CAGcast #305: The Shipwreck Shopping Hotline

I didn't buy much during Black Friday, unfortunately. I would have bought the Vita bundle, but I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a memory card. I didn't hear about that Microsoft sale, so I missed out on that, too. I can see the Wii U doing okay when more games start showing up, but right now, I'm not dying to get one.

I'm up for entering the Half-Minute Hero watch contest.

Amazon is trying to bring black friday to europe, good luck to them I say. They had RE6 for £15 which is about $23.

Can i haz watch?

Great show as always. Liked the black friday purchase stories. I also jumped on the dishonored train via amazon : )

The watch would be great for xmas too!!

[quote name='Wombat']For me, the price drop happened prior to delivery. I could still flat out cancel my old order. That may have been the difference.[/QUOTE]

I think me and the other guy did try to do the price match well before delivery. Mine was about 12 hours after my original order. But yes, the difference could be that you still had an option to cancel yours (which is simply what I would have done if I had the chance). But even though they didn't ship until Monday I couldn't cancel mine before that. Yeah, in the end it was no big deal - just wanted to clarify Cheapy's point that Amazon is "good" about that sort of thing. In your case it was easy for them since the order hadn't even entered processing yet, but in general they have a "no price match" policy which actually makes me a little hesitant buying stuff from them when I know there's a chance it might be cheaper - as opposed to some place like Best Buy where I can return or price match with no problem. I made an exception for Battlefield 3 because I missed the lightning deal for it and I thought that was my only chance at $25 - who knew they'd just throw it out there for everyone at that price the next day? :lol: I'm certainly very glad they did the same for Lego Batman 2 which I did pick up for $15 mostly because of the glowing recommendations from you guys. Like you, Wombat, I'm playing through Lego LOTR right now - quite enjoying that. I'm done with the story and just wrapping up all the collectables in a push for 100% completion. It is a relaxing enough game that I think I'll be able to get that done before getting bored of it. I platy it late at night after everyone is asleep and I'm done working - the music alone makes it worth playing.

As for Battlefield 3, just after I contacted Amazon I bought a copy from the MS store for $10 - but it ended up being a PC copy, which is useless to me.

As for the Wii U, while I am rooting hard for it, I can see some of the disappointment Shipwreck has with it. I haven't put that much time into it myself - not even nearly done with NSMB yet. I did buy Scribblenauts for my son's birthday next week. I figure that will be a good game to display on the TV so that we can enter in funny things to entertain my 2 and 5 year-olds. But beyond Cheapy and Wombat not getting one and Shipwreck being underwhelmed by his, I can definitely tell that the same excitement is not there for the Wii U that was there for the Wii. With my launch day Wii, I ended up nearly filling my friend's list with CAGs (including even Cheapy - can't imagine him ever entering friend codes but he did at one point ;)). And remember that required both parties to enter the friend codes on each side. With the Wii U you have usernames and get friend requests that you can simply accept (just like Xbox and PSN). And yet I only have about 15 people from CAG on my Wii U friend's list. So that right there is an indication of much less excitement within the community. However, I still like the machine - it blows the Wii out of the water and I do not think the next PS and Xbox will be all that much more powerful in comparison. At least the Wii U brings something to the table more than a slight bump in graphics. I'm not sure we'll even notice that much difference on the next Sony/MS systems anyway. I'm actually less likely to get those at launch since they will just be slightly juiced up versions of what they already have and I still have tons of current-gen HD games to plow through. With the Wii, it needed HD bad - so that was a no-brainer upgrade IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gaming wise it was a pretty solid black friday, the rest not so much. wish I got some more MS $10 games, but hey what can you do. I was kinda shocked how quickly they dropped the price on forza horizon.

consider this an entry for the HMH contest?

Just had to interject my own answer to the last question on the show. Even after all this time, I still go back to Left 4 Dead 2, and it's just as fun as the first time I picked it up. A really timeless game.

Nice show guys. Good to hear about the WiiU from Ship. I was interested when I played it at PAX. But for now I think I'll hold out. Id love to win the Half Minute Hero bundle please.

