CAGcast #187: Wombat's Hammer Hands Create a Mass Effect - Live

Unlistenable due to audio quality. A conference call is more bearable than this. Dx

Damn, a bit too choppy (and I'm only like 15 mins in now). I don't remember the last live show being nearly this bad. I blame shipwreck.

As someone who grew up on AM talk radio, I don't think it sounds as awful as some make it out to be. But then again people on forums have never overeacted ever in the history of the internet, so I must be wrong.

Man, I'm really bummed by the audio quality of this show. I realize it's because it's a live show, but honestly, I could barely listen to it. I only stuck on because I made a comment on last week's show I was hoping might get brought up.

It was really hard to listen - and usually the production quality is excellent. Is there any way you can double/triple end the live show too and just put the calls into it from the live feed?

Weird how the quality cleaned up when taking a call. That was odd.

[quote name='Wombat']As someone who grew up on AM talk radio, I don't think it sounds as awful as some make it out to be. But then again people on forums have never overeacted ever in the history of the internet, so I must be wrong.[/QUOTE]

Love the show and all that, but really, this episode sounded like a cellphone conversation where one dude was going through a series of tunnels.

It was fine last time though, so it must be a bandwidth issue somewhere.

Edit: Star Trek Online is decent, but like any MMO, starts feeling like a grind pretty fast.

Pretty good show until you got to me. Now I always love my name being mentioned but I hate when I can't respond back during your statements.

If I were to look at CheapyD's gamerscore versus his trophies like he did to me, his gamerscore would be at least 10x the amount, but I don't label him a 360 fanboy do i? I don't go out of my way for trophies, i've had my ps3 for 2 years and they've naturally accumulated.

I was just pointing out the fact that Shipwreck likes to review so much crap out but when it comes to showcasing great PS3 exclusives, there's always an excuse. I don't care that you review multiplatforms on the 360, just have some more support for the PS3 owners on this site that want to hear your take on the newest exclusives. Why is UC2 automatically unreviewable because it came late for you?

And yeah, the fact that other reviewers don't write they dont finish the game doesn't make it alright for you. You don't have deadlines, you don't need to put it up in a timely manner because 80 other reviews went up before you. People don't come to your reviews to see a first look, but rather to see your opinion. Remember that next time.

I remember 2 years ago, when I said that GFW could be a great system, you called me a Microsoft fanboy. The irony right? Stop with your random labeling and just look at the facts. You've reviewed 1-3 exclusives for the PS3 in the course of a year or two. That's wrong.

Interesting CagCast, the interview was really cool.

Downside... whatever you did for audio on this, please NEVER AGAIN. It was killing my ears.

Regarding the Ship-slam: I really appreciate what Ship brings to the podcast; especially since he's the only one who actually researches and reviews games, you slackers ;)

I consider Ship an integral part of the cast, esp. since his old podcast is dead. In fact, you should bring back. Mrs. Ship as a guest once in a while.

Unlistenable. If you guys are too busy/lazy to do a regular show, then don't do one and wait until the next week. I would rather wait an extra week than miss a show because of poor audio quality. No more live shows please!

Please find a way to get some decent audio quality on these live shows. So many podcasts are able to do it, it can't be that hard. I don't think I'll be able to listen to any more of these live shows if something doesn't change.

Does anyone have anything to say about the show? We get it the live quality wasn't very good. No one cares if you are 5th or 6th person to make the same comment. Your posts about it are unreadable. If you are too lazy to write something constructive maybe you should come back next week with something better to say.

[quote name='Wombat']Does anyone have anything to say about the show? We get it the live quality wasn't very good. No one cares if you are 5th or 6th person to make the same comment. Your posts about it are unreadable. If you are too lazy to write something constructive maybe you should come back next week with something better to say.[/QUOTE]

There should be more female guests that are willing to have sex with wombat. It really builds up his self esteem.

That was the most awkward and best part of the show. I still don't fully understand her side on the whole DLC issue. Sure she doesn't like that people got the DLC for free, but how does she feel about those that can't/won't get all that DLC either through their geographic location or economic status? Pre-order in-game content bonuses are bullshit, especially when they nickel-and-dime a new item out to about 10 different stores.

