CAGcast #300: EME

[quote name='shinryuu']Hmm I was thinking it over again about the "MOBA" just a few minutes ago and I started humming a punch-out song... maybe?! I rechecked Cheapy's version and it wasn't that close, but I'll throw it out there just in case:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0qzz2VoZ48

Just right after the bell rings... maybe... hopefully... I should stop thinking about this little melody now. Dang you Cheapy.[/QUOTE]

I hope you're right cause I already guessed Punch out, lol

While I know a lot of people were clamoring for a clip show or a retrospective for the 300th CAGcast, it's just not your guys' style. You three are like the cool kids that don't show up for graduation and just have your diplomas sent in the mail. Thanks for another great episode and keep them coming.

As for the contest, my guess is the original X-Com.

Maybe "Dishonored"? Only because Cheapy has played it and beaten it multiple times and it's in the front of his short-term memory.

congrats on 300! I started listening around ep. 240, and love the show...compared to other game podcasts, this is the one I always am in anticipation for week to week. Hope you guys keep going strong.

As for the MOBA jingle, I'm gonna go with Super Bomberman. Havent seen anyone guess that yet, and cheapy always says he played a shit ton of it...so, yea. Super Bomberman?

[quote name='Cao Cao']That's Ride of the Valkyries. I don't know if it could be Punch-Out!!, since I believe Cheapy mentioned before that he never owned a NES. It's a song that's been referenced in quite a few games, even in a Borderlands 2 easter egg:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYYbiGULF3Y[/QUOTE]

Yeah I remember it in a few other games as well. Found this list with a quick google search.

We're probably wrong since Cheapy hasn't said anything, unless he's announcing it next podcast. =p

Congrats you guys. Love the show, look forward to it every week. Ship knows his shiz. Wombat channels Shecky Greene for the jokes and Cheapy is the awkward racist uncle with the money we all tolerate.

I kid because I love. keep up the good work.

Congrats on #300. Wombat talking about loving to eat his own doody almost made me choke on a french fry and wreck my car... :)

Congrats on episode 300, guys. It's always fun to hear about the show highlights, like Wombat's Gamer Spotlight, and Cheapy passing out after pooping.

I probably don't spend enough time in the forums to see when shady shit goes down (or fun trade-in exploits). Anyone care to explain it to me?

[quote name='oregonjon']I probably don't spend enough time in the forums to see when shady shit goes down (or fun trade-in exploits). Anyone care to explain it to me?[/QUOTE]

As you've probably noticed, when you post an Amazon link, it automatically switches it to the CAG affiliate link. There was a case a few years back where some guy found a way to bypass that and insert his own affiliate link instead (He was doing it on a few other sites too). While Cheapy was busy moderating this guy's posts, he somehow discovered that the guy was actually an Amazon employee, so Cheapy gave him an ultimatum: "Stop pulling this shit, or I'll reveal your identity to your bosses at Amazon, who will most likely fire and sue you." (Paraphrasing here)

Needless to say, the guy immediately stopped.

EDIT: Never mind, not what you were referring to, still an interesting story though.

[quote name='oregonjon']I probably don't spend enough time in the forums to see when shady shit goes down (or fun trade-in exploits). Anyone care to explain it to me?[/QUOTE]

There was no shady shit or exploits; Amazon's trade in values for some older games and consoles went higher than they should have been, so we traded in our games. It was like this for weeks, and now Amazon is just being a crybaby bitch about it.

Oh well, get your shit together, Amazon.

I'm coming to the contest late. Listened to the show Thursday, and don't want to go through it again. Can someone pm me with a time stamp of when to listen? :)

Grats on 300, guys. I've only started to listen since #262, but it's become a part of my week now. Here's to many more.

Cheapy, I wholeheartedly disagree with putting batteries in the PlayStation controller. The fact that the controller doesn't have batteries is, to me, a huge reason why I prefer the PS3 to the 360. If you were to ask me some reasons why I like the PS3, the battery-less controller would be in the top 3 points. I hate having to have batteries. Adding batteries to the controller would be a step backwards, in my opinion.

