CAGcast #153: British Cosby

Hey Cheapy 'n Wombat,

I know you shared your opinion about backwards compatibility being featured in this generations consoles, but you didn't really elaborate on anything for the next-generation. Personally I think backwards compatibility will be much bigger for next generation consoles. The reason being achievements and trophies, I think people would have more incentive to play older generation titles if they actually see something come of it.

Also a while back on XboxEvolved.com(you can choose to give them a shout-out or not) there was a rumor that the Xbox 360 would feature some games in the near future that would be forward compatible. The forward compatible games would have improved features exclusive to the new console i.e. graphics and possible gameplay changes. If backward compatibility didn't make you want to play a last generations games perhaps forward compatibility would.

I would love to hear both of your opinions on this and thanks.

I'm listening now, so far it's great. & i think the lag of the "xbox vista" is dependent on the game you are playing. i've had it lag for some games but not others.

Furious gamer looks awesome, if I had an iPhone I would pick it up in a second. Might be getting one next month if my job cancel our phone plans. Are there other Gaming related iphone apps? not games, for example keeping track of Xbox live or Halo 3 stats...

....or even better a CAG price tracker app for when I go to the store, it can tell me if it is priced better somewhere else or even better I can scan the bar code and find the best price.

About the PSP DRM and iTunes discussion... Cheapy, one funny thing struck me about the music store. I own the laughing stock known as the Zune 30gb, but when you talked about "I click one button and for 99 cents I get a song in 10 seconds on iTunes..." I couldn't help but laugh.

I, too, am no stranger to torr enting music for free. But for shits and giggles I signed up for the Zune pass about two months ago, and I don't want to sound like an advertisement, but with this being CheapAssGamer and all I just wanna let you know about it. With $15 a month subscription, non-renewing amazingly, I can download entire freaking albums without a single charge. And with the 10 free credits a month (basically buy 10 songs for free a month in addition to the pass) it's just insane for me to think of how bad you iTunes people have it.

IMAGINE: If you went to the iTunes store right now and instead a button saying "Buy for $0.99" it rather said simply "Download", you can imagine the freedom that creates. Zune may be a horribly selling and non-sexy brick of a device, but god dammit, that Zune Pass and Zune 3.0 software is fucking amazing.

Also, funny how if I download a song via torrent, I'm breaking the law... but if in the same stroke I open up my Zune program and download an album that way, it's totally legal. And it's only $15 a month FFS. Only shame is the Windows only thing, but oh well... Steve Jobs is just screwing you over with overpriced computers and less than ideal deals on music.

I also first started listening to the CAGCAST before using the site. I first heard of CAG through cheapy's youtube videos.

Well I knew that Cheapy was someone with something to do in the game industry. I stumbled across his youtube channel ended up subscribing because his videos are generally strange and hilarious. From there learnt of CAG, though I didn't join the site for a few months after.

Cheapy what's up with the "bipolar" love-hate relationship with the PS3. One second you are all lovin' on the PS3 & then the next you have to point out all of its flaws. Are you just trying to stay netural or do you actually feel this way about the PS3?

Great show! I'm a bit disturbed by CheapyD's reaction to Indiana Jones, but the constant warnings from Wombat might have somehow psychologically prepared him for it. Also, no gigantic steak pics? Come on, Cheapy!

[quote name='TiE23']About the PSP DRM and iTunes discussion... Cheapy, one funny thing struck me about the music store. I own the laughing stock known as the Zune 30gb, but when you talked about "I click one button and for 99 cents I get a song in 10 seconds on iTunes..." I couldn't help but laugh.

I, too, am no stranger to torr enting music for free. But for shits and giggles I signed up for the Zune pass about two months ago, and I don't want to sound like an advertisement, but with this being CheapAssGamer and all I just wanna let you know about it. With $15 a month subscription, non-renewing amazingly, I can download entire freaking albums without a single charge. And with the 10 free credits a month (basically buy 10 songs for free a month in addition to the pass) it's just insane for me to think of how bad you iTunes people have it.

