CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

I was listening to CAGcast #100, dated December 13, 2007 A.D., and in response to whether the Wii shortages at the time were intentional by Nintendo, Cheapy said, "It really doesn't make a lot of business sense to withhold production intentionally for the purpose of creating hype."

With the advent of products like Amiibo, is this still your current belief, present day Cheapy, or has your stance changed? Do Wombat and Shipwreck have beliefs?

Last edited by a moderator:
This Lego Dimension Super Girl PS4 exclusive does not make any sense to me. If you are going to have an exclusive it's to steer people to purchase it from you instead of the competition. So therefore the ONLY people that this would cater to would be people who own a PS4 and an Xbox One, who don't already own Lego Dimensions. That cannot be a large market worth going after.

If you own a PS4 and are in the market to purchase Lego Dimensions for the first time, you would buy it regardless if it didn't have the bonus content.

I've returned to listening to the weekly podcast after a 4 year hiatus.  Welcome back Cheapy! Congrats on the children Wombat and Shipwreck!

I still play my Xbox 360 constantly, but am looking to upgrade.  All the great looking games I see are Playstation exclusive.  What happened???  That used to be Microsoft's style!

Anyhow, the only thing keeping me from getting a Playstation 4 - besides my achievement points ;) - is that damn controller.  I HATE THE PLAYSTATION CONTROLLER, AND THE XBOX CONTROLLER IS PROBABLY THE BEST CONTROLLER EVER MADE. 

There's gotta be a better controller to hook up to the Playstation, right?  Which system do you recommend for a 360 die hard?

What do you think are the chances that in the month before the exclusivity runs out that Microsoft will make Rise of the Tomb Raider a free Games With Gold offering? It would spike Sony's release, at least for multiplatform owners.

No Man's Sky seems to be getting flak for its inventory system. But think about the weight limitation in Skyrim and Fallout 4. Or the spatial limitation in Resident Evil. For better or worse, inventory management is a critical element in modern game design. So why are people so offended by the inventory management in No Man's Sky?

Hey Guys,

Been listening to the show for over a decade now (off an on). Long hiatus recently.

Anyway, I know the question isn't timely, and you may have discussed this already, but are you guys at all surprised by the extreme negative reaction metal gear survive has received?

Each of the last 3 resident evil games(4,5,6) have sold approximately 6 million copies each.

So, to go with that, do you think konami is trying to cash in on the market the most recent resident evil games have catered to?

Now that the series is shifting focus back to more traditional horror (a smaller market) konami seems poised to be able to step in and essentially make the same sort of game.

Thanks for keeping the show going

Hey Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck been listening to you guys since pretty much the beginning (I know Shipwreck was a later addition).  Anyway, wanted to say, re: the "impossible burger" and finding ways to eat less meat generally-- the question isn't whether there are enough cows.  I like a good burger as much as the next person, and am not a vegan or even a vegetarian. Still, growing animals for their meat is pretty expensive resource-wise for the planet, because you have to first grow all the food (often using fossil fuels for fertilizers, machinery etc.) that the animals eat until they're slaughtered, get the food distributed to the places where the animals are bred/raised, etc.  By the time all the dust settles the energy inputs that go into feeding the animals end up being sometime crazy like up to 50 times greater than the food energy in calories (for beef cattle) that the people eating the meat end up consuming: http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/1997/08/us-could-feed-800-million-people-grain-livestock-eat  Other animals/animal products are more economical.

Anyway, even if one doesn't go vegetarian, figures like that should make one think about at least eating less meat or less resource-intensive animal-based foods.

In other news, how about that Bioshock remaster? ;-)

My five year old son came up to me this morning and said "How come we don't play Disney Infinity anymore?"  I had to tell him the bad news. I know killing the brand was a business decision. . . but it was still crappy regardless. People spent hundreds of dollars on toys and playsets with the idea that there would be many years of entertainment to come. 3.0 still felt like the beginning, that they were still getting things figured out.

4.0 should have come out this month, instead we are left with a storage bin filled with unfulfilled potential.

Fun facts in this video for the next time you guys do a Warby Parker ad. Also, for Watch This Bitches, Adam Ruins Everything thing is a great show that I think Cheapy would enjoy.
http://youtu.be/CAeHuDcy_bY

This question is for Cheapy and Wombat. My sister is moving to Manhattan in November to work as an accountant. She has lived in Phoenix, AZ her entire life. She is excited and a little worried living across the country from everything she has known. Is there anything she needs to know about New York or any advice you can give her about living in the city? Thanks and love the show.

