CAGcast #209: Calling All Farts!

[quote name='banodyne']Trying to find a good home for up-to-the-minute video game news. Kotaku is too sleazy. Put off by Joystiq's recent lapse in morals. Love Giant Bomb but they don't update news nearly enough. Tried Destructoid again after hearing Cheapy's story but Jim Sterling reminded why I left, namely Jim Sterling himself, as the CAGcast discussed this week. On a recommendation I'm trying GamesRadar. So far, so good. The snark of Kotaku without the bullshit padded amount of stories. Any recommendations?[/QUOTE]
As long as you don't mind a ton of dumb lists and other reoccurring stories, they may be fine.

[quote name='shipwreck']We know nothing about MMOs. Wombat and I played the free trial of WoW and I played the free trial of Final Fantasy XI. If we ever say anything about MMOs, assume that we have no clue what we are talking about.[/QUOTE]
I get that. It just seemed weird that you guys dove into a topic that required some knowledge despite knowing that you had none. That's why you guys don't cover PC games unless you're actually playing something.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shipwreck']We know nothing about MMOs. Wombat and I played the free trial of WoW and I played the free trial of Final Fantasy XI. If we ever say anything about MMOs, assume that we have no clue what we are talking about.[/QUOTE]
I get that. It just seemed weird that you guys dove into a topic that required some knowledge despite knowing that you had none. That's why you guys don't cover PC games unless you're actually playing something.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I get that. It just seemed weird that you guys dove into a topic that required some knowledge despite knowing that you had none. That's why you guys don't cover PC games unless you're actually playing something.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't think we really wanted to get into to much, but we've talked about APB and seen it a lot in the past so it was kind of hard to not at least touch on MMOs when talking about the troubles of Realtime Worlds.

I'm a Long time listener but this is my first time commenting.

Mass effect 2 seems a bit pointless with out 1. If nothing else but because you make major choices that effect the outcome of the storyline though out the entire trilogy. With out being able to pick those choices you're pretty much stuck with the Default.

You could tell Tai that Chewbaka is in Texas. That's where his actor Peter Mayhew lives.

Thanks for giving me something to listen too on the bus to work! Crossing my fingers for the ys code xd

Thank you for not talking about Starcraft for hours, CAGcasters.

Also, I think you're informed enough about MMOs to cast judgement on APB. Even from the outside it looks like a complete failure and like you, I think if they would have published it as a multi-player console game on XBL or PSN they would of, at minimum, broke even and learned a thing or two to encourage success for the sequel.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']What's the metric for successful MMOs? More subscribers than World of Warcraft? There are a bunch that have gotten enough subscribers to be profitable enough to support for a long time (Everquest, Everquest 2, Everquest Online Adventures, Final Fantasy XI) that I'd consider a success.[/QUOTE]

Everquest 2 recently launched a free version with less features also. you can pay for more races character slots. I have been trying to log in but it seems not running great yet

Good show guys. I thought the point Wombat made about Scott Pilgrim not doing well was pretty poignant. I think he was just joking when he said "I've got a kid," but that explains a lot about the disappointing numbers for the Scott Pilgrim movie. The audience that movie plays most to is full of people Wombat's age-- old enough to have a love and connection to the 8-bit video game references in the movie, AND old enough to have kids that require them to stay home way more often.

I have two young daughters, and I've only seen one movie this year, Inception. I know that, at best, I'll see 2-3 movies in the theater this year, and Scott Pilgrim isn't going to beat out Inception, for me, anyway!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great show. I agree that the MMO world is oversaturated, and can be risky business. Dungeons & Dragons Online was unsuccessful with their initial release, but they managed to increase poplularity, and turn a hefty profit once they changed to a free-to-play business model. Pretty interesting that they didn't start making money until they went free-to-play. Just a fun fact for you guys. Also, I love classic RPGs, so if you still have that Y's code, I would be more than happy to recieve it. Thanks!

Hey guys, love the show. But i think you all are severely underestimating how powerful this Xbox live windows mobile 7 endeavor is for microsoft. The largest driving factor nowadays in the smartphone market is the gaming. Both apple and google realize this and have been diving headfirst into trying to make their phones better gaming platforms (I.E apple's gyroscope and future gaming hub as well as android's immensely growing free and paid game market). With many of the game developers of xbox live games already signing up as well as getting free demo phones and incentives, this could really jump start the platform into being a true iphone and android competitor. As a current iphone 4 owner i am excited to see how this all plays out.

again, love the show. Keep on with yo gangsta selves.

[quote name='inwardsinging101']Hey guys, love the show. But i think you all are severely underestimating how powerful this Xbox live windows mobile 7 endeavor is for microsoft. The largest driving factor nowadays in the smartphone market is the gaming. Both apple and google realize this and have been diving headfirst into trying to make their phones better gaming platforms (I.E apple's gyroscope and future gaming hub as well as android's immensely growing free and paid game market). With many of the game developers of xbox live games already signing up as well as getting free demo phones and incentives, this could really jump start the platform into being a true iphone and android competitor. As a current iphone 4 owner i am excited to see how this all plays out.

again, love the show. Keep on with yo gangsta selves.[/QUOTE]

Windows mobile is absolute garbage. It needs to streamline and drop half of its features in an effort to increase its functionality. My friend has an HTC imagio with windows mobile and it sucks total ass. I feel sorry for anyone that gets roped into getting a phone with windows mobile on it because of the Xbox live functionality it will have.

