CAGcast #174: Shoplifting Grapefruits and Other Tasteless Metaphors

[quote name='fatbeer']I can't believe Wombat outrage at Capcom double-dipping for Street Fighter, while he let Halo: ODST slide in previous podcast(which is also guilty of same crime). Are really that surprised with Capcom's double dipping? Just look at their history with Street Fighter 2(Super Street fighter, Championship Edition, Hyper, Turbo, ) Street Fighter 3(2nd and 3rd impact) and those multi-color Megaman Battle Networks.[/QUOTE]
How is Halo: ODST similar at all to what Capcom is doing with RE5 and SFIV? Isn't it an entirely new game?

And yes, Capcom has put out incremental updates for games in the past... but it's a little different now, since they now have the ability to release game updates via patches or as add-ons via DLC. There is absolutely no reason to put out a retail disc from a consumer standpoint.

I love me some Capcom games, but I'm a bit annoyed since Super SFIV should be a $20.00 DLC download, not another copy of what is essentially the same game I bought less than a year ago.

I prefer a new/sealed copy of a game over a used one any day of the week. However, if there is a game that I was on the fence about, I'll either rent it or buy it used. As many video game publisher/developers cry about, they lose money when it comes to used video game sales. I can see where a company like Capcom recovers some of their losses by re-releasing favorites & milking a title for all it's worth.

Hey, Cheapy, some of what you described with that book (Under and Alone) sounds like an old movie with Charlie Sheen called Beyond The Law, which was supposed to be a true story about an FBI agent that goes deep undercover in infiltrate a violent motorcycle gang.

Wombat, if you're alright with all the sugar, V8 Fusion, Goji Raspberry, thank me later.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chris Carter']I think you need to read a few of the reviews again, because the main reason Demon's Souls is scoring so high is because of the fact that it presents you with a challenge in a fair manner. When you fail, you actually feel like it's your own fault, and not the game's design.

In fact, I'm actually more surprised by the people who say it's "impossible", because after you give the game a chance, it's quite easy. Most of the people who've given up treat the game like a hack n' slash, and ignore dodge rolls; heck, I even met a few people who didn't dodge roll in God of War, and just mashed square and triangle.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. Demon's Souls isn't hard in the "guys keep killing me from off sceen that is so cheap" sense at all. It's hard because the combat requires patience, and building a character is much better if you have some sort of plan.

After the first hour or so of learning the controls, I find it less twitch difficult and more interesting challenge. If you go in flailing Fable II style, your toast, but if you move slowly and diliberately it's actually quite fun.

Because of this slow, considered pace it is rather time consuming, and I can definately understand reviewers having a tough time with it given thier schedules this time of year.

That being said, Wombat's idea of dinging the game cause it's too hard is assinine. It's not hard to play, it's just a bit hard to wrap your head around how to play. If the idea of a really intricate game (don't get me started on manipulating world tendancy and character tendacy to snag good gear) doesn't appeal to you, you probably shouldn't play it.

A more accurate non-review would be "I couldn't review this game because i didn't have the time and/or patience to figure it out".

p.s. I'm new so, hola to the CAG forums.

I don't think you guys should've been so surprised about Super SF4, SF2 and 3 both had multiple variations of them so this one was bound to happen, I'm not too upset because it seems to be alot of updates not just a few small ones.

Concerning Demon's Souls, I've never seen so many gamers so afraid of a game. Cheapy says it seems like a game he'd like but doesn't want to deal with the frustration of dying. Others are saying they're going to play offline only so they don't get PvP'd. Good lord guys. Grow a pair. Step out of your comfort zone. I promise you, if you give the game a chance and put a little effort into understanding the gameplay, you will find it is one of the freshest and most rewarding games on the PS3. I can't believe a quality title like this gets shit for being too difficult, and a virtual pinball game gets the CAGcast seal of approval. For shame guys.

took me a week to finish this cagcast ( sorry but sometimes when you all start yammering i get bored and fall asleep) that aside man you are some whiny game bitches. so what if a game is hard thats the fun part of gaming to be faced with something that challenges you and youre forced to get better or think utside of the box to beat it. yeah you get those annoying moments ( like the spinning hell blades or kratos clone battles of gow1 or the rc plane missions of gta san andreas) and each of those i mentioned i loathed to the point of cursing and controller tossing but when i was finally able to beat them i felt great like id accomplished something ( sad but true).

