CAGcast #305: The Shipwreck Shopping Hotline

I must say, I agree with Shipwreck. I too bought a Wii U at launch, and I have never been so underwhelmed with a new system. I will never forget the first time I booted up my 360 and played Condemned. I was truly blown away. Prior to that, I experienced the same feeling with Super Mario World and Super NES, Mario 64 and Nintendo 64, Dreamcast and Soul Calibur, etc, etc. The Wii U reminds me of the PS3. At launch, the PS3, one year removed from the 360's launch, gave us graphics not unlike anything we had seen on 360. Like the Wii U, the PS3 also launched with ports of games already available on other systems for much cheaper prices. However, it was the blu ray player that made me feel like I had my hands on a truly next generation device with the PS3. With the Wii U, that wow factor is simply non-existent. The feeling is more akin to “Wow, now Nintendo looks like 360 and PS3.” Despite those drawbacks, the one saving grace for the Wii U (at least for me) is the ability to play console games in a portable form. I love playing Black Ops 2, Assassin’s Creed III, and NBA 2K13 on the Wii U gamepad while my wife watches Real Whores of Orange County or whatever is showing on Bravo. Additionally, I’m somehow able to get reception in my bedroom. I’ll take Assassin’s Creed III in bed any day over Angry Birds or Fruit Ninja. For these reasons, I feel that the gamepad is the Wii U’s only innovative quality. As usual, Nintendo started it (i.e. force feedback and motion controls). Lets see if Microsoft and Sony can do it better.

[quote name='bnl11311']
Fair and balanced is basically the same as fair and objective but obviously we are parsing too fine a point for Nintendo fans so enjoy your minigames and waiting for Nintendo to make half a dozen games in the next 18 months[/QUOTE]
Maybe basically the same, but it is not ironic as you claimed it was. Aka you where totally wrong.
I have no plans on buying a WiiU so I have no idea what you are talking about.
Have fun watching fox, buying the same football game year after year, and playing increasingly crappier Resident Evil games.

Thanks Cheapy, Ship and Wombat.

Cheapy's comment on not getting any games on BF if he could had me wondering what his backlog consists of. I'd be also interested on what kind of backlog Ship and Wombat have, if any. I've been trying to chip away at mine but BF kind of ruined that plan. It also doesn't help that I've been wanting a 3DS XL for a while and the Best Buy deal is sorely tempting me. In my mind, I'd want to clean it up before I pick up a new system.

It seems to me that that the WiiU has been a pretty low-excitement system just as I suspected it would be. Until they get some serious games, and not just the Nintendo exclusives, they're not going to have much success breaking into the main sales.

Are there even new games out for the WiiU?
Have they done anything about the terrible online play that the Wii has?
What's the purpose of the Wii mini? It's got no internet connection; how are people supposed to watch netflix? (which is about the only thing it's good for anymore)

Put me in for the watch, it looks pretty sweet

[quote name='Martix_agent']
Are there even new games out for the WiiU?[/quote]

Zombie U for one.

[quote name='Martix_agent']
Have they done anything about the terrible online play that the Wii has?
What's the purpose of the Wii mini? It's got no internet connection; how are people supposed to watch netflix? (which is about the only thing it's good for anymore)[/QUOTE]

Well, first of all this is being released only (or at least test marketed first) in Canada so it is a non-issue for most of the world. But if it does come out here, it might be, you know, to play games? It is a gaming console after all. I'll repeat what many others have said about it in different threads: the Wii mini is not for you (or me, or most CAGs). But there are plenty of parents that might buy one for a kids room or something. Despite the utter contempt for the Wii on CAG, people continue to buy Wii games. I saw it myself at Best Buy tonight. A woman with a couple kids was buying some Wii games and checking out the Wii U. She wanted to know if the pad could be used on the Wii. When she found out it couldn't she didn't see the point of buying it and proceeded to ring up a couple of Wii games for her kids. So, yeah, one of the biggest disadvantages the Wii U has is the Wii itself, which is still going strong in the general marketplace (if not with the hardcorez). As for the Wii Mini, the only problem with is is that it isn't quite cheap enough since a "fullly loaded" Wii isn't much more. It ought to be more like $75.

A part of me is glad I didn't have to listen to a story about Wombat snagging that Vita deal, I had just missed it and hearing about it repeatedly on the episode would have sucked =P

I could definitely use the watch

[quote name='ILikePopCans']Million page views. That has to be like, $10 worth of ad money.[/QUOTE]

1,000,000 pageviews x $1 CPM (a low CPM) = $1,000

Just saying....

Great episode guys. Just wanted to say thanks Cheapy for the Forza Horizon recommendation since it is by far one of my favorite games of the year, and initially I was going to skip it. Also Wombat is awesome.

bread's done
Back