CAGcast #188: When Vaginas & Demons Attack!

Good show, guys. Thanks for discussing my tweet. I guess I just I don't translate well to a phone call.

It'll be interesting to see what this "DS2" is. I personally think it needs at least 4GB flash (doesn't PSP Go have 16?), but I would be surprised if it has more than 1.

Shipwreck rules. The other guys are alright, too. :)

Good show. The sound wasn't as bad as I was anticipating after Cheapy's intro. :) Much better than the live show last week.
My only comment regarding the show itself: Wombat is smoking crack if he doesn't think Splinter Cell: Conviction will sell well.
Also, another site for finding cheap apps: AppShopper.com. You can create a wishlist and they'll email you when an app/game you want gets a price drop. You can also get RSS feeds for price drops or new stuff.

Can't wait to listen. First off, did Cheapy film 22 Japanese guys moving their stuff like little elves? Did they look at you funny, like you should be carrying pianos because of your size?

Wish List:
Game Getter
Price Tracker
Price Watcher
Cheap List
Cheapest List
(pretty obvious suggestions)

That is such a great functionality, if you can expand it outside of video games, you could expand your audience. I'm sure you could create a website not called Cheapassgamer, but as an affiliate of CAG, that tracked DVD,BR,Books, etc at the main websites. I use the wishlist constantly. As much or more than the forums.

hey, love the show.
I heard you guys talk about the Dante's Inferno ads. i thought you might get a kick out of this. I was watching a show called taboo on national geographic last night (the show deals with various "abnormal social behavior" that some would consider taboo). the topic of this episode was death and the ceremony surrounding it. At the very first commercial break a banner appears saying " the show is brought to you by Dante's Inferno, time to go to hell" followed by the now famous super bowl add.
eerie no???
keep pumping out these great shows. thx.

Hey yall do a great and funny podcast. Just wondering if Wombat was eating some pop rocks through out the show, nah just kidding. Keep the good work

Oh Wombat's audio quality was off? I thought he was just typing the whole damn episode.

regardless,
great show guys

[quote name='shieryda']It just sounds like Wombat is fapping it in the background.[/QUOTE]

Damn, you beat me to it.

Good to have the show back. Helped get me through a rough Thursday at work. Time to add games to my wish list for the contest.

[quote name='ZombieJeebus']Games rip off other games all the time. God of War borrowed a LOT from Devil May Cry, everyone is fine with that. Where was it written that God of War is some sacred cow that can't be copied from? [/QUOTE]

If a game rips off another game, it has to do things as well as the original, if not better. If that is accomplished, everyone is pretty much cool with it. However, if a game rips off another game, but doesn't do it as well & doesn't add anything new, then it's just a derivative clone. I've only played the demo of Dante, but it seems to fall perfectly in the category of "derivative clone."

[quote name='bickle']If a game rips off another game, it has to do things as well as the original, if not better. If that is accomplished, everyone is pretty much cool with it. However, if a game rips off another game, but doesn't do it as well & doesn't add anything new, then it's just a derivative clone. I've only played the demo of Dante, but it seems to fall perfectly in the category of "derivative clone."[/QUOTE]
In addition to this, as Tycho of Penny Arcade suggested: how the game is received seems to affect if the game is categorized as a "derivative" or an "homage".

Wombat did sound like there was fapping going on in the background. The sound quality wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting, though. Good show! Loved hearing about Dante's Inferno and the vagtastic voyage into Hell you have.

The story about Tai being scared by the guy dressed up like an Oni was so funny/sad. Those things are freaky.

hannya_mask.gif

Cheapy I feel liberated! about 5 years ago after a long night of bowling and slamming beers then grabbing Jack in the Box Tacos on the way home.. I woke up a few hours later and got ready for work.

I proceeded to crawl in the shower where I started washing up and let out a massive fart. It was a total wet beer/taco diarrhea blast all over the place. Well of course I was dismayed and i washed down the drain no problem.

Being pretty hungover (or still drunk?) like any good soldier I went to work and told everyone I "Shit in the shower". I have been ridiculed and laughed at for this everyday for the past 5+ years. Everyone assured me NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND HAS EVER DONE THIS.

I am so happy that I am not the only one ever to do this or at least be able to be a man and admit it.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!

P.S.Great show! the audio quality was actually really good I thought.

I once took a shredder at a girlfriends house it smelled so bad (I had jones soda, some bk and pork grinds) I went to use her bathroom while her and her family were getting dinner ready I just let out one of the biggest fart/brown avalanches I have ever done in my life and they didnt have any anti-order, or loud noise device so that they cant hear it but they did and when I got to the table her mother said (in spanish) " Im sure your hungry after blessing our bathroom with your presence" She and her sister just luaghed she was ok with it and I just luaghed and enjoy spanish dinner I just embarrassed myself infront of 3 females XD
by the way I want to win critter crunch or an army of two tee shirt

Eyes and teeth are definitely places where you can hide uncanny valley. Give people glasses or helmets and make them not smile often and you're in good shape these days.

