CAGcast #323: Clue Shack

[quote name='jollydwarf']Really? Did this happen with an update? At least for the first few years, this only applied to Arcade titles you redownloaded/transferred to different console or HDD. Unless these conditions are what you meant.

But nonetheless, this is the direction they (particularly Microsoft, generally the gaming industry) want. It doesn't mean they'll do it now, but I figure the goal is to wear us down, desensitize us to the concept, so that someday we have no absolute ownership of anything, and that they can effectively 'turn off' consoles once the next ones are sufficiently available and keep us in a perpetual subscription/rental model. I believe this is the case for all forms of entertainment, ultimately, unless there's a very strong pushback, which there won't be, because people love to complain, but are too big of junkies to detox. I see it everyday with sports fans. I think the analogy holds up for gamers:

[/QUOTE]

He's talking about the Xbox Live Indie games, not the Xbox Live Arcade. The indie games require a constant internet connection. Though I think the primary reason for doing that was to control content since none of the games had to go through the ESRB and were simply rated by other XNA users. By requiring a constant connection they could instantly block access to any offensive games that might manage to squeak it's way on to the channel.

[quote name='Curufinwe']I started playing Demon's Souls last month because of PS Plus, and I don't think it would be a great game for Wombat. Once you get over the hump it's not that difficult, and there are ways to make things easier on yourself (mainly using a good bow). But it's very time consuming and you can't pause the game, which is not ideal for a gaming dad with two young kids.

I'm surprised Shipwreck didn't stick with it, though. It's very rewarding once you have gained some levels, upgraded your equipment, and teamed up with random co-op partners to plow thru levels.[/QUOTE]

Also, once you clear a very small area around you (or in the Nexus of Demon's Souls or any campfire in Dark Souls), you can just leave the game since nothing will happen. I left it "paused" in that sense many times. Of course this assumes you are in soul form or playing offline so you can't be invaded...

[quote name='jkam']I think I'm starting to feel the same way about Nintendo that Cheapy does. Losing interest. The Wii U is just very underwhelming and I feel no reason to pick one up. I agree it might make more sense to make a more powerful 3DS with some sort of Airplay or HDMI function for the TV. Then they can focus on 1 platform that performs well and gets 3rd party support.[/QUOTE]

There was much discussion about Nintendo pulling their big conference in another thread. But my take on it is that their conferences seem to produce nothing but ridicule (especially here on CAG) such that I think it was a good move to pull the awkward event and just focus more on the games. A lot of people are jumping to conclusions about this move - it doesn't mean they have no games to show or are doomed to failure.

I have never been a big fan of watching any of the conferences. What I want to hear (or preferably, read) about during and after E3 is a summary of what each system will have, and any impressions of hands-on time with newly announced games. We'll still be getting all that info from Nintendo - just without the big auditorium presentation with awkward execs doing things like dancing around and playing air instruments...

Maybe they should all go that route, actually.

And I think the idea of ditching their home console for some sort of 3DS connectivity device is a bad one (even if it is a souped up 3DS as jkam suggests). I think they'd get much more ridicule from gamers if they did that. A lot of us still want to play Nintendo console games. The 3DS is a nice little machine, but it is no substitute for Mario Galaxy or Pikmin or Zelda or Metroid in HD. The 3DS graphics on a 55" TV would look horrible anyway. Nintendo came out with what nearly every fan of their games wanted: an HD system. That right there addressed the biggest drawback of the Wii. I don't get all the hand wringing and complaining about it. The Wii U is a perfectly fine system. It is just lacking games right now. And hopefully, just like with the 3DS, it will pick up momentum once they get some of their bigger games out there. It will never dominate like the 3DS does, but they can hold their own given their first-party titles.

[quote name='tenma']Great show as always, but I just wanted to address Cheapy's comment about hoping that Saints Row 4 will show Rockstar how to make a good GTA game (or something to that effect). I don't think Rockstar needs to compete with or tap into Saints Row's ethos just as I don't think SR needs to tap into GTA's ethos. I think it's great that both games can serve different needs. I loved Saints Row 3 for it's raw, unadulterated outlandishness but still prefer GTA IV (and the GTA franchise as a whole) for its atmosphere, more tempered gameplay and cinematic qualities. If I can get a Saints Row 4 that's like 3, but better, and a GTA 5 that's like GTA IV, but better, I'll be ecstatic. They're their own individual brands and them embracing their own qualities just gives the gamer even more choice and variety.[/QUOTE]
This. Saint's Row is meant to be a sandbox of chaos and hilarity, and GTA is not. Cheapy doesn't seem to like what GTA aims for, and that's that. It's not the game's fault, and it shouldn't change because of that. It's just not for him. (And there isn't any problem with that, either - you don't have to like both games just because they're somewhat similar.)
I'm with you - I enjoy Saint's Row (although I've only played about half of the first and still haven't finished the 3rd yet), but I much prefer GTA. I don't want to see GTA become more like Saint's Row, since they're different for a reason. Homogenization is generally not a good thing in this case.

