CAGcast #143: As Hardcore As They Wanna Be

hey guys thanks for the podcast this week it really means a lot....i have a real bad cold and i have a calc and physics exam on friday this will help me pull through...thanks agian.

That's funny I'm trying to sell my Ear Force X4 Headphones. Friend duped me into wanting to be bogged down with wires with the Astro A40.

One other note, can the real Cheapy please stand up! $200 for headphones and berating the rest of us for not giving more to the charity. Some of us are actually poor and need what little money we have to feed and cloth our own kids. How about you put your money where your mouth is and sell those headphones and put that money into the charity. Glad Wombat is still representing us poor folk. Love you CheapyD, but being locked up in your little Japan apartment all day has maybe made you lose your connection to the common man.

[quote name='Xerxes']That's funny I'm trying to sell my Ear Force X4 Headphones. Friend duped me into wanting to be bogged down with wires with the Astro A40.[/quote]

The A40's are hawt. :applause: :) :)

/tk

Cheapy, isn't one of the control settings for RE5 similar to Gears of War and the other control setting is the original Resident Evil controls?

[quote name='terpkristin']The A40's are hawt. :applause: :) :)

/tk[/quote]
:cry: Have to unload the x4s first. It's funny, my acquaintance has nothing to say until I already bought them.

I don't know what's up with that guy's definition of "hardcore". You two are correct; it is defined by devotion to the hobby, not skill. For example, if given the choice between doing an activity that is seen as normal social activity and playing video games, you're hardcore if you choose gaming a high percentage of the time.

Also, enjoy Mad Men, it's a great show.

Ya... sorry about the comment about ripping up your sacks last week. It was so far into the CAGCast thread that I thought no-one would see that. Anyways, your sacks shall go un-torn and keep pimping those big ass chains! And about the picture you took with me, there is no need to close your eyes, cause your entire head was lost in the brightness anyways, it's basically me with two floating Cheapy eyes...

P.S LBP rocks.

I don't know what's up with that guy's definition of "hardcore". You two are correct; it is defined by devotion to the hobby, not skill. For example, if given the choice between doing an activity that is seen as normal social activity and playing video games, you're hardcore if you choose gaming a high percentage of the time.

Also, enjoy Mad Men, it's a great show.
100% agree. I actually consider it to be NOT hardcore if you only play one game or one game type. Cause if that was the case, than I know some old men that are HARDCORE GAMERS (cause they play bejeweled all day).

It's kind of like saying you are a hardcore movie-goer because you watch Jumanji 40 times a week and can recite every word of dialogue in a spot on Robin Williams impression.

Great show.

Resident Evil 5 demo (heres a how-to burn to cd/dvd) Also, better description of how-to on the info bar of the YouTube page...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvtbHT7Nb7M

I just started playing the Resident Evil 5 demo and I think it was a load of fun. Cheapy I think you need to have it on Control A cause those felt like the closest to Resident evil 4 controls. Wombat I want to hear your opinion on the demo (if you want to or can) as you've mentioned your a hardened Re4 vet :)

Keep it up and also have Shipwreck on the Looney Toons cock and balls game review...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lokizz']damn i thought i had misspelled that. thanks for the correction. you wouldnt happen to remember what that guys real name was though do you ? i think they did say it but i cant remember.[/quote]
Jean Paul Valley I believe it was.

