CAGcast #209: Calling All Farts!

Hearing Shipwreck say that the new cole was unique makes me cringe considering he looked like Nathan Drakes douchey cousin but whatever great cagcast also I never played mass effect because my computer sucks im looking forward to playing ME2 when it comes out

I just want to say that the intro music has set my expectations for this show extremely high.

And to touch on Scott Pilgrim. fucking Awesome movie. The visuals, transitions, and sounds were all incredibly entertaining. This coming from someone that hates Michael Cera; so if your hatred for him is why you aren't seeing it; go ahead and put that behind you temporarily and see this movie.

And Shipwreck! Dude...Hot Fuzz is the shit! You need to make it a priority to see that.

I agree with Cheapy about Hitman! Where the is it?! I played the dog shit out of Blood Money!

During the discussion about changing the main character in a game, you mentioned Dead Space, Wombat, but you didn't mean to. However, After playing it on the PC and catching a glimpse of what Isaac looked like in the very beginning of the game (apparently you aren't supposed to be able to, but it's broke) I hope they do change his appearance. He looked like a total goob.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shipwreck']That's just my Ohio accent. I swear I'm saying Lara.[/QUOTE]

It's not pronounced Laura?! Well, I'm from Ohio too so I guess that explains it? So it's pronounced Lah-Rah instead of Lor-Rah? I always have had unique pronunciations...

[quote name='Buuhan1']It's not pronounced Laura?! Well, I'm from Ohio too so I guess that explains it? So it's pronounced Lah-Rah instead of Lor-Rah? I always have had unique pronunciations...[/QUOTE]

I say it, "Lare-uh" :whistle2:/

[quote name='shipwreck']That's just my Ohio accent. I swear I'm saying Lara.[/QUOTE]

call her Boobs. much easier.

This is only the 2nd or 3rd CAGcast I've listened to, but I'm loving it so far!

On the topic of Scott Pilgrim, I've read the books (loved them!!) and I'm eagerly awaiting the Xbox Live Arcade version of the game. I'm only a bit hesitant to see the movie because of Michael Cera... The thing is, I like him and I've liked the movies he's been in before, but the Scott Pilgrim character is more or less spastic, self-confident, energetic and just generally outgoing which is pretty much the exact opposite of the characters Michael Cera usually plays. I'm still gonna see it regardless, and I personally think anybody who hates Michael Cera should give the movie a chance... If any movie were to change your opinion of him even temporarily, this should be the one.

Also, I do wish they'd get on with the PSP2 or whatever successor may be in the works. The mediocre "improvements" they've been adding to each new variant have yet to justify upgrading from my old PSP-1000 to a 2000, 3000, or God-forbid a PSP-Go (never!). Personally, with the 3DS on the horizon and the console cycle starting to stretch, I think a well planned PSP2 launch -- with some sort of actual analog/slider and storage/media improvements -- could be closer than we think.

(mono train!!)

Good show gentlemen as always. The only thing about this week was i was surprised you made no mention of the ubisoft store dollar glitch that happened a few days ago. It was pretty nuts, and i was wondering do you think that is just as wrong as people exploiting the mw2 unlocking arcade glitch.

I just came from the theater, and I gotta say, Scott Pilgrim vs The World was amazing. Usually, I hate Michael Cera, but he redeemed himself with this movie. It's a shame it's not doing well in the box office though.

The Star Wars franchise is definitely not as destroyed as the Matrix franchise. Forget the prequel movies, everyone can agree they weren't good but don't forget about the 100's of books, most of which are great and continue the story beyond Return of the Jedi.

Oh, and tell Tai that Chewbacca is sleeping......he had a moon fall on him.

I've played some of the new Kane and Lynch game, and it's crazy glitchy. I didn't have too many gameplay-impairing bugs, but there was a cutscene inside a car where I first hear audio of screeching tires and crashes and then the voice acting that should have accompanied the earlier lip movement came in. Oh, and going on Xbox.com none of the achievements show up for the game.

I actually quite enjoyed Mini Ninjas. It just wasn't ambitious enough and ended up being very vanilla, wasting its potential. I hope for a sequel to expand on it.

The lackluster box office for Scott Pilgrim fits my theory that mainstream audiences just don't really like dorky heroes. They still want Movie Stars as their Movie Stars, not those who fit best friend/sidekick stereotypes. It would also explain the mild reception of Kick-Ass. There are always exceptions, such as Superbad and Zombieland. (Though Movie Stars don't always guarantee results either.)

I prefer Wombat's humming than Sabrina's eerie musical toy. I was actually hoping that Mass Effect 2 will be released for the PS3. I am glad that they are releasing it with all the DLC and an opening that will explain Mass Effect 1.

