CAGcast #163: The White Video Game Podcast Xperience - Red Faction Edition

[quote name='Thomas96']CheapyD
why do you have to be such an ass... As your only black listener, you didn't say anthing that I would deem offensive. However, you know you've offended people in the past, (the guy at E3), I've listened to all your shows and nothing has offended me. I guess what bothers me with this show is that.. its like you were playing around acting like you wanted to offend someone. You mentioned the BCE game and its like you stayed with it all show long... give it a rest. CAG knows about the game, there was a forum post about almost 2 months ago, and oh yeah, Kotaku mentioned the game sometime last year. Thank goodness there's two hosts... you need Wombat to keep you on track when you start acting like an ass.

Anyway, now, I find it funny how you want a "media" pass for E3, and you're gloating about how much site traffic you got, however you were the first to admit during the Kotaku (fake news story) incident that CAG isn't for news, its not a media site.

Good show, keep em coming.[/QUOTE]

I think you lost this.

FunnyBoneLg.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjIuPSuYSOY

Hey guys, great show, I didn't noticed it was over until it ended :p. According to Einstein, that's good! Some points I'd like to comment on:

1- About the Wii "Easy Button", I totally agree. Back in the 8-bit and 16-bit era, when I used to live off rental games, how many times did I get stuck at one point and just didn't want to play anymore. That doesn't happen so much today, either because I'm a better games, or because games are better designed and/or easier. That said, I agree with Cheapy, it can't hurt to have this function there. I'm not going to waste my limited patience and time and be frustraded again and again just because someone thinks it's not something a "real gamer would do". Also, I know that would make my girlfriend enjoy games more, since she does typically

2- All the weed talking, I don't mind at all and think it's funny, but for the sake of the show and to avoid forum trolls, I think you should stop mentioning, if only because it get's people all worked up, and really, if you want to discuss that, please take it somewhere else.

3- Speaking of weed, if Cheapy hadn't mentioned he was having problems with Skype at the end of the show, I was going to type that maybe he had helped himself with some leftovers from his E3 trip, because it sounded like his brain was in a different place :p;

4- The ending of the show was LOL stuff, thanks!

Cheapy I am a black listener and I understand why you did the Doug Williams football experience. Its not that your racist or anything like that, its just that its so weird to see something like that. For example, if I seen Carlos Arroyo basketball the Puerto Rician experience, I'd laugh also. But it did go on a bit long but that's not the first time that you ever kept something going all show. Wombat sounded kind of pissed and wanted you to let it go, he kind of was acting as the fans. Anyway Great podcast.

cheapy thanks for recommending the vice guide to n korea that place is soo
fucked up. damn would hate to live there great show and cheap no need too bash gran turismo gran turismo is by far the best racing game forza doesnt even come close to touching it. and y do i need to color my car when it makes no difrence on the race track and the developers kept saying it was the best racing expirience. please. great show

why do you have to be such an ass... As your only black listener, you didn't say anthing that I would deem offensive. However, you know you've offended people in the past, (the guy at E3), I've listened to all your shows and nothing has offended me. I guess what bothers me with this show is that.. its like you were playing around acting like you wanted to offend someone. You mentioned the BCE game and its like you stayed with it all show long... give it a rest. CAG knows about the game, there was a forum post about almost 2 months ago, and oh yeah, Kotaku mentioned the game sometime last year. Thank goodness there's two hosts... you need Wombat to keep you on track when you start acting like an ass.

Anyway, now, I find it funny how you want a "media" pass for E3, and you're gloating about how much site traffic you got, however you were the first to admit during the Kotaku (fake news story) incident that CAG isn't for news, its not a media site.