[quote name='Jicky Jacks']One other note, can the real Cheapy please stand up! $200 for headphones and berating the rest of us for not giving more to the charity. Some of us are actually poor and need what little money we have to feed and cloth our own kids. How about you put your money where your mouth is and sell those headphones and put that money into the charity. Glad Wombat is still representing us poor folk. Love you CheapyD, but being locked up in your little Japan apartment all day has maybe made you lose your connection to the common man.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, didn't Cheapy say he put $1000 in already? That seems like enough. I absolutely understand wanting a nice pair of headphones in that situation. I live in a small apartment with my g/f and since I work nightshift I'm in the same situation where I want to play but can't loud. So investing in a good pair of headphones is a good idea. I'm glad Wombat did mention that money is a little tight for people right now. He seemed a little annoyed for a moment that Cheapy was disappointed with the community, and it's good he's a bit more understanding of the situation for a lot of us.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']Cheapy, I'm really interested in the Earforce X4, and I would really like to check out your video review. I have the Earforce X2 and it works well, but you can't control chat volume independently from game sounds and that makes it really difficult to hear what other people are saying in loud games. Also, you can indeed use the X1/2/3/4 with the Playstation 3 and use chat by using a USB sound card with microphone input. I got one at monoprice.com and it works just fine. Just keep in mind that the audio jack on the headset is 2.5mm and the input on the USB sound card is 3.5mm so you'll also need some kind of adapter.[/quote]
Whu? I have the entry level Earforce X1 (Thanks, Major Nelson) and it has seperate controls for game audio and chat. One of my favorite features.

I loved this show! It was like when you guys 1st started out was really funny. It was back to talk about Japan, Games and making fun of people. So funny keep it up.

Yeah but X4s can be gotten for less the $50 plus shipped. A40s are a hard balled price. New X4s can be gotten for like $180 shipped(2-3 days). I'm looking into A40s and it's like $260 shipped(5 days). Also wireless means that much to some people.

went with trittion axpro because i hate batteries! You can use da mic for ps3, xbox and pc

Yes, other people are right about Batman. After Wayne got his back broken Jean Paul a.k.a. Azrael took over the mantle of the bat. The guy was a loon and had non stop halusinations and actually allowed a bad guy to die while having one. He tainted the mantle of the bat and pissed off everyone in the comics. It was Azrael who changed the Bat suit to the way it was. After Wayne recovered, Azrael did not want to give the mantle back to Wayne. They fought in the Batcave and Azrael was doing very well against Wayne. Wayne finally crawled into a tight hole and Azrael followed him and to pursue Wayne he had to take off the bulky suit to fit through the tight hole. After the suit was off Wayne had his way with him and took back the Mantle by beating the crap out of Azrael. Azrael had his own series after that and DC cancelled it shortly after issue 100.

Cheapy I am having trouble with your download link. I get this message in IE and Firefox: ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved

[quote name='Purkeynator']Cheapy I am having trouble with your download link. I get this message in IE and Firefox: ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved[/quote]

How are you trying to do it? In both IE and Firefox, if I right-click where it says "Download" and do a Save As... (or Save Target As...), it seems to be working just fine.

/tk

It sounds like IGN need to get a better grip of their reviews. It seems like I keep hearing more often that people don't agree with their reviews. Of course in gaming people who disagree with reviews are the most vocal, but IGN has become a staple for off the mark reviews.

Regarding End War: I think the developers could have known that it wouldn't be flying off the shelves. But to me it's not because of the voice commands - which I love - it's because the game has no soul. Coming from the PC I have a long relationship with franchises like Age of Empires, Starcraft or even company of heroes. The "story" and units in Endwar seem to me to be completely generic.

I was also disappointed because of the money the CAG community has raised so far but like Wombat said, the economy is affecting us all. I haven't been able to donate this year but Hopefully I will be able to do so by the deadline.

Quote of the Podcast:
"I'm an Internet Space Pimp"
I was on the bus and I just had to lol and have everyone stare at me.

Of course Cheapy didn't get invited to YouTube's froofy gala. He had his account suspended before, and now he's permanently labeled a naughty troublemaker.

On Wombat's UGO salary... does he make more money for that blog, or by doing the CAGcast?

In terms of demos being good or bad, it is a hard sell. Should they feature some of the most exciting parts of the game, relying on a simple "controls" screen as all your initiation to the gameplay? Or give you the beginning level(s) which will slowly (and usually painfully) teach you how to play? These often leave players with the impression that either the game is too confusing/difficult to grasp, or that the whole game will be like the tedious hand-holding tutorials.