You guys talked a little about next next gen. I think 2013 at the earliest. Especially since irrational games just announced bioshock infinity for 2012. I don't think they (irrational) would release a huge game like that in the midst of a console generation transition. 2012 (if the worlds still here) will be the prime for this generation. I think we will see games that are a generation beyond what we see today. Developers will have these machines completely figured out. No surprise really, look at late ps2 games, they were better than the first xbox 360 games.

Btw, they never should have made sequels to the Matrix, the first movie was brilliant and could have stood on its own without the other two. Star wars was written to be episodic. The other two matrix movies were a cash in, can't really blame them for making them, but they were totally unnecessary.

[quote name='RobIsLegend']As for Mass Effect 2, I'm in a bit of a pickle- I have a PS3 and just bought one of the new 360's (250gig) soley for the purpose of playing Mass Effect and Fable. Now that 50% of the reason I bought the thing is out the window, am I pretty much SOL? [/QUOTE]

Nah, just enjoy that you can get ME1 and ME2 for cheap and play them both right now. :D

Man, after a truly engaging show with Esteban last week, this one was...pretty lifeless, I gotta say.

However, what I loved was the final section with Tai. Man, that kid is cute. Cheapy, you should consider throwing in a segment each week where you get him to talk about random stuff. Like, show him a video game and see what he says about it. I know he's little, but the answers will probably be hilarious.

I don't know if the Y's code was already given away, but I'd like to throw my hat in that ring. I've never played an Y's game, but have always been interested. Also, I DO have a PSP Go......(regrettably).

Ugh Jim Sterling is awful. I can't believe Wombat actually defended his bullshit review of Kane & Lynch 2.

I mean the game isn't anything great but it's a competant solid third person shooter with a terrific sense of visual style and a top notch presentation...for most of the game anyway. In any case Dog Days is massive improvement over the first game in almost every area. At worst Dog Days doesn't offer up as many cool varying setpieces as the first game did. But Cheapy is correct...more Hitman please.

Cheapy, your wish that Xbox Live games would show up on iPhone is silly. That's like the kids who say Mario games should be on PS3. It's an exclusive advantage that Microsoft is keeping to itself as a selling point for their system. They also wouldn't trust a another platform that they don't control because they try to stop gamerscore cheating.

Can Windows Phone 7 become a hit? Just a couple of years ago Android was an obscure joke. Today it outsells the iPhone. Things change very quickly in the mobile space.

[quote name='volt1up']I stopped reading destructoid because of Jim Sterling, he always pulls dumb sh*t like that.[/QUOTE]Agreed. Don't you hate when sites have that one guy that kind of ruins the rest of the site? Stephen Johnson on G4's The Feed blog does that for me too.

[quote name='Mahoney07']You guys are underestimating how big Windows Phone 7 will be I think.[/QUOTE]
I agree, a bunch of people seems to be interested. I would love to get some achievements while I am going somewhere.

Hey guys. Great CAG Cast!

I think you guys are too quick to drop the PSP. Yea the support early on is last year but look at this year. We have had MGS: Peace Walker, Hexyz Force, Lunar Silver Star Harmony, Ys 7, Persona 3 Portable, and Disgaea: Infinite be released this year. Don't forget that we still have God of War: Ghost of Sparta, Valkyria Chronicles 2, another Ys game, Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, Phantasy Star Portable 2, and Patapon 3. Definately enough games to keep the PSP going. Considering that the PSP has survived over 5 years now in a handheld market always dominated by Nintendo, that has to count for something.

However I agree that Sony holding off showing a new PSP doesn't help at all. The constent rumors about a PSP/Android phone, the PSP 2, and other talks about touch screens on the back of it certainly can't be helping their sales. Consumers don't want speculation and rumors. They want to know how long a device they may purchase will be supported.

P.S Hey Shipwreck, about that Ys 7 code......;)

I don't think Realtime Worlds balked at the idea of making Crackdown 2 but Microsoft declined the idea that there should be a sequel, so they went to make ABP.

Jim Sterling's the kind of guy that loves to stir up shit anyway he can. He even messes with the guy that runs Game Journalists Are Incompetent fuckwads all the time, almost like he gets off on the negative attention. I don't get how 1/10 is supposed to get the message across to not buy it any more than the text is supposed to do that. Unless he thinks his readers are too dumb to understand what the text says, the score doesn't need to be anything other than a reflection of the rest of the review. It sounds more like a 4 or 5 because of the lack of content, the glitches, and that it seems like a great rental.