I think the complex textures and how they reflect light are what makes the mouth so hard.

Great show. Thanks for the apology on the sound Cheapy but it really wasn't necessary on this episode. I thought this one sounded fine compared to the ear rape I received last week.
On the DS, isn't it time we go back to the one screen? how many good games actually use both effectively? Usually one screen can be easily converted to a pause screen, they are usually just menus or maps. They could probably even do away with a couple of buttons. Make the whole thing smaller and less blocky.

[quote name='GamerChris']Audio was terrible for me. I usually listen while I'm at work and can hear the clicking sounds when everyone speaks, not just wombat. I couldn't take it, so had to skip this podcast as well.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, must be my headphones. I've noticed the clicking in other podcasts too. Sorry, going back to listen now.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']I think what the Sony PR guy was trying to say is that in spite of our smaller install base we have a higher attach rate for most genres. i.e. your sales might be better than you'd expect on PS3. Of course he said it as obscurely and complicatedly as possible to mask the fact that at the end of the day they sell less copies. This is only useful to publishers if they assume Sony will catch up to Microsoft in the future.[/QUOTE]Except even that's not true. Every company puts their own spin when NPDs come out. The one thing Xbox likes to brag about is that the attach rate for games per console is way more. (And let's skip the 1 year head start argument because after all this time it's not a factor any more.)

This is not saying the 360 is better then any other. Just the fact that more games are bought per system. It makes sense when you think about it. A large percentage of Wii owners buy the system just for Wii sports and that's it. (Retirement homes, the soccer moms, etc.) A percentage of the PS3 audience bought the system just as a Blu-ray player because even after all this time its still one of the best on the market. The only reason people buy the 360 is to play games. Cause I don't see anyone getting it for the Facebook app.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ship,
I hate to be the one that tells you this, but it wasn't the movers who stole your Transformers, it was your parents tossing that stuff before/during the move. "The movers stole it" is the oldest parents getting rid of junk (in their opinion) trick in the book. One pulled off with great fanfare in culling my daughter's beannie baby collection a few years back. Press, I mean really press, the parents on this and they will probably chuckle and tell you that you caught them.

Or the movers really did steal them, what the hell do I know?

Wombats audio was nothing compared to the live show...good show.

Thanks for the godaddy coupons saved me 10 bucks on my renewals!

yeah i agree, the audio was no where near as bad as the live abortion. i actually like the live shows except for the calls. the CAG marketplace is really cool to im actually checking it out more often now.

Interesting. I've had 2 questions answered on the CAGcast in a row. Obviously the show is getting much better with every question of mine you answer. Would have liked more Mass Effect 2 spoiler discussion, though.

Very surprised that Shipwreck and Wombat sexed the chick in the evo-suit. No chance of boobies with her!

CheapyD don't be such a pussy. Any real man would have refused to spend $1000 on cabinents you don't want. Even if the wife insists on throwing the $1000 away.

[quote name='Mahoney07']CheapyD don't be such a pussy. Any real man would have refused to spend $1000 on cabinents you don't want. Even if the wife insists on throwing the $1000 away.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

[quote name='Mahoney07']CheapyD don't be such a pussy. Any real man would have refused to spend $1000 on cabinents you don't want. Even if the wife insists on throwing the $1000 away.[/QUOTE]

You know those foreign neighbors who never really assimilate into American culture, and they just do all sorts of wacky things and faux pas? You know, every neighborhood has one, unless it's just REALLY white-bread where you live. That would be you in Japan.

Actually, what am I saying? You'd never establish residency in Japan because you'd refuse to pay the "gift" of cash (NOT deposit, you don't get it back) that you're expected to give the landlord for the privilege of allowing you to rent an apartment.

Shit's different there.

Wow, you must have had a terrible hot dog experience dude. "ARGG!!! It's so hot and crowded in here! Let me shlep on down to Patsy's and give them an arm, a leg, and some toenails for a little personal pie! You don't serve by the slice you say? That's fine, I'll shell out 15 bucks anyway for a tiny 12 inch pie that could never adequately provide sustenance for my freakishly large, gargantuan body! Honey, can you cover the bill this time?"

Cheap Ass Gamer? My ass, flamer. I think your name should change from CheapyD to PriceyP for Pricey Pizza. Or maybe HeapyC for hypocrite. Eh, that last one kinda sucked, but I'm just thinking/typing out loud.