Another couple of things perhaps for the next show:

I think Nintendo underestimated how critical the Wii Sports pack-in was to the Wii's success. I think a Wii-U Sports pack-in would really have improved the Wii-U's chance of widespread success. Do you agree?

And to Shipwreck's point about Wii-U and Pokemon. That could be massive, if done properly. They could just use RFID Pokemon cards, as opposed to figurines. Pokemon is like crack for kids. Pokemon could sell the system. Pokemon and Minecraft.

I would shed a tear if Nintendo ever became like Sega with no hardware and only IP.

And Cheap, I think your thoughts about Rockband 3 are common. There is a long term fan base for that game who keeps buying songs. Blame Activision for killing that market.

Hell, I keep buying Rock Band songs when they are on sale but I haven't played the game in a year or so ;). I did pick up Rock Band Blitz when it was half price a week ago or so - have yet to play that too.

Nice show guys. Cheapy's Hitman impressions give me hope as a long time Hitman fan.

After seeing all the Walmart BF Riot videos, I'm glad I stuck with all online deals with Amazon and MS.
Also, the $10 MS Store game deal has the be the favorite for Deal of the Year.

There were a lot of great deals, but I still couldn't bring myself to buy anything other than the God of War Saga. I just can't spend $25 on a game anymore knowing it will drop to $10-$15 in a few months. And somehow I missed the Microsoft sale thinking it was all 360 games...

Put me down for a watch please!

I still haven't bought Mass Effect 3 and shared Cheapy's reaction to the $15 price of the Omega DLC but I remember hearing on the Major Nelson podcast that it's huge. Even bigger than all the other DLC combined.

Put me down for the Half-Minute Hero prize pack.

Jeez the first time Cheapy screamed when he messed something up, honestly frightened me, had my heart racing for a bit there. Wish I could tell you guys my beats per minute, if only I some sort of time keeping device on my wrist, ya I'd like that.

I also took a big advantage of the Xbox points at Target. I bought 5 cards for $50 and they gave me a $10 giftcard back for spending more than $50. (The ad said $50 in home-wares but I wasn't going to question it). It took a lot of willpower for me to not repeat that transaction again and again.

I was disappointed that I missed out on a lot of the Microsoft Store deals. I almost bit on Dragon's Dogma for $40 through Amazon earlier in the week and was so disheartened when I saw that it had sold out at the Microsoft Store. I guess I'll be waiting a few more months to try that one out.

I hope Cheapy got to give some feedback to Microsoft after they sandbagged their Black Friday deals. I'll definitely double check their offerings next year though.

Please consider me for the watch too. Keep up the good work. I really enjoyed the black friday camaraderie between Wombat and Shipwreck, it was a nice change of pace from the usual bombardment between hosts.

Great show once again guys! Picked up a few things from the Microsoft store and Amazon, but was pretty frugal overall. Also, I'd love a watch!

Long time CAG. Long time listener. Love CAG. Love you guys. Big Wombat fan (the rest of you I like too).

I usually don't understand all the bitching people do about the Podcast (because it is perfect), but... I have to say to Cheapy, please stop talking about the Wii U. You have made it clear that you don't care, that you're not interested, you don't understand it, and that you are not the customer. The fact is, that you are not going to be the customer for a lot more things coming down the gaming pipeline as the industry evolves, grows, and diversifies. Nintendo will always do exactly what it has done for years, and that is to not give a shit about what most of its competitors do.

We get it. You didn't like the Wii, and you don't like the Wii U. Let's move on to something else more interesting. Thanks.

Really enjoyed the show. Liked the tag-teaming of Black (brown?) Thursday / Friday / Weekend deals between the Wombats and the Shipwrecks. Also really think Cheapy may be on to something with the more educational-leaning Wii-U.

Oh, and I'd love to win one of the Half Minute Hero prizes. Sounds awesome. Good luck to all!

[quote name='donssword']Cheapy, please stop talking about the Wii U[/QUOTE]

Well the WiiU is the big news of the moment, or at least it should be. And as a videogame podcast, it makes total sense to talk about it. To not talk about it would be a mistake.