IMAGINE: If you went to the iTunes store right now and instead a button saying "Buy for $0.99" it rather said simply "Download", you can imagine the freedom that creates. Zune may be a horribly selling and non-sexy brick of a device, but god dammit, that Zune Pass and Zune 3.0 software is fucking amazing.

Also, funny how if I download a song via torrent, I'm breaking the law... but if in the same stroke I open up my Zune program and download an album that way, it's totally legal. And it's only $15 a month FFS. Only shame is the Windows only thing, but oh well... Steve Jobs is just screwing you over with overpriced computers and less than ideal deals on music.[/QUOTE]

I think the problem here is that you're not actually buying the music and it's not actually yours (outside of those 10 "free" songs). You're just leasing it until you discontinue your subscription or Microsoft stops the service/store. Once you stop subscribing, you lose all of that music.

$15 a month is basically "paying" for the right to try before you buy, but that ability already exists if you're willing to bend the law.

For the NXE slowness: You can try the cache-clear (x x lb rb x x at system-settings->memory->hard drive), which will "Do Maintenance" on your harddrive (clearing all your game updates, so you have to re-download them), but it is reported that this speed up your system. Don't take my word for it, google +"x x lb rb x x" +nxe +speed.

originally BC was important to me...but then I realized I have a 60gb ps3, but I can't say I've played any previous gen games on a current system. so yeah wombat's statement that game companies really downplayed the ability to play older games is spot on.

Ok so you guys were talking about iTunes being easier and that the convenience factor is what leads to people buying off iTunes rather that pirating.

I just want to say that when it comes to singles that's perhaps true. It's waaaay too easy to DL whole albums and even better yet entire discographies of a band's off of bit torrent.

That's what I've heard at least...:roll:

Im a long time listener to the cagcast and yes its getting better every week (IMO). Its been about a year now that I have started to look regularly at the deals and trading forums.
Im from Canada and I want to remind to all the CAG listeners who happen to be from Canada to visit the forums to look for deals AND to post what they want or can offer for trades. The Canadian section of the forums seem to a lot less users than how many Canucks follow the weekly podcast...

wombat give us some more jew beard also i loved last weeks rebuttal give us some more of that. love the podcast. its the only thing that lasts more than an hour i can sit through

Last edited by a moderator:
Great show, I'm glad you had fun playing Killzone 2 with the community.

Any chance of you guys bringing back the live shows?

A "woman's steak"? Dude, it's nothing more than a slab of meat intended for consumption. I don't think a steak can be womanly, by definition. You could put it on a doily and top it with glitter and rainbows and it's still an oozing hunk of meat.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']And now Cheapy knows why the phrase "jumping the shark" has been replaced with "nuking the fridge."

Hey, that's what this podcast should have been called![/quote]

No it hasn't. That phrase is retarded, and only a very small minority of internet people actually use it.

Cheapy, I don't think that Madworld would be nearly as fun with a normal controller.

After playing the game the Wii controls work really well, especially for grabbing an enemy and throwing them into spikes. I think that game would get boring quick if you were playing in on the 360 or PS3. The Wii interactivity really makes the game more fun. Even though there are times where the game will ask to you violently to shake the controllers you can just lightly shake them and get the same effect. The commentary is absurd and over the top and the music really fits with the game. Ridiculous hip hop songs are redicilous.

I didn't think any of the demos were that fun. Definitely not showing signs of a game I need to buy.

And I disagree with the "woman's steak" cause I've had some really great steak that didn't have bones, and they tasted a lot better than some of Wombat's so-called "man's steak"

And I think the lag you guys are getting from the Xbox Experience is probably due to a high number of friends. I don't have that many friends (like 5 or so) on Live, so it would make sense that I'm not lagging.

Password protection lobbies sounds like a great idea.

Great show guys! Love the CAGCast! Here is my opinion on the PSP part of the show.

I had a Nintedo DS lite before and I did not like it so I got a PSP 2000 instead. I got the Daxter Bundle last year and I loved it. I mainly bought it because I wanted a MP3 player and a Portable PlayStation that could play downloaded PSone games from PSN and good ports of PS2 games like GTA, Hot Shots, and God of War. I love it and still use it to this day.

