CAGcast #187: Wombat's Hammer Hands Create a Mass Effect - Live

I think they called the special guest.

That is a good point though, you should either screen callers or only give certain people whom you want to speak with the number. The shoutouts and dumbass advertising is embarassing for a podcast of a website of this size.

I just want to say as a person who once called to ask a questition Ive been wondering bout for awhile, the calls that people have done were worse than mine thats it I guess some people are lucky some aint. I also want to say I will never complain about cagcast at all even the 179 episode because these are free and people take time from thier own day to do them and I have no right to say anything that I get what I get its free no complains good show

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']White Knight Chronicles wasn't even revealed until the TGS after the PS3 came out, so it was never supposed to be a launch game. Level 5 kind of went super quiet about the game until maybe a year before it came out, which was Christmas 2008.[/QUOTE]

While never intended to be a launch game, White Knight Chronicles was definitely announced prior to the PS3 being released. It was known as White Knight Story back in 2006 and I certainly remember it as being one of the games PlayStation 3 enthusiasts were looking forward to.

[quote name='Darknyss']
- I thought it was kind of rude for Cheapy to leave Christina on hold for so long. I realize you were just getting the show started but you took a caller before her FFS. If it was JimmyMac or Ron Workman I'm sure he would have interrupted whatever was going on immediately.
[/QUOTE]Or maybe I picked up her call on the agreed upon time for her interview.

And yes, unlike the show itself, I hear your audio & caller complaints loud and clear.

[quote name='shipwreck']While never intended to be a launch game, White Knight Chronicles was definitely announced prior to the PS3 being released. It was known as White Knight Story back in 2006 and I certainly remember it as being one of the games PlayStation 3 enthusiasts were looking forward to.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I mixed up which TGS it was at, but it was still nowhere close to being a launch title.

[quote name='kaw']Wow, the end of that interview made me cringe. That was just an embarrassment for everyone involved. [/QUOTE]

No kidding. C'mon Cheapy you aren't Howard Stern and the guest isn't some bimbo. (and the CAGcast isn't a 13yr-olds slumber party). I half expect you to drop a 'Truth or Dare' on her next.

[quote name='kaw']Wow, the end of that interview made me cringe. That was just an embarrassment for everyone involved.[/QUOTE]
I certainly do not know Christina well, but my impressions of her from hanging out with her at E3, combined with her love of the CAGcast led me to believe she would not be offended by that question. In fact, I believed she would think it was funny.

Of course, I could be wrong.

The best part about Christina's answer was that she decided to sleep with the only one of us that she hasn't met. Ship and I must have made quite an impression on her.

Please, no more live shows. The audio quality is so I bad that after a while I give up listening. I normally really look forward to the show.

The show really fell apart towards the end. This the first live show I've downloaded from iTunes, and will probably be the last. The audio quality (I know, I know - it's already been acknowledged as being poor) was just unbearable, and some of the callers were just bringing down the episode.

good lord man, my ears are bleeding after listening to over an hour of Cheapy, Ship & Wombat doing their best Mr. Roboto impressions. I like the live format of these shows, so hopefully the audio quality will catch up at some point.

Though it's extremely infrequent, I like when the CAGCast has guests on the show. Try to wrangle some more on in future episodes (get it, moron... haha)

I know its like beating a dead horse but the quality in this is worse than calling someone in a tunnel. Its as if half the sound is missing in every word. Iv never really been a fan of the live shows that much but this one sealed my opinion on that. I dont like the live shows because most of the time the conversation goes like this
Cheapyd: Hi hello who is this?

Caller: Im .... and could you give a shout out to my mom and dad and uncle and dog and cat and friend that i met in high school and my friends dog and his cat and my dying grandma and my grand father and one for each of my children....

I know im exaggerating but for constructive criticisms i think there should be a rule of no plugging yourself or your own websites. Im sure there is another website you can use that will have better quality.

I love this podcast and have been listening since episode one, never missing an episode in between. But I can't listen to this one. The audio quality is so bad and choppy at some points, I couldn't take it. I like the live show idea, but maybe you guys just shouldn't do it if the quality isn't there.

ok so the audio wasnt great but when its a live show what can you do?
So many podcast's sound like that every episode so i think im used to it,i thought the interview was great.good luck with the move

[quote name='CheapyD']I certainly do not know Christina well, but my impressions of her from hanging out with her at E3, combined with her love of the CAGcast led me to believe she would not be offended by that question. In fact, I believed she would think it was funny.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that the question was out of line. I certainly can't read Christina's mind, but I'm pretty sure she thought it was funny. Her answer was great though. However, maybe you should have prepped her for it beforehand.

[quote name='Fjordson']:lol: Thomas was awesome.[/QUOTE]

off topic..but i noticed you're using "fjordson" the brian jonestown massacre is the best thing out there right now. props

After going back and forth in my head a few times, i've finally decided i don't like the live shows, they're allright if you actually listen to them live, partly because of the audio and partly because of the atmosphere while listening live.

