CAGcast #164: Wombat and Hitler Were Right

[quote name='jeffpm']When they were talking about Best Buying having trade in kiosks, Cheapy said that he thinks most of the people that trade games to Gamestop are knowledgeable, savvy gamers. Does anyone else disagree with that? I think that most people who trade games to Gamestop have no idea they are getting ripped off so badly. I think most knowledgeable and savvy gamers either sell their stuff on amazon/eBay/etc.. or trade their games on a site like GameTZ, Goozex, or even the forums on CAG. Maybe I'm wrong with this, but I know that I avoid selling my games to Gamestop at ALL costs.[/QUOTE]

And I think most people who bash on trading games into Gamestop don't know how to do it right. Saying one method of getting rid of games will always be better than another is just foolish.

[quote name='lokizz']i really like to play games that challenge me and force me to get better or to try harder to win.[/QUOTE]

I can understand/appreciate that. Sometimes, though, I enjoy playing on normal just to play. Real life can be enough of a challenge for me some days and I'd rather just shoot fish in a barrel. :)

[quote name='Curufinwe']@ tired internet meme guy - if you can't see how futile and silly it is for someone to lecture CheapyD and Wombat about what Hitler did in WWII like they are unaware then I genuinely feel sorry for you, or at least for those who have to take care of you.

Keep bashing away at your keyboard some more and maybe next time some words or even an actual argument will pop up on screen.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry you find the meme tired, but I was hoping to support your very succinct response with an appropriately mocking picture. I suppose I could have added a paragraph further elaborating how the lecturer had missed the point of the title, the identities of those who made the joke, and the folly of taking our completely un-serious hosts seriously, but I was envious of your pithy response and truncated my post accordingly. Please forgive my transgression of riding on your coattails.

Rather than continuing to bash away at my keyboard, I offer this: :booty:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Wombat']I noticed this was not in the show notes for some reason:

http://audioboo.fm/boos/31870[/QUOTE]

E*Master was asking for outro suggestions for our last podcast, and I actually suggested that to him. He went with Matthew Perry talking about Fallout 3 on The View instead.

[quote name='lokizz']i dont get why anyone plays games on easy difficulty. yeah i know we all have diff skill levels when it comes to games but man why they hell even bother. though i dont always try the hardest difficulty i tend to play a game on the next hardest and then the hardest and its always.

yeah some games can get really hard to beat ( like god of war with the clone battle, or deadspace on the highest difficulty) but it always feels more like an accomplshment to play a game once to get the basic story and a hang of whats going on and then go in there and kick its ass on the highest difficulty.

sucks that it seems like more people tend to lean towards just doing it on normal or easy or they just play games for trophies or acheivements but i really like to play games that challenge me and force me to get better or to try harder to win.[/QUOTE]
I usually play a game on the normal difficulty, or occasionally the second highest difficulty. I don't see the point of playing a game when the entire time I'm getting frustrated because I can't get past a certain point no matter what I do. Though games that I love, I'll play on all the difficulties just to get the most fun out of the game.

And you can't really get better at CoD4 when every shot is a one-hit kill. All you can do is memorize where the enemy spawns so you can shoot him before he sees you.

Great show guys! The title peaked my interest for sure...I liked your point of view on the whole rating systems I but mostly games that are given 6 and 7 scores. Those scores just help my wallet, they are usually the cheapest. And" Mad Props" to Cheapy for busting out the good ol "CD's Nuts" joke on Wombat...classic

Great show this week guys. I used to listen to the CAGcast every week about a year ago, but stopped for some reason (I can't remember why). After randomly tuning in a few weeks ago I've found myself downloading the CAGcast this morning for the 5th consecutive week. What does that mean? Well I guess you guys are putting out the usual quality content.

I noticed that twitter comes up regularly in the CAGcast, seeing as it's such an important part of the industry these days. I'd like to take the moment to shamelessly plug the CAG Twitter Directory thread I made:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225538

I'd also like to ask if either of you have seen this story yet?

http://gaygamer.net/2009/06/double_helix_qa_lead_uses_anti.html

Cheapy, do they have White Castle in Japan? If so, take your friend there and buy him a few sliders. He'll be pooping for days

[quote name='DarkZion']I usually play a game on the normal difficulty, or occasionally the second highest difficulty. I don't see the point of playing a game when the entire time I'm getting frustrated because I can't get past a certain point no matter what I do. Though games that I love, I'll play on all the difficulties just to get the most fun out of the game.