Lol hey man I'm just kidding around. My buddy and I listen to your podcasts at work and we thought we'd check out Patsy's after our shift just for fun. He's a very diligent gamer and he showed me your CAGcasts one day, so we've been listening pretty much every day. I'm not even a gamer. The last game I played all the way through was Ocarina of Time for the N64 (about 40 times actually). But I love listening to you, Wombat, and BargeDestruction because you guys are hilarious and get me interested in something I know jack about.

Thank you all very much.

- Jay Are

Its nice to have them back doing the cagcast. It was a long last week without being able to listen to them. Great show! What happen to the Wombat and shipwreck doing their own show last week?

Wombat's audio was kinda meh for a while in the beginning (or maybe I just started ignoring it as I browsed the site with the cast playing in the back?)

Cheapy needs to post pics of that counter or cabin thing (the ugly one and the one he eventually paid 2k to switch for)

mention of the shipwreck mansion reminds me that I haven't seen any pics of a collection or anything. maybe even start some blogs showing some games or even more technical ones like spreadsheets for rpgs.

[quote name='Vegan']You know those foreign neighbors who never really assimilate into American culture, and they just do all sorts of wacky things and faux pas? You know, every neighborhood has one, unless it's just REALLY white-bread where you live. That would be you in Japan.

Actually, what am I saying? You'd never establish residency in Japan because you'd refuse to pay the "gift" of cash (NOT deposit, you don't get it back) that you're expected to give the landlord for the privilege of allowing you to rent an apartment.

Shit's different there.[/QUOTE]

$1000 is $1000 no matter where you live.

I like what Joystiq's Justin McElroy said about Heavy Rain on his twitter:
"Heavy Rain is a beautiful dancer whose performance you could lose yourself in if she'd only stop farting."
I haven't played it, and I will get it eventually.
But going out of immersion in a game like that sorta ruins the point.

cheapy you missed the point about the voice acting. It was bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd (man say that 5 times fast jk). I have an idea ask Wombat to play the demo if he thinks the audio is bad I think you should buy me a copy of the game (now there is a contest). What's in it for you? If Wombat agrees with you you will find out. Wombat's audio = mediocre but, 2 weeks ago's show is terrible I mean unlistenmable. That was the frist show I missed in about 2 years.

hello-kitty-halo.jpg

Halo Kitty

Its been a while since I have listened to the CAGcast, Wombat still crapping the show up. I like the addition of Boat Crash to the show.
Keep up the good work people.

Why is Cheapy criticizing MAG for map packs he assumes are coming? Zipper has more of a need to fix the SVER maps right now.

The DS successor needs to be able to connect to normal internet connections with normal password-protected security on it. Every other online-connected device I have works fine with my router, but the DS can't do anything, making it the worst online system of this generation. Nintendo definitely needs to react to the iPhone with all of that money that they're losing on their games and systems.

Decent show.

Oh, and another thing dude. You stirred the soda with the cucumber. Why were you so shocked when it fizzed? You could stir a carbonated drink with anything and it will fizz. I'm sure that if you stirred the blue crap with pineapple or lemon or whatever it would have fizzed too. C'mon man, think outside the box.

It's great to learn...
'Cause knowledge is power!

You are one small step closer to enlightenment.
You're welcome.

[quote name='shieryda']
The audio quality of this show is not so bad. It just sounds like Wombat is fapping it in the background.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like Wombat is furiously going at it. You've gotta admire his stamina, but take it easy guy, you're gonna get a blister.

Got to love the toilet stories.

Poo on the floor... yeah I've been there.

EDIT: I'm going to have to disagree with Wombat on the depth and quality of iPhone games being poor. For the dollar, I've gotten much more value out of some iPhone games than many full retail release games. Just for example:

Alive 4-ever ($2.99) - Dual stick shooter with 30 levels and three gameplay modes
The Creeps ($0.99) - Tower defense with dozens of levels and multiple gameplay modes
Fieldrunners ($2.99) - Beautifully polished tower defense game
Glyder ($1.99) - Pilotwings inspired collection game
Need for Speed Underground ($2.99) - Arcade racer with some 30 levels
Peggle ($4.99) - It's Peggle
Soosiz ($2.99) - 2D platformer with tight controls, around 80 levels and Super Mario Galaxy inspired gravity manipulation
Sword & Poker ($1.99) - Dungeon crawling, poker playing RPG with excellent execution lasting 20+ hours

So that's $19 for a whole lot of games with a huge variety. I could easily replace any console experience with this handful of games (not to mention the thousands of others available on the iPhone) if necessary - not that I would want to.

bread's done
Back