Well, since the show was about thanksgiving/brown thursday/ black friday, I am putting my scenario with that weekend. On thanksgiving, I was watching football because between with basketball starting and football/college football ending, football on thanksgiving was very jam packed and also exciting. Now on friday, I work at Walgreens and it was busy for the reason that the balance rewards where you earn 10 points for each dollar below $50 and 50 points for each dollars over $50.

Sears have a clearance sale on games such as steel diver for the 3DS for $5.00 I might get the game but I will have to wait and see. I have started to play Batman Arkham City and its a badass game because playing batman is awesome and this game is like an interactive DC animated film.

A big thing that I have invested more on is the massive Rock Band 3 DLC sale that have all the DLC before the RB3 DLC was made for half off. I am surprised that the sale lasted this long but it does as a Wii gamer made me happy because I will be able to play the older songs and it does save the money a lot in case you spend on RB3 DLC such as "Call Me Maybe".

Now, I am very interested in the Half Minute Hero contest.

CheapyD thinks Nintendo should sell Edutainment software for the Wii U? Worst idea ever. When has that kind of software ever sold well on a console?

I had to laugh when he was trying so hard to come up with a solution for Nintendo, for a problem that doesn't exist.

Oh, and I'm interested in the watch contest. Thanks!

[quote name='bickle']Well the WiiU is the big news of the moment, or at least it should be. And as a videogame podcast, it makes total sense to talk about it. To not talk about it would be a mistake.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you bickle, but if the only thing we are going to hear is that Cheapy doesn't "get" the Wii U, well we already heard that in the last couple of podcasts. He doesn't like Kinect either. Got it. I'm just used to the trio having more interesting things to talk about--if they want to say interesting things about the Wii U, I'm all ears.

Gotta talk some wii U. I'm sick of Nintendo fans that need to feel pandered to. I'm not sure if its the demo or just what but F them. Im not a nintendo hater or a troll but say anythjng negative and they will label you. there are a lot of Nintendo properties that I love. I also love final fantasy and square is ruining it just like Nintendo is with their garbage system. Asking a major player in gaming and your podcast host not to talk about it and his opinion if negative is asinine. His idea was good and better than more mini games like Nintendo is up to. How are minigames defensible? Retards like Audrey Drake at IGN who likely work promotion for Nintendo need to be equally as critical as Cheapy. How a company in 2012 can release a system which offers nothing but a tablet controller without a comprehensive online solution shocks me as a videogame fan and someone on broadband Internet for almost 15 years. The games are embarrassing, I don't know what else to say. The wiimotes usage alone is enough for me to never buy this thing bc Zelda and all their other games were unplayable last generation. I have more tvs, monitors, and tablets in my house than I could possibly utilize to have 2 screens and a very basic tablet as the selling point makes me upset the games I would want to play just won't happen. Some of my other issues are below. Basically though F Wii, Wii U, and F Nintendo fans who defend this abortion recently released to us.

- no up convert? Could Nintendo not get the same technology in my DVD player 8 years ago?
- no DVD or bluray in general?
- the pro controller looks like the design was done in the dark and while drunk. Do those face buttons look playable? No headset either
- how about a no tablet system? Bring the price even with 360/ps3 though without DVD and a significantly better online and entire interface hard to argue what the Wii U brings to the table other than Nintendo properties.
- 1 eshop. ONE. Have they not seen iTunes or PSN? These simply work an provide the customer a more seemless integrated experience. Spend 5 minutes less on Miis and 2 minutes logically thinking out what works and the minimum standards customers expect in almost 2013.
- Aren't people sick of running left to right in Mario yet?
- Dreamcast had a more impressive online lineup than Wii U
- lack of achievements really baffling, push for a social network with nothing to talk about
- stop protecting kids. Let parents do that, I consider most adult males who like Nintendo eunuchs at this point. Sorry animal crossing is not acceptable for a grown adult male to play or be excited about nor are nearly any Nintendo games the way they make them for all ages.
- storage solutions are confusing at best and inexcusable. System transfer process was created by a seizing animal.
- no optical, no Ethernet... Not huge but to the point get with it people wan this stuff
- none of this will get fixed, Nintendo did not release a console with an hdmi port until 2012

Again not everything needs to be war shooters or halo but I would mostly like to see Nintendo take some chances with games rather than these retarded, no innovation weird controller choices which alienate and result in 95% shovelware and minigames. Even if Nintendo doesn't make it they approve it for their system and all those expensive nearly unplayable controllers are worthless. Again if Nintendo was innovative they would be using your existing tablet and doing their innovations through games and seemless hardware experiences.