Polyphony's PR campaign for GT5 is weird. They've supposedly been nearly done for a year or so and are just now confirming things like A-Spec and B-Spec modes for single-player, course creation, that you can buy parts for your car to tune it, and the kart mode when it's out in less than three months. There have been plenty of lists of rumored features and people are freaking out over the extremely vague descriptions of what premium versus basic cars are and what they will have and nobody at PD or Sony bothers to respond to that stuff. You just have to hope that they remember to clarify before launch and not many devs could get away with that kind of stuff.

Kotaku not posting about the NPDs is probably the most shocking thing I've ever heard. They will post anything for the hits and the most bullshit articles on the site get a ton of hits, like how Brian Ashcraft writes a lot about half-naked women and weird things in Japan that didn't really deserve an article since he's on when nobody else is around to stop him.

Good show.

listened to 3 cagcasts this week (since I was away for the last 2). once again I don't really know what's being talked about at times but who cares, it helps time pass!

I didn't want to ask to be considered for the Ys code, but I'm gonna need stuff to play on my new PSP, so it'd definitely be nice if I was chosen.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World was a great movie. I'm curious to hear what Wombat has to say about the movie.

Good show guys.

People can stop hating on Bioshock 2 already. It was still a good game. Yeah, it didn't change the world. So what? Not every game needs to. It had to follow Bioshock 1. I don't think any game could have filled those shoes.

Sterling is an attention whore. He thinks he gets criticized for having "different" ideas, not the fact the content he writes is dumb. He posts ridiculous review scores and articles for attention. A 1/10 implies that the game is completely broken and unplayable, like you can't get past the first stage because a giant bug prevents you from passing it. You don't give a game a 1/10 just because you didn't like it. Maybe I just have a different idea of how a review should work. It's sad that their scores get lumped in together on Metacritic.

I know for a few games he didn't even bother finishing them. He's not even controversial or funny at this point. His gimmick is old. Destructoid sucks. It doesn't matter though, because at the end of the day they're still getting page views so nothing will ever change.

I don't think anyone is mad that Mass Effect 1 isn't coming to the PS3 because they don't know the story. That's silly. They could fill that in with a five minute cutscene. People care because they want the save file import feature, bringing over their character and decisions from the first game. That's one of Mass Effect's coolest features. I can't think of any other game that does this. Having a character you started in Mass Effect 1 and playing as him or her all the way through #3 makes you feel more involved in the game and story.

Good shows guys, I would just recommend you lay off Kotaku for a bit, Cheapy is starting to sound like a jealous exgirlfriend, and for no reason they don't compete with them in any way so why both, he seriously mentions them in every podcast, Wombat has the right attitude here.

One more thing, Xbox Live on Windows Phone 7 is a good idea, gamerpoints you earn go to your Gamertag, whether that is on the console or PC. Microsoft isn't trying to make money per say, they have enough of that, they are trying to push the Xbox Live brand. They think if someone buys a phone, and buys some games they are more likely to get the console in the future if they had the choice.

In this case branding is more important than upfront money making. I for one am totally buying a Windows Phone 7.

[quote name='banodyne']Cheapy, your wish that Xbox Live games would show up on iPhone is silly. That's like the kids who say Mario games should be on PS3. It's an exclusive advantage that Microsoft is keeping to itself as a selling point for their system. They also wouldn't trust a another platform that they don't control because they try to stop gamerscore cheating.

Can Windows Phone 7 become a hit? Just a couple of years ago Android was an obscure joke. Today it outsells the iPhone. Things change very quickly in the mobile space.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Still making my way through the show now but I had to comment on your non-news item regarding Kotaku not reporting on NPD numbers.

While I don't care for Kotaku, I do have to give them the thumbs up on this decision (unless they did just forget like Cheapy said). I could not care less about the NPD numbers, and actually loathe the fact that Cheapy has such a hard-on for them on the CAGCAST. I don't get the point of any site reporting NPDs aside from baiting fanboys. And way to go Wombat for extending the pointless conversation even further...

I do have a question though - As far as the PSP goes, why is it that the system is so maligned as opposed to being an underdog? Is it the hardware itself (aside from the PSPgo) or is it Sony's extreme mismanagement of the platform? As a fan of the PSP I find their new 'Marcus' marketing campaign to be little more than just another nail in the PSP's coffin, especially now that they are going after iPhone gaming (Good luck there Sony).

What could Sony possibly do with a PSP2 (marketing & hardware wise) that would turn things around?

[quote name='rodreading']Hey. I actually tried to post this in the forum archives for CAGCast #208 - however I am a CAG forum NOOB and no avail. So i'm posting it here because I thought it was interesting.

