CAGcast #109: There's a Sucka Born Every Minute

Congratulations Wombat, and as for getting files off your iPod there's a program out there called EphPod. It's free and relatively easy to use as long as you know what you're doing.

Congratulations, Wombat!

Also, you should have challenged the CC employee to a dance-off for the last copy of Justice League. To the server goes the spoils!

[quote name='SeanNOLA']Hey Cheapy,

You mentioned in the podcast that Apple would eventually get into gaming, but not produce a console. WELL, back in 96, you may remember that Apple developed a console called the Pippin. It even ran Apple System7 and had a controller called the Applejack. It was overshadowed by the Saturn and Playstation and N64, and was a tremendous failure. I can imagine that a stumble like that would deter Apple from trying to enter a market dominated by Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft, but then again, if there is a company that knows how to bounce back, it's apple.

For more on the Pippin, check out the Wikipedia entry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Pippin

Congrats on the baby, Wombat! That sitcom podcast I mentioned is sounding like more and more of a possibility...
"WJ! Why is your teacher calling me?!"
"I caw'd her a puh-jinah cwown..."
"That's Widdle Wombat!" [/QUOTE]

Aside from the token gesture recently with EA, Apple has done everything but completely shun gaming on their computers. Sure, they have the framework to distribute iPod games or whatever, but that would require a more gaming oriented interface on the iPod which means more buttons. Apple does not like buttons at all. They remove as many buttons as possible from all their products. Look at their trackpads, iPods, the Apple Remote, one-button mice... The list goes on.

Apple doesn't have an ounce of gaming in them and I don't see that changing.

Bionic Commando: Rearmed does not have online multiplayer on any version. Local only.

And the PSP memory card isn't the same as the 360 harddrive in terms of proprietary peripherals. Many other companies make Pro Duo Memory Sticks, not only Sony. They are also used in other electronics than the PSP.

I'm nitpicking though, great podcast as always.

Congradulations Mr. and Mrs. Wombat. Good luck in the coming months. Any thoughts on names yet?

As for Wombat's iPod, there are several options. You could simply connect the iPod and copy the files over. The iPod is just an external hard drive; as long as you don't open iTunes, Windows will treat it as such. The file names are all coded, but the tags the files inside should all be correct. Re-import the files into iTunes, and it should be able to figure out what everything is.

If you would prefer a program to help you select specific songs, the best one for me is YamiPod (http://www.yamipod.com/main/modules/home/). It works great for songs, though I do not believe it works with videos. I have used it several times, with minimal problems. Check it out.

I was hoping that Cheapy would've responded to Mrs. Wombat's claims of having the future of gaming in her belly with "Did you eat Wombat?"

You do know that that episode of the Smodcast wasn't the typical kind of episode they have. He usually has Scott Mosier on and they talk about news or big topics that come up. Listen to one of the earlier episodes before calling it boring.

Can it be that the reviewers enjoyed Patapon, Cheapy and Wombat?

Glad to see that you enjoyed Heavenly Sword. Definitely get Ratchet & Clank, like Wombat suggested. It's a longer game than HS, so you should be able to enjoy it for a bit longer.

Good show.

In defense of Patapon:
  • There are a number of combinations for moves from attacking, defending, retreating and special moves (Rain Dance)
  • Don't wonder why a game gets great reviews when you didn't give it enough playtime
  • Are you calling Track and Field a Strategy-Rhythm-RPG game?
Personal preference but I spend most of my time playing my PSP or DS at home. There's something more relaxing with lying down and having a handheld... in hand. It works perfectly fine as a portable game because each stage is maybe 10 minutes max. It does suck you can't pause though.

[quote name='Hostile']In defense of Patapon:
  • There are a number of combinations for moves from attacking, defending, retreating and special moves (Rain Dance)
  • Don't wonder why a game gets great reviews when you didn't give it enough playtime
  • Are you calling Track and Field a Strategy-Rhythm-RPG game?
Personal preference but I spend most of my time playing my PSP or DS at home. There's something more relaxing with lying down and having a handheld... in hand. It works perfectly fine as a portable game because each stage is maybe 10 minutes max. It does suck you can't pause though.[/QUOTE]

I think the review scores can be explained by the gaming media's hard-on for rhythm games at the moment. :whistle2:k

Thanks again for the great podcast..

