CAG Socom Thread-SONY SHUTTING DOWN SERVERS AUGUST 31 for S1-CA Tue&Sun10pmEST

Huge influx of MP news starting now and lasting through tomorrow. We are about to wrap at work so I will update thread later with all info. I hope its all good news. There is already a MP video up. Head over to forums if interested

[quote name='smiggity']Huge influx of MP news starting now and lasting through tomorrow. We are about to wrap at work so I will update thread later with all info. I hope its all good news. There is already a MP video up. Head over to forums if interested[/QUOTE]

Here is the trailer: http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/1557/

To me this looks like a coop trailer, simply due to the fact that the beginning takes place in the exact same areas we have seen through the single player.

[quote name='Cigarl']http://www.gamesonsmash.com/2011/01/27/socom-4-multiplayer-preview-and-details/

This guy seems to think zipper is on the right track. The only thing I don't get is why in the classic mode would chat only be available when you're dead. Does that mean they took the voice chat out during game play?[/QUOTE]

That is clearly a typo, he probably meant to say alive only speak with alive and dead can only speak to other dead people.

Oh boy they fucked us....No lobbies, No pistols, No fucking demo, breach or extraction, Aim assist. This is all in Classic Mode. The regular mode is an absolute joke and shouldn't even be called Socom. This is an injustice to the Socom community. Zipper sold out

-RANKED Respawn (ewww. Really RANKED respawn? Should be UNRANKED respawn where no XP is given at all)

If anyone has played MAG, then you know the game Socom 4 will be at launch and the game it will be 4-6 months from then will be much different. I have faith that Zipper will be adding a lot to the game, though hopefully to give it that Socom feel.

Completely understand why UCCRs are not in the game, but to remove lobbies? If I can't join US West 4 then what is this game 3rd Person CoD?

Just read http://kinggilley.blogspot.com/ impressions of the game.

-Classic mode: No hp regen, no airstrikes, and no ranged explosives.

So if Classic mode is at least bit resembles Socom game modes then CAG will at least play that yes?

I'm in on Sunday and yes Jcart we will be on S4 the classic mode for sure. But they really need to either bring back lobbies or classic game modes to make it feel like Socom. But there is no substitute for Socrack so hopefully this fits the bill

Man the worst part of it all is no pistols which means every dude out there has a sniper and AR. Where is the balance? It just seems like they didn't really think all this through. Has anyone seen any info on a mini map/radar? If that's in then shit has really hit the fan

[quote name='smiggity']Man the worst part of it all is no pistols which means every dude out there has a sniper and AR. Where is the balance? It just seems like they didn't really think all this through. Has anyone seen any info on a mini map/radar? If that's in then shit has really hit the fan[/QUOTE]

Besides no classic modes this is my number one problem, there is literally zero consequences for carrying around a sniper rifle. I mean maybe there is a punishment for encumbrance for carrying around Sniper+AR but that is not going to stop 99% of the people from doing it.

As for the lack of lobbies, honestly that really doesn't bother me so much. It will make it a lot easier for small groups or single players to join in balanced games.

[quote name='smiggity']Man the worst part of it all is no pistols which means every dude out there has a sniper and AR. Where is the balance? It just seems like they didn't really think all this through. Has anyone seen any info on a mini map/radar? If that's in then shit has really hit the fan[/QUOTE]

Word on the tubes says that the "Special 18" played a different build of the game. The beta that is suppose to come soon is a more updated build. Hopefully they don't allow AR and Snipers.

The mini map/radar (really radar? people are planes?) better be respawn only.

Though the good thing that has been said is that it is pretty damn easy to drop someone. The L1 zoom DOES NOT increase accuracy, this is very good.

Though the S4 info hasn't been too pleasing, I still plan on picking it up. Classic mode only.

/edit

MisterBee: Zipper has said there is no consequences for having heavier gear/weapons. Everything you see is purely aesthetics. Which is sad, because the customization allowed in Confrontation was extensive.

Customization is a bonus, not really necessary. There will be snipers and auto weapons for sure, which is a joke. I don't know if there is a mini map, I was wondering if anyone heard anything. The 18 played a current build, but also had an extensive QA session after which they stressed we need lobbies, demolition, a pulled back camera. If those are implemented I could easily play this until Socom 5. I just hope we get classic game modes in DLC. I think breach is the secret mode, and if they add demo we are straight with demo breach and suppression. Hopefully one new mode works well and then we would have 5 modes 10 maps. We absolutely need custom controls though, because up dpad is the worst PTT button ever.