I have a question for everyone. What do you think the holiday bundles for the Xbox and PS4 are going to be like? What is your prediction for the holiday season?

2nd question: When do you think these holiday bundles will be ready?

Question more specifically for Wombat and Shipwreck: are your daughters into the DC Super Hero High show, toys, etc? My youngest loves the show, and will probably dress up as one of them for Halloween. It's kind of silly and plays loosely with the universe, but not as badly as Marvel's Super Hero Squad did. Are either of you familiar with it, and any thoughts?

Any comments on how the new MW remaster is being handled? Gamers having to have the Infinite Warfare disc in their console in order to play the CoD 4 remaster.

Do you think this is a move based solely on the idea that many gamers planned to purchase IW for the remaster only and were going to trade/sell Infinite Warfare. Would it matter if the game was being traded in after the initial sale?

Is Activision afraid that the remaster would be more popular than the new CoD? If so, why even put the effort into making this remaster if they're making it a pain to play for those who want it. Doesn't a mild form of extortion come into play? "You can have this game you want but only if you pay for this too."

On the topic of the site - I really think it's time that the site got some more strict moderation of off topic discussion and trolling/unhelpful posts. The deals forum is bloated and difficult to use for casual readers. 

This is a result of forum threads like the amazon warehouse thread becoming insulated communities where the same dozen or more posters post and check the board constantly and when someone comes in and asks a question related to amazon warehouse that they all know, they get made fun of and laughed at.

It makes it difficult to follow any of these megathreads without checking them constantly. There are like, 7 threads on the main deals forum page right now that are even for specific deals.

I would recommend moving the megathreads that are only refreshed when they hit the post limit to a separate board.

If its a topic that doesn't have a logical end date where it gets moved to the deal graveyard, it doesn't belong on the video game deais page.

There is already a second page called "deal discussion" where these threads belong, because they are ongoing discussion about deals at certain stores. Deal discussion is also where the trade in megathreads belong as well, I think.

A casual poster who just is interested about one of the deals on the main homepage should click that and have the option to engage in discussion on CAG about that specific deal, or click a referral link to buy the item.

I'm just kind of sick of the video game deals forum being only these giant threads where people post hundreds and thousands of nonsense posts that don't help anyone. That kind of stuff is for deal discussion.

I am searching for info on the box CheapyD purchased to upgrade his TV a while back.

It's strange to me that no major gaming site is talking about how messed up Gears of War 4's Gear Pack system is right now. We lost our minds over $2.50 Horse Armor 10 years ago and now we have $10 lottery tickets just to have a chance at getting the skins we want and nobody is saying anything. Horde mode progression is also pay to win now since it's tied up in this system.

What are your thoughts on the Gear Pack system? Is this the new norm for $60 games that also offer a $50 season pass?

I was listening to a Cagcast from a few years ago.   It was a day one e3 2014 (Tuesday)  review I  think.   and Cheapy and Shipwrecked played Eve Valkyre and  raved about the Oculus and Eve.   It wasn't Wombats thing he was like Meh... Cheapy said I would buy an Oculus just for Eve.   

I remembered you guys loving it.   

What caused the major change from loving the direction of Vr to basically vilifying it and basically calling it a gimmick?  You guys have been really hard on Vr.     It does seem weird. 

What are your thoughts on the SAG-AFTRA voice actors video game strike? Also was this the worst time to go on strike? Seems like barely anyone is talking about it in the games media since it's the Fall, the Switch was announced, etc.

Since no one on the Cagcast has PSVR, how about having a guest come on the show to talk about it? Maybe Christian Spicer?

PC PC PC!!!

CheapyD,

Just built my first gaming PC and need to upgrade my monitor. What would you recommend?
G-Sync? 1440p or 1080p ultrawide? What do you use? Thanks! Love the show; keep up the good work!

As a new PS4 owner, what are some must play games that you would recommend, besides the obvious console exclusives?