I would love to see special "cag" guests on the show.. its the cag show.. you should have a few "cag" guests from time to time.. I loved the Toriban (sorry if i misspelled SP?) won all those contests and got in on the call in show.. it would be interesting to bring in a cag for the "console news" section of the cast..

anyways

wombat: SModcast isn't bad.. just that one is bad.. some of the earlier ones were pretty good. but its kind of hit and miss.. I thought Snydecast was horrifically overrated (they guy from Aqua teen hunger force and the amazing editior of quickstop or old filmforce at IGN) it just isn't very good..

other podcasts that i like is "the radio from hell" show.. if you don't want to more "Utah" centric stuff.. just listen to their "boners of the day" podcast.. its great..

I used to listen to Lex and Terry but now they charge .. i won't pay for a podcast of a radio show thats absolutely free for everyone else.

But yes I too love the Ifanboy podcast.. very excellent..

Thank you everyone for all your well wishes.. Wombat and I are very excited about our new addition and just to answer the inevitable question about names... yes we have a list of names.. none of which refer to a video game character (only our dog is allowed to have a name like that) but we are still figuring out which one will fit best and whose family is going to be disappointed. The Naming fight begins!!!

Wombat, my congratulations to you and your wife!!! I was really pleased and happy for both of you. Cheapy has the Courage on his side, but the Heart is on yours. Look forward to a future "CheapyD Jr. and Mary Wombat" podcast in 18 years!!

I just laughed until tears came with your video, Cheapy. I have seen it referred on Hawty McBloggy's page, but it's just now that I saw it. Take care of little Cheapy, and find him a new 360 soon!

[quote name='mrswombat']Thank you everyone for all your well wishes.. Wombat and I are very excited about our new addition and just to answer the inevitable question about names... yes we have a list of names.. none of which refer to a video game character (only our dog is allowed to have a name like that) but we are still figuring out which one will fit best and whose family is going to be disappointed. The Naming fight begins!!![/QUOTE]

:lol: Congrats again.

My gf won't let me name future children after characters either (either film or video game), but she says I can name the dogs after whatever Star Trek characters I want :lol:

Congratulations Mr and Mrs Wombat on your baby. Baby Wombat can be Baby Cheapy's girlfriend... setting them up before they can even walk.

hey Wombat.. howabout setting up a name suggestion thread... a free prize to the first person to say the name that you actually do choose.

Congrats Wombats! My birthday is the 21st of July, so it's right around my b-day!

Cheapy, all I am going to say about Itunes is that downloading a 5mb song is way different than downloading a 5gb movie video. Plus, with Ipod's coming out, it's extremely convenient to download one or two songs (which is all people usually like) off of a CD and then put them on a Ipod. Through which, they can then have over 5,000 songs on something that is in there pocket. And I never thought Itunes wouldn't take off. I thought it was a great idea and smart move by Apple (even though I hate them.)

And all I said about DD is that it won't REPLACE Physical media anytime soon. Which is true. And my point stands about broadband connections when talking about speed and how long it takes to download movies. You completely ignored my point about how long it takes download movies off of Xbox Live. People want convenient and that is not convenient to wait 6+ hours to download a movie.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/nashville-tn/T21P2S849ORUBI4IN

Read all these people complaining about Comcasts HD on demand service. Makes me long for it. :\

Anyways, I stand by my point, I Don't think DD Will take off, classic movies can look REALLY good on Hi-def if the studio takes the time to do so, and Spielberg is awesome.

And Cheapy, I couldn't agree with you more on Heavenly Sword and Accomplishments. Heavenly Sword is like Ninja Gaiden, except less difficult and more fun in my mind. And I applaud you for not bashing Sony about Accomplishments, where everyone has been saying for them to get something like the 360 and now they do, they are bashing them. Thank you for being level headed and not bashing them for it.

Congrats to Wombat and Mrs. Wombat on their upcoming baby wombat.

It's good to know that both pervs (CheapyD and Wombat) don't just talk the talk but can walk the walk as well (IE they don't shoot blanks. :D)

But I definitely feel a bit sorry for Wombat because in 14 years or so, he'll be sitting on the porch with a shotgun to scare the sh*t outta his daughter's boyfriends since he knows firsthand what pervs teenage boys can be. ;) While CheapyD will be teaching Tai *all* the tricks in the book.

I also agree with many others that Wombat was particularly sharp this episode.

Oh BTW, the baldness gene comes from the *mom*... so Tai only has to worry if his mom has brothers that are going bald. http://www.essortment.com/all/malepatternbal_rcad.htm

Joining the "Cheapy should buy Rock Band for PS3" bandwagon.