Perhaps they should give multiple levels, both tutorial and exciting ones, and just give you five minutes in each. That should give players enough info about the game (as long as they don't count overlong cutscenes as part of the playtime).

Or what do you think about the idea of companies creating demo-exclusive levels? Written as a "prequel" to the actual game, it can set-up the characters & storyline while teaching gameplay aspects. They can be creative and throw in a boss fight (in an applicable genre, of course) who might make an appearance in the real game as an ally or beefed-up version who you'll need to fight again. Of course, if they do go all-out on such a demo, it would be a shame not to include it on the disc... perhaps as a bonus feature, not necessary to play the rest of the game so those who played the demo don't have to replay the same stage (one of my main gripes about demos).

[quote name='terpkristin']I think there aren't too many movies out there that NEED to be in Blu-Ray (for example, Dark Knight is one I think will be better in BR, Kung Fu Panda probably doesn't need BR)[/quote]

Actually, being created digitally, Kung Fu Panda benefits greatly on BluRay by being able to transfer its high-definition roots straight over. Now, older movies, such as Clockwork Orange SHOULD have already been at its highest true quality remaster on DVD as it was created on outdated audio & video equipment. Remastering something not created in high-definition would have to fake a lot, such as when they colorized B&W movies. Regardless, if your TV doesn't support the high quality picture, the whole debate is moot.

[quote name='bardockkun']Jean Paul Valley I believe it was.[/QUOTE]

Actually will be a mini-series with him in the upcoming months I read somewhere.

With regard to the Child's Play response from the community -- it may be a combo of a lot of things -- all the BF Amazon deals may have tapped out some folks, maybe next year start the drive before the BF Deals, and oif course the economy isn't great either, and there's still time to go so we may still get there.

I think maybe highlight the raffle part of it too -- there are some good things to win on that list.

[quote name='lokizz']dammit wombat how can you call yourself a freakin comicbook nerd and you mess up the facts of batman and the knightfall series. yes he got his back broken by bane but he didnt wear armor. someone took over for him while he recouperated( i forget his name but he was a blonde guy who had been part of some assasins cult and had been trained to be a killer). that guy over a period of time became more and more obsessed with being batman and over time changed the batsuit ( starting with gauntlets what show out batarangs) and over time he added more and more stuff ) until towars the end he had a complete batsuit with all sorts of badass shit like flamethrowers and what not.

he beat bane and the real batman after training ( kightquest series) defeated the guy who took over his role (knightsend series). it kills me when people fuck up comic series storylines that much. i am looking foward to that new batman game though.

oh yeah that guy who took over for batman was at one point codenamed azriel.[/QUOTE]

I thought KnightFall was a far better series that RIP. More straightforward. KnightQuest and KnightsEnd and Prodigal wenton way too long though. I have a feeling that Final Crisis has plans for Batman that will be more permanent tha KnightFall, but then again, it is comics, so what really is permanent.

[quote name='meager']Perhaps they should give multiple levels, both tutorial and exciting ones, and just give you five minutes in each. That should give players enough info about the game (as long as they don't count overlong cutscenes as part of the playtime).[/QUOTE]

I think every demo will be have to be catered to the game it is trying to portray. Shooters have it easy, RTS games have it harder. Each demo experience will probably have to be different to try to catch gamers for the games cause.

[quote name='bsesb2003']I thought KnightFall was a far better series that RIP. More straightforward. KnightQuest and KnightsEnd and Prodigal wenton way too long though. I have a feeling that Final Crisis has plans for Batman that will be more permanent tha KnightFall, but then again, it is comics, so what really is permanent.[/quote]

I've been out of the loop lately on Batman. What it sounds like is that DC is going to kill The Dark Knight off? If so, DC killed Superman and brought him back. Didn't they also bring back Jason Todd? I've been out of it for awhile, I might have to go pick some up if they are going to kill him....Batmans my favorite.