I'm black also, high five lol. Between Xbox live, other podcast and outside I've adjusted to the black jokes. People really love to come out of no where with them but whatever. \\:D/ CheapyD is cool and I know he thought it was REALLY funny so he kept repeating it, I know know he wasn't trying to hurt feelings. I'm going to check out the vice guide to north korea, if half of what Cheapy said is true then...... :cry:

"his farts buzzed" that was the funniest part ive heard in a long time. good job Wombat. also to Cheapy - i enjoy the weed talk, i know its not for everybody but hey, people should know what they are getting into when they download podcasts. As such...what is your favorite strain?

i heard the gameplay for Black College Football Experience is banging white chicks all day long, failing classes and how fast someone can finish eating chicken and watermelons

i KID i KID

So I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but just from the thread, I have 2 things I want to say.

1. Is it just me, or does Wombat look like Tommy Dreamer in that pic where he's going to town on that claw? Only thing he's lacking is a giant silver championship belt.

2. Cheapy: All the weed talk is making me wonder, have your parents ever said anything to you about that? You mention how they listen to the show, so i'm just wondering if they ever made a comment about that. Or not even just your weed habits, but other stuff, like your "guest room experience."

[quote name='Wolfkin']that sig is WAY too distracting.[/QUOTE]
I completely agree with this. :D

Personally, I think what was so funny about it was why is it a "black college football experience." Like, whats so different about this game than any other football game... that theirs black people? I really don't think black college football (what is that... an all black people football league? Does that even exist?) is any different than any other college football. I live in Canada and I never heard of a "full black guy college football league".

It could have been

"The white college football experience"

and I would still be wondering, wtf?

Really enjoyed the show this week. The last few weeks have felt a little...disjointed (I skipped the E3 one recorded late at night entirely), it felt like you guys had your rhythm back this week.

I am probably in the minority on this, but I think that the shows that are a little shorter (like this one) actually work better. You guys seem to lose your focus a bit when it gets much longer. Edit to add: I certainly seem to enjoy the "shorter" shows more.

/tk

I just had to drop in and mention that I just listened to the part where you guys discuss many different awesome ways to blow up buildings and was laughing for what seemed like a solid two minutes.

[quote name='natrozim']Personally, I think what was so funny about it was why is it a "black college football experience." Like, whats so different about this game than any other football game... that theirs black people? I really don't think black college football (what is that... an all black people football league? Does that even exist?) is any different than any other college football. I live in Canada and I never heard of a "full black guy college football league".

It could have been

"The white college football experience"

and I would still be wondering, wtf?[/QUOTE]

Their is a website called thefifthquarter.com which explains what the BCE is all about. Basically, the BCE game is about football w/ HBCU schools but there's also a heavy emphasis on the Marching band aspect. Because with black college football.. most of the time people are going to see the bands battle, so this football game is a basic football game but with an emphasis on Marching bands (from HBCU schools).
I was excited about the game, because w/ the EA games, they totally miss that aspect of the games, especially for HBCU schools. On EA's college football game, what's FAMU, just a school w/ a low rating. But if you watch FAMU's halftime show, you'll know why people enjoy that moreso than the football game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oitbUxWPZo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbtSFN9BBCk

one more cause they did good

last one

saw inspired halftime show

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Thomas96']Their is a website called thefifthquarter.com which explains what the BCE is all about. Basically, the BCE game is about football w/ HBCU schools but there's also a heavy emphasis on the Marching band aspect. Because with black college football.. most of the time people are going to see the bands battle, so this football game is a basic football game but with an emphasis on Marching bands (from HBCU schools).
I was excited about the game, because w/ the EA games, they totally miss that aspect of the games, especially for HBCU schools. On EA's college football game, what's FAMU, just a school w/ a low rating. But if you watch FAMU's halftime show, you'll know why people enjoy that moreso than the football game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oitbUxWPZo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbtSFN9BBCk

one more cause they did good

[/QUOTE]

i give you props for showing some examples of what that black college football experience is like but i doubt it will phase him. he'll just make another goofy ass drumline reference and maybe give a halfassed apology. im gonna check this game out though if it has a solid football game in it im there. i hope they give you the option to see the full marching band performances and if a college has more than one thatd be cool to see too. is it on ps3?