It's intriguing and it looks nice, but I'll go ahead and holdout for the xboxlive iPhone app. I of course will not be holding my breath.

Wombat, I think your theory on why Kotaku isn't posting the NPDs was perfectly fine. Cheapy was actually the one interested in the story and you actually participated and he shot you down! How rude. Cheapy had nothing to contribute except just reading an e-mail that went nowhere. Sloppy hosting.

Otherwise great show!

I love your show guys, but please stop trying to pronounce "Shmup", its like trying to pronounce "wtf" or "omg". It just sounds wrong.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Wombat, I think your theory on why Kotaku isn't posting the NPDs was perfectly fine. Cheapy was actually the one interested in the story and you actually participated and he shot you down! How rude. Cheapy had nothing to contribute except just reading an e-mail that went nowhere. Sloppy hosting.

Otherwise great show![/QUOTE]

That wasnt a good theory at all. Kotaku posts Japans hardware/software sales every single week. Like we give a crap which dating sim or idolmaster game sold the most. Why would they spend time giving us Japans sales and not the US? NPD's numbers come out every month. Is it really that hard to post them considering they give us sales from another country? They already have a Kotaku Japan website.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Wombat, I think your theory on why Kotaku isn't posting the NPDs was perfectly fine. Cheapy was actually the one interested in the story and you actually participated and he shot you down! How rude. Cheapy had nothing to contribute except just reading an e-mail that went nowhere. Sloppy hosting.

Otherwise great show![/QUOTE]

Yeah it was a horrible theory considering they post notes to each other on Kotaku and images of celebrities with any reference of a game near them.

Decent show but getting tired of Wombat's little speeches and theories. He makes this voice that's just kinda insulting like he's trying to explain it to a baby. And his voice rises up and down while doing it. Plus, I'm super sure he makes counter-arguments just so he has 30 seconds more airtime than anyone else and to be different.

Good thing Shipwreck and CheapyD called him out on that "theory". IPlus, Wombat didn't cry about being double teamed this time. And yeah Jim Sterling is a fat twat.

I mean he wears a dinner jacket and stupid sunglasses indoors during his "Jimquisition videos". And he pants into the mic while talking because thats how fat he is.

Don't take anything wrong here Wombat!

[quote name='Microshock']
He makes this voice that's just kinda insulting like he's trying to explain it to a baby. And his voice rises up and down while doing it

[/QUOTE]Yeah this is true unfortunately.

Have you guys not figured out Microsoft's software strategy this generation? All they do is pay for limited exclusitivity. The only new IP that they have this generation (that was decent) that they actually own is Crackdown. Everything that they say is "Exclusive" is really not. There first party games are pretty much all shit, and the few that are not shit they are just milking the shit out of. I enjoyed last generation when they had a more competitive side in first party games. Sure they sucked ass, but I just feel that my 360 is an exclusitivity machine and that when a title does come out on another platform (PS3) they seem to add more features to to the game.

Also, what is Cheapy teaching his son? We all know that fire trucks are cooler than Mono-rails......

[quote name='Davestation']Have you guys not figured out Microsoft's software strategy this generation? All they do is pay for limited exclusitivity. The only new IP that they have this generation (that was decent) that they actually own is Crackdown. Everything that they say is "Exclusive" is really not. There first party games are pretty much all shit, and the few that are not shit they are just milking the shit out of. I enjoyed last generation when they had a more competitive side in first party games. Sure they sucked ass, but I just feel that my 360 is an exclusitivity machine and that when a title does come out on another platform (PS3) they seem to add more features to to the game.

Also, what is Cheapy teaching his son? We all know that fire trucks are cooler than Mono-rails......[/QUOTE]

On a game with no multiplayer element there's no real reason for permanent exclusivity. Everyone that REALLY wanted to play ME2 has it. M$ isn't losing out on any sales by this game moving to the PS3 this late in the game.

[quote name='shipwreck']Yeah, I don't think we really wanted to get into to much, but we've talked about APB and seen it a lot in the past so it was kind of hard to not at least touch on MMOs when talking about the troubles of Realtime Worlds.[/QUOTE]

Speculation is fun. Man, APB turned out to be such a mess.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Windows mobile is absolute garbage. It needs to streamline and drop half of its features in an effort to increase its functionality. My friend has an HTC imagio with windows mobile and it sucks total ass. I feel sorry for anyone that gets roped into getting a phone with windows mobile on it because of the Xbox live functionality it will have.