The only problem I had with the PSP was UMD. UMD was both a great and horrible idea. It was able to store a lot of data but you had the problems of movable parts in a portable console, fragile discs, and long load times. I am hoping if Sony releases a new PSP it uses regular Memory Sticks for games instead of UMDs and a secondary slot for a Pro Duo Memory Stick so I can put downloadable games on that (I dont like built in memory). However if Sony makes a new PSP without a UMD drive I would hope PSP 2 would be able to play UMD games by a download service from Sony or a separate UMD drive hooked up by USB.

Wombat...must say that the new accent is wonderful and very funny. The new ideas are great and your additional input really adds to the show. Also, if you read the Wanted graphic novel, you really should check out the movie. Finally, your fans want your input on the Watchmen movie, I know times may be hard, but you gotta find time to check it out so you can give the fans your insight.

Great show and keep it up! Can't wait till next week and I'm running to the store now for some Jello Pudding!!!

the only good thing about indy 4 was that it ended. shia ruined the film and if they wanted to cast him better he should have been cast as a nerd who slowly break out of his shell to become more like indy which im glad they didnt because now he wont be in any other indy films......i hope.

hollywood for some weird reason has alot riding on him. theyve been trying to push him as a future cross genre star i guess since he lucked out with that holes film but hes not nor will he ever be a god enough actor to be able to fill those kinds of roles properly. thats why when someone says a movie was horrible they should say it swung with monkeys.

both indy 4 and transformers were monumental turds and its impossible to say which is worse.

and dont worry about seeing walle anytime soon. its probably the most formulaic and predictable of pixar films. you know whats going to happen less than halfway through it and though its a good film the "message" within it is obvious and the climax was a letdown.

whoa whoa - slow down there, Wombat. We didn't like Jewbeard THAT much. Tone it back a pinch.

Seriously though, great show!

God, I'm feeling really bad for Wombat. This economy is terrible, I hope he doesn't get the axe. Keep us updated, Wombat, and good luck out there.

Great show, but it seems that Cheapy can't stop throwing that "internet space pimp" title all over every episode in recent weeks. It's definitely funny, but you don't want to sound too full of yourself is all. CAG definitely needs a few more members for you to properly receive that name. Keep up the good work as always.

And Wombat, I almost always prefer a nice bone in my steak much like you but that doesn't mean that boneless steaks are only for those with a weak stomach. Wombat, you could get a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it.

Another great episode.

I like the idea of using twitter during the show to ask a question to the cags or their opinion of an outline topic. Just have a answer or two queued while the cohost is ranting. If you guys can pull if off seamless like the cagbag or itunes reviews it will be a great way to add more user interaction to the show.

Great show, very entertaining! Some personal opinions:

1- I 'm sure most of handheld owners don't want to play "normal console" games on their system, only the more hardcore gamers, even though I for one really enjoyed them in my DS before I sold it;

2- Some games do allow for podcast listening, like Fighting games, most XBLA Games, Racing games and pretty much any game that requires grinding, either by desing or for achievements. But, I can see how Cheapy wouldn't be very interested in those :p. But yes, for other games, it's hard to pay attention to the show and pay attention to the game;

3- I want to participate in the contest!!

4- I also learned about CAG through the podcast... I was browsing the iTunes podcast library and decided to give you guys a chance. After a few episodes, I was hooked! So much that I decided to lurk the CagForums and finally growed the nerve to start posting on the forums. What a great move on my part if I can say that lol.

That's it for the moment, CAGcast and CAGforeplay in the same week makes for a great week!

Great show, guys.

I do have a comment about Cheapy's take on the Legends of Wrestlemania demo, though. While at first I didn't enjoy the new mechanics and controls, after a few plays it started to click in. You get a feel of things and how to progress after a while, you learn how to pull off certain chains and moves. Before getting the hang of that, I was getting my ass handed to myself regularly. I understand that the real-time events (button prompts) break the flow of the game a bit. However, I do feel that there is a strong chance that this game could be a blast to play against human opponents. And if you think the character models were too big, I've got three words for you: Legends. Of. Wrestling. THAT game had ricockulous character models.