[quote name='lokizz']i give you props for showing some examples of what that black college football experience is like but i doubt it will phase him. he'll just make another goofy ass drumline reference and maybe give a halfassed apology. im gonna check this game out though if it has a solid football game in it im there. i hope they give you the option to see the full marching band performances and if a college has more than one thatd be cool to see too. is it on ps3?[/QUOTE]

he don't owe me an apology. I just want people to understand what the game is trying to represent.

acutally on second thought... he can throw one of the marching band songs on for the intro music and we'll call it even. lol

What's with all the hate on Cheapy and his weed smoking? I think that Cheapy and Wombat going off-topic is part of what makes the show so fun. If I wanted a straight news podcast without any humor I wouldn't be getting it from a site with "ass" in the URL.

Also I agree with Wombat on PS Home. I only go there by accident when trying for the PS Store and always let out a loud curse. I think Sony put the Home launch icon where they did in order to get extra "users" from accidental clicks.

[quote name='Thomas96']Their is a website called thefifthquarter.com which explains what the BCE is all about. Basically, the BCE game is about football w/ HBCU schools but there's also a heavy emphasis on the Marching band aspect. Because with black college football.. most of the time people are going to see the bands battle, so this football game is a basic football game but with an emphasis on Marching bands (from HBCU schools). [/QUOTE]

:O, well thanks for taking time to explain it, I guess I see the difference now. I didn't even know that existed since I'm not a big football fan besides watching the Superbowl.

Great CAGcast Wombat and Cheapy. I fully understand your Red Faction Guerrilla obsession, since I've been playing it constantly since I picked it up. Just finished it too. I hope you enjoy the final mission.

[quote name='natrozim']:O, well thanks for taking time to explain it, I guess I see the difference now. I didn't even know that existed since I'm not a big football fan besides watching the Superbowl.[/QUOTE]

my pleasure

Good show, guys! The last few, IMO, have been hit-or-miss, but this one was definitely a hit.

Wombat:

If you make an iPhone game, I'll support you and buy it.

as long as it's good and cheap.

Great show, guys and I wanted to further clarify my CagBag comment.

Taking into account how the Rock Band platform works I think the DLC for Abbey Road will work with Beatles: Rock Band and the other games, but non-Beatles DLC will not work with Beatles, since it wouldn't make much sense for John, Paul, George, and Ringo to play Evanescence, for example.

I do hope the DLC for Rock Band works with Lego Rock Band, though. Seeing a bunch of Lego people play "Strickened" or "Screaming for Vengeance" would be awesome!

Great CAGcast guys! When Wombat said he wanted to use a rocket dog in Scribblenauts, I almost had a shit story of my own.

Don't forget about the moving story next week.

[quote name='Thomas96']Their is a website called thefifthquarter.com which explains what the BCE is all about. Basically, the BCE game is about football w/ HBCU schools but there's also a heavy emphasis on the Marching band aspect. Because with black college football.. most of the time people are going to see the bands battle, so this football game is a basic football game but with an emphasis on Marching bands (from HBCU schools).
[/QUOTE]

Interesting post and clips, thanks. After watching those and the Vice documentary I conclude that North Korea would own BCE football if they entered a team.

I want to play Honkey Jew College Football Experience, where at half time you try to devour a 10 pound Lobster and Smoke a fat bag of weed.

So if the 360 has more good cheap games then the PS3, why is Halo 3 still $60? Why is Gears 2 still $60? You draw the comparison of LBP and Fable 2 and that's an odd comparison as you have a platformer and an RPG (2 completely different genres). Also keep in mind that LBP's price is like 30 (or was for a while) in Europe. When you see a price cut from Sony, it's mainly been from SCEE. Then let's not forget about those quality "add-ons" they both try to shove down our throats. The price point at retail is definitely deceiving.

And as for Uncharted and Heavenly Sword, I can't find them in stores anywhere so the price point about them is pretty pointless as far as I'm concerned.

Hey Wombat,

I'm a little disappointed that you didn't mention me (Shyreese) when you were talking about your 1 Vs. 100 party last Saturday. I was there, too, man!