It's intriguing and it looks nice, but I'll go ahead and holdout for the xboxlive iPhone app. I of course will not be holding my breath.[/QUOTE]

yes, the current windows mobile platform is pretty mediocre. But microsoft has build windows mobile 7 from the ground up, throwing out the entire past mobile platform. So your friends imagio is nowhere near what microsoft wants to release with the new platform. This isnt just windows mobile +xbox live, its an entire new operating system they have developed with xbox live and mobile office as supporting factors.

[quote name='inwardsinging101']yes, the current windows mobile platform is pretty mediocre. But microsoft has build windows mobile 7 from the ground up, throwing out the entire past mobile platform. So your friends imagio is nowhere near what microsoft wants to release with the new platform. This isnt just windows mobile +xbox live, its an entire new operating system they have developed with xbox live and mobile office as supporting factors.[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna be skeptical until I see it in action and here my peers' opinion of it. Until then though all I have is a track record, and it's not a good one. The fact that they have built something from the ground up just tells me I should check it out when it comes out; not that it means it's going to be a booming success.

[quote name='D_W01']Is it Just me, or does wombat sound like he is a bit of an ass at times.[/QUOTE]

Oh no, he does for sure. Especially on his little lectures and theories, that's when he sounds most like an ass. Mostly cause of the tone and also because he always seems to do it just to have a different view point.

Still a cool guy though, nice person. Wombat, please stop picking the comments from the last weeks show on the CAGcast, it makes it very one sided.

[quote name='reddjoey']Don't you have to pay to get NPD numbers? Maybe Kotaku decided that it wasn't worth the cash.[/QUOTE]

All they have to do is post some story about a upskirt videogame from Japan and watch the cash roll in. I dont think theyre struggling.

I'm going to have to disagree with Wombat on the matrix being more derailed by the movies than star-wars.

How successful something or culturally relevant something is, is not a good measure if something has been derailed or not, many things stay the course and loose popularity very quickly. Starwars had been popular for almost 30 years when the new movies came out, even with some really bad movies it's hard to kill 30 years of momentum. If on the other hand the crap trilogy had come out 2 years after the good trilogy, then they probably would have killed starwars. Also the new starwars movies switched their target from starwars fans to kids(one of the most profitable groups) while the new matrix films target the same audience, just unsuccessfully.

[quote name='itachiitachi']I'm going to have to disagree with Wombat on the matrix being more derailed by the movies than star-wars.

How successful something or culturally relevant something is, is not a good measure if something has been derailed or not, many things stay the course and loose popularity very quickly. Starwars had been popular for almost 30 years when the new movies came out, even with some really bad movies it's hard to kill 30 years of momentum. If on the other hand the crap trilogy had come out 2 years after the good trilogy, then they probably would have killed starwars. Also the new starwars movies switched their target from starwars fans to kids(one of the most profitable groups) while the new matrix films target the same audience, just unsuccessfully.[/QUOTE]

So what you are saying is; Wombat's right. Gotch'ya!

I loled at the monorail part, also I don't see any problem with Wombat's voice, he have always sounded like a nice guy IMO

I think the next generation of consoles will begin next year, at least maybe Nintendo's console. Then, maybe in 2012 we'll see Sony's and Microsoft's next consoles. That seems to be the cycle, because Sony came out with PS2 in 2000, then Microsoft and Nintendo came out with their consoles in 2001. Then Microsoft in 2005, then Sony and Nintendo in 2006. Nintendo's 3DS is coming out soon, it would make sense for Nintendo to show some info of their home console sooner or later.

Normally I don't post just to win a contest because I like to have more to contribute however I love the Ys series and I would love to win the game. I have played the previous releases and still go back to Ys III when i am looking for some old school fun. The DS rerelease of Ys I&II were great and the VC is worth picking it up.

I will add that if you are going to Hawaii and staying in Honolulu you should obviously go to Pearl Harbor and take the boat out to the Arizona Memorial. Also go to the Dole pineapple factory. It is worth the time and energy to climb Diamond Head. The waves and watching the surfing at North Shore is also worth a visit.

[quote name='reddjoey']Don't you have to pay to get NPD numbers? Maybe Kotaku decided that it wasn't worth the cash.[/QUOTE]
I don't think the news sites pay for the numbers, as the NPD just sends out a press release with the top games and sales numbers every month, which they've restricted down to ten with sales for the top five. Besides, they could easily get the information from another site and write up their own story with it if it was because of the cost.

Great show again. I got kinda bored when you talked about some of the new games but that's because I have no interest in them. I loved Scott Pilgrim as well, I think Michael Cera did a good job of not acting like Michael Cera but instead acting like Scott Pilgrim.

As for MMOs I know you guys have no interest or knowledge. I play World of Warcraft religiously. In the MMO world the Holy Grail of development is to make a 'Warcraft Killer', a game so good it take players away from WoW and takes the top spot. It was supposed to be Lord of the Rings, then Age of Conan, then Warhammer, then Star Trek, but many believe the only thing that can topple WoW is Blizzard's next MMO. I think APB was the perfect chance to make an MMO on consoles and make it free by having in game advertising. Where a billboard for Coca Cola wouldn't work in a fantasy game, it would work great in a city setting.

bread's done
Back