, and condensed both Yakuza 0 and 5 into Yakuza series. 

There's 4 games with over 2 votes now, so I'll narrow it down to these 4 unless someone makes a Hail Mary vote. 

Catherine-3, Corpse Party-4, Yakuza Series-6, Gravity Rush/Remaster/2-5

Corpse Party would be any games of that series, same for Yakuza, Gravity Rush includes Remastered and Gravity Rush 2.

I want to narrow it down to 2, so I might make a separate voting thread tmrw.

I'm here for a like.
Hmm? We're just doing the suggestions/voting right now, the poll will start tomorrow or so, and the next game of the month probably by next week. You can still suggest something or pick someone else's choices to back since we still got time.

If a single game is preferred to a series, I would absolutely be down for Catherine.
Single game or series is fine. I actually thought a series would be better, since more choices for people to pick. I was thinking if it was possible to bundle anything with Catherine, but nothing I can think of comes close.

But yeah, I haven't touched my PS3 in a long, long time, and was just thinking about Catherine recently after beating P5. Would definitely love to play it again, since there's multiple endings and I've only gotten one.

Hmm? We're just doing the suggestions/voting right now, the poll will start tomorrow or so, and the next game of the month probably by next week. You can still suggest something or pick someone else's choices to back since we still got time.
Have you forgotten your spoiler tagged promise from the OP BRW?! Amnesia?!

Okay, the voting thread for July is up! I guess I'll keep it open until around the 30th or so. As always, the discussions stays in this thread, new voting thread since I can't edit existing ones.

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/363403-backloggers-anonymous-july-voting-thread-discussions-stay-in-other-thread/

Games are: Catherine, Corpse Party, Gravity Rush, Yakuza.

I also added a few questions to see how well the system actually works and if it needs changes. So answer honestly if you can, thanks!

Have you forgotten your spoiler tagged promise from the OP BRW?! Amnesia?!
I'm surprised someone actually read the OP, thanks! Even I forgot I wrote it.

I also added a few questions to see how well the system actually works and if it needs changes. So answer honestly if you can, thanks!
Could you clarify "How many of the games are you willing to play if you could choose more than 1?" a bit?

At first I took it as how many games would I be willing to play next month. On a second look I wonder if it means if more than one of the games up for vote would be a game I would play. I voted "Still just 1" because I would probably play just one July GOTM. However, there are two choices that I would play as the Julty GOTM.

Do you need to play the other Yakuzas to understand the story?

Watching Yakuza 6 gameplay at E3 made me want to get it.
Yakuza 0 is my first Yakuza game, and its the origin story so you'll be fine playing Yakuza 0. Yakuza Kiwami will be my second game; I think they are respectively the first and second Yakuza games, just remastered.

After those two though, I would go through Yakuza 3-5 on the PS3 and have all of them done by the time Yakuza 6 is out.

I'm very likely to finish Yakuza 0 and then Gravity Rush Remastered is in my backlog and I heard isn't too lengthy. I would be willing to do 2 for sure...and I still have a few hours of Persona 5 (just became pretty busy and needed to play something that wasn't an RPG). Should hopefully finish all 3 this July.

Finally beat P5, what an amazing game! Now I just need to decide if I want to put off my backlog even more and go for the Platinum...

Could you clarify "How many of the games are you willing to play if you could choose more than 1?" a bit?

At first I took it as how many games would I be willing to play next month. On a second look I wonder if it means if more than one of the games up for vote would be a game I would play. I voted "Still just 1" because I would probably play just one July GOTM. However, there are two choices that I would play as the Julty GOTM.
Yeah, pretty much your 2nd look is right. Basically, if I made 2 or more games as GOTM, how many from that list would you be willing to play? I would say don't even look at how many choices you would consider, but how much time you would put in to it and if you would actually play more than one of those games for that month.

Yakuza 0 is my first Yakuza game, and its the origin story so you'll be fine playing Yakuza 0. Yakuza Kiwami will be my second game; I think they are respectively the first and second Yakuza games, just remastered.

After those two though, I would go through Yakuza 3-5 on the PS3 and have all of them done by the time Yakuza 6 is out.
I think Yakuza 0 is the prequel, so it's before Yakuza 1. And Yakuza Kiwami is the remake of 1. I have never really touched the series, so I don't really know outside of reading other people's posts.

But I would assume it's Yakuza 0, then Yakuza Kiwami (Yakuza 1), then Yakuza 2 (PS2), then Yakuza 3-5 (PS3), then Yakuza 6?

Finally beat P5, what an amazing game! Now I just need to decide if I want to put off my backlog even more and go for the Platinum...
Congrats! I would advise you to wait a little while though, just to clear your head and bit and take a breather. Maybe a month or two is good?

this is great a community game club. i voted for catherine. i played like maybe 40% of that game years ago when it came out but never got around to finishing it. same with yakuza actually, very interested in being a part of this.

this is great a community game club. i voted for catherine. i played like maybe 40% of that game years ago when it came out but never got around to finishing it. same with yakuza actually, very interested in being a part of this.
Awesome, welcome to the club!