[quote name='smiggity'] We absolutely need custom controls though, because up dpad is the worst PTT button ever.[/QUOTE]

L1 needs to be PTT and d-pad up be zoom. I'm confused as to why there is no d-pad lean for classic mode.

So were shooting dudes tonight right?
Or in md's case knifing them in the back :cool:

I played a game or two a few nights ago, and man does my beloved AK-107 sound mean... I was like 10-5 through 6 rounds then got disconnected :cry:

[quote name='AXV1']I don't have the DLC[/QUOTE]

That's okay. The original maps are my favorite to play anyway.

[quote name='smiggity']We absolutely need custom controls though, because up dpad is the worst PTT button ever.[/QUOTE]

A couple months ago on their podcast, Zipper guys said that they would not include customizable controls in the game. They said putting in customizable controls is a cop out for developers who don't want to take the time to get the controls right. I personally loved all the options that confrontation allowed you. I must have gone through 6 or 7 different configurations before I found the one that I'm comfortable with.

Hopefully we can get a good size group tonight. I should be on around 9pm est.

[quote name='Cigarl']A couple months ago on their podcast, Zipper guys said that they would not include customizable controls in the game. They said putting in customizable controls is a cop out for developers who don't want to take the time to get the controls right. I personally loved all the options that confrontation allowed you. I must have gone through 6 or 7 different configurations before I found the one that I'm comfortable with.[/QUOTE]

That's such a load of BS it actually makes me angry. I love that they're trying to spin their own laziness/stubbornness/arrogance into a badge of honor. The thing to do is come up with a control scheme you think is perfect, and then let players customize it anyway.

The extent to which you could change the controls was actually one of the most impressive things about Confrontation to me. It's probably the most player-friendly feature a game can have.

It was great playing with you guys again. GGs.

I never really use flash grenades in this game, lol. Good thing they were handy for the extraction match.

j-cart - You should have signed on sooner! We started around 7 PST/10 EST.

[quote name='Esper']It was great playing with you guys again. GGs.

I never really use flash grenades in this game, lol. Good thing they were handy for the extraction match.

j-cart - You should have signed on sooner! We started around 7 PST/10 EST.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it was great fun playing. I saw the one round you saw the guy in the crossroads keyhole, threw what I thought was a HE only for the guy to shoot you in a flash of glory :lol:

I notice that j-cart had a rating, I forgot to send the clan invite, did someone else do it? If not I'm home sick today and will do it later today.

[quote name='encendido5']Dang, missed out, and I'm the one who suggested it, lol... hopefully there's another one.[/QUOTE]

I think we have all had our refreshing vacation and therefore say we should simply turn Sunday nights back into a regular night.

Damn I couldn't stay awake any longer knowing I had to be at work at 6am...Anyways we wrap season 1 in a couple weeks so I will be on Confrontation regularly until the beta drops

Yah I got off work around 9pm PST. Tried to get back as soon as I could.

I've never gotten to play with the CAG guys, but when 1.60 came out I played a lot with another clan. Until the next game time, I'll keep my trigger finger ready.

Post Super Bowl play night tonight anyone?

Note to md, either remember to charge your mic now or at least turn it on before an hour into the game, it makes it a lot easier to communicate with you that way ;)

[quote name='MisterBee']Post Super Bowl play night tonight anyone?

Note to md, either remember to charge your mic now or at least turn it on before an hour into the game, it makes it a lot easier to communicate with you that way ;)[/QUOTE]

im down, i never finished getting my final smg trophy before we all went on a hiatus

Lets try to keep the success of last week going. Since most of us are on East coast time, I think we agreed to try to start at 9EST/6PST, but anyone is free to join up whenever they are free.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/02/24/declassified-socom-4’s-online-co-op/

As the April 19th release date for SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs quickly approaches we’re happy to go into detail about everything the game has to offer, which is quite a lot! In addition to its cinematic single-player campaign and highly addictive online competitive multiplayer, SOCOM 4 also features a cooperative multiplayer mode where up to five people can play through a number of dynamic missions set up specifically for co-op play.

Got to play some of the co-op campaign on Tuesday. It was pretty fast and hectic with a lot of enemies and wasn't really what I expect from SOCOM, but it was still a lot of fun. Lots of great opportunities for teamwork with a few squad members laying down suppressing fire while others flank or snipe. Controls were much more responsive than Confrontation (although no changing shoulders, boo) and the game looks and sounds great.

I hope the competetive multiplayer lives up to the previous versions but I was really impressed by how the co-op turned out.

