CAGcast #191: Motion Fighters

Great show I wish I could tell everybody else on Zune by rating the show,by everybody else I mean the other six idiots who bought a Zune.

Although cheapy remained mostly silent I thank you wombat for answering my question most succinctly. For others out there interested in that unusual creature known as the Jew may I refer you to exhibit a) Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I have come in to say that Wombat is awesome and if he wasn't on the show i probably wouldn't listen.
He is very grounded, and more often than not i share his same opinion. The show would be boring as hell if Wombat was too afraid to play devils advocate.

Haters gonna hate. Go sit on your sub controller.

Cheapy, and Boatcrash, you're okay too. ;) Actually if for nothing else Cheapy is awesome because he likes Diplo :)

Can we have Mrs Shipwreck on a show sometime. Even if it's just for a brief segment.

Don't know if its just me but maybe when you do your intros on whats going on with your lives, don't skip shipwreck. Was Very amusing that no one asked whats going on with Shipwreck's life. Maybe his life is just not interesting? Also now that all three of you are confirmed for E3 can we expect some kind of coverage since last year i believe Wombat said if he went, that he would do all the work. P.S don't worry my exceptions are very low

Discussion of the BM was awesome. I especially love the contest idea for it, but I think I will pass on entering it personally.

Great show as always, my favorite podcast for the past few years or so now. I really feel that Shipwreck was a great addition, just to add to the already great show!

Great show, God of War sounds awesome! I am really looking forward to the Bioshock 2 roundtable. Roundtable discussions would be a great segment to add to the regular shows.

Good show and thanks for now doing the live shows as much. The audio is tops and Cheapy I know the editing and such is a pain, but the work shows!

Good show. Works well for my drive home from work. Also, really like the addition of Shipwreck to the shows now (always good to have a live fact checker :) )

Loved the show guys. Especially liked the discussion of the PSBM. As for improvement, I do think group discussions on specific games would be great. You may not need to devote a special section like with ME2 - 10 minutes on a game would still be a lot of fun to hear.

For some reason:
Wombat cursing: good.
Wombat Vaudeville: bad.

I'm enjoying the shows more than ever. Really, this show was a triumph of technology, genius, blubber, and cheapthink. And unfortunately cheapthink.com is already taken according to godaddy.com (use coupon code CAG10OFFICANTBELIEVEIREGISTEREDTHATDOMAINNAME).

A question for Cheapy and Wombat:

Do you ever feel like you are corrupting Shipwreck? He's seems like such a fine fellow, and he goes long with your masturbatory humor quite obligingly. But sometimes it seems like you are pushing him into an arena of rude jokes that he wouldn't otherwise enter.

And Shipwreck, do you ever feel like Cheapy and Wombat are lessening your chances for salvation?

How about the nerdy gamer story of the week as a new section? Like Ship's Dead or Alive bit (Awesome), you could officially regale us with tales of nerdiness past. We all have them, really. I said nerdiness (video games), not dorkiness (GI joe dolls and comic books). I like to hear about stuff like Cheapy's Starflight experience.

Did you guys ever go online pre-web? Did you ever troll BBSes or use ancient online services like Prodigy or Compuserve? Or play Sega Channel or similar?

Pertaining to the Wii and motion recognition controls. First off Cheapy and Wombat, wait until your kids play video games. I almost never play the Wii, but my kids are very into it. Second, I'm not expecting these new technologies to work or be well supported. However, I am supportive of the possibility of increasing my activity while playing without decreasing my enjoyment. I don't want to tire out my arms if I am playing a game for two hours. But if I can be a little more active, burn a few more calories, and it doesn't detract from the game, it's a win/win. I don't believe this generation will get that right, but I'm looking forward to more games being a more physical experience. If it can be pulled off in a way this is fun, isn't gimmicky, and isn't exhausting.

On that note, I recommend that anyone trying to lose a little weight consider playing Rock Band drums for 30 minutes a day. It's fun, and as you get to the hard and expert songs, it could even be called 'exercise'.

I hate comic book discussions. I'll just throw that in there as the negative comment, but I hate comic book discussions. I hate them almost as much as sports discussions. There were none on this episode and it was bliss.

Comic book discussion hater,

ianoid

Last edited by a moderator:
On my way to Atlanta with my middle school band kids for a spring trip to the coke factory, CNN, a hockey game, and six flags. Your podcast is making the trip bearable. Thanks for such a great show.

I have to agree with you guys when it comes to the motion crap in gaming. I have to admit at first I was a little intrigued by the Natal (sh*tbox) but now that uses a bunch of system resources I have lost interest.