The firing of Jared at ScrewAttack took everyone by surprise there. It was completely unexpected. Nothing led up to it, it just happened. The original statement (by Jared himself) was that it was a "mutual agreement." But it was obvious to me that he was fired, and he later posted on his FB that it wasn't his decision at all. Craig got kind of angry that Jared said that, but I mean... come on. Clearly Jared just said that originally to avoid drama, but the drama occurred anyways (before he clearly stated that he was let go). I know I wouldn't be happy if I was fired under any circumstances, so I don't blame Jared for saying that. There was no indication that Jared was "losing focus" on ScrewAttack - he was still very active in the content there. It must've been something behind the scenes. But, enough of that. That's neither here nor there.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Great episode! Cheapy being Wombat was pretty funny. If episode 200 was the classic Kazoo, I'd say Shipwrecks official entrance was maybe around 165 or 185.

Your PS3 complaints have been fixed, some tips:
Batteries? Are you serious? You want a downgrade? PS3 charge controllers last pretty long, and batteries are expensive. Also a 2nd controller plugged in charging while playing works fine just swap back and forth.

Slow downloads? Must be an old issue with older models, PS3 Slim has no problems with wired connection. I dl 18mb paches in 10sec and 200mb patches in 2-3min. If you just want to play the game right away, cancel the patch and play offline then let PS+ DL the patch overnight.

My Slim also runs quietly unless you put a DVD in initially it's loud but quiets down, but all blu-ray are all quiet though. Wombat got that right, and the bigger hard drives out of the box.

Also it is so easy to upgrade the HDD on your own (it does not void the warrenty, heck it tells you how in the PS3 manual) with a laptop HDD. And mandatory game installs are gone yes, some do offer optional installs but I haven't seen a forced install either in a long while.

I haven't downloaded or installed a firmware update in over a year. You guys have to be doing it wrong. PS+ does it automatically, just set the settings and it DL+installs it overnight. Even recent played games PS+ will auto download and install newest patch before you wake up. Cheapy is in Japan so maybe that's why, but I don't know why Shipwreck is downloading a firmware update every week. (The PS3 system has to be off for PS+ to do auto updates at the time you selected)

If you want it to auto DL+Install everything on your DL queue, just click "turn off" and check the box auto install after background updates and it will finish downloading then install every game/DLC and turn off the system after. Sure you'll have to turn it back on, but it seems you set it and leave it anyway. So when you go back and see PS3 off, you'll know it finished.

Hopefully Friskytanuki will chime in and explain it better, but your complaints are outdated.
[/QUOTE]Ah, thank you. I'd thought that no one would agree with me that the complaints were... not good. I imagine that they have to be using WiFi, not ethernet. I've never had issues with PS3's downloads using ethernet. It's not slow for me.
I don't have PS+ myself, so downloading firmware can be a pain. But... I'd rather deal with that than 360's overall bullshit. That's just me. To each his own, I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I can't get that song out of my head, it's driving me crazy! Really sounds like something 8-bit, maybe a puzzle game... Dr. Mario?

Congrats on the 300th episode! I have been downloading the CAG cast awhile now and really enjoy them. Look forward to them every week! Don't post on the forums too much but really enjoy the CAG cast!

As for the song, it sounds kind of like the Legend of Grimrock theme.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jasper Kazai']Grats on 300, guys. I've only started to listen since #262, but it's become a part of my week now. Here's to many more.

Cheapy, I wholeheartedly disagree with putting batteries in the PlayStation controller. The fact that the controller doesn't have batteries is, to me, a huge reason why I prefer the PS3 to the 360. If you were to ask me some reasons why I like the PS3, the battery-less controller would be in the top 3 points. I hate having to have batteries. Adding batteries to the controller would be a step backwards, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I agree. The 360 pad would be better if it had an internal battery that lasted as long as the one in the Dual Shock 3, instead of a huge protruding lump on the back of the controller where AAs go to die. And the official MS rechargeable battery packs are even worse than Duracells.

I guess I should just shell out the cash for Eneloops because Microsoft couldn't put a decent Li-ion battery inside their wireless controller.

[quote name='Curufinwe'] And the official MS rechargeable battery packs are even worse than Duracells.[/QUOTE]

As long as I can instantly swap in a freshly charged pack, I don't really care. PS3 you either need to swap to a different controller or pull out a long USB cable to continue playing.