[quote name='Wombat']Does anyone have anything to say about the show? We get it the live quality wasn't very good. No one cares if you are 5th or 6th person to make the same comment. Your posts about it are unreadable. If you are too lazy to write something constructive maybe you should come back next week with something better to say.[/QUOTE]

i love the live shows but i think Cheapy should forget live callers. just get your questions or comments from the chatroom instead. the live calls are a HUGE waste of time. no offense to my fellow CAGs who've called in but most of your calls are just nonsense.

btw, there were some obnoxious spammers in the chatroom and Cheapy did nothing about them. he muted like 2 guys but ignored the other dummies.

[quote name='Wombat']As someone who grew up on AM talk radio, I don't think it sounds as awful as some make it out to be. But then again people on forums have never overeacted ever in the history of the internet, so I must be wrong.[/QUOTE]

How much did you listen to? It varies between totally fine and really lousy (listen from 5:30 - 6mins).

Mark me down as audio quality complainer #7. But for every person that complains there are 1,000 listeners that thought about it and didn't complain. That's 7,000 people!! Personally I thought it sounded like you were gargling monkey sperm, so 1,000 other people thought that too.

Love the show!

I don't think there's anything wrong with reviewing a game without finishing it. An ending could great, but it wouldn't matter if no one would want to play 15 hours of crap to get to it. Conversely, I've not known reviewers to dock their score significantly because a good game has a crappy ending. (Or in some cases, where a game just sorta stops ... ie Halo 2, GOW2...) On a five point scale that Shipwreck uses, how bad can the ending be that it would justify a 20% score difference?

Speaking of The Shipwreck, I think he needs some representation in your logo when he's on your show. May I suggest:
newcagcast01.jpg

The conversation with Christina Norman was fantastic. I thought it was very well done and informative. Hearing the insight from someone involved with the game was interesting and I thought that Wombat had excellent questions for her (Cheapy also picked out some good ones from chat). Well done with all of that guys, I was listening at work and it really made me want to go home and play more Mass Effect 2.

For live shows I think it is more beneficial to have a guest on like Christina and field topics/questions from a chatroom. No offense to anyone here who called in, but I feel that usually the calls seem to disrupt the flow of the show. Even if there isn't a guest on maybe you guys could consider trying a live show where you only field questions from a chatroom rather than phone calls?

Anyways thanks for a great show guys.

[quote name='Microshock']I remember 2 years ago, when I said that GFW could be a great system, you called me a Microsoft fanboy. The irony right? Stop with your random labeling and just look at the facts. You've reviewed 1-3 exclusives for the PS3 in the course of a year or two. That's wrong.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say it's wrong, but it is kind of odd.

C'mon, now. It's just people venting out their disappointment especially when the last two live CAGcasts didn't have the underwater effect. Was it the inclusion of Shipwreck that screwed with the system?

I almost quit listening after fifteen minutes, but I'm glad I stuck around. The interview was pretty great and found it funny that Christina came in loud and clear. Fun interview, and I just barely started playing the first Mass Effect, so I didn't really have a point of reference regarding the things in the sequel.

I want to know how you and Cheapy view the members of the CAG community. A majority of your calls always seem to be from idiots who can't form a simple sentence or just plug their podcasts/sites (btw, visit Player's Pulse today!). You got members in your blog section posting pictures of their Japanese dolls wearing lingerie and writing about masturbating into condoms because they can't get a chick.

Is there a gas leak in here?

Christina was great! The segment with her was one of the best and most interesting on the CAGcast in a long time. This is the type of stuff I'd love to see more of in the future.

Since Wombat says we can't mention that the sound quality made the show almost unlistenable, I'll post some other comments:

The interview was great! Very interesting.
The calls were pretty awful overall and it seemed that Cheapy was very impatient with the callers. I say ditch the calls. It's a lot better when the two or three of you can pace the show yourselves and pick and choose useful questions to read on the air. Shout-outs and awkward attempts at humor aren't fun to listen to.
Wombat seemed disinterested during the show. He seems to sit back and not say much when Shipwreck is on.

The CAGCast is my favorite podcast on any topic and I appreciate what you guys do.

Well, I'm sorry for doing that shout-out.
She was listening too, and she IM'd me to have me give her a shout-out. I was really nervous.

You guys get great feedback every week. Just chalk this one up as a shitty show and call it a day. Besides the interview there was nothing else good to mention. The live shows don't work.