[SIZE=medium]What is going on with the recent negative trend in the media towards systems and games.    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]It seems like everyday I am on the web and I see a vat of negativity and it has me wondering is it true journalism or paid shills, [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I know we live in a day and age of fast data transfer but some things seem over the top.   [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Example Titanfall2 was released on Oct 28th[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Then 7:00 am on Nov 1 Digital trend posts and article Titanfall 2 sales disappointing at launch.    Can sales data be compiled that fast? 96 hours?   I have never seen this before.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]4 days![/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] 2 were business days and 2 were weekend days.    Is this fair? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Maybe I am missing something.  Help enlighten us.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I am constantly seeing articles like.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]7 reasons xbox one owners will be upset and vice versa.[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=medium]reasons not to buy Playstation Vr. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]IMO Cheapy even played a part in this with his if you don’t see sony announce a VR rez game be worried.   The Launch bundles were still in the return window.   LOL[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Usually upon the release of a gaming item the consensus was the jury is still be out,    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To early to call.  Were are we headed with all this?  In my 40 years of gaming I have never seen anything like it.  The Ngage even got bigger window to succeed or fail.   [/SIZE]

Thought I'd share a Harry's razor story.

Visited my friend last week, and he noticed I also owned a Harry's razor like he does. He asked me how I liked it, and I mentioned it's definitely an upgrade over my last brand and has a nice, smooth feel when I shave.

However, I mentioned it is hard to shave directly under my nose. He told me that if I turn the razor upside down, I can use the small protected blade under my nose. I had no idea this existed!

Now, I can easily shave under my nose and there is a nice, clean feel under my nose. So, turn those razors upside down for under the nose!

After reading rumors that the Skylanders series may have been canceled due to poor sales, I realized Activision has had a really rough year. Call of Duty was listed as one of the chief reasons for poor sales at Gamestop. No one cared about Rise of Iron for Destiny. Their other big brand listed on their website is Guitar Hero. We know how that did last year. Is Activision in big trouble?

For 12/1 CAGcast:

Shipwreck, with production of the Framemeister supposedly ending, what is on your wish list, if anything, for a replacement? 

So what is Nintendo's next move after the Switch fails? Do they really try to put out yet another console, do they maybe go for power (something to actually compete with Xbox/Sony) or do they fall back to handheld/mobile gaming?

Nintendo needs a reboot

With EA taking a step back from the Battlefield Series to focus on Battlefront do you see anybody else coming forward to challenge in the team based online multi-player shooter category? Will Call of Duty try larger scale battles with vehicles similar to World at War?

Cheapy, did you ever end up getting a cool sports sedan? I vaguely remember it being something you were looking forward to when moving to the US/LI, but I don't remember hearing anything after that.

One of the things I respect the most about you guys is that you are great dads. All three of seem to try and involve your kids into your hobbies as much as possible and odd as it may sound is something I have looked up to over the years and tried to do when I had one of my own.

My son is 5 and I really want to be able to sit and enjoy a game with him. I just cant do it though...I love seeing him happy but I get bored and usually just end up watching him. Any tips for me?

Are we now at a point where it is foolish for consumers, especially early adopters, to expect a single console purchase to last an entire generation?

I take excellent care of my systems, but the last console I didn't have to replace at least once due to hardware failure is the Gamecube. Are these things now just so complex that they are not designed to be daily drivers? Are too many corners being cut during manufacturing to keep prices low? Is there no more quality control? What's going on here?

I've got a question!

This question comes from the cancellation of Scalebound.

Outside of Nintendo, what impact do y'all think exclusive games have on the sales of consoles? In terms of profit for the parent company, are exclusives a major factor? 

Burning question.

So if Wombat simply refuses to listen to Nintendo's Switch release announcement, does he get to continue maintaining that the product doesn't exist?  How long can he keep this absurd stance going?  If he wears horse blinders through Target after the Switch's release and never actually sees one, can he keep denying its existence?  Sadly it wouldn't even be the most absurd thing he's done/said on the show.  Keep on him Shipwreck.

Watch This Bitches: National Geographic Channel has this great series called Years of Living Dangerously. AAA celebrities host an episode about a different environmental topic. Like Arnold Schwarzenegger looking at the military's efforts to go green.
The current season is on sale on Xbox for $10 this week.

I was SO EXCITED about the Switch! I stayed up late to watch the presentation and really wish I hadn't. It had the opposite effect on me. I was ready to plunk down my money on a pre-order and after watching that, I am not bothering for now.
I love my 3DS and Vita mobility, but I can get a standard PS4 WITH games for less than this.
And they are doing all this focus on motion control again... ugh.
Do you think that Nintendo will be able to bring back players like me?