Just let the Wii do its thing and focus on just making good games for the traditional controller. I fear this holiday is going to be very casual friendly.

OMG, the BM discussion had me crying. The new game, "Colon Exploration" you suggested Cheapy was priceless. Sub controllers for everyone.

I know your not a news site so maybe you don't want to have a news section but it would be interesting to have a more up to date impression from you guys as things happen rather than wait for the show. Also why don't you update the feed more often or have another one for hottest deals. I'd rather just look at the feed.

@cheapy why not just use wireless speakers and here's at least one other jew in NY that fired a shotgun

Great show as always, I agree about battlefield bad company 2 its a good game and doesn't take itself as serious as MW2.

SHIPWRECK IS RIGHT!
I agree with shipwreck statement about the coming month of May. I can't believe either on how many AAA games we are getting in May, I won't have the time to play them all at the same time. I'm really hoping that having all those games won't affect the level of enjoyment people can get from every single of them.
The unfortunate part of this month is that I'm sure not all of the producers and publishers of these games will achieve their expectations, I really hope this doesn't affect the industry in a considerable way.

Great show guys, I like this episode a lot.
I'm looking forward to Cheapy and Shipwreck's impressions in the incredible fun BFBC2 multiplayer and Cheapy and Wombat's thoughts on Bioshock 2.

Have a great weekend guys.

You guys do a great job with the podcast, I look forward to it each week and it's the only podcast I listen too. I love to hear Wombat's insights on the gaming industry even if his opinions sometimes, though not often, are opposite of my own.

Very nice show as always. I've been listening for a while and am glad that Shipwreck has become a staple of each show, he helps keep things on track when things get off-task as they often did with just the duo ones, not that I think either are bad, just happy to see he's on it more now.

2 comments about things related to this episode:

Glad you guys talked about OnLive and didn't stay on it too long. I can't look at this "console" as anything but an eventual failure. The concept is good enough that there is a market for this, but anyone who would be able to utilize this and really appreciate it probably already owns a major console or already is a PC gamer and has no interest in not only adding a new item to the living room but the 15 bucks a month. That equals to 180 a year just for the console alone, and unless games are like 5 bucks then no one can really afford this thing. But that brings me to my next point which is the games. Every successful console has thrived because of one thing and one thing alone: good games. A peripheral or unique device helps (the Wii made motion controllers hip, but it did have Mario and Zelda to rely on to get it out there), but I haven't seen anything about what OnLive is going to offer that is unique to its service. Where are the exclusives? What is there to get on this that I can't get elsewhere? I'm sure there are Sony fanboys out there who can find this as a nice way to play Mass Effect 2 but that isn't enough of a core market to really make this thing a 4th contender in the console wars.

My only other criticism of the show, and ones in the past, is I get a little irritated when Cheapy D just says "Pass" on some of the DLC roundup. I can understand that he doesn't care about Mega Man 10 or KrissX or whatever game has come out, but it would be better to get some kind of talk about something than just a pass even if I already liked the product or not because I might like it/dislike after I hear more about it. Also if Shipwreck has taken the time to play it at least he can give his little 30-second review on the podcast for some of the stuff that he doesn't write a review of, so it'd be good to see his time well-spent.

Otherwise very fun show as always, things seemed to be timed just right with this one, not too long on personal life or video game news (I like both, they just can go too long sometimes).

Not sure if this has been posted yet in the multiple pages of comments but there are home theater systems with wireless speaker layouts. That should eliminate the interference. Depending on the budget, that might make more sense than trying out the twisted-pair cables as I'm not sure of their effectiveness (especially if you're picking up transmissions over headphones). Good luck, Cheapy!

Holy crap, there are a lot of updates on the Move over at Kotaku. Motion sensitive gaming just needs to go away. Developers need to spend more resources on making better games, not "more innovative" games.

Great show, guys.

Can we have Mrs Shipwreck on a show sometime. Even if it's just for a brief segment.

I think that the CAGcast wives should all do a show together sometime.

I just had to comment on the whole Playstation Move thing here. If you're going to bash something, get the details RIGHT.

The thing doesn't use AA batteries, it's rechargable, just like the Dualshock 3 and Sixaxis. You don't need the subcontroller. While this isn't confirmed, RE5 was played with the left half of a Dualshock 3 and the Move controller.

It has a full motion sensor inside of it, the ball is there for the camera to detect it.

Yeah, I'm not excited about the stuff like Move Party but hey, it's what casual gamers want obviously and Sony will make it for them. It doesn't affect games you actually want, so whats the harm?

Natal could be good too but Move actually has more of a potential to be what you wanted the Wii to be.