Just a bit curious, are you interested in any of the games we've had for previous Backlog Game of the Months?

This is the list: Atelier Rorona Plus, Valkyria Chronicles Remastered, Steins;Gate, Persona 4 Golden, Akiba's Trip, Bloodborne, Final Fantasy XV, Ni No Kuni, and Persona 5.

Last chance to vote guys, and seeing as how 3 games are tied right now, I might just make it a 3 game month next month. Judging by the questions, it seems quite a few people will play only 1 though, but more than half are willing to play more than 1. Also, from the last question, it seems everyone at least has one of the games on the list, and most are willing to play them. So that means this system is working pretty well and I'll keep it for next month.

Also, I'll be instituting a new system where the previous month's suggestion that didn't get to become GOTM will automatically be suggested and get a vote for next month. So Corpse Party will automatically get a suggestion for August GOTM. I might even make the votes carry over to next month.

Yeah, Stranger of Sword City was updated with 2 votes on my final excel, I just never posted that version.

I actually bought the CE from the AMZ glitch a while back and wanted to play it for a while since the art looks so good and I need a game to play on my vita.

Hmm, I wonder if I should carry over all previous votes and just keep building on those votes until we get through all the backlog games we previously suggested. That way we'll run through all the games eventually, but people might have a change of opinion sometimes, or something like Persona 5 pops up and everyone wants to play that first.

I'm not pushing it cause I remembered it has an enhanced edition that's digital only. I'd rather wait for it to go to 75% off first, honestly.

Sadly I'll never see a PC version for the enhanced edition more than likely. The enhanced edition was self-published by EXPERIENCE and I seriously doubt they'll bother bringing it to the PC. Really sucks.

I remember buying it at launch, playing it a bit and then the very next week hearing that there was an enhanced edition. Pretty sure I stopped my playthrough immediately after that. That shit annoys me so much.

Awesome, welcome to the club!

Just a bit curious, are you interested in any of the games we've had for previous Backlog Game of the Months?

This is the list: Atelier Rorona Plus, Valkyria Chronicles Remastered, Steins;Gate, Persona 4 Golden, Akiba's Trip, Bloodborne, Final Fantasy XV, Ni No Kuni, and Persona 5.
yeah actually ni no kuni is in my backlog and i plan on buying FF15 and persona 5.

I've edited the 1st post and the title guys, so the July GOTM is officially on.

Games are Catherine, Gravity Rush (Series), and Yakuza (Series).

I actually forgot Catherine was out for the X360 until I looked up the box art.

Also, I've added something to the Wiki, where you can use that to update the progress on your backlog game, such as # of hours played, or chapter # passed. Just try to refrain from spoilers. Thanks!

Gonna work on Gravity Rush Remastered this month, possibly Catherine if I plat GRR fast. 

Haven't even touched it yet though.

Well, looks like I'll be joining in with Catherine. The real question is, will my family think that I'm still playing Persona 5 because of the similar art-style?

Playing through Catherine. I'm loving the story and characters, but I'm quickly remembering why I dropped this game in the first place. Even on easy mode I'm absolutely garbage when it comes to these puzzles. I just beat the third floor and I'm already driving myself crazy.

I'm playing Yakuza 4. I got it and Yakuza 5 as PS+ games. I don't have Gravity Rush, and I already beat Catherine.

I'm in chapter 3. I'm enjoying it. The cut scenes are entertaining, and the heat action moves are awesome.

After my first heat action move leveled up it reminded me I bought God Hand not too long ago. That might be a future game I nominate.

im going to finish Yakuza 3 before jumping back into Catherine this month. im on chapter 7 in Yakuza 3 and i love walking around that city. as far as completion % is concerned i really want to unlock all the lockers, do all the side quests/hitman missions and unlock the hidden skills. im ok with not unlocking or getting every possible weapon upgrade.

Gonna work on Gravity Rush Remastered this month, possibly Catherine if I plat GRR fast.

Haven't even touched it yet though.
Going to do the same thing. I've started GR 3 times, got an hour or 2 in, and then got distracted....I love what I've played, I don't know why I'm having such a hard time finishing it. This will be the month that I do though!

Finished Catherine... Well... I got one ending. I'm tempted to just YouTube the other endings as the thought of replaying those puzzle segments irritates me. I might just finish yakuza 5 instead while my PS3 is still plugged in.