Cheapy: I use the "Delete intro movies" trick on pretty much every game, it's great.

And don't let Wombat and Shipwreck raz you just because they don't know what FOV is. I don't see what's so mockery-worthy about bending games to your will! That's what PC gaming is all about: making them look and play how you want them to.

Many adjust FOV so they don't feel sick in fps games. The occasional fps game has given me a sick feeling or a headache and from what I read the FOV setting is why. Adjust it and sickness can go away. Something about a certain FOV causes the brain to sense too much of an imbalance in the movement on the screen with the non-movement outside the screen. And this makes some sick or gives them a headache etc. I looked into this quite a bit many years ago.

Funny to hear Cheapie already getting deep into pcgaming with his "hacks." I'm back into pcgaming too the past year, but haven't got back into the hacks much. As I get older just have less tolerance for spending time on that sht. Also seems to take longer for me to look that sht up nowadays.

[quote name='Curufinwe']I agree. The 360 pad would be better if it had an internal battery that lasted as long as the one in the Dual Shock 3, instead of a huge protruding lump on the back of the controller where AAs go to die. And the official MS rechargeable battery packs are even worse than Duracells.

I guess I should just shell out the cash for Eneloops because Microsoft couldn't put a decent Li-ion battery inside their wireless controller.[/QUOTE]

4 Eneloops and a charger is much better than an internal battery that you never know is charged or not.

[quote name='trip1eX']4 Eneloops and a charger is much better than an internal battery that you never know is charged or not.[/QUOTE]It has an indication on the PS3... Well, whatever. I much prefer the internal battery, but I guess it's not everyone's thing. I'd just rather not have to buy batteries and/or a rechargeable one or a station or whatever.

[quote name='Jasper Kazai']It has an indication on the PS3... Well, whatever. I much prefer the internal battery, but I guess it's not everyone's thing. I'd just rather not have to buy batteries and/or a rechargeable one or a station or whatever.[/QUOTE]

The 360 controllers also have an indicator if you press the guide button.

[quote name='Jasper Kazai']It has an indication on the PS3... Well, whatever. I much prefer the internal battery, but I guess it's not everyone's thing. I'd just rather not have to buy batteries and/or a rechargeable one or a station or whatever.[/QUOTE]

If 360 batteries die while you're playing a game, you just throw some new ones in and keep going.

If your PS3 controller dies while you're playing a game, what do you do? Plug it in? The charging cable that comes with the PS3 is about 2 feet long. Good luck with that.

What I really hate is the lightshow on a 360 controller when it gets to around 1/3 of a charge. It'll still play for hours, but all those blinking lights drive me nuts.

[quote name='bickle']What I really hate is the lightshow on a 360 controller when it gets to around 1/3 of a charge. It'll still play for hours, but all those blinking lights drive me nuts.[/QUOTE]

I have to change them out immediately when that starts. Annoying to no end.

My favorite moment in the past 300 episodes is that part where you guys said dumb things and then people yelled at you in the corresponding thread.

Congrats to 300 episodes guys! CAGcast was the first podcast I listened to many years ago. I always loved the humor and personalities on the show!

[quote name='Icedus']Personally, I think this secondhand method of recalling bits from old episodes is more fun.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I skip clip shows.

So did anyone correctly guess the MOBA song yet?

I know I've heard it before (possibly in some RPG / fantasy game?) and the answer is driving me nuts.

[quote name='joyce_181502']So did anyone correctly guess the MOBA song yet?

I know I've heard it before (possibly in some RPG / fantasy game?) and the answer is driving me nuts.[/QUOTE]

It's almost an obsession. I can't stop hearing it in my head. The last thought I had is that it is "Ride of the Valkyries." But, I didnt think it could be that butchered.

I am guessing tribes cheapyd. I am happy the CAGcast has reached 300! everypony here would like to say thanks for all that you, shipwreck, wombat and mrs. shipwreck! also thanks for the special guest who appeared on the show (I myself got to be in the podcast with the best deals question that I asked at the blackfriday show of 2010). I look forward to more podcast! Woo Hoo you rock!

bread's done
Back