But when you listen to it after the fact, all you get is seriously shitty quality(especially this week) and the content is never really as good as a recorded show.

Decent show guys, decent show.

ps. wombat is god, no not good, god.

whooboy! I listened to this twice and I gotta say....easily the worst, yet actually the funniest one in a long time!

It was TERRIBLE because almost every caller was god awful, and you guys seemed to have no control over the show. Yet it was funny, because it was so bad. Near the end of the show when the bad calls kept coming on in I found myself laughing out loud at the sheer awfulness of it.

But I have to say that the Interview went smoothly enough, so at least this show wasn't a total loss. I'd say stick with the recorded shows from now on, or get multiple guests per live show.

oh and p.s., Wombats hammer hands made me laugh too, cause you guys just shut him down, and the "fuck YOU WOMBAT!" guy was also pretty good.

The callers are terrible. And need I say the quality was incredibly bad?

On a previous live show you had some friends and industry types call in (Jimmie Mac? And others), and they are clearly better prepared to shoot the Shaq with you guys and make it interesting.

I suggest you try to line up guests like that for the live show. Regulars, for 5-10 minutes of quality chatting.

The Trinamic of Ship-Womb-CheD is really getting good.

The interview with Christina (Kr?) was excellent, but mostly because she's an excellent guest. Still, you guys had good questions and kept it moving. The K/M/F game made me uncomfortable for some reason. She took it well, a credit to her definitely.

Have you guys played any games more than a year old lately? If so, which ones and why?

We need a forum badge for all of those that managed to listen through all of this (i wouldn't get this badge).

Still though, hope there's a Wombat and Shipwreck episode next week :)

It wasn't easy, but I potentially earned one of those badges! These shows are like triple-fudge-chocolate-covered brownies; they are great in theory, but too many of them and BOOM, diabetes...

I mean, I thought the whole idea of these shows were to please fans of the show?? After reading these comments, it doesn't seem to have the effect that Cheapy thinks it does.

[quote name='monkeychunkuk']ok so the audio wasnt great but when its a live show what can you do?
So many podcast's sound like that every episode so i think im used to it,i thought the interview was great.good luck with the move[/QUOTE]

The content of the show was good, but the sound quality was embarrassingly bad. I wouldn't have uploaded a show that poor in quality. That's like something you'd hear from an inexperienced podcaster or like trying to pick up a New York AM radio station in California. I would have edited out the interview and pasted to a non-live show and explained the reasoning.

Finally finishing listening to this episode, had to do it in bits in pieces due to how the audio was probably as laggy/choppy as your experience with MAG CheapyD. Personally, didn't get that much lag when I was playing the game but when it did hit you did notice it but was good overall.

I can only echo what others are saying about the audio quality of the live shows. Its so bad that I can't make it through an entire episode and this is coming from someone who has listened to every show since the first. Cheapy, Wombat & Shipwreck with maybe some recorded listener questions and the occoasional interview might be the right mix.

While the audio quality was really bad (worse than the other live shows for some reason), the callers got to me more than anything. I feel bad for Cheapy, Wombat and Boatcrash, because they are using the live shows as a way to reach out to the community and make the community feel more involved, but the callers really take advantage of them. Do CAG's really just like hearing themselves on the podcast that much that they call without anything to say, no question, nothing? Yep. Are CAG's really that inconsiderate to just call for shoutouts? Yep.

On Shipwrecks review: This guy complains that Shipwreck did not finish ME2. Then, he proceeds to complain to Shipwreck for not reviewing Demon Souls, a game that Shipwreck could not even start, much less even finish. Does anybody find something fishy about this sequence of events?

Last edited by a moderator:
The sound quality was certainly painful, but Christina sounded clear, and I enjoyed getting some industry insights from her comments.

As for the bad callers, cmon, this is not a big radio show where they can screen callers. Just ignore the douche bags.

Good show guys can't wait to get me2 I was wonderIng though where. Can I ask questions for the show ? I gotta good general gaming question

I think the idea of live internet podcasts are idiotic. The whole point of podcasts is to listen to them at one's convenience. It's so last-century to have to be somewhere for appointment entertainment. I TIVO my television, get movies on demand, and listen to the music of my choosing when I choose it. Why the hell should I have to set my watch to catch any podcast at the time they're recording it? No reason at all.

And you guys aren't freaking Phil Donahue - so, stop taking live calls. Reading Cagbag questions isn't good enough? How about leaving voice messages to be played during a show. That would eliminate any snafu's during 'broadcasting'. Live callers, in general, don't have the talent to be spontaneously witty. Of course, neither does Wombat, but at least he's entertaining.

I'm not a fan of the live podcasts. The quality just isn't good enough and the calls are painful to listen to. I don't want to listen to people giving shout outs and plugging their site. And most people ramble on too much. I agree with the idea of doing voice messages instead of live callers, like Joystiq and other podcasts do. The idea of a live show is good but it just doesn't work very well.

What is swag? I hope it is not a spam opportunity that fills my email and sms messages to the brim. Does someone really earn money from this let me know I need it.

bread's done
Back