And you can't really get better at CoD4 when every shot is a one-hit kill. All you can do is memorize where the enemy spawns so you can shoot him before he sees you.[/QUOTE]

speaking of call of duty ive been playing world at war and that damn sniper part is kicking my ass. i think i may have finally figured it out but as mad as its getting me i know ill ge past it .......just hope it doesnt take too long like it looks like it will lol.

I don't know if CAG tshirts even exist but that CAG Member who is going on Hells Kitchen needs one pronto. I'm sure they film them in casual attire occasionally on that show!

I was really annoyed at what Wombat said about Activision's threat to Sony.
Activision would be downright braindead to take away support for a console that made them hundreds of millions last year and would continue to make them more and more, the support base for the PS3 is growing pretty fast.

For example, Cod WAW on the PS3 sold about 4- 5 million and the dlc on the ps store, etc. Guitar hero and the songs make them tons of money for sure.

You were talking about left 4 dead and saying that Valve didnt make l4d for ps3 and instead used that cash for marketing, no, the reason they didnt make it for ps3 is because they think its too difficult to make a game for it, but now are looking into it.

This is just activision becoming last gen's EA

Hey, Wombat:

you can get the 3.0 for the iTouch for free. You just need to find a place to download the firmware(there are places...) and then install on your Touch (shift/command click on the "restore" button on the iPod status). That's it. There's no verification or anything like that. $10 for an update that is free for the iPhone is just ridiculous...

Great show this week, im always more of a top chef person but i will definitely tune into this season of hells kitchen, and that title was pretty intriguing...i really like the idea for a wombat focused segment (even though it was taken over by cheapy a little) cause the cags on news never really made much sense to me

Wombat - you missed the main point of last.fm: you use a plug-in with iTunes (or whatever), and it makes recommendations based on your listening habits.

[quote name='Wombat']You are right I called him a her, I thought he was the President of the company who is a woman and Jenova sounds like a girls name to me.[/QUOTE]

Chalk it up to the Nyquil! :)

@Wombat

Probably already mentioned but that Punisher game isnt made by epic, they are however using the Unreal Engine. It's actually Zen Studios

Hi there guys, long term listener, second time commentor.

Love the show, but you guys have the wrong end of the stick re: last.fm. I have been a last.fm user for 3 years as have many friends, and this is where it excels... you install it on your PC/ipod/iphone/mac and it records all the music/podcasts/etc you listen to and stores that data and builds up stats about your music tastes, and you can compare against your friends music, get recommendations, user your top tens on forum posts, make new friends who have the exact same taste as you, use it as a wikipedia for music, find out about gigs, use it to book tickets, etc.

I rarely use the radio stations it suggests based on my library, but I will often tune in to my own library on the iphone last.fm app so I don't have to fill my ipod with it - more space for apps and podcasts!

Pls bring back Jewbear the Pirate!

[quote name='Microshock']I was really annoyed at what Wombat said about Activision's threat to Sony.
Activision would be downright braindead to take away support for a console that made them hundreds of millions last year and would continue to make them more and more, the support base for the PS3 is growing pretty fast.

For example, Cod WAW on the PS3 sold about 4- 5 million and the dlc on the ps store, etc. Guitar hero and the songs make them tons of money for sure.

You were talking about left 4 dead and saying that Valve didnt make l4d for ps3 and instead used that cash for marketing, no, the reason they didnt make it for ps3 is because they think its too difficult to make a game for it, but now are looking into it.

This is just activision becoming last gen's EA[/QUOTE]Maybe, maybe. But Wombat's point is that it costs more to develop for the PS3 but the returns are less. G4 ran some stats before the Microsoft E3 press conference. With all the major releases, the Xbox version of games outsold the PS3 2-to-1 or more. That's just fact. From a business perspective you have to asks yourself if it makes sense to spend money on that platform or use that money to make another game on a system that will sell more copies.

[quote name='volt1up']@Wombat

Probably already mentioned but that Punisher game isnt made by epic, they are however using the Unreal Engine. It's actually Zen Studios[/QUOTE]

Honest mistake, thanks for pointing out, for a while the game's website was just one static screen with the Epic logo on the bottom and I get confused easily.