[quote name='KingBroly']So if the 360 has more good cheap games then the PS3, why is Halo 3 still $60? Why is Gears 2 still $60? You draw the comparison of LBP and Fable 2 and that's an odd comparison as you have a platformer and an RPG (2 completely different genres). Also keep in mind that LBP's price is like 30 (or was for a while) in Europe. When you see a price cut from Sony, it's mainly been from SCEE. Then let's not forget about those quality "add-ons" they both try to shove down our throats. The price point at retail is definitely deceiving.

And as for Uncharted and Heavenly Sword, I can't find them in stores anywhere so the price point about them is pretty pointless as far as I'm concerned.[/QUOTE]

Halo 3 is 39.99 http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=63851.

LBP & Fable 2 were released around the same and were both big exclusive holiday titles, from a retail standpoint I would say the comparison is quite valid.

What game has more paid content Gears 2, Fable or LBP?

I get a kick out of listners who complain about the, lets call them bodily function references. I mean, what podcast do they think they are listening to? That's part of the CAGCast deal. Frankly, this is the only video game podcast that is a must listen for me. Some podcasts seem forced in their occasional silliness, but here its just part of the ride. Pus, with two diaper changing dads, you'd expect #2 is a big part of their day.

[quote name='KingBroly']So if the 360 has more good cheap games then the PS3, why is Halo 3 still $60? Why is Gears 2 still $60? You draw the comparison of LBP and Fable 2 and that's an odd comparison as you have a platformer and an RPG (2 completely different genres). Also keep in mind that LBP's price is like 30 (or was for a while) in Europe. When you see a price cut from Sony, it's mainly been from SCEE. Then let's not forget about those quality "add-ons" they both try to shove down our throats. The price point at retail is definitely deceiving.

And as for Uncharted and Heavenly Sword, I can't find them in stores anywhere so the price point about them is pretty pointless as far as I'm concerned.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Halo 3 retails for $40 now. Gears of War 2 still retails for $60, but has been on sale for $40 or less at major retailers numerous times since its release last fall. It's just the facts of life that Xbox 360 exclusives get cheaper much quicker than PlayStation 3 exclusives.

The reason you don't see Uncharted and Heavenly Sword much at retail is because they haven't had price drops. Retailers are not going to place orders for 2 year old games with MSRPs of $60 that are not likely to sell as fast as new releases. Both can still be found on Amazon for $57 though.

And if you want to compare platformer to platformer, maybe a Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts to LittleBigPlanet comparison is more one to one. Banjo came out at $20 less than LBP, and now retails for $30 (although it is often on sale for $20). LBP still retails for $60, but Amazon currently has it on sale for $48.

Any talk about PS3 sales figures reminds me of the fact that the PS3/game attach rate is much lower than the 360. I suspect that the PS3 audience is a hybrid of the Wii and 360 buyers. You have some gamers, and some regular consumers buying it for family use (BR and gaming). I know that most of the non-gamer folks I know who buy a PS3 do so for the BR capability first and foremost.

It's great to sell a lot of hardware when it's profitable (like Nintendo). The success of more advanced money losing hardware (like the PS3 and 360) depends on selling software. Which could at least partially explain Sony's record losses for last year.

Oh, and let me hark back to Cagcasts of yore and call the Cagcast with ChD, Wom, and Nelson the DREAMCAST. It was that good. Not that most every Cagcast with ChD and Wom aren't good. Nelson just made it even gooder.

[quote name='Kezmer']I want to play Honkey Jew College Football Experience, where at half time you try to devour a 10 pound Lobster and Smoke a fat bag of weed.[/QUOTE]

and holding up the hotdog vendor complaining about 10 cents.

[quote name='shipwreck']Actually, Halo 3 retails for $40 now. Gears of War 2 still retails for $60, but has been on sale for $40 or less at major retailers numerous times since its release last fall. It's just the facts of life that Xbox 360 exclusives get cheaper much quicker than PlayStation 3 exclusives.

The reason you don't see Uncharted and Heavenly Sword much at retail is because they haven't had price drops. Retailers are not going to place orders for 2 year old games with MSRPs of $60 that are not likely to sell as fast as new releases. Both can still be found on Amazon for $57 though.