Go play it somewhere obvious so that all the Japanese gamers can be envious at all the RB instrument crapola you've got hooked up to your PS3. =b

babywombatavatarce9.gif

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']
babywombatavatarce9.gif
[/QUOTE]

Lol, would you look at that, great job WhipSmartBanky. The kid already has an avatar before she has a name. :lol:

Congrats on the baby Wombat, and I'd like to personally apologize for the mental midget that I'm forced to call a"co-worker" at your local Circuit City. I myself work for Circuit City and am a proud CAG and his reaction to your question is an embarrassment to say the least.

The actor in question is Andy Serkis, he did the voice and motions for Gollum for Lord of the Rings. I dont know if anyone mentioned this but there you go. Good show as always. Congrats on the new baby soon, Wombat.

[quote name='mrswombat']Thank you everyone for all your well wishes.. Wombat and I are very excited about our new addition and just to answer the inevitable question about names... yes we have a list of names.. none of which refer to a video game character (only our dog is allowed to have a name like that) but we are still figuring out which one will fit best and whose family is going to be disappointed. The Naming fight begins!!![/QUOTE]

Put up a poll and let the CAGs decide.

congrats wombats. I don't get how every one has failing 360's. Do you keep them where they can get enough cold air? I'm still on my original launch console.

Posted this in the "Wombat vs. Ugo: Super Smash Bros" thread on UGO

"Wombat, how you make a great of nerds look cool, is beyond me,lol. Love ya man, but geez, relax a bit and lose the shirt and tie! Posted by Adam K on 03/01 at 04:20 AM"

Congrats and God bless on the kid man, hope you don't become as miserable as Cheapy :D

Congratulations Wombat! Now both of you have to be cheap ass gamers to afford a kid. You guys buck the stereotype that gamers are loners, like me. I don't go looking for a girlfriend because that takes away both time and money from gaming, plus I have very high nonnegotiable standards (I won't date a smoker). Plus the only people who want me to have kids are my mom, Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft

[quote name='Klank']congrats wombats. I don't get how every one has failing 360's. Do you keep them where they can get enough cold air? I'm still on my original launch console.[/quote]All these problems that most Xbox 360 owners have is definitely not a faulty console design, it's the customers fault! Microsoft is spending over a billion dollars repairing 360s because they are just super kind. In fact, I think they are also donating all future profits to charity.

I was on my original launch console too...until it broke.

Wow, congratulations to Mrs. Wombat and Wombat! I might be biased, but I think girls are fantastic, and I know you'll raise her right and make her a good gamer girl. :) That's just awesome news. :)

I don't know, I'm not too worried about Cheapy letting Tai cry while filming, I'm just hoping he didn't starve him or anything to make him START crying. ;)

There's something to be said for buying CD's and ripping them to your iPod, you can rip them at your own preferred bit rate, which means you can get them in higher quality than a lot of stuff on iTunes Music Store (unless you get iTunes Plus music, it comes at 128 kbps--Plus stuff is 256 and also not DRM'd in the same way).

Also, Wombat, you most DEFINITELY can get stuff off your iPod, just mount your iPod as a drive, show the hidden files, and then pull them over to your new computer. It's SUPER EASY, even my mom can do it (and she's more technologically challenged than a caveman). No software necessary, other than your file browser of choice. If you want info, check out http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/copying-music-from-ipod-to-computer/P1 and go down to the section called "The Brute-Force Approach—Copying your Media Back Manually". It should also be pointed out that iTunes does allow you to take your purchases and burn them to CD, so you can still have all of your music in a "hard"/physical media format (which is nice for backups, too).

/tk

Congrats to the Wombat family! Another CAG told me the news before I heard the podcast and I figured it was the reason why the mrs. was so sick - no medicine and all.

[quote name='sk8nob']Congratulations Wombat, and as for getting files off your iPod there's a program out there called EphPod. It's free and relatively easy to use as long as you know what you're doing.[/QUOTE]

I've actually done it by uninstalling itunes and plugging the ipod in. The computer should recognize it as a drive and you can remove your songs. The mp3's will be in hidden folders and have weird names but the tags will be intact. You can then use some mp3tag utility to rename the mp3's.