If MW2 sold 6 million on 360 and 3 million on PS3, and then next year's game was only on 360, and it only sold 6 million, they'd be losing out on a good deal of money. They're not going to magically make up that 3 million of potential sales by removing a single console from the equation.

It's an empty threat, especially considering that guy thinks the Wii should cost $150 right now or soon (he said so in an interview last year) even though it's still outselling 360 and PS3 monthly. They're not going to stop developing on Wii because they didn't drop their price when he said it should happen.

[quote name='KingBroly']If MW2 sold 6 million on 360 and 3 million on PS3, and then next year's game was only on 360, and it only sold 6 million, they'd be losing out on a good deal of money. They're not going to magically make up that 3 million of potential sales by removing a single console from the equation.

It's an empty threat, especially considering that guy thinks the Wii should cost $150 right now or soon (he said so in an interview last year) even though it's still outselling 360 and PS3 monthly. They're not going to stop developing on Wii because they didn't drop their price when he said it should happen.[/QUOTE]

well you need to factor in the costs of marketing and development for the port, that 3 million sales may only be a profit on 1 million sales. Or they can keep that money as a bonus and revel in the 360 success. For the record I did say it was an empty threat also, but still the threat was made, so my view must have some validilty

Correction:
"In Resident Evil for the Wii, players now have a wide range of control options, including the Wiimote and nunchuck in combination, which lets players shake the Wiimote to ready their weapons."

http://wii.ign.com/objects/142/14283734.html

The theory behind it is "It's only $29.99, so it's much easier to grab than tracking down a used GameCube game and a controller." as you said. http://blogs.ign.com/Capcom-Unity/2009/06/24/123690/

The interesting part is the title "The First Resident Evil Archives Title Hit Store Shelves Today!" will there be more?

I have never posted a serious comment about the CAGcast, but Cheapy's ignorant assumptions about reviewer "bias" have finally driven me to do so.

First of all, let me state that I own all 3 current-gen consoles, and although I generally buy and play more Xbox 360 games, I consider myself to be completely unbiased.

So, Cheapy, you enjoyed Red Faction more than Infamous?In the words of Christian Bale, "GOOD FOR YOU!!!" I happen to think that Infamous is the best game of the year so far, hands-down, and there are plenty of other people who share that opinion. This notion that simply because a game that YOU prefer is getting slightly lower (yet still very impressive) review scores is simply because Infamous is a PS3 exclusive is ridiculous. You sound like a child when you make this argument. I didn't care much for your "Legend of Frank" theory, but this is even more absurd.

Red Faction and Infamous are very similar in quality, so if critics tend to like one more than the other, get the fuck over it. It's not like they're trashing Red Faction for things that it shares in common with Infamous.

Whew, glad I got that off my chest. Anyways, I love the show - you and Wombat do a great job - I just needed to vent.

For activision to break off ties with sony would be a huge hit to their bottom line, you have to understand the ps2 was also more expensive to develop for, obviously it had a much larger install base but the ps3 install base is already at 22 million compared to the 360's 30 million.

by 2010 or 2011 when they said they may have to stop supporting sony, the install base will probably be over 40 - 50 million, and who the hell would miss out on 50 million potential customers? And BY then, they will have a lot of experience with the ps3 and therefore not as expensive to develop for.

So no, your theory is wrong

[quote name='Microshock']For activision to break off ties with sony would be a huge hit to their bottom line, you have to understand the ps2 was also more expensive to develop for, obviously it had a much larger install base but the ps3 install base is already at 22 million compared to the 360's 30 million.

by 2010 or 2011 when they said they may have to stop supporting sony, the install base will probably be over 40 - 50 million, and who the hell would miss out on 50 million potential customers? And BY then, they will have a lot of experience with the ps3 and therefore not as expensive to develop for.

So no, your theory is wrong[/QUOTE]

is that the worldwide or US install base?

[quote name='tcolberg']I'm sorry you find the meme tired, but I was hoping to support your very succinct response with an appropriately mocking picture. I suppose I could have added a paragraph further elaborating how the lecturer had missed the point of the title, the identities of those who made the joke, and the folly of taking our completely un-serious hosts seriously, but I was envious of your pithy response and truncated my post accordingly. Please forgive my transgression of riding on your coattails.

Rather than continuing to bash away at my keyboard, I offer this: :booty:[/QUOTE]

I found it tired when I thought it was directed at my post, since finding out it was directed at the other post I now find it entertaining and appropriate. :)

just started, Cheapy lived in the East Coast and he never heard of Chili's?? seriously?