And if you want to compare platformer to platformer, maybe a Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts to LittleBigPlanet comparison is more one to one. Banjo came out at $20 less than LBP, and now retails for $30 (although it is often on sale for $20). LBP still retails for $60, but Amazon currently has it on sale for $48.[/QUOTE]

The way to do the comparison Ship is in comparing cross-platform games. I always figured it was because the install base is lower on the PS3, and the BluRay disks are more expensive to manufacture. For example Red Faction, more expensive on PS3, and COD World and War, more expensive on PS3. There are other examples. Occasionally, you will see the reverse, where lets say Major League Baseball 2k9 is discounted on the PS3, but that's because there is no other baseball game other than 2k9 on the 360. Or where a game comes out on the PS3 first as an exclusive and then the 360 (but I'm not sure there are many of those - one can't come to mind offhand).

Cheapy, I'm not really sure why people are so overly critical of what stories you want to talk about. The CAGcast has always been good because you guys want to talk about what you want to talk about. I like hearing your crazy stories and personal drama. That's what makes your show fun to listen to. The haters just don't understand what makes your show unique.

Wombat, sucks to hear your basement became a stoage room for crap. You gonna keep all that stuff or just toss them? I don't see why you need to keep them if you don't want to.

[quote name='shipwreck']And if you want to compare platformer to platformer, maybe a Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts to LittleBigPlanet comparison is more one to one. Banjo came out at $20 less than LBP, and now retails for $30 (although it is often on sale for $20). LBP still retails for $60, but Amazon currently has it on sale for $48.[/QUOTE]

That's a much better comparison, but I'll argue that pretty much every Rare game on 360 has had a quick price cut due to poor sales.

And yes, I know why retailers don't carry full priced games beyond a certain unless they sell, but if you can't find it at retail it basically like it doesn't exist. And I don't buy games from Amazon unless I can get a really good deal on it.

As for Halo 3, stores in my area still have it at $59.99 (2 Targets, Wal-Mart Supercenter and a Best Buy), so that's clearly their problem to make me think it was still full price.

[quote name='ianoid']Any talk about PS3 sales figures reminds me of the fact that the PS3/game attach rate is much lower than the 360.[/QUOTE]
i haven't watched the numbers(and responses) in a long time because i didn't and still don't care but i was under the impression that the PS3 had lower sales but a HIGHER attach rate. isn't that what Sony is always bragging about all the time how a) sales are increasing X% and attach rate is higher than other consoles?

[quote name='shipwreck']Actually, Halo 3 retails for $40 now. Gears of War 2 still retails for $60, but has been on sale for $40 or less at major retailers numerous times since its release last fall. It's just the facts of life that Xbox 360 exclusives get cheaper much quicker than PlayStation 3 exclusives.

And if you want to compare platformer to platformer, maybe a Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts to LittleBigPlanet comparison is more one to one. Banjo came out at $20 less than LBP, and now retails for $30 (although it is often on sale for $20). LBP still retails for $60, but Amazon currently has it on sale for $48.[/QUOTE]

theres a reason why banjo kazooie started out so cheap and ended up selling even cheaper sooner than many games............ a number of the game comparisons made on the show do seem kind of off. hell even the ds has games that are still selling at a high price point considering the time theyve been out and id assume the wii has some too. as far as alot of that goes its kind of irrelevant since if you look around you can find deals on many of those games at diff times if you do the research.

Much better show this week.

I hear you guys talking so much about Red Faction, but you haven't even mentioned the multiplayer yet. I think it's even better than the single player. I've also noticed a trend upward of people playing Red Faction on my friends list. I think THQ may have a surprise hit on their hands.

Volition has quietly become one of the better developers of this generation.

Another great show! I was hearing this on my ipod in a restaurant and when Wombat said "Mario Cock", I laugh so hard almost everybody was starring at me.

I'm confused as to why Wombat thinks not being able to go inside of buildings in Infamous is a big deal. What could you possibly want to do inside of a building that the lack of it makes it not fun?