Playing through Catherine. I'm loving the story and characters, but I'm quickly remembering why I dropped this game in the first place. Even on easy mode I'm absolutely garbage when it comes to these puzzles. I just beat the third floor and I'm already driving myself crazy.
My gosh, I'm at the same point, both in game and mental state. I fancy myself as a pretty logically minded guy (professionally, I mix engineering and law) but these puzzles are pissing me off. I dont like the 'chasing you' sections in particular or the block puzzles in general, but I might be able to take it if I didnt feel I was fighting the controls the whole damn time. It males no sense that I can hit "right" on the D-pad multiple times and only switch between the same two positions. And then on top of it you have the nerve to reverse my controls? fuck this game!

On top of that, the story really makes Vincent to be an unlikeable d-bag so far. I'm not opposed to man-whoring in video games, but if you're going to do it, do it expeditiously. Be enthusiastic. Dont act like you were just walking down the street , tripped and fell in between a girl's legs. take some ownership of your actions!

Oh well, we'll see how I feel tomorrow night, whether I play more or just youtube it. Though I dont particularly like Vincent (so far) I'd still like to see how this plays out.

I did beat Persona 5, yay! Great game, totally gonna new game plus... in 5 years...

I have no idea what to play for this month, I really enjoyed Catherine, I played it to the end when it first came out.

I've played neither gravity rush or yakuza. I'll have to see if I ever got any of those free on ps+, I feel like I did...

IIRC, one of the Yakuza's was free not too long ago, and I think another one was free some time in the past.

I've had Yakuza 4 in my backlog for a long time, so I'm gonna try and start on it soon. The only other Yakuza game I've played is 3, and I did enjoy that, especially the story.

I did beat Persona 5, yay! Great game, totally gonna new game plus... in 5 years...

I have no idea what to play for this month, I really enjoyed Catherine, I played it to the end when it first came out.

I've played neither gravity rush or yakuza. I'll have to see if I ever got any of those free on ps+, I feel like I did...
I got both Yakuza 4 and 5 for free on PS+, so most likely those are the ones you got

I don't have Yakuza 5. Damn must of missed that month. I do have Gravity Rush and Yakuza 4 from ps plus though.

completed chapter 7,8 and 9 in yakuza 3 and while i do love the combat im always so ill prepared when it comes to boss battles. the end of chapter 9 the big fight with Lau Ka Long i was getting my ass kicked when you get to his 3rd health bar. so i guess im going to have to actually start upgrading and finding new moves to learn and just carrying more health items. the story seems all over the place at times because characters pop up, things happen and you can see the main characters reacting and im sitting there like ..i dont know who that is. im hoping to finish the story this weekend.

Aw man, I don't remember getting Gravity Rush free from PS+, I either missed it or I forgot about it. I bought that game twice too.

The good news is, I actually started Gravity Rush Remastered today, only got as far as the 1st time you could save, but it's a start.

Reading through all the comments, I don't think I'll have the patience to sit through Catherine.

Japan has Gravity Rush Remastered on PS+ this month (Called Gravity Daze there). I think the original was on PS+ for the Asia region a ways back as well, but since it's on Vita you have to deal with that account fuckery which few people want to bother with considering the ridiculous prices of proprietary memory cards.

I forgot that I had a copy of Gravity Rush on the Vita (PS+ once upon a time maybe?). I have to at least give that a taste.  The boys have been taking a lot of the PS3 day time with Lego Harry Potter and I've just been tired the last 2 nights to play after they go to bed. Catherine is definitely *not* a game I can play in front of them. My wife chastises me for all the cursing Ryuji and Morgana do in P5. She'd freak if I let them watch Catherine.

I believe Gravity Rush was included in the "Instant Game Collection" part of PS+ they had for a bit. If you got PS+ you got some new titles every month in addition to a selection of titles for each platform that stayed static for a while.

I forgot there was an actual list, which of course there is.

Japan

Asia

North America

Europe

Asia got it first, then North America about 8 months later roughly for the original. Japan never had it for PS+. Asia did get Gravity Rush Remastered in the latter half of last year and then Japan just received it this month.

So Gravity Rush was free from November 2012. I didn't even have PS+ then so no wonder I never got it.

Gravity Rush Remastered is a huge upgrade from the Vita version though. I've played the 1st half or so on the Vita, and everything looks way better on the PS4 version. I thought it might've just been a port and look similar, but everything looks completely reworked, even the way the tutorials work and the map system. The graphics are super good too, actually look better than most ps4 jrpgs. 

I also realized why I never got far into the Vita version, the game gives me some motion sickness. The Vita version was a bit better due to the ability to tilt the Vita to change angles, and being able to put the game down at anytime. But I gotta wait until the next save point for the PS4 version, and I can't really play it for more than 30 minutes at a time before I start getting noxious.

I started playing Gravity Rush today (although I voted for Yakuza) and it's more fun than I thought. Although I do agree with the motion sickness thing. I was beginning to get slightly dizzy. Left it off right after I got a home.

bread's done
Back