F you Nintendo,
Signed a lost fan forever regardless of what you do with Zelda, metroid, f zero, 3d Mario outside of galaxy most overrated games ever, or smash brothers.

the people at cheapy's Thanksgiving probably thought he read about some new sex tape on his phone and needed to go watch on his laptop.

Amazon's BF was horribly orchestrated. Lightning deals galore just to get in those Walmart PMs while everything was already matched to BestBuy's. I was too late for anything I wanted at Microsoft. I did get a bunch of msp at Target but had to pay tax - weird as msp were not taxed at other stores when I last bought in 2011 (first time buying at a Target).

I was at stores on Wii U release day and don't recall seeing any units.
Saw a few this past Saturday.
Sunday, TRU had around 60 by my rough count (probably less as I doubt 9 units made up each "ring" in the displays). I was there on Saturday and pretty sure I would have noticed those displays.

entered for Half Minute Hero stuffs

Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse sounds like a game I would have picked up back in the PS2 era alongside stuff like Celebrity Deathmatch and Simpsons Skateboarding. You know, games that were only $20. Hint, hint.

Probably like most people, I decided to pick up the Wii U just to see if I could considering how difficult it was to find a Wii. I waited in line outside of Best Buy for about ten minutes and got one with no problem. Even the Reward Zone Event I went to last night had plenty to give away. I think the knowledge base is just not there. Not one person I know outside of avid gamers know that this thing exists.

But that being said, I am enjoying it for what it is and that's a machine that will allow me to play Nintendo games. I don't plan to use it for online gaming or for ports of PS3/Xbox games. If you can accept that, the Wii U is not a bad machine.

[quote name='bnl11311']Gotta talk some wii U. I'm sick of Nintendo fans that need to feel pandered to. I'm not sure if its the demo or just what but F them. Im not a nintendo hater or a troll but say anythjng negative and they will label you. there are a lot of Nintendo properties that I love. I also love final fantasy and square is ruining it just like Nintendo is with their garbage system. Asking a major player in gaming and your podcast host not to talk about it and his opinion if negative is asinine. His idea was good and better than more mini games like Nintendo is up to. How are minigames defensible? Retards like Audrey Drake at IGN who likely work promotion for Nintendo need to be equally as critical as Cheapy. How a company in 2012 can release a system which offers nothing but a tablet controller without a comprehensive online solution shocks me as a videogame fan and someone on broadband Internet for almost 15 years. The games are embarrassing, I don't know what else to say. The wiimotes usage alone is enough for me to never buy this thing bc Zelda and all their other games were unplayable last generation. I have more tvs, monitors, and tablets in my house than I could possibly utilize to have 2 screens and a very basic tablet as the selling point makes me upset the games I would want to play just won't happen. Some of my other issues are below. Basically though F Wii, Wii U, and F Nintendo fans who defend this abortion recently released to us.

- no up convert? Could Nintendo not get the same technology in my DVD player 8 years ago?
- no DVD or bluray in general?
- the pro controller looks like the design was done in the dark and while drunk. Do those face buttons look playable? No headset either
- how about a no tablet system? Bring the price even with 360/ps3 though without DVD and a significantly better online and entire interface hard to argue what the Wii U brings to the table other than Nintendo properties.
- 1 eshop. ONE. Have they not seen iTunes or PSN? These simply work an provide the customer a more seemless integrated experience. Spend 5 minutes less on Miis and 2 minutes logically thinking out what works and the minimum standards customers expect in almost 2013.
- Aren't people sick of running left to right in Mario yet?
- Dreamcast had a more impressive online lineup than Wii U
- lack of achievements really baffling, push for a social network with nothing to talk about
- stop protecting kids. Let parents do that, I consider most adult males who like Nintendo eunuchs at this point. Sorry animal crossing is not acceptable for a grown adult male to play or be excited about nor are nearly any Nintendo games the way they make them for all ages.
- storage solutions are confusing at best and inexcusable. System transfer process was created by a seizing animal.
- no optical, no Ethernet... Not huge but to the point get with it people wan this stuff
- none of this will get fixed, Nintendo did not release a console with an hdmi port until 2012