[quote name='metaly']Got to play some of the co-op campaign on Tuesday. It was pretty fast and hectic with a lot of enemies and wasn't really what I expect from SOCOM, but it was still a lot of fun. Lots of great opportunities for teamwork with a few squad members laying down suppressing fire while others flank or snipe. Controls were much more responsive than Confrontation (although no changing shoulders, boo) and the game looks and sounds great.

I hope the competetive multiplayer lives up to the previous versions but I was really impressed by how the co-op turned out.[/QUOTE]

How does it compare, control wise, to the classic socoms?

[quote name='metaly']Got to play some of the co-op campaign on Tuesday. It was pretty fast and hectic with a lot of enemies and wasn't really what I expect from SOCOM, but it was still a lot of fun. Lots of great opportunities for teamwork with a few squad members laying down suppressing fire while others flank or snipe. Controls were much more responsive than Confrontation (although no changing shoulders, boo) and the game looks and sounds great.

I hope the competetive multiplayer lives up to the previous versions but I was really impressed by how the co-op turned out.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the positive info Metaly...I just wet myself

Please explain the controls part metaly. Also how was the camera? Also how was shooting from the hip vs L1 zoom? You know I was going to pepper you with questions lol

I hadn't played any of the games before Confrontation so that's all I can really compare it to. Movement and aiming always felt kind of sluggish to me though, almost like there was input lag. S4 is really snappy, more like a CoD than Bad Company or Killzone, to make a console-centric comparison. The camera controlled just as well, although it's really close in and the lack of shouldering is a real problem. If you take cover and look around to the left of something, your character will move to the right side of the screen as if you had changed shoulders, but obviously you can't do that while moving down a hallway.

L1 zoom was a godsend for me. I pretty much never shot from the hip unless it was point blank or I had a shotgun. It seemed like there were a few guys who would just Rambo charge the whole time and get a ton of kills though (also I had to revive them constantly), so maybe free shooting is fairly accurate or they were just using a ton of bullets. (It could easily be the latter since there were a bunch of resupply crates throughout the mission.)

[quote name='Cigarl']Thanks for the positive info Metaly...I just wet myself[/QUOTE]

I try. ;)

This set is killer!
5473979969_cf54ca335a.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...loyment-edition-and-covert-missions-revealed/

[quote name='metaly']I hadn't played any of the games before Confrontation so that's all I can really compare it to. Movement and aiming always felt kind of sluggish to me though, almost like there was input lag. S4 is really snappy, more like a CoD than Bad Company or Killzone, to make a console-centric comparison. The camera controlled just as well, although it's really close in and the lack of shouldering is a real problem. If you take cover and look around to the left of something, your character will move to the right side of the screen as if you had changed shoulders, but obviously you can't do that while moving down a hallway.

L1 zoom was a godsend for me. I pretty much never shot from the hip unless it was point blank or I had a shotgun. It seemed like there were a few guys who would just Rambo charge the whole time and get a ton of kills though (also I had to revive them constantly), so maybe free shooting is fairly accurate or they were just using a ton of bullets. (It could easily be the latter since there were a bunch of resupply crates throughout the mission) [/QUOTE]

Thanks for your input metaly! Much appreciated from the Socom addicts

[quote name='Vader582']This set is killer!
5473979969_cf54ca335a.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...loyment-edition-and-covert-missions-revealed/[/QUOTE]

Nice to see S4 getting pub. What do you guys think about the 'Stealth" missions? Sounds alright. MP Beta date next week!!!!!

Stealth missions are alright and all. Online co-op with up to 5 people sounds like a better version of MW2's Spec Ops. Sharpshooter bundle is nice, BUT WHERE IS THE MULTIPLAYER NEWS? Next week is too far from today.

I know Zipper is not going to mess this up, but being in the dark is just messing with us too much (or just me).

I must get into the Socom 4 beta.

Got my beta code from the copy of KZ3 I just bought.

Also, I think they might have sucked me into that bundle, I was considering getting a move anyway, this just put it over the top.

[quote name='MisterBee']
Also, I think they might have sucked me into that bundle, I was considering getting a move anyway, this just put it over the top.[/QUOTE]

Too funny MisterBee. I thought the exact same thing when I saw the picture of the box. Disciple and THC both are playing Killzone with the move and like it... I was on the fence.

[quote name='smiggity'] MP Beta date next week!!!!![/QUOTE]

Hopefully it is open over my spring break in a couple weeks

I got KZ3 just for the beta...I'm thankful that the game itself is also awesome lol. I just pre-ordered the bundle from Amazon. I hope this game kicks ass and takes MP to a new level.

bread's done
Back