[quote name='lokizz']i dont get why anyone plays games on easy difficulty. [/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you don't have kids and therefore more time to devote to games.

[quote name='Wombat']is that the worldwide or US install base?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that's a worldwide install base or it's the amount of units they've shipped worldwide. I'm not really sure myself. But I'm pretty sure that a multiplatform game (360/PS3) needs to sell somewhere around 2.5 million copies total to break even including marketing. I think that number was thrown around concerning Tomb Raider Underworld.

oh Wombat, sorry if this was mentioned before, but my coworker told me that Aquatica was taken off the Apple store today.

btw, i fully endorse this new Wombat-only section. :)

last but not least, lookin' forward to seeing JimmieMac cry on Hell's Kitchen ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Falion']I have never posted a serious comment about the CAGcast, but Cheapy's ignorant assumptions about reviewer "bias" have finally driven me to do so.

First of all, let me state that I own all 3 current-gen consoles, and although I generally buy and play more Xbox 360 games, I consider myself to be completely unbiased.

So, Cheapy, you enjoyed Red Faction more than Infamous?In the words of Christian Bale, "GOOD FOR YOU!!!" I happen to think that Infamous is the best game of the year so far, hands-down, and there are plenty of other people who share that opinion. This notion that simply because a game that YOU prefer is getting slightly lower (yet still very impressive) review scores is simply because Infamous is a PS3 exclusive is ridiculous. You sound like a child when you make this argument. I didn't care much for your "Legend of Frank" theory, but this is even more absurd.

Red Faction and Infamous are very similar in quality, so if critics tend to like one more than the other, get the fuck over it. It's not like they're trashing Red Faction for things that it shares in common with Infamous.

Whew, glad I got that off my chest. Anyways, I love the show - you and Wombat do a great job - I just needed to vent.[/QUOTE]

what i thought was interesting about that was he made the point to mention ps3 and wii games by name that he felt got inflated scores but didnt menton a 360 game by name. yes he said all consoles but why not point out an example of a 360 games too? i dont think infamous got an inflated score you see that more in popular series like mgs, halo , mario then you would in a new ip.

most people dont know nor do they care that infamous was made by the same group that did sly cooper yeah some reviewers would know but the general public wouldnt. thats why when it comes to the things they say about games in the cagcast i dont just take it with a grain of salt i use th whole damn salt shaker.

i do hope more games take notice of the destructibility of the world in redfaction. itd be cool to see that in more games.

[quote name='Microshock']For activision to break off ties with sony would be a huge hit to their bottom line, you have to understand the ps2 was also more expensive to develop for, obviously it had a much larger install base but the ps3 install base is already at 22 million compared to the 360's 30 million.

So no, your theory is wrong[/QUOTE]

your thoery is based on a world wide estimate of unknown futrure sales; so unless you can provide me with sales of consoles based on region as compared to Activision game sales based on region with the cost of development for each game by console, please don't tell me my thoery, which is just a thoery, is wrong

Infamous and Red Faction have almost the exact same average score on gamerankings, so I don't think Infamous is a great example of a game getting more praise from reviewers for being an exclusive.

Infamous PS3 - 86.52%

Red Faction Guerrilla PS3 - 86.87%

[quote name='Wolfkin']Correction:
"In Resident Evil for the Wii, players now have a wide range of control options, including the Wiimote and nunchuck in combination, which lets players shake the Wiimote to ready their weapons."

http://wii.ign.com/objects/142/14283734.html

The theory behind it is "It's only $29.99, so it's much easier to grab than tracking down a used GameCube game and a controller." as you said. http://blogs.ign.com/Capcom-Unity/2009/06/24/123690/

The interesting part is the title "The First Resident Evil Archives Title Hit Store Shelves Today!" will there be more?[/QUOTE]

Hmm... at E3 the Capcom representative told me that there were no Wii motion controls what-so-ever when I was playing it, so that "shaking" must be so minor that even he didn't know anything about it. And yes, the next Resident Evil Archives is for Resident Evil Zero. Both are just simple ports of the GameCube exclusive versions of Resident Evil games.

Last.fm helps you keep track of what you're listening to, on your ipod, in itunes or wherever, and then other people can browse to your profile and check it out.

I think it would be cool to learn what cheapy, wombat and the shipwrecks are listening to. It's like the music/podcast version of twitter.