The technology is there, and the graphics/power from the PS3 to back it up. Everyone has been begging for a Wii HD, HERE IT IS.

Also, Move is a much better name than Arc. What the fuck will an average gamer think when they hear Arc? " Uh, isn't that a shape?"
At least Move says what the hell the thing does, and it's catchy and easily memorable. Arc is a dumb name when you're trying to open up the market to everyone.

Let me clarify, I am not interested in this too much because after the Wii, motion gaming has really bummed me out, but who knows? Real games actually work with this thing. Socom 4 works with it and so will RE5.

Nice show. I love when you guys talk more about your personal lives.

Great episode. The Sony BM discussion was one of the funniest things I've heard in a while. Keep speaking the truth about the motion fad and get these people back on to some real gaming news.

I thought this was an interesting article on ign.com, and after hearing Cheapy and crew question why gaming sites don't provide more insight into what they actually think, I thought I would be appropriate to post. The commentary seems to go along with the CAGcast’s
impression of the new motion control devices and it is refreshing to get some inside commentary from a main streem game news site.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/107/1076978p1.html

The dude that wrote in bashing Wombat was completely invalidated within minutes of the reading. Wombat's Gamestop employee nerd voice "I cried at the end of (Final Fantasy) 7, did you?" had me bustin' a gut. That was awesome.

Also, I experienced the same thing from Amazon, exactly once...they removed the item that was a pricing error on their part without telling us, added shipping, etc. Great customer service. What place doesn't honor a pricing mistake when it's their fault that they marked it? sheesh :)

I believe that most developers are going to have to make some type of motion feature on their game. Like......shooting free-throws with the respected motion control on any NBA game. Or they can do what Socom 4 is doing with targeting system. Hopefully, it doesn't wreck the entire game play system though.

Sorry to hear about your T-1000 model bath tub, Cheapy. As usual, everyday life in Japan is firmly set in the near future. Good show today, guys. Don't listen to the haters, Wombat, your jokes are groan-y in the best possible way. Boat Crash...keep up the good work.

You want constructive advice? Talk more about Shipwreck's DOA Volleyball chronicles. That was seriously the funniest thing I've heard all year!

Good show guys. Wombat, you're great, but please stop ranting about Cheapy's cabinets. I mean who cares if he got taken for $1,000, the guy probably makes that in an hour with this website :lol:

This is one of my favorite podcasts; glad shipwreck has been on lately, he adds to the hilarity of the podcast. Keep up the good work!

I agree with wombat that the just cause 2 demo is awesome, especially when you use the timer glitch that lets you keep playing after the timer hits zero!

Was bored at work...

74112693.jpg
74117293.jpg
74120409.jpg
(I couldn't find a good picture of Jacob.. so... well...)

CAGCast Mass Effect 2 Crew:

Shipwreck - http://twitpic.com/184l9p

Wombat - http://twitpic.com/184hpx

CheapyD - http://twitpic.com/184no9

[quote name='shieryda']

I think that the CAGcast wives should all do a show together sometime.[/QUOTE]

The better halves were on a CAGcast some time ago and believe it or not it made a boring cast. Maybe it is because I'm a married man and I get plenty of wife talk and not enough video game guy talk.

Good show. I don't agree with all the Wombat hate, he is just a part of the show as Cheapy D is. I hope Shipwreck continues to be part of the show as well.

Keep it up.

Liked the show and look forward to seeing Wombat's panel at PAX East. Unfortunately, it looks to be only a matter of time before I hate Wombat, as well. Maybe he will do something really mean at PAX East and then I'll hate him.

wombat cant quit.

I know that you guys are only joking about that part but i think wombats feelings were a bit hurt.

but as always the show was great! started o laugh on the train when you were making jokes about the sub-controller ^^ :booty:

Started listening to the podcast just a couple weeks ago and I am enjoying it a lot. Its funny and it seems to cover every significant game and story in the industry. Great job guys.

Love the podcast guys!

I am getting kinda irritated at how it seems to be the "cool thing" to bash Wombat on every comment. I appreciate his down to earth look at most things. I dont actually find him bitter or angry, just discerning. I find that the majority of the time I actually agree with what he says. The Ubisoft DRM issue I think he was right on the money.

I think boatcrash is a GREAT addition to the Cagcast but we cant have a no wombat show. I know he acts like the crap rolls off his back but if its getting old for me to hear it I would imagine its getting old for him. Or at least lets balance it out with some positive.

On another note, cheapy I know you joke about the site and the podcast and that you are getting old and such but just know that the podcast is an Oasis to some of us out there and is more than just a video game show, its a break from reality. And sometime reality can suck.

Thanks Guys!

Westy

bread's done
Back