[quote name='Jasper Kazai']This. Saint's Row is meant to be a sandbox of chaos and hilarity, and GTA is not. Cheapy doesn't seem to like what GTA aims for, and that's that. It's not the game's fault, and it shouldn't change because of that. It's just not for him. (And there isn't any problem with that, either - you don't have to like both games just because they're somewhat similar.)
case.[/QUOTE]
I think he is referring to the gameplay not the tone of the game. I found saints row 3 to have more varied mission than GTA, there where very few missions that I felt where a chore in SR3 but in GTA I find myself grinding through missions to get to ones that will be fun.

One of the main differences is mission structure. In GTA you have mission where you drive 5 minutes to some location, avoiding pissing off cops, because a lone cop can rip you out of a car going 90 mph, to whom your character surrenders to with out a fight despite being able to take on an army. Then you have spend another 5-15 minutes doing something tedious like a stealth mission or finding packages ect... then you get to fight bad guys which may or may not be good. But you also have to defend an AI character/not let your car get damaged/some other arbitrary and random event. Then if the loaded dice roll of the AI not being stupid doesn't go your way you get to start the whole mission all over again.
Not only do you not really encounter these kinds of mission in SR the have mechanicslike check points and "No super cops" to make bad mission not frustrating.

I also feel SR3 embraces the open worldness of the game better. The side missions where you have to blow up every thing, or kill every thing or get run over in the funniest way possible. It's things that almost everyone likes to do in open world games anyways so why no incorporate it into the game.

[quote name='itachiitachi']I think he is referring to the gameplay not the tone of the game. I found saints row 3 to have more varied mission than GTA, there where very few missions that I felt where a chore in SR3 but in GTA I find myself grinding through missions to get to ones that will be fun.

One of the main differences is mission structure. In GTA you have mission where you drive 5 minutes to some location, avoiding pissing off cops, because a lone cop can rip you out of a car going 90 mph, to whom your character surrenders to with out a fight despite being able to take on an army. Then you have spend another 5-15 minutes doing something tedious like a stealth mission or finding packages ect... then you get to fight bad guys which may or may not be good. But you also have to defend an AI character/not let your car get damaged/some other arbitrary and random event. Then if the loaded dice roll of the AI not being stupid doesn't go your way you get to start the whole mission all over again.
Not only do you not really encounter these kinds of mission in SR the have mechanicslike check points and "No super cops" to make bad mission not frustrating.

I also feel SR3 embraces the open worldness of the game better. The side missions where you have to blow up every thing, or kill every thing or get run over in the funniest way possible. It's things that almost everyone likes to do in open world games anyways so why no incorporate it into the game.[/QUOTE]

Alright, those are all fair points. Personally, and I realize this is a personal opinion, I don't mind most of the "boring" missions (not saying they're great and a blast, but I don't usually hate doing them). I don't see much of an issue there, but yes, I suppose it's not for everyone. As for blowing shit up, that wouldn't fit into GTA's theme. It's right at home in SR, but GTA always goes for a more realistic feel. (Key word: more. Not completely.) Although it does look like Trevor's character in GTAV will have a lot of crazy, SR-esque shit going on. Definitely not going to match SR's level, but it will be crazy for GTA probably.
The only real issue I see in GTA's missions were the lack of checkpoints. HOWEVER, seeing as just about every Rockstar game released since GTAIV (RDR, LA Noire, Max Payne 3, and even the Ballad of Gay Tony DLC) have checkpoints, that's not going to be an issue anymore, most likely.

I don't have a strong opinion on Batman vs other super heroes, but I saw this today and immediately thought of Wombat and Shipwreck:

7KxVfmp.jpg

I know the CAGcast isn't interested in kickstarter or a donations page, but have you guys considered merchandising? I know I'd happily buy a couple CAG cofee mugs if they were available.

bread's done
Back