Yeah, last-fm is more of a musical social network that keeps track of everything you've listened to and also recommends stuff. It's not supposed to be a Pandora clone.

[quote name='Curufinwe']I found it tired when I thought it was directed at my post, since finding out it was directed at the other post I now find it entertaining and appropriate. :)[/QUOTE]

Glad to be of service. ;)

[quote name='Microshock']It's too much work, it's your theory, not mine
Let's just leave it at activision doesnt have the balls[/QUOTE]

sounds like a plan

On how you guys were speaking about playing in the band at high school and which instruments you learnt. Talking about picking up chicks and getting laid from playing an instrument. I also played in the bad early in high school, but played guitar, and nothing happened. Nothing happened after high school either. Its a sham. I have not found any chicks that want to go you cause you play the guitar. Unless there is something wrong with me. hah

There was one time when we were doing a pub gig and this chick came up to us and basically offered us all a blow job by licking her lips in front of us after telling us we were awesome, but then her boyfriend came up straight after that and told us they were going and she was way to drunk. That was pretty funny, but thats about as close as I've come. :)

Another terrible intro to make 2009 an awful year for intro music. At least the two episodes of CAG Foreplay for this year seemed to have good intro music from what I recall of them.

I do hate being led on by PR when they ask for my mailing address so that they can send the game and never follow through after that. That's kind of one of the reasons I prefer to look at review codes of downloadable games since they're much easier to get from publishers or PR.

I did watch my Q for Gamefly, which had Ghostbusters 360 at #1 and PS3 at #2, as both versions went into stock and about 15 minutes later, the 360 version went to Low (aka out of stock) while nothing happened with the PS3 version. Later that day, I saw that I was getting the PS3 version, so I was at least glad I get to play it at all. This thing seemed to happen with Prototype and Bionic Commando, though only I only had the PS3 version in my Q for the latter.

I'm glad that Microsoft finally realized eight months later that moving around the dashboard is really slow. I've been waiting for about 18 months for the ability to eject a disc with just the controller, as ejecting the tray only happens when its empty.

Did you try the co-op portion of the Uncharted 2 beta? That's the only part of the multiplayer that I'm interested in. Otherwise, I'm greatly anticipating footage of other parts of the game that don't take place in a war-torn city.

Kotick's made this complaint to Sony and/or Microsoft about needing to cut their prices ASAP for two years now. He even voiced his disappointment that nothing was announced on that subject by anyone during E3. He's just crying wolf like he usually does every six months or so.

Aquatica was taken down pretty quickly after being made free for a small part of a day. By the way, you should get to know JenovaChen to help you learn to not guess someone's gender based on their first name. ;)

Activision's giving the Call of Duty license to Treyarch, so Infinity Ward is left out on their own. They'll probably at least put a note on the cover about it being the sequel to COD4 or that it's made by the guys that made COD4.

I would guess that most owners of Pain got it for free. Rock Band is your counter example of where the consumer isn't screwed over by DLC.

Good show.

Just a word on Last.fm

I really enjoy the service. It has had a higher profile here in the UK than anywhere else I guess, so I have a bit of experience using it as I first encountered it in '05

Basically Last.fm gets better the more you use it. Yes, you can just type in a load of bands to it and it will try to figure out some recommendations you might enjoy, but where last.fm really comes into its own is with its plugin. You can download plugins for your iPod, for your media player of choice (iTunes, Winamp, Windows Media etc..) and it will "listen" to what you are listening to and develop its recommendations that way. Then when you visit Last.fm it will play recommendations based on that. Its pretty cool because not only does it know what kind of music you are interested in in general because of the information you gave it, it can also have a pretty good guess at what kind of a mood you are in because it knows what you have been listening to recently.
I love it on my iPod Touch, if I am out in the garden cutting the lawn or something (yeah, I am an old man..) then firing up last.fm and listening to something completly new over the WLAN is awesome.
I am kinda looking forward to it on 360, mostly because my 360 is connected to the best audio system in the house and ill use it regardless, but I also agree with Wombat that if Last.fm can be used in the background and will stream music while the 360 plays games then it will be really great.

And I apologise for the poor syntax in my above post. I am too lazy to correct it though.:oops:

Transformers 2 wasn't that bad at all...a lot better then the 1st one. Seen it twice once in Imax and once regular...both times FREE!!

Good show

bread's done
Back