If Shipwreck was "So upset" about certain blog listing tips about how to get free DLC. What's up with this thread!?

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111265[/QUOTE]

What's up with that thread is understand Xbox Live's DRM and EULA. It's using content in an agreed about manner for licenses that have been purchased.

[quote name='Falion']I think the very first Ys had the same deal where you had to talk to everyone in the town before you were allowed to progress. It's a shame that such contrived pacing devices are still used in some Japanese games, but from what I've been reading, Ys 7 gets pretty darn good after that point. Give me the code! :)[/QUOTE]
Was just listening to the Ys talk on the podcast and having played that part I can say that while the first town part is confusing, you don't have to talk to everyone to progress. You just have to walk into the main square and talk with the blue-haired girl, then leave the square, and return.

[quote name='shipwreck']What's up with that thread is understand Xbox Live's DRM and EULA. It's using content in an agreed about manner for licenses that have been purchased.[/QUOTE]

So your saying that rather than my friend BUYING limbo (for example). I should just go and download it on his xbox under MY profile so he does not have to buy the game? In return I can just go back to my xbox and use my profile to re-download the game.

Does this support the developers of the game? It's obvious and common sense that this is not something Microsoft or the developer/publisher would want.

For someone so upset about another site posting up malicious ways of getting free content, I would think that you would not be referring to gray areas in the XBL Eula. We use common sense to understand that it was not the developers intent for Gamer A to buy a game - Install the game on Gamer B's console - so the Gamer B, does not have to buy the game. Which is the whole reason why all games have activation codes now.

I'm not trying to be a big pain in the ass. But once a person starts having to quote passages from a EULA in order to justify his/her actions. It's pretty well known that one is reaching for some kind of gray area in which to craft a way around something with a technicality. Especially a person that implies that he/she is sensitive to the developers financial need for selling the game.

Trying to find a good home for up-to-the-minute video game news. Kotaku is too sleazy. Put off by Joystiq's recent lapse in morals. Love Giant Bomb but they don't update news nearly enough. Tried Destructoid again after hearing Cheapy's story but Jim Sterling reminded why I left, namely Jim Sterling himself, as the CAGcast discussed this week. On a recommendation I'm trying GamesRadar. So far, so good. The snark of Kotaku without the bullshit padded amount of stories. Any recommendations?

I'm not reaching for anything. It's the licensed agreement for the content. It's tied to the original console it's bought on and to the Gamertag that buys it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with paying for the license and using what you paid for.

[quote name='shipwreck']I'm not reaching for anything. It's the licensed agreement for the content. It's tied to the original console it's bought on and to the Gamertag that buys it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with paying for the license and using what you paid for.[/QUOTE]

Exactly using what YOU paid for. Not your friend using what YOU paid for. Again, do you think that a game company would want this?

Yes, the game companies want you to buy the license for their games. They agreed to that EULA. You seem to be the one that doesn't agree with the EULA. I paid for one license to play with my Gamertag anywhere and one license to be tied to the console it was downloaded on. I didn't buy a game or content. I bought a license that allows that content to be accessed in 2 specific ways.

Wombat,

I don't think Luke is a jedi until the last 10 minutes of Jedi. You must confront Vader, says Yoda...

Also(to fully reveal the level of nerd that I am), The title 'Return of the Jedi' doesn't make reference to Luke, it is about the return of Anakin to the light side.

Love the show guys, keep it up.

edit: count me out for the contest, BTW

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hufferstl']Wombat,

I don't think Luke is a jedi until the last 10 minutes of Jedi. You must confront Vader, says Yoda...

Also(to fully reveal the level of nerd that I am), The title 'Return of the Jedi' doesn't make reference to Luke, it is about the return of Anakin to the light side.

Love the show guys, keep it up.

edit: count me out for the contest, BTW[/QUOTE]

you are correct, but building a lightsaber is necessary step in becoming a Jedi.

What's the metric for successful MMOs? More subscribers than World of Warcraft? There are a bunch that have gotten enough subscribers to be profitable enough to support for a long time (Everquest, Everquest 2, Everquest Online Adventures, Final Fantasy XI) that I'd consider a success.

We know nothing about MMOs. Wombat and I played the free trial of WoW and I played the free trial of Final Fantasy XI. If we ever say anything about MMOs, assume that we have no clue what we are talking about.

I find it funny shipwreck criticized Jeff of Giant Bomb for his taste in games yet they STILL seem to agree on all the same games. LOL.

someone recommended me Ys Seven, so i would love to win that code.

great show so far, guys. im still listening to it as i type this.

bread's done
Back