Hardcore means you have to play Halo a lot? Can I be called hardcore while I punch your face in for 12 hours straight while you try to play Halo a lot??

Another reason to hate halo.

[quote name='meager']Actually, being created digitally, Kung Fu Panda benefits greatly on BluRay by being able to transfer its high-definition roots straight over. Now, older movies, such as Clockwork Orange SHOULD have already been at its highest true quality remaster on DVD as it was created on outdated audio & video equipment. Remastering something not created in high-definition would have to fake a lot, such as when they colorized B&W movies. Regardless, if your TV doesn't support the high quality picture, the whole debate is moot.[/quote]

Sorry, but that's patently false. Older movies and TV shows were shot on film, and unlike digital recordings, film is infinite resolution. So you can digitally scan film at a very high resolution and it looks fantastic in HD (even if it's not necessarily in an HD aspect ratio). That's what Criterion's been doing for years, getting ready for HD formats. That's why there are HD versions of the original Star Trek running late at night. And so on. The only reason there aren't more older films and TV shows on Blu-Ray is because the format is so new (and still very poorly supported) and even HDTV in general has still only been adopted by a fraction of the populace.

[quote name='Tybee']Sorry, but that's patently false. Older movies and TV shows were shot on film, and unlike digital recordings, film is infinite resolution. So you can digitally scan film at a very high resolution and it looks fantastic in HD (even if it's not necessarily in an HD aspect ratio). That's what Criterion's been doing for years, getting ready for HD formats. That's why there are HD versions of the original Star Trek running late at night. And so on. The only reason there aren't more older films and TV shows on Blu-Ray is because the format is so new (and still very poorly supported) and even HDTV in general has still only been adopted by a fraction of the populace.[/quote]

I'm no expert, of course, I was using information obtained from watching a commentary from some restored movie on dvd (I don't remember which, but it was a 60s movie) where the restoration crew was talking about what they had to do to remaster the print from the poor negative. Perhaps it is the film stock that the substandard part? I know they said they had to fake the audio seperation due to the lack of technology when the movie was made.
So if film is HD-able, does that mean TV shows not shot on film are out of the running for BluRay?

[quote name='meager']I'm no expert, of course, I was using information obtained from watching a commentary from some restored movie on dvd (I don't remember which, but it was a 60s movie) where the restoration crew was talking about what they had to do to remaster the print from the poor negative. Perhaps it is the film stock that the substandard part? I know they said they had to fake the audio seperation due to the lack of technology when the movie was made.[/quote]

Obviously, some films will have been preserved better than others, and in almost every case, some restoration work will be done, even with well-preserved stock. But the source material itself is, as I said, infinite in resolution, so it's worth the effort.

And for the record, colorization (which was introduced in the 80s and done with computers, and was in no way associated with the transition to color TV or color film, which happened long before) is not an accurate comparison, since it involves altering and essentially bastardizing the original B&W print to achieve something the original filmmakers never intended. Thankfully, they pretty much abandoned that process almost as soon as they invented it.

Sound is a different matter. Most films up until the late 80s were in mono or stereo, with some exceptions. If they can get their hands on the original audio tracks, they will often do a surround remix (but in many cases will also offer the original mix for the sake of authenticity).

So if film is HD-able, does that mean TV shows not shot on film are out of the running for BluRay?
No. It just means they won't look as good and will probably be among the last to get a BluRay release. You can only do so much with video tape.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='meager']Actually, being created digitally, Kung Fu Panda benefits greatly on BluRay by being able to transfer its high-definition roots straight over. Now, older movies, such as Clockwork Orange SHOULD have already been at its highest true quality remaster on DVD as it was created on outdated audio & video equipment. Remastering something not created in high-definition would have to fake a lot, such as when they colorized B&W movies. Regardless, if your TV doesn't support the high quality picture, the whole debate is moot.[/quote]

I guess I was using Kung Fu Panda because it's animated, I'm less concerned with the amazing cinematics than I would be with something like Terminator or Dark Knight or Planet Earth. Kung Fu Panda I'm guessing will be good in BR, but I won't necessarily feel like I'm losing something if I don't get the BR version. Maybe I should've used Nanny Diaries or something for my example. Just because I can get Hi Def doesn't mean it adds that much more to the experience in some cases. ;)

And I may have been completely off-base with the older movie stuff, again, I'm no expert in the field. :) I wonder how something like the original of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" would be in BR compared to the DVD I have of it..