Zelda for Wii U was almost certainly delayed just so it could be a launch title on Switch causing Wii U owners to suffer with the slimmest holiday I can think of from any system ever. From a business perspective I get it, but as one of the few Wii U owners it fell Nintendo has done me wrong one last time. As a launch day Wii U owner I will not be getting the switch (I don't 1,2 switch...) Do you think lots of Wii U owners fill the same (Shipwreck?)? I will begrudgingly purchase Zelda Wii U but that may just be my last Nintendo purchase as I feel burn by being a fan and early adopter. What is the purpose behind the mindset of what they do? Is the culture of the Japanese market so different they think everyone will be loyal without reason? Maybe I am not the target audience but I have all current gen (newest iterations Ps4 pro/ VR / Xbox one S)  systems but my brand loyalty(for Nintendo) has all but dried up due to neglect.

Wombat.. Can i turn on the switch by saying "switch" and snapping my fingers and if not WHY THE HELL NOT????

Hey guys I love the show!

1) I thought I heard you talk about this before, but I think Microsoft and Sony are preparing to release generations of consoles that will just be the same as the current one but with better hardware. The new consoles will allow for better graphics and new technologies like VR, etc. and future games will have minimum requirements such as "Compatible with Xbox One and Xbox Two" or "Compatible with PS5 and PS6". This will allow for gamers to skip a generation of consoles if they want to, just like they can skip generations of iPhones. Those who want always the latest and greatest will buy each generation and those who don't mind skipping a generation will save money. I think the Scorpio is the first console going in that direction and that some games in 2 years from now will only be compatible with the Scorpio and up. What do you guys think? 

2) I think the Wii U was the beginning of the end for Nintendo and now the Switch is the last nail in the coffin. I think Nintendo will do like SEGA did and will stop making consoles and just focus on games. And worse than that, I think Sony or Microsoft will buy Nintendo in a few years from now and it will make all the Nintendo IP's exclusives to their consoles. What do you think?

Keep up the great work!

Dave Core

Cheapy said that he has made other purchases from Best Buy as a result of GCU deals. This happens to me too. Before GCU, I bought games from random sales online, and I never went into Best Buy. Now I buy nearly all of my games from there, and I recently bought a soundbar, a Kindle Fire, headphones, and several blurays. All of those items were on sale, but I only started paying attention to Best Buy sales after GCU pulled me in. It seems too good to be true, so I hope they don't discontinue GCU any time soon.

Why is the switch called the switch when during the direct, they kept snapping their fingers at every transition? Why wasn't it called the Nintendo Snap? It "snaps" into the dock. Is Snap something offensive in Japan?

Thought I'd share my experience trying to find the right 4K monitor for my PS4 Pro, and it left me with this question - Is this technology too confusing for the common customer?

I play my games at my desk because I like to sit close to my screen. I had a 1080p monitor for my console games, and decided to upgrade to a 4K monitor mainly because of the PS4 Pro. It isn't as simple as going onto Amazon, searching for an affordable 4K monitor, and buying. I found out there are a lot of fine details that I don't remember Sony really talking about - or maybe I just dozed off during their PS4 Pro presentation which would be my fault.

PS4 Pro outputs at 4K, 60 hz refresh rate. Most 4K monitors are 4K / 30 hz refresh rate over a HDMI 1.4 connection. These monitors would restrict the PS4 Pro to only 1080p on the 4K monitor because of the limited refresh rate. So, I had to find a 4K monitor that had a 60 hz refresh rate - which is called HDMI 2.0. Thankfully, I found one that was affordable but it took some digging on Reddit to understand this market that I was entering.

In another note, Amazon sells HDMI 2.0 cables - but they didn't work with my setup. The cable literally froze my monitor when the PS4 Pro was turned off. I tried a HDMI 1.4 cable instead, and it worked beautifully.

So, at the end of the day, this 4K market can be quite confusing for someone entering it and trying to understand complex terms like HDMI 2.0 and 60 hz refresh rate. How can companies like Sony and soon-to-be Microsoft help make this 4K technology understandable for the common customer who just wants to buy a 4K monitor easily?

Do you expose your children to classic games, especially as they get older?

My 7 year old tried the original Sonic for the first time. He gave up after 5 minutes claiming it's too hard, especially when he realized you only get three tries. I became somewhat depressed as I loved this game growing up but I do understand its difficulty compared to games today. Should I force feed him the now painful classics or give in and have him skip that generation of gaming. Thanks all and love the show.

Hello guys,

My question is as follows:

What do you think the gaming industry would look like if game developers were all privately held companies rather than publicly trade companies?  If video games were not beholden to their shareholders, do you think there would be more new IPs and better quality of games?  

Keep up the great work!  I've been listening to you guys for over 7 years now - I don't even remember how I stumbled upon the podcast.

bread's done
Back