The live shows gotta go. bad sound quality and the callers brought nothing good to the table, no offense to my fellow CAG's, but it just wasn't up to par with the past few shows.

Great show guys! The interview was good. You guys should do more of them. The sound quality wasn't good but I did hear Wombat typing so it wasn't horrible. Keep up the good work!

[quote name='Microshock']Pretty good show until you got to me. Now I always love my name being mentioned but I hate when I can't respond back during your statements.

If I were to look at CheapyD's gamerscore versus his trophies like he did to me, his gamerscore would be at least 10x the amount, but I don't label him a 360 fanboy do i? I don't go out of my way for trophies, i've had my ps3 for 2 years and they've naturally accumulated.

I was just pointing out the fact that Shipwreck likes to review so much crap out but when it comes to showcasing great PS3 exclusives, there's always an excuse. I don't care that you review multiplatforms on the 360, just have some more support for the PS3 owners on this site that want to hear your take on the newest exclusives. Why is UC2 automatically unreviewable because it came late for you?

And yeah, the fact that other reviewers don't write they dont finish the game doesn't make it alright for you. You don't have deadlines, you don't need to put it up in a timely manner because 80 other reviews went up before you. People don't come to your reviews to see a first look, but rather to see your opinion. Remember that next time.

I remember 2 years ago, when I said that GFW could be a great system, you called me a Microsoft fanboy. The irony right? Stop with your random labeling and just look at the facts. You've reviewed 1-3 exclusives for the PS3 in the course of a year or two. That's wrong.[/QUOTE]

Why are you bitching about how many PS3 exclusives Ship reviews? It shouldn't even matter. The fact that Shipwreck can review that many games is great for the site.
There's vagisil available on amazon for around $18. If you order 2 boxes, you can get super saver shipping. Maybe that will help you out with your problem.

As for the show, the interview was excellent. The audio quality didn't bother me too much, but what did bother me were the lame callers. I agree with what Lik said. Maybe it would be better to pull questions from the chatroom instead of having people call in. There were some good calls, but for every good call there would be 3 bad ones.

Good show guys, good luck with the move Cheapy.

[quote name='Doomtime']Why are you bitching about how many PS3 exclusives Ship reviews? It shouldn't even matter. The fact that Shipwreck can review that many games is great for the site.
There's vagisil available on amazon for around $18. If you order 2 boxes, you can get super saver shipping. Maybe that will help you out with your problem.

As for the show, the interview was excellent. The audio quality didn't bother me too much, but what did bother me were the lame callers. I agree with what Lik said. Maybe it would be better to pull questions from the chatroom instead of having people call in. There were some good calls, but for every good call there would be 3 bad ones.

Good show guys, good luck with the move Cheapy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it helps you out, since obviously the Xbox is your dominant platform. Resorting to 3rd grader jokes doesn't make you funny or cool here, maybe on another forum?

Wanting Ship to review more PS3 exclusives will help the site out too, maybe you should take some of that vagisil you ordered for me if you're bitching about what i want

[quote name='Microshock']Yeah it helps you out, since obviously the Xbox is your dominant platform. Resorting to 3rd grader jokes doesn't make you funny or cool here, maybe on another forum?

Wanting Ship to review more PS3 exclusives will help the site out too, maybe you should take some of that vagisil you ordered for me if you're bitching about what i want[/QUOTE]

There, I updated my profile just for you. Never added my PSN on here. Are you done being butthurt now?

I'm a huge fan of the cagcast and have never missed an episode but this week i could barely make it past 10 minutes. I personally don't find the live shows to bad but if your not going to give them the regular post production then don't bother.

Nice job adding your PSN, no one ever asked you to? I guess asking for Ship to review more of a certain platform's games is..being butthurt.

The internet is great!

Cheapy you should be ashamed of yourself for letting this episode go out in this condition. Isn't CAG all you do for a living? I guarantee the audio problem can be solved with money. Probably if you spent what you spent on weed last time you came to the states on a new dedicated skype server there would never be another problem with the audio on the show. If that doesn't solve the problem do the 2 hours of work required to research what you need and get it solved.

I actually listened to the whole episode because I'm a huge Bioware fan. This was your second best interview ever (best was the guy who used to own a game store) it was a real shame that you couldn't be bothered to troubleshoot the audio problems ahead of time.