/tk

[quote name='Davestation']I've been out of the loop lately on Batman. What it sounds like is that DC is going to kill The Dark Knight off? If so, DC killed Superman and brought him back. Didn't they also bring back Jason Todd? I've been out of it for awhile, I might have to go pick some up if they are going to kill him....Batmans my favorite.[/QUOTE]

It's all way to confusing because the latest run of the Batbooks ties into a large DC event called Final Crisis, so while he might be dead after RIP in the Batbooks, it has been said that his final fate occurs in Final Crisis.

Yup, they brought back Jason Todd, and he's still sorta unbalanced.

Oh, and back to the hardcore comment...I agree with Cheapy. The older you get, you just aren't as good...we have less time to play games, if you have a job where your at the computer all day -- your hands are tired, and your reflexes slow. Plus your responsibilities only increase as you get older, not decrease, so that limits your time. All that said, of course we can afford more games than the kids...

Hey cheapy and wombat. Great show as usual. I just wanted to say thanks cheapy for talking up saints row 2 so much. Because of that I rented it and have been having so much fun playing it this past week that I went out and bought it on sale this week. Thanks again keep of good work guys!!

[quote name='bsesb2003']Actually will be a mini-series with him in the upcoming months I read somewhere.[/quote]
You mean as part of "Battle for the Cowl?"

[quote name='bardockkun']You mean as part of "Battle for the Cowl?"[/QUOTE]

No I think it'll be completely seperate.

I just got LBP and its pretty good how ever i think they should change their motto or whatever from create,play, share to create play and f*ck off,just kiddin but their is really no sharing:bouncy:

[quote name='bsesb2003']No I think it'll be completely seperate.[/quote]
Wait, wasn't he dead then out of no where came back to life? Also, does anyone care?

[quote name='bardockkun']Wait, wasn't he dead then out of no where came back to life? Also, does anyone care?[/QUOTE]

I think he was assumed to be dead, but since he was an avenging angel and given Final Crisis is about evil winning, then maybe he fits in somewhere. These are comic books, so anything goes.

I loved this episode, good work guys. I don't see what people complain about, if there were no contraversial opinions on the podcast then it wouldn't be much of a show would it?

Cheapy I don't think that you could emphasize enough that the X4's have Dolby Digital....instead of saying about every other sentence try ever 2 words and see if that helps. But what u had to say about the headset otherwise i liked.

[quote name='JoeStunna-GameGod']Cheapy I don't think that you could emphasize enough that the X4's have Dolby Digital....instead of saying about every other sentence try ever 2 words and see if that helps. But what u had to say about the headset otherwise i liked.[/quote]
Keep telling em how awesome they are. :applause:

I really enjoyed 142 and 143. The awkward pauses between you two were great because it gave me time to laugh without having to rewind back to the content I laughed over. I really liked the baby stories.

90% of the cagbag questions were beyond terrible for both shows though. The hardcore question was absurd, followed by "Why do you hate LBP?" "Why do hate the PS3, Wombat?", "Saints Row sucks" over and over again. Hell, neither of you guys have ever finished any of the portable games I liked and I don't give a shit. It's okay. You guys responded really well, but I really think Cheapy should choose the questions before the show is recorded (and be picky about it). It's ironic how the audience bitches about how you keep talking about SR and Oblivion but they insist on asking the same damn question over and over again.

bread's done
Back