Infamous sold as well as a game without much hype can do, which is only worse than four other games in May on an off year for sales. Killzone 2's US sales I can see some disappointment in since it was hyped greatly for four years or so.

Good show.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm confused as to why Wombat thinks not being able to go inside of buildings in Infamous is a big deal. What could you possibly want to do inside of a building that the lack of it makes it not fun?

Infamous sold as well as a game without much hype can do, which is only worse than four other games in May on an off year for sales. Killzone 2's US sales I can see some disappointment in since it was hyped greatly for four years or so.

Good show.[/QUOTE]

well, Wombat had a point about Zeke's rooftop home. that doesn't make much sense. :)

No power = Get up on the roof so you aren't stuck in a dark building and stay out of the way of the Reapers that rule the streets early on.

Hey Wombat I'm a black listener and I'm still here. Maybe if CheapyD should start an ad campaign to attract more black listeners.

365black_02.jpg

Hi Cheapy and Wombat, loved the show. Just had a correction for you guys. The Black College Football experience would not have had black athletes having sex with white women. This is because there are very few if any white women that attend historically black colleges. I graduated from a black college and found that the white kickers had the better experience. Why? because they were able to take advantage of some of the most delicious black booty that I had ever seen. You should have seen these guys. Both of them just happy as larks like they had hit the jackpot. As a result, the other football players actually had to go across town to other campuses in order to get their fill of white women. Why stay on campus. Granted you get all the booty you wanted but it did come with the price of high drama. Anyways, keep up the great work guys.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']No power = Get up on the roof so you aren't stuck in a dark building and stay out of the way of the Reapers that rule the streets early on.[/QUOTE]

dammit, you're right. okay, i'll side with you on this one ;)

Black is a color.

I hate jews!

Great show.

You guys seriously doubted that Wombat was jealous of CheapyD when you read my question from the last show. Without having the inclination to create a cogent arguement by listening to the show again, I can only give you the kind of arguement that I give my wife. That is just my impression. Wombat often (although not during the latest show) seems to want to bring Cheapy down a notch by pointing out his flaws as an internet space pimp (hate the game not the playa), as a host, and as an operator of a web empire. Whether it's point out that he doesn't provide good E3 coverage, or whether Wombat is pointing out that Cheapy didn't use the word 'friend' to describe his offer to fly out Ship or Wombat.

Listeners seem way too sensitive about any use of the word black, and far too willing to label someone a racist. Calling someone a racist is very insulting. It's hardly worth defending yourself.

I am a jew!

And I do really enjoy the podcast. I commute a lot and this is pretty much my #1 podcast. Almost everything else I listen to routinely is an NPR podcast (Marketplace, Fresh Air, This American Life). I wish there were a few more podcasts in the tech/gaming sector that were as good as the Cagcast, but usually they just have snorting sniffling nasal nerds rambling on a soapbox without concern for entertainment. Buzz Out Loud is ok, I guess. I think that Cheapy's actual interest in radio (that is, being a Stern fan) is a boon.

Just finished watching the "Vice Guide to North Korea". Very funny and fucked up at the same time. Thanks for the recomendation Cheapy. Any other documentaries you would recomend?

I finished watching a documentary called "Frontrunners" recently on Netflix instant watch. It's about an election at a prestigious highschool in NewYork City. It was really good and I would recomend it.

I thoroughly enjoyed the "Vice Guide to North Korea" as well. I would recommend checking out the other videos of that series, check out the Pakistan one and the Shanghai one as well (featuring David Cross!)

I dont know what people are bitching about , i dont know why people cant let cheapy have a weekend brake . I know this is a gameing website but everyone needs a brake or two from work , e3 is his brake to get away and smoke some weed , thats kool with me .

And the whole wombat thing about him thinking he is so good for the show , i think if either of them wasnt on the show that it wouldnt be a hit like it is now , i like to listen in for there personality and they both feed off of each other.

Anyways awesome show guys i hope when you both are old and cant talk anymore that you both would let your kids take over the show.

bread's done
Back