If that doesn't work, I've also connected it to my PC with itunes still installed. When the popup asking you to sync the ipod, delete all files, etc. comes up, don't click anything and instead go to my computer. The ipod should show up as a drive there.

edit: oh yeah, forgot to mention... wouldn't it be funny if baby cheapy and baby wombat got together later on in their lives? Just a thought :D

Hey Cheapy, Andy Serkis played King Bohan in Heavenly sword. You know, the guy played Gollum in LOTR. Justice League New Frontier was good. Barry Allen was the best part about it. I'm glad Superman, Batman, and Wonder woman didn't steal the show. Ace Morgan from Challengers of the Unknown was in it, that was cool to see too.

Remote play means you can play it ANYWHERE you have an internet connection. Once you enable it, you can turn on your PS3 from any location and play the supported games. I use mine all the time for PixelJunk Monsters. All the saves are to the PS3 and when I get home, I pickup where I left off. It's a great feature and I'm surprised that you guys didn't know about it, especially Wombat, since you commute so much.

Also, congrats to Mr and Mrs. Wombat! Hope everything goes well and you feel better Mrs. Wombat...

[quote name='CheapyD']All these problems that most Xbox 360 owners have is definitely not a faulty console design, it's the customers fault! Microsoft is spending over a billion dollars repairing 360s because they are just super kind. In fact, I think they are also donating all future profits to charity.

I was on my original launch console too...until it broke.[/quote]

I'm not saying that its not a poor design or that its not poorly made. I'm just saying this is not the NES days where you can keep your console under a pile of blankets while you are playing it. I've seen even in just the show your game setup type threads that people seem to just shove consoles where ever there is enough space to fit the unit and don't think about if its going to get hot and break. Then if it does its lol microsoft is up to their old tricks again. I agree that there are a wide range of design flaws in this console that are a major problem and are causing lots of the hardware failures. It seems though like the 360 has given people the idea that anytime anything goes wrong it can't be their fault.

[quote name='encendido5']I've actually done it by uninstalling itunes and plugging the ipod in. The computer should recognize it as a drive and you can remove your songs. The mp3's will be in hidden folders and have weird names but the tags will be intact. You can then use some mp3tag utility to rename the mp3's.[/quote]

Or you can just re-import them into iTunes and it picks them up no problem.

If that doesn't work, I've also connected it to my PC with itunes still installed. When the popup asking you to sync the ipod, delete all files, etc. comes up, don't click anything and instead go to my computer. The ipod should show up as a drive there.

Yeah these 2 quotes are more or less the jist of the link I posted earlier.

ephpod is a good program, but as far as I know (I last looked into it in early February), it doesn't work with the newer iPods...5th gen and forward...

/tk

fuck

I can't believe no one is attacking CheapyD (or as I like to call him CheapyPS3) for his blatant fanboyism on this show. I for one feel that it has gone on waaaay too long. First he tells his us how his son hates the 360 so much that when he turns it on Tai starts to cry. Then he can't even be bothered to play it after he has turned it on. He then proceeds to bring up old news stories just to bash Microsoft and their fantastic peripherals. (I'm glad they charge me like a million dollars for a hard drive, that is how I know that I'm getting the best of the best!) He complains that Microsoft looks out for their customers and and won't let Arcade games be released that are bigger than their perfectly sized memory cards.

Then in the PS3 section he can't stop praising Home (which he hasn't even seen yet, but my friend told me is a POS). He obviously hates the 360 so much that he goes to find a PS3 game that is like 100 years old and plays it because he can't stand thinking about playing a more recent 360 game.

I used to love the CAGcast, but they fanboyism is now too much for me. I can't make it through the entire show without beating my head against a wall in frustration. The only good thing that CheapyD ever says anymore is that the Wii is a pieces of fucking joke. The loser Wii owners are the only thing worse than 360 owners.

On another note... more "CAGs on BAGS" performed by ? featuring Wombat. I missed it this week. How was I supposed to know that the CAGbag was starting.

And many congratulations to Mrs. and Mr. Wombat.

[quote name='mrswombat']Thank you everyone for all your well wishes.. Wombat and I are very excited about our new addition and just to answer the inevitable question about names... yes we have a list of names.. none of which refer to a video game character (only our dog is allowed to have a name like that) but we are still figuring out which one will fit best and whose family is going to be disappointed. The Naming fight begins!!![/quote]

Name: Jacob.

Congrats Mrs. Wombat and Wombat on the wonderful news. I hope all goes well this July 2008 for you guys.

I have a British 360 and a US one and neither have had the RRoD. I'm thinking about keeping one of them on 24/7 to see how long it takes.

Congrats Wombat. Though I think you were secretly jealous of CheapyD getting so much baby attention so you knocked your wife up.

bread's done
Back