Again not everything needs to be war shooters or halo but I would mostly like to see Nintendo take some chances with games rather than these retarded, no innovation weird controller choices which alienate and result in 95% shovelware and minigames. Even if Nintendo doesn't make it they approve it for their system and all those expensive nearly unplayable controllers are worthless. Again if Nintendo was innovative they would be using your existing tablet and doing their innovations through games and seemless hardware experiences.

F you Nintendo,
Signed a lost fan forever regardless of what you do with Zelda, metroid, f zero, 3d Mario outside of galaxy most overrated games ever, or smash brothers.[/QUOTE]
There are fair and informative critiques to be made about Nintendo and the WiiU, The Bombcast was very harsh on the WiiU but everything they said was fair and objective.
The WiiU "discussion" on the cagcast, sounded just like the Obama "discussions" on fox.

[quote name='itachiitachi']There are fair and informative critiques to be made about Nintendo and the WiiU, The Bombcast was very harsh on the WiiU but everything they said was fair and objective.
The WiiU "discussion" on the cagcast, sounded just like the Obama "discussions" on fox.[/QUOTE]

Isn't fair and objective the Fox News motto basically? I mean you gotta see the humor in using their motto to both knock cagcast and compliment bombcast. There was nothing said about the Wii U which wasn't spot on. Nobody is rushing to the store to buy minigames or rushing home from work to get some more mii and minigames in. The guy is a father and he would not buy one for his kid. What could be more fair and what more do you need to know? People aren't buying the vita and the Wii U is struggling for the at least ten reasons I listed. What part was so offensive? Obviously American soccer moms agree with the guy. I think you need to get over your love and defense of a company and try some objectivity along with the rest of the Nintendo twihards.

Black friday was great to me. Bought a bunch of stuff off microsoft online, then went to the store and was able to get what I missed. They also had $25 off $75 coupons being handed out at the store, was able to get EVERYONE a game in my family.

Bestbuy was great for dead island and the sony 24in 3d display, went to two stores and both had a few instock where they did sell out fast online.

I would love a HMH watch!

Great show as always.

I did get an early Christmas present from Microsoft. I ordered Dishonored, Forza and Fable:Journey right away. I received Forza in one package, and the other two in a separate package.... TWICE!

I called M$ and asked if they wanted the extra copies back, because I didn't want to be charged twice. The rep said I was charged only once and I could just keep the bonus copies. He did say "Merry Christmas from Microsoft." Traded them in for about $45 at GS to put toward Halo 4.

Also, count me in for a watch and swag.

can you at least have jimmie mac on the show since you decided to do that horrible abortion on twitch with your son being annoying? thanks

I listened to the bit about Sports Champions 2 for $10. I missed out on that, but I did want it because I enjoyed the first Sports Champions.

Enter me in the Half Minute Hero prize pack please. Thanks!

[quote name='bnl11311']There was nothing said about the Wii U which wasn't spot on. Nobody is rushing to the store to buy minigames or rushing home from work to get some more mii and minigames in. The guy is a father and he would not buy one for his kid. What could be more fair and what more do you need to know? People aren't buying the vita and the Wii U is struggling for the at least ten reasons I listed. What part was so offensive? Obviously American soccer moms agree with the guy. I think you need to get over your love and defense of a company and try some objectivity along with the rest of the Nintendo twihards.[/QUOTE]

Their are fair critiques of the Wii U but at least half of your bullet points were complete nonsense. And your insults of Nintendo fans says more about you than about them... No one here is foaming at the mouth with Nintendo fanboyism so your responses are way overboard.