An excellent show this week! Thanks a bunch for the interview with Chistina! I would give it a 10, but the audio quality is pretty terrible, so a 9 is in order.

Please let there be a show next week with Boatcrash and Wombat!

[quote name='Microshock']Nice job adding your PSN, no one ever asked you to? I guess asking for Ship to review more of a certain platform's games is..being butthurt.

The internet is great![/QUOTE]
Well you said, "the xbox is your dominant platform." Just showing you that I play both equally and you don't see me or anyone else whining about what's being reviewed by Shipwreck. So there you have it.

[quote name='meager']Speaking of The Shipwreck, I think he needs some representation in your logo when he's on your show. May I suggest:
newcagcast01.jpg
[/QUOTE]

May I suggest:
shitwreck.png

just kidding, shipwrecks a fine addition. bad quality audio today :(

I listen to about 8 video game podcasts and the majority of the talk over the past two weeks has been Mass Effect 2. I guess there really isn't much more to talk about, star trek online, capcom vs whatever, MAG, all meh in my book.

Much of the podcast sounds like it was recorded underwater.

The area codes of the callers are mostly from backwoods states and places, where there is nothing better to do than sit by your computer at weird hours. You got one 516 caller and he was an ass. Seriously, the live show callers should be nixed or screened. I like the banter between you guys, but the lame callers hurt the cause.

The planned callers are generally pretty good, like the guys from the previous show. I haven't listened to the entire current show yet, so I can't comment on the Bioware call.

Need to listen to the last half hour of the show. I got through the first hour at work this morning and then my iPod died. I did hear the interview though, which was very good.

Ship and Wom should definitely do a show for next week though.

I agree with everyone else about the live callers. They are awful. I have yet to hear one caller from ANY live CagCast say or ask something interesting. They bring the entire show down, and even the jokes made towards these callers doesn't make up for their ignorance and inability to construct quality conversation.

If you ask me, the callers were a bigger problem than the poor audio. PLEASE get rid of the live callers.

HOWEVER - I really do enjoy the interviews, and I think the chat question method worked VERY well. I can definitely see a live show working in that way. You guys could pick and choose the quality questions, AND it would eliminate the "shout outs".

Give it a thought CHEAPY!!!!

Hey 'cast,
Great show, well content-wise anyway. I really enjoyed the interview with Christina Norman. Good get, Wombat. I agree that the scanning is the worst part of Mass Effect 2, but I can see Christina's point, as well. When I am scanning I usually put on the 'cast or stern and listen while I chill out and scan for 30 mins or so, then back to yakity yakity shooty shooty bangy bangy.
Anyway thanks guys, keep up the good work

I dont have a problem with shipwreck not finishing a game before he reviews it....atleast he tells you up front about it.....Its not like he's getting paid to do this or anything......

my biggest problem with the live shows are the callers.......there.the.worst.

[quote name='BigBizzee']HOWEVER - I really do enjoy the interviews, and I think the chat question method worked VERY well. I can definitely see a live show working in that way. You guys could pick and choose the quality questions, AND it would eliminate the "shout outs".

Give it a thought CHEAPY!!!![/QUOTE]

Listen to this guy, Cheapy, he's 100% right about dumping live callers.

I have zero interest in Mass Effect 2, but I really enjoyed the interview. It was nice to listen to someone that could form coherent sentences, unlike every single caller.

Not sure I really understand the point of the live shows. Poor audio quality and hillbilly callers just drag the show down. I would recommend more frequent guest interviews during CAGcasts and ditch the live show. The questions from the chat aren't really needed if the CAG community is able to come up with some good questions beforehand.

The fact that show was practically impossible to hear half the time seems like perfectly reasonable criticism to me that needs to be brought up often.

Seeing as how the awful audio quality was far and away the worst aspect of this CAGCAST it just makes sense that a whole lot of people are going to bring it up. Besides the audio and mostly crappy callers it seemed like a decent cagcast but it pales in comparison to a proper cagcast that has good audio quality 100% of the time. Of all the possible complaints that can be thrown at a podcast bad audio quality is just about the most damning one.

I suffered through this weeks CAGCAST despite that glaring audio issue. That's how much I enjoy listening to you guys. But I don't think users are asking too much when all they want is a CAGCAST with decent audio quality.

bread's done
Back