As for TNA Impact: Yeah, the speed of the game is good. It's a good arcade-styled wrestler. Too bad it lacks character, though. Was still a good snag when I got it for $10.

Good show guys but I'm getting tired of wombat claiming games are pretentious. How can a game feel self important when a game does not have a self?

I had to wait over one hundred minutes for one half-assed burp and two fart jokes. Gentlemen, this episode was far below par and your podcasting days will be numbered with such substandard performance.

[quote name='CheapyD']After my complaint, YouTube re-enabled both of my YouTube videos
http://bit.ly/SIudc
http://bit.ly/75S5G[/quote]

Good, there was absolutely no good reason to remove those in the first place. I hope you compared your videos to the more vulgar videos on YouTube that still haven't been banned in your complaint letter, right?

The Mythbusters should do an episode that focuses on the new Indiana Jones movie.

I remember when Penny Arcade nearly killed CAG when some deal broke here and they linked to it on the front page, which was back in the days of weak, puny CAG servers.

The Wheelman demo was pretty cool since it's like a mix of Burnout and Stranglehold.

I got the PSP Media Manager for free, so I'm not sure why you guys couldn't do so, too. I haven't used it yet because I download most of my content over RSS feeds.

Why would the PSP use an SD card versus the memory sticks that it's been using so far, especially since you'd be mucking with BC games and content transfers.

Two buttons for House of the Dead: Overkill (B to shoot and A to reload).

Good show.

This is why they did not call them Big Momma's in Bioshock 2.

sq_big_momma_rewind.jpg

Cheapy, awesome you them back on youtube!

Anyways, great show guys! I think wombats theory is right, I visited CAG after listening to a couple podcast's also.

Wombat, great British accent, and I love your alter ego Jew Beard keep bringing him back.

Cheapy, I agree that the mac mini is really cool and i also perfer I-tunes over going out and getting free music online.

[quote name='Zurich']I think the problem here is that you're not actually buying the music and it's not actually yours (outside of those 10 "free" songs). You're just leasing it until you discontinue your subscription or Microsoft stops the service/store. Once you stop subscribing, you lose all of that music.

$15 a month is basically "paying" for the right to try before you buy, but that ability already exists if you're willing to bend the law.[/quote]
Well, yeah, there are things to consider. You can always just get it 'the other way' or actually purchase anything left over when you end your subscription. So meh. I mean, not everything I've downloaded I've loved, so I don't have to live with albums I paid full price for that I never want to listen to. And you can get some random stuff that you couldn't get on torrents. Oh No's Oxperiments and Billy Cobham Hi-Five are some random ones I found on Zune.

[quote name='clockworkbob']Good show guys but I'm getting tired of wombat claiming games are pretentious. How can a game feel self important when a game does not have a self?[/QUOTE]

you mean a game, twice

The Riddick demo actually featured a Dark Athena portion of the game. I have to agree that I wasn't all that impressed with it even though I was really into Butcher Bay too. I think the demo didn't really show part of what made Riddick cool, at least in my opinion. The demo seemed to focus on gunfights instead of stealth and interacting with characters.

Hey, cheapy. I just wanted to mention the part in your podcast where the poster mentioned listening to podcasts in monotonous games. I think he could have worded his question better as I also listen to podcasts like yours, foreplay, and you look nice today (thanks for telling me about those guys, wombat) when playing more time-consuming parts in games like Oblivion for instance. Great music, but after awhile it made my ears bleed from overuse so I had to turn the music off and start listening to something else. Doesn't mean it's a monotonous game, just had to find another way to play an otherwise enjoyable game with a new form of ear music.

Hi cheapy and wombat, I really like your show and what you guys do. I also learned about cheapassgamer from the pod-cast and i really appreciate your guys' opinions on games and long live the pretentious weekly game

cheapy, glad to know your videos are up. stupid youtube retards. they probably removed it without even checking.
wombat, have you seen watchmen yet? if so, did you like it? why or why not?

On having Major Nelson on another CAGcast:

You should ask him why the NXE is so freakin' slow!

Bioshock 2 and the "little brothers" had me cackling like a banshee on my commute home today. Good stuff.

bread's done
Back