I think the point others were making is that there is pretty much no scenario whatsoever in which Cheapy would be interested in Nintendo's new console. He just isn't into their IPs, and he's made it pretty clear that for multiplatform stuff he'd go with 360 (or now PC more and more). So I think what people are getting at is that it isn't a useful discussion when he's got no interest whatsoever. If Nintendo had come out with a more powerful next gen system that dirched motion controls and aped what MS and Sony have done there would be just as many criticisms of that. It most likely still wouldn't be quite as powerful as their next systems so that would be viewed as pointless as well. At least they tried a different way and of you don't like it, then fine - but it wasn't some colossal mistake or insult that they came out with this system. It just isn't for some people.

My kids had a blast last night with the Scribblenauts game I gave my son for his birthday. Even my stereotypical 12-year old die-hard 360 fanboy son (who says a lot of the same kinds of things you do I might add ;)) insisted on having a turn with the gamepad.

Great show as always guys, as usual it gets at least 3 listens since I spend a lot of the time out of the house and it's always great to hear your voices.

I'm writing this response for a couple reasons:

1. I want to wish the Lawnmower ps3 a fond farewell and to ask Wombat to please be respectful of its last wishes as to being buried in the same landfill out in the Midwestern desert where the ET atari carts are buried.

And 2: I would absolutely adore a Half Minute Hero set and if I were to win one, would happily invite all three of you to drop by Southeast Michigan where I will treat you guys to cupcakes at the best shop in town.

See you (this) week, your adoring fan, Fairy Leviathan.

P.S. I recently picked up a copy of Saints Row the Third as part of Best Buy's black friday/brown thursday deal and I enjoy having Cheapy as a follower, for now it'll be simpler to take over the world!

[quote name='io']Their are fair critiques of the Wii U but at least half of your bullet points were complete nonsense. And your insults of Nintendo fans says more about you than about them... No one here is foaming at the mouth with Nintendo fanboyism so your responses are way overboard.

I think the point others were making is that there is pretty much no scenario whatsoever in which Cheapy would be interested in Nintendo's new console. He just isn't into their IPs, and he's made it pretty clear that for multiplatform stuff he'd go with 360 (or now PC more and more). So I think what people are getting at is that it isn't a useful discussion when he's got no interest whatsoever. If Nintendo had come out with a more powerful next gen system that dirched motion controls and aped what MS and Sony have done there would be just as many criticisms of that. It most likely still wouldn't be quite as powerful as their next systems so that would be viewed as pointless as well. At least they tried a different way and of you don't like it, then fine - but it wasn't some colossal mistake or insult that they came out with this system. It just isn't for some people.

My kids had a blast last night with the Scribblenauts game I gave my son for his birthday. Even my stereotypical 12-year old die-hard 360 fanboy son (who says a lof of the same kinds of things you do I might add ;)) insisted on having a turn with the gamepad.[/QUOTE]

Wow two kids like a new game, if they want to make games for 12 year olds or guys who can't afford some square footage in a home or think quality time with the wife is playing games in proximity of them focusing on your cheap feeling tablet controller while she watches tv than this is the system for you. Some of us act like grownups and arent into hundreds of dollars for shit. For core gamers and people with more than enough higher quality tvs and tablets than wii U we feel like Cheapy. Useful discussion. Amazing Nintendo fans can't even listen to Nintendo being called out or just hearing someone say they have no interest. There are so many issues with this system, the GameStop in CT I go their manager stated they have to ask people to buy like "if you want fries with that". If you want to buy a system for future Nintendo games enjoy but do you even think 12 quality Nintendo games will be released 3 years from now? How many as an adult male will even appeal to you? Be honest than go back to your 3ds and enjoy your Mario rpg sticker game as well.

^ I haven't picked up Paper Mario Sticker Star yet but I plan to some day ;). It's too bad you can't enjoy all types of games and have to stick to the macho shit.

And I never said there aren't issues. But some of the ones you brought up are meaningless. Oh, it can't play DVD's or blu-rays? Wow, how horrible. But then you contradict yourself above because I guess that would only be an issue to "guys who can't afford some square footage" such that they need one device to do everything. Most of us have a PS3 or, you know, a DVD player, to watch movies on.

Likewise with "upconverting". Who cares - I'm sure you think all Wii games are garbage anyway, so why does it matter if it upconverts or not?