games are meant to be challenging if you dont want to be challenged then eaither play it on easy or play more wii games since theyre going to implement an easy buton of some kind. so what if a game is too hard for you that doesnt make it a bad game it just means you arent as good of a gamer as you think but i dont think that would warrant it geting a low score. for you all to whine about that is a shame and you should have your old school gamer cards revoked.

after i beat uncharted 2 ( whenever the hell it gets here ) im going to by demon souls too beause it sounds like aot of fun and im basing that on the forum post on it here in the ps3 section.

I think Shipwreck works as a great buffer zone --in between the stories of feces and occasionally awkward arguments between Cheapy and Wombat.

This is the first time I reply ever since I registered, never had the courage to post before, I know it sounds dumb. This cagcast along shipwreck was good, just like the one from last week. Wombat, did you not say 2 weeks ago or so that you would get your wife to review Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box? Thought I'd see this coming.

Demon Souls sounds pretty harsh, perhaps could it be an attempt at testing gamer's patience in a video game? Most video games always have one or two parts that are hard, but if this game is hard overall, could it produce a wave of "difficult up the ass" video games here and there? Would it make companies think "oh there's this really really hard game people talk about , why don't we try that?" Is there even a possibility of that?

Wombat! at my college I decided to have a can of V8 juice because i thought it'd be yummy and healthy. It was terrible. I wish i had gotten my money back. And you're completely right, after drinking half of the can of V8, I felt like it was a challenge to finish it. My friend saw me do this and simply told me to throw it away. I felt like I had to do the challenge.

Great show as usual (as I've listened for the past year and a half without even posting here). Keep up the good work Cheapy and Wombat. Do I have to say how much of a douchebag shipwreck really is for this contest? No, he was great.

and lokizz, how dare you! it is always fun to listen to the random yammering.

Glad to hear somebody else is a fan of SoA. Actually listened to this episode after watching the latest one.

Great show. Entertaining as always.

This time though there was something that urged me to post here. The thing about Super Street Fighter 4 and Capcom's re-release strategy.

Capcom is doing basically the same thing as all other companies with their Game of the Year -editions. I think that if you really like the game, then you just have to get it right away. Especially if it has a popular multiplayer mode, since you want to have some to play with.

In the case of Street Fighter 4, it would be hard to release the extra stuff as DLC, since they are making a lot of new content and updates. If the rumors are right, there is going to be new stages, 8-10 new characters, updates for the old characters, new online modes, new music, new animated cut-scenes and more. Basically it is... well SUPER Street Fighter 4. Am I upset because it is coming a year after SF4? Not at all. I'm actually happy that this is a 'new' game. Yes it would be nice to get this also as DLC, but if it is really going to include all of the things they say it will, it just isn't possible.

What was the name of the tactics game you guys talked about this cagcast? You said the real name one time which I couldn't quite make out, and then you called it ovaltine the rest of the time.

[quote name='yukine']How is Halo: ODST similar at all to what Capcom is doing with RE5 and SFIV? Isn't it an entirely new game?

And yes, Capcom has put out incremental updates for games in the past... but it's a little different now, since they now have the ability to release game updates via patches or as add-ons via DLC. There is absolutely no reason to put out a retail disc from a consumer standpoint.

I love me some Capcom games, but I'm a bit annoyed since Super SFIV should be a $20.00 DLC download, not another copy of what is essentially the same game I bought less than a year ago.[/QUOTE]

From the reviews I heard about this game and it's content it seem more like expansion, which generally patches the game, rebalanced multiplayer, maps, add a few characters and some minor modes; nothing really big that's consider a sequel or new game. I haven't played the game myself since I'm not a huge Halo fan.

I do agree with you that these game changes should be handle differently. It pretty clear that home console are becoming more like PC since pc parts, home entertainment system, and now they're pushing digital distribution these sorta of changes should come in patches or come as expansion.

bread's done
Back