I didn't want to get into a whole thing, here. But you need to recognize you are 10 times the anti-Nintendo fanboy than anyone on CAG is an actual Nintendo fanboy. Plus your ability to reason and comprehend is in serious question. This part proves that: "Amazing Nintendo fans can't even listen to Nintendo being called out or just hearing someone say they have no interest". That's not what anyone said - it is the very fact that Cheapy has no interest in it that makes it not a great topic for any extended discussion on the CAGcast. It's perfectly fine and understandable that he has no interest in it. No one is arguing that or trying to convince him to like it. It just doesn't make for great discussion - that's all.

And just to show you I don't think it is all peaches and cream with the Wii U, I'll point out what I think is the single biggest flaw in the system: the gamepad doesn't hold nearly enough of a charge. That session of Scribblenauts we had the other night couldn't have been more than 2 hours total and the gamepad ran down and we had to put it back on the charging cradle, essentially ending our ability to play. That is a huge flaw and would kill any extended gaming sessions with an epic game like Mass Effect 3 or any potential upcoming RPGs and the like.

I just might have to check out Rock Band 3. For the swan song of the plastic instrument genre to still get Cheapy's attention after all this time and not have been eternally shelved alongside the Kinect, it must be doing something right.

[quote name='bnl11311']Isn't fair and objective the Fox News motto basically? I mean you gotta see the humor in using their motto to both knock cagcast and compliment bombcast. There was nothing said about the Wii U which wasn't spot on. Nobody is rushing to the store to buy minigames or rushing home from work to get some more mii and minigames in. The guy is a father and he would not buy one for his kid. What could be more fair and what more do you need to know? People aren't buying the vita and the Wii U is struggling for the at least ten reasons I listed. What part was so offensive? Obviously American soccer moms agree with the guy. I think you need to get over your love and defense of a company and try some objectivity along with the rest of the Nintendo twihards.[/QUOTE]
1. I said fox not fox news.
2. Fox new's slogan is "fair and balanced".
3. Even if everything they said was accurate that doesn't mean that the omitted the the positive points, nor that disproportionally focused on the negative.
4. No other source I've heard from said they had trouble playing with the WiiPad a room away, nor did they imply that a consoles launch problems are representative of the consoles abilities.
5. Where did I ever say it was "offensive", and if I'm just some fanboy who is upset over criticism how come I had no problem with the bombcast ripping into nintendo? It sound like your the one offened over my criticism of the cagcast. I think you need to get over your love and defense of the cagcast and try some objectivity.

[quote name='io']^ I haven't picked up Paper Mario Sticker Star yet but I plan to some day ;). It's too bad you can't enjoy all types of games and have to stick to the macho shit.

And I never said there aren't issues. But some of the ones you brought up are meaningless. Oh, it can't play DVD's or blu-rays? Wow, how horrible. But then you contradict yourself above because I guess that would only be an issue to "guys who can't afford some square footage" such that they need one device to do everything. Most of us have a PS3 or, you know, a DVD player, to watch movies on.

Likewise with "upconverting". Who cares - I'm sure you think all Wii games are garbage anyway, so why does it matter if it upconverts or not?

I didn't want to get into a whole thing, here. But you need to recognize you are 10 times the anti-Nintendo fanboy than anyone on CAG is an actual Nintendo fanboy. Plus your ability to reason and comprehend is in serious question. This part proves that: "Amazing Nintendo fans can't even listen to Nintendo being called out or just hearing someone say they have no interest". That's not what anyone said - it is the very fact that Cheapy has no interest in it that makes it not a great topic for any extended discussion on the CAGcast. It's perfectly fine and understandable that he has no interest in it. No one is arguing that or trying to convince him to like it. It just doesn't make for great discussion - that's all.

And just to show you I don't think it is all peaches and cream with the Wii U, I'll point out what I think is the single biggest flaw in the system: the gamepad doesn't hold nearly enough of a charge. That session of Scribblenauts we had the other night couldn't have been more than 2 hours total and the gamepad ran down and we had to put it back on the charging cradle, essentially ending our ability to play. That is a huge flaw and would kill any extended gaming sessions with an epic game like Mass Effect 3 or any potential upcoming RPGs and the like.[/QUOTE]

Again be honest with yourself. It was like 3 minutes of discussion and most questions were passed to a Wii U owner. Anything negative about Nintendo should not qualify as not a great discussion. It is perfectly acceptable to hear people call out the fact a couple hundred people play blackops on Wii U while a couple hundred thousand play on 360 and ps3.

So again be honest more or less than 12 first party games in 3 years? How many do you want involving stickers? Grow up

For the guy who said fox and not Fox News... How many Obama discussions do you hear on fox? Fair and balanced is basically the same as fair and objective but obviously we are parsing too fine a point for Nintendo fans so enjoy your minigames and waiting for Nintendo to make half a dozen games in the next 18 months

Wow, first that delusional Wii U article on that SG website, and now something equally as, if not more, nutty on the opposite end of the spectrum. It's been quite a week on this here Internet.

Analysis: User continually resorts to straw man arguments and over-generalized insults. Avoids making any substantive argument or cogent and/or coherent points. D-style and signs of insecurity indicates college student, possibly high school.

Conclusion: Most attempts at reasoning will prove futile. User has convinced himself that he is undoubtedly correct and has formed a delusional, overly-simplistic scenario that he retreats to when challenged. Not worth the time or effort.

Am I crazy or do I remember there being a bet about family guy and the awful lip sync around E3? I could be wrong.

Also watches please.

[quote name='io']Damn, Wombat, Amazon would not give me $4.99 back when they dropped Battlefield 3 from $29.99 to $25. The rep went away for a long time, and came back and said that is against their policy. So, yeah, contrary to what Cheapy said, Amazon actually kind of sucks for price matching/adjusting. Any given rep is YMMV as Wombat discovered, but in general they do not do that sort of thing any more.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Amazon is totally YMMV as far as price-matches/adjustments go. Officially, they have no policy, so it largely depends on which rep you get, and even then, it seems like their default answer to any strange new queries is "no," unless there's a PR rep saying otherwise.

They did that with that awesome Black Friday Vita bundle, where the customer service reps initially said that people who bought it right after the price changed (but before the bonuses appeared) wouldn't get the bonuses, they apparently held to that line until AmazonJosh confirmed that anyone who bought it after the price change would get the bonuses. Certainly made me paranoid enough to cancel my initial order and reorder when the Gold Box section of the page was updated.

bnlwhatever - 12 great first party games in 3 years would be awesome! That alone would justify my purchase of the Wii U. I don't see what your point is in brining that up as a negative.

But yeah, I'm done here with the Wii U stuff. Ships point on the CAGcast was spot on - you buy the Wii U knowing you will get some awesome first-party Nintendo games, and maybe a spattering of unique third-party stuff (we already know we are getting Rayman Legends for example). Anything else is just a bonus IMO. I certainly hope it does better but with people like bnl there to deal with we can see what an uphill road it has to dent the core 360/PS3 market.

The Wii U addresses 3 of the biggest criticisms of the Wii:

1) no HD - solved
2) friend codes - solved
3) waggle - for the most part, solved (only need Wii remotes for local multiplayer minigame stuff)

Others are still too be determined (like online play, third-party support, etc).

I bought a Wii U for a couple reasons. One is that I like Nintendo franchises for the most part and the Wii U is the only place I am going to be able to play them. Second, there are literally only a handful of games I can play on my Xbox 360 with my 7 year old daughter in the same room. I thought Forza Horizon would be safe only to hear one of the characters utter the phrase "Ass Clown."

I'm sure this isn't an issue for most CAGs, but as an older gamer and parent, it is nice to be able to enjoy my hobby without having to wait for my daughter to go to bed.

everyone bought Sports Champions 2 because it came out less than a month ago and it was suppose to be $20 but they priced it at $10 as an error.

Oh and watch entry please

Loved your black Friday review. Was fun to hear about your Walmart experiences in particular. For me the games were in the meat department. And instead of a line it was a crowd around a pallet and as soon as 8:00 hit it was a feeding frenzy. The hour leading up to it was basically making deals with people on the other side to grab games for you while you grab games for them.

Also I would